OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Happy to say the back spasms have stopped and I attribute that to giving it some rest. Whatever the reason I hope it is gone for good. My daughter invited me to share lunch time with her today. We have been trying to find time for each other and this was a nice way to just visit. She works 10 minutes from me so we just hung out in her lunch room while she ate. We are still trying to find our way in this relationship but agree we want it to continue in whatever form we can both handle. Still boggles my mind that she is a part of my life after all these years. I hate that she never got to meet my dad but it was not meant to be. I know he is smiling down on us and is glad that she found me. He would have loved her I am sure.

Jeanette, thank you for the suggestions. I don't care for tea and am very, very careful with any sort of supplements because of my hypertension. You are so gracious and giving to your son-in-law. It may be just the thing he needs in his life to become a better man and father. In the long run it will be good for the girls I am sure.

Sure wish my stamp would come so I can get this whole invitation thing done. In my mind's eye I can see that it will be just the right thing for the band. Hope I'm not wrong because I don't have a backup plan, lol.

Patti
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Patti: so glad your back is better.
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Jeanette, brava for taking the high road regarding the young man. Your compassion will pay off for him, for your daughter and for their kids. As for the parody singer, it was probably Allan Sherman. I seem to remember the "5'2" parody was part of a medley/patter routine. I can still sing a boatload of his songs, as can one of my best friends. He and I have been known to burst into one in unison, surprising whoever else is around. We just KNOW the other is going to and chime in.

Patti, great news about your back. Glad you and Susie made time for one another. What a pair of gifts you've had -- getting your mom nearby after years of trying, and then getting to know the woman to whom you gave birth.

Bert, hope you and Karla get your Garmin connection finalized -- it'll be fun for you both, and the other members of the group.

Cindy, hope you are on the mend in familiar surroundings.

Two rounds of errands and a flock of computer tasks kept me busy. Going to bed early tonight -- need solid sleep and have no need to be up early tomorrow.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
  • luzingg
    Options
    Quick stop and a question for you all. Well for anyone who happens to wander here today. If you have a double yolked egg does it count as 1 egg or 2? It had very little white to it. This is one of the farm fresh eggs from NC. I have never had a double yolk before and it immediately made me smile and think of my friends that so generously shared their home and eggs with us. And as a bonus, I cooked the most perfect over easy egg I have ever made. Great way to start my day. Now off with my Mom for cards and lunch. I did get my lace stamp yesterday and the belly band has been approved by the bride to be. The band has their names repeated several times and then I stamped over that with a pale pink using the lace stamp. I am pretty danged pleased with the result I might add. I did get the rest of them put together last night. Just need to make 88 bands and I am done. I think that will be tonight and tomorrow. Gotta run, Mom will be here soon. She has to pick me up because the van broke down again yesterday and that leaves me with no vehicle. Edd has his work cut out for him today.

Enjoy whatever you have planned for today. Leave room for surprises because they are always out there just waiting to make you smile, don't miss them
    Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Bert, I sent you the invitation yesterday. It is in your garmin app on your phone. Click on the triple lines on the top left, then on GROUPS in the list and should show the invitation. I will be under connections until you accept the invitation in the group. Then you will be in the group "ladies ready to lose".

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Gosh, all these posts showed up after I posted to just Bert's post that was showing. LOL.

Patti- I would think two yokes would count as two eggs, or at least 1.5 if there was little white, but as you know from tracking, egg whites, they count as very little part of the egg. I hardly ever eat yokes. I confer with Janet , onyour blessings of your mother and daughter. I know your mother will enjoy herself today. How wonderful to be able to include her in your stampin' up luncheon and club. It is a two-fer, she get's out and you enjoy her company yet again.

Janet- My Spring cleaning continues. I am going through my chest of drawers this morning and reorganizing my office shelf. I hope you get some rest. Please try and give the On Demand a try on your TV. It will save you time and space on your DVR. Plus, there is so much there you don't record that you can watch, both movies and shows.

Jeanette- I also confer with Patti and Janet on your positive influence on the father of your grandchildren. I know you will enjoy the FitBit. I wish you had gotten the Garmin. You could have been in my walking group. It is the best one if you are interested in swimming. Which, is why I purchased it. It is the best for swimming. I have an inground pool and should be starting to swim by May.

I better get back to my chores. Glenn has the day off and we want to get out this afternoon and spend the day together.

Karla
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Karla, you're right -- I should use On Demand more than I do. They never have free movies I'm interested in but this year may be my year to start buying the occasional movie. My issue is that I almost never get to just watch something straight through! Yesterday was a great example -- was on phone pretty much solid from 4-11 with various friends -- all great conversations. Hoping for a quieter day today. Have fun on Glenn's day off.

