OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Good morning all. Yesterday was NOT a good eating day - the only snacks I had in the house were terrible! So last night after dinner I went to the store to lay in some decent snacks - things like goldfish and pretzels to satisfy my salty/crunchy cravings with less fat, and some berrie$ to put with my plain yogurt, and low fat cheese sticks. John is gone, so I think I will fix Carrie and I some salmon for dinner tonight, with green beans and a salad. (John doesn't eat fish or seafood of any kind, ever.)

Yesterday I took Elise to my son Brad's open house at work - it is the only day of the year they let non-employees in the gates. So I (along with a friend and their son, who is contemplating a job as a technician there) got to see some of the projects he is working on, and now have a better feeling when he talks about his day at work. I took Elise and she was very good the whole time. Then Brad took Elise and went to Rossanne's Christmas party at work with her. So she had a very social day! Today I am taking her while I get my hair cut. My stylist is the daughter of our day care provider from when the kids were babies, and is just two days older than Brad. I think I'm going for a slightly different style, with bangs. I hate my hair hanging in my eyes, and the style I've been having her cut it is too long in front but not long enough to go behind my ears.

Bert, your cookies look great! The only cookies I pipe the frosting onto are the gingerbread men, and those will get made this weekend. I normally use frosting out of a can, but this year I made the buttercream with the non-dairy margarine so Rossanne could eat them. Karla, I know it is better with real butter, but we are compromising these days. I just used my normal vanilla and it turned out white enough for cookies. Might be more important on a cake.

The recipe I use for my sugar cookies is the one from the Pillsbury cookbook I got as a wedding shower present 35 years ago! Again, this year I used margarine and almond milk rather than butter and cream, and they are almost as good. I looked online and the recipe posted is not the same. I'll try to take a picture of the recipe.

Today after my haircut I really need to buckle down on Elise's stocking! I am only about half done :open_mouth:
  • EniadS
    Here is my sugar cookie recipe. I can’t find this exact one online, so I had better not lose it!e2h9y1vcr11v.jpeg
    j5ggu4w4o5xd.jpeg
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Hi ladies. A whirlwind day! I'm at the doctor with my brother Kevin. He has been off his BP medicine and I am getting him established with a good internist to get his medical needs addressed. He is also coughing and feeling bad and has had sleeping issues. We both missed lunch and will grab a bite before we head to look at the puppies.

Bert- you asked for sugar cookies and I gave the frosting. Silly me. Sounds like you are doing great on your gym, cooking and family time.

Diane- I will print that rolled sugar cookie recipe! Next weekend I was having the grands make and decorate cut out Christmas shapes. I just bought a stocking shape one. Elise was quite the social butterfly.

Janet - you sound so happy and relaxed my dear friend. I'm so pleased for you. You are getting all things accomplished.

I'm trying to think of a name for my little miss.

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
    vec7ekavr0it.jpg
    Making Turkey Cranberry Pinwheels and Shrimp Deviled eggs this morning and then finalizing my outfit for tonight. It has all come together nicely.

Karla
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good Morning, Ladies. Dress rehearsal for the cantata is this morning. Thanks, Diane for the sugar cookie recipe. I'll print it out when I get home. I'm making more this afternoon for church tomorrow. Be back later.

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    i3k91b94xp24.jpg
    urm9upoeb5ov.jpg

My cheese tray and shrimp deviled eggs. Yum.

I'm so excited about tonight!!

What I'm even more excited about is fitting into my size 12 Bandalino jeans I found in the back of my closet.. I about cried. Merry Christmas to me!!

Bert - You are Grandmother of the year along with Diane!!

Karla
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Karla, congrats on the jeans and have as much fun at the party as I know your guests will have.

Bert, hope the cantata sounds divine.

Diane, does Elise have a cute Christmas outfit?

Cindy, is there snow in the ground that I can enjoy vicariously?

Much to do - been working on little stuff, now time to buckle down. Later!
  • KarlaLM58
    Ladies,

I am so very EXCITED!! Shopping in the back of my closet this morning I found my size 12 Bandalino jeans. I thought, what the heck, I tried them on and they fit!! Lord have mercy, I am wearing them today with a new cute blouse I bought. I saw it in SteinMart in the petite section and asked the saleperson if they had it in the ladies section and she said no, but some people can wear it in the XL in Petite, so I tried it on, and it fit!! It is fun trying on clothes again.

Bert - You are having so much fun this holiday season. I enjoy reading your post and all your activities. I printed Diane's recipe too and will hole punch it and put it in my kitchen recipe binder.

I thought I sent this earlier..

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
    Janet - Would you help me with a name for my puppy? I will post a picture of her Monday. You have such beautiful names in your vocabulary.