Overate a bit yesterday and don't feel first-rate this morning but coffee and Excedrin will work their magic. Trying to decide what today's prime task will be. I have a recipe for a chicken/avocado/lime soup to try soon; if it's as good as it looks, I'll post the recipe.

Going to try to buckle down and DO today. Wish me luck!
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Janet- Sometimes I have to watch things several times on On Demand to get it all watched, but that's fine. It came in handy when the storm came through on Tuesday and my recordings for NCIS was all newcast. I had to wait a couple days for it to show up, but still got to watch this week's episodes of NCIS and NCIS New Orleans. Dish Network was much better than UVerse about keeping lots of Seasons and all episodes. UVerse is very limited. I am researching what to do as my contract with them is up in June. I use NetFlix a lot and the Roku Tv are interesting. I will have to keep the UVerse for my internet though.

Glenn is going at his closet. Very nostalgic as he has some unmentionables from the 70's. LOL. Lot's of shoes to take to the Goodwill and many things to shred from his first marriage. He showed me where he had to take his first wife off his checking account because he couldn't trust her with money, but then showed me where she wrote checks anyway. Oh well, not the case with this wife.

It is sunny, but quite cool, mid 50's now, but we had frost this morning. I have completed the cleaning out of my very tall chest of drawers, resulting in two bags ready for the Goodwill. I am having a Greek yogurt, doing my 20 minute strength training dvd, and then continuing with my business shelf organization. Then, I think we will get out for a bit.

Karla
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!
    Got my fitbit, not sure I'll keep it though. I have to have it within inches (it says it can be up to 20 feet away or something like that) of the dongle for it to sync and it tracked 10 minutes less of exercise than what I actually did...we'll see. I did look into the Garmin products but when I looked at reviews all the bad reviews for fitbit products were about little things like the display wasn't what they expected and the Garmin bad reviews were about the product not working right.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, I am off to get as much school work done as I can and then to spend the rest of the day playing with my favorite 2 year old :smile:

Grace and peace to you
    Jeanette
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!
    Missed checking in with you all yesterday and have just now caught up on what is happening in your lives. I continue to learn and grow through your experiences and insights.

Yesterday morning I realized that my left foot pain (extensor tendons?) wasn't going to heal fully with the hill hiking I normally enjoy so much. What surprises me is how depressed I feel to have to stay off my feet and be this inactive! Any extension/flexion of the foot would aggravate it, so I picked up some K-tape and learned how to apply it with some online videos.
    It is supposed to help improve blood-flow to the area and brace the tendons when I'm active.
    Sometimes I'm just supposed to be STILL, I know I am stubbornly resisting this ... silly me! There are other options, like upper body weights (sitting and reclining) but I'm just in a "poor me" kinda mood. There - confession and venting done! Many of you face greater challenges.

Thank you all for understanding my pity party.
    Hugs,

MaryLynn
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Jeanette- There are pros and cons on all of them. I did my research also. I went with Garmin for the 5 rating of the water proof, not water resistance. Plus, my best friend Tammy, whom is a nurse, and husband is a doctor, highly recommended it. Another plus to the Garmin is you don't have to plug it into your computer, you don't have to charge it either for two years. I have only had mine since Christmas, but have not had any problems. I am only using mine to track steps, but it is tracking properly. It is not as expensive as the FitBit as you can get it on Amazon for $79.99. I never take mine off. I bath and shower in it with no issues. As far as my exercise tracking or heart rate, I don't fool with that. I will track my laps in the pool when that starts up. My friend, Ellen, up in NYC, she uses the Garmin, and is an avid swimmer in contests, etc. She is in my walking group also. Enjoy your sweet Alanna. I love the name btw. We get Izzy back this evening, the parents are going to a cheese cake party.

I am making an old recipe of mine that I updated with ground turkey, I'm going to see if I can find it on the internet so I can import it into MFP. It is Mexican Cornbread Surprise and I have been making it since the 80's, Yum. the meat is made as taco flavored and is between the cornbread made with half the seasoning mix and corn, yum.

Remember, new goal in ALL CAPS...

KARLA
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I’m back! I actually got back very late on Thursday, but yesterday was so busy I never even had time to sit at the computer for one minute.

My trip was exhausting, not weight friendly, but terrific! Or those who don’t know, I’ve worked as a civilian for the Navy for almost 33 years, worked on submarine design all that time, did a bunch of work on them in port, but have never been underway on one. THIS was the trip! I was only on board for a little over 30 hours, but it was the culmination of a career’s worth of work, so very rewarding. I spent some time in command and control, and the rest at our test equipment, and really had a fascinating voyage, albeit one I can’t talk about much. The Captain came by and talked to us for a bit, and just before lunch the day we got off had a “honorary submariner” ceremony for me and the one other person (also female) who were underway for our first time. He actually remembered much of what I had told him I do, and made a big deal of telling the crew how much civilians like me do to support them.

So, flew down on Sunday night, to the island on Monday, did a bunch of walking because there is no real transportation on base except golf carts and they hadn’t been able to get one for our team’s use, mostly standing while on board, more walking around the island when I got off on Wednesday, then Thursday flew home with three flights so a long day of traveling.

Eating was terrible. Both on base before and after the sub ride eating at the dining hall, and on board, the food was very carb heavy. The veggies were mostly canned and overcooked, and on board they were near the end of a significant time at sea without resupply, so no fresh produce at all. (Very little on base either – they are on an island and get fresh produce only once a week, and it was mostly gone.) My four veggies a day did not survive the trip. My scale was pretty kind this morning, so maybe just walking and being on my feet kept me from gaining too much. On the boat there is really no place to sit, so I was on my feet for almost 30 hours straight.

While I was gone John picked up my new car! We got a Jeep Cherokee. He drove my old one to the dealer to trade it in, and the transmission quit on him in their parking lot! So very glad they took it, and I have something new to get to know.

Yesterday we went back out to my nephew’s who lives about two hours from here to finish plumbing their new master bath he is making in former workshop space. It was more complex than we thought, and we didn’t leave there until after 8 last night (with a two hour drive home!) After we left he sent us a text saying he had notice one joint (that he had glued) looked like it was leaking, he touched it and it sprayed all over! He had NOT glued that joint after all. Everyone does it once. He was able to get it fixed on his own, so he learned well. (He had never done any plumbing before.)

Today I just am trying to get caught up. No personals, but I have tried to read everything from the week.

Diane
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hello all.... just a quick check in to say thanks to Karla for posting roster and goals for a couple weeks..... good timing too.... as i did something to my back yesterday morning! and I hadn't yet read about Patti's back spasms! I'm still not sure what i did.... i was bent over the sink, washing my face.... felt a sneeze coming on but didn't think anything of it.... until i felt a pop in my lower back.... i can't tell if it was a lumbar vertebrae or the SI joint that made the sound, but I haven't been the same since. grrr. I had been babying a sore right shoulder, and now this.... my 82 year old mother is in better shape, LOL (her birthday is tomorrow)
    this too shall pass. Hope you are all having a nice weekend, and Cindy recovers asap from the flu

Myra
  • luzingg
    Options
    Karla, did you know that AT&T and Direct TV are now one company? You can just add the DirectTV to your Uverse account and it is all one bill. Just a thought.

Janet, hope you had a good productive day with no phone interruptions.

Diane, what an amazing trip it sounds like you had. Sorry about the food but you must have been so proud to see all your hard work in action and then to be so honored by the Captain. It gave me chills. Sounds like you are picking the perfect time to go for retirement. Plumbing is not for the faint of heart and I don't know anyone that hasn't had a leak or an unglued joint at least once. It's the mistakes that make the most indelible impressions. I have had my fair share of lessons as we built the cabin and remodeled our house. Boy you cldn't have gotten your car to the dealer a moment too soon. You are going to love your new Jeep.

Mary Lynn, so sorry to hear about your foot problems and the resulting depression. Glad you came here to vent and have your pity party, we all do it sometimes and somehow it makes it seem not so bad.

Myra, I hope your back pain clears as quickly as mine did. Just take it easy and take care of yourself.

Jeanette, your Fitbit will store the info in the device until you go near your computer with it on and the dongle in place. There is a margin of error in them all but I can tell you I love mine. Have had it for almost 3 years. I just upgraded to the HR and gave my Flex to my daughter. The best thing is if it doesn't work right or has any problems in the first year, you just call them and they send a new one, no questions asked. Almost all my friends and family have one and we have all been super happy with them. I don't swim but I wore mine in the river and in the shower with no problems. Not sure which one you have but give it a go for a bit before you send it back. If it continues to be way off it may have a problem and you can call and have them send you a new one.