Karla
  • bertevans
    Diane: thanks for the recipe. I printed it and made this batch of cookies for church tomorrow

gurdnf7d2epv.jpeg
    7s7uazwtdp2l.jpeg
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. It's Cantata Sunday! We sing both services, so I'm up early to (1) wake up, and (2) drink enough coffee to help make my throat ready to sing. Mike has sinus issues this morning, so I'm hoping he'll be ok. He sings bass, and I sing tenor. Every year my voice gets lower. I used to sing high soprano back in the day! Everything's going "lower" these days! ;) (except my weight!)

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • JP_in_KY
    edited December 2017
    Bert, hope Mike's voice held out - basses are a rare commodity. How did it go? Gravity gets us all in the body and voice - I used to be a solid second soprano but my upper range has vaporized. The thyroidectomy contributed to that, as does the Sjogren's. My voice has gotten quieter too, which is odd. Adapting to change is important as we age.

Karla, bet your party was fun. Millie looks very cute - what will she think about having a baby sister soon?

We stayed up late last night and it was very relaxing. James made himself a giant bowl of soup at 2 AM! I have a couple of must-dos today but am also scanning and trying to clean out & speed up my computer. Yep, I'm just a party animal.

Did pretty well on food here - small servings and not too many snacks. Far from perfect but I'm OK with that - sometimes putting pressure on oneself creates a boomerang effect. For now, I'm letting my body tell me what it wants and allowing my mind to help me say no (or yes to a small portion).

Wishing everyone a lovey Sunday!
  • EniadS
    Good morning all. The weekend was busy - I made the gingerbread men on Saturday plus another batch of Raspberry chocolate bars, and we had a boy scout Eagle project working in the basement shop. John thinks this one was #28 of projects built in our shop over the years! Yesterday ( had to read at early church, the children's pageant was at late service, and the rescheduled Christmas party was last night at some friends. (Rescheduled from last weekend because of our snow.)

Eating has been terrible. Janet, I think you have the right idea of just try to keep portions small and not stress too much. This time of year is always stressful. I think of years past when I was working, and I don't know how I ever had time to do it all!

This is my last week with Elise full time. Next week her parents are off, and after that she starts daycare. That frees us up for our ski trip and travels, but I am sure going to miss having her every day! I think I will go get her from daycare at least one day a week for the afternoon. I am so blessed that they live close enough to do that.

• EniadS
    Karla, the food for your party looked divine. I bet your outfit came together well too. Was everyone totally wowed with the new you? What breed of puppy will you be getting, and how big will it get?

Bert, I used to be a soprano, and now I am an alto. (Though our church choir is small enough the director was still having me sing soprano!) I only know the soprano parts of many things - singing along to the Hallelujah chorus is really hard! I don't know the alto part at all.

Oh and Bert your cookies looked terrific! I hope you like the recipe - it is one I have used for many years.

Janet, I hate doing computer stuff! I need to clean out my phone to try to speed it up. Sounds like you and James are both night owls - well suited when it comes to sharing the house. One of the hardest things for us is Carrie is a real night owl, and we are morning people. So sharing the house can be a problem because she wants to do stuff (and make noise!) after ten pm, and we want to do our stuff at 7 am! We are each trying to respect each other's needs...except of course for Elise who arrives at 6:15 and about 7:15 is crying about going to sleep for her first nap!

Back later. I need to make a big push on the stocking today.

Diane
  • KarlaLM58
    y6qn7ataqmxf5.jpg
    I got my puppy today. The mother was drained of calcium and they needed to be bottle fed. She is a cutie.

Diane- the mother is a six pound a Shih Zhu and father is an eight pound Yorkie, so small. I have put picture of her here.

Still trying for a name.

Back later

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
    ygfcqq83mbtv.jpg
  • KarlaLM58
    fmux42lgluj2.jpg
  • JP_in_KY
    Karla, she's adorable! Looks like a little panda bear - so ... Panda? And her nose looks like a little star - so ... Stella?
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. I'm heading to Chicago today for a quick trip. Dylan's Choir concert is tonight. I'll travel back tomorrow as everyone is busy and the kids are still in school. Mike is working tomorrow, so he won't be able to go.

Karla: Your puppy is darling!

Have to go and get ready. Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    Good morning ladies. My little baby was great last night. Just like a baby woke every 3-4 hours for her milk and back to sleep. I am working from home today and also working on the throws I have to get done. I am going to make my little sweetie some blankets for her kennel.

Janet - those are some adorable names!! She does look like a Panda bear!! I saw the Panda's on TV this morning with the mother dragging her baby around and didn't catch their names.

Bert - Thank you, she is precious. She growled and barked at Glenn this morning. So she is a strong girl too. lol.

I'm getting back to work, have a great day.

Karla