My Mom hit a pole on her way to my house this morning. When she turned onto my street the sun was directly in her eyes and she hit a short wooden post. Just dented the front quarter panel, cosmetic only, but she was so upset. Her car is 14 years old and this is her first wreck. She had a nice time with me and the girls while we stamped. Then lunch at our favorite Mexican place. All in all a great day. She said she doesn't think she will be going to any more of our stamp classes, she just wanted to see what it was like so that when I go she can picture me there. I really had a great time with her and the girls. Have so missed our stamping group. Now I am back to my craft room and vow to get these invites done!

Patti
  • luzingg
    Options
    My OMG: GET 10K STEPS PER DAY
  • JP_in_KY
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sticking with my goal for Leap Year week: AT LEAST 5 SERVINGS OF VEGGIES PER DAY.

Good morning. Had a good food day and stayed fairly filled with quality food.

It's going to be a beautiful day here. Not sure what I will do but I'll be sure to get outside this afternoon.
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning ladies and welcome to a beautiful Sunny Sunday. My plans today are to finish up my office area, balance my checkbook, bathe Izzy and head out to get some colorful perennials for my pots around the pool. Glenn is already out back doing his man chores.

I have noted Diane's, Patti's and Janet's request so far on weekly OMG update.

Above is the link to show the waterfall in North Alabama I had mentioned earlier this week. My nephew had put it on facebook. A great picture of it.

Jeanette- I never thought I'd like a gadget attached to me letting me know my activity level, especially if I was being lazy, but it has really been a motivator for me. I find myself getting up during commercials and rounding the house. Diane giggles at me, but found herself doing the same when she was short once. It counts! I cannot figure out how to make my strength training register on MFP though. I must not be entering it correctly. Using the five pound weights makes a huge difference from 3 pounds weights. Especially the floor exercises. Glenn told me yesterday how very proud he was of my continued exercises for the last five years.

Myra- No problem at all with me doing the Roster. You have been an absolute gem to do it. So sorry to hear of your injury. You baby it and I'm sure it will subside. I say the same of my 87yo father. He gets around better than I!!

Diane- I cannot express how honored I am when I read your post and the service you accomplish for our country as a civilian. It is a joint operation, as it is with my husband and the ships he builds, he definitely takes both sides. How very impressive the skills you acquired and utilize in your career. You will be a huge loss when you retire!! I did miss you terribly! I noted your MG and will post this evening or in the early morn.

Patti- I knew that ATT owned DirectTV but did not think about that option, thank you. I will have to give that a review. You would think they would offer the same amount of data with both, but maybe not. Sorry about your Mom's fender bender and your car issues. Is your convertible broke down too? Plus the van?

Oh yes, Diane, congrats on the new vehicle!!

Marylynn- Sorry to hear of your injury dear. Definitely hard to keep a good girl down. I know you love to hike and be outdoors. Have you see a doctor? Or have you had this before and know the treatment? Don't worry about venting with us. We are all friends here for whining, venting and meltdowns. We also celebrate non-scale victories, scale victories, milestones, special occasions, holidays and such. Can you tell I am from the South? lol.

I better get my day going, I awoke at 4a, watched a little tv, went back to sleep, and woke back up at 7a.

Karla
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

Thanks for your encouragement. I am thankful that the foot is already feeling better after just one day of rest and taping, which is also encouraging! This week I will be continuing to take it really easy, which means I will focus on (OMG: UPPER BODY STRENGTH TRAINING & PLENTY OF PRODUCE). Will also adjust the daily calories downward accordingly with the reduced energy output. Need to be aware of "false hunger cues" that are simply boredom, while recovering this coming week. Wanted to just drop in to say HI and also change my OMG for the week, before heading out to church this morning. Catch you all with personals later today, hopefully.

MaryLynn
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    MaryLynn, you're right to take care of that foot -- better for the long haul. "False hunger" is my big bugaboo -- o matter how hard I try, it's a sneaky thing.

Diane, how cool to have been on the sub. I'm thrilled that you received credit on your voyage for what you do for the program. I salute you! Congrats on the Cherokee -- what color? Everyone I know who's had one really likes it and it's perfect for your coming adventures.

Karla, have fun with Izzy. The waterfall is spectacular and not something I think of when Alabama comes to mind. I hope to do some adventuring around Kentucky once the house stuff is under better control.

Patti, hope your mom is OK. Did she try stamping with you? Do post a pic of the finished wedding invitation -- finding the right belly band was such a quest, I'd love to see it.

Doing laundry and other things around here right now but thinking about zooming to Lowe's for a few things this afternoon, just because it's nice out. Maybe a nap because the Oscars are tonight and I always watch, mostly for the clothes and perhaps a chance to see Clooney in a tux.

Later!