Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    edited February 2016
    Jeanette, very little sleep here last night. Thank heaven for strong, black coffee!

SO much organizing left to do here but I am motivated. Had to put a halt to things last year with all my surgeries but now is the time to stay on it. My wardrobe is a big task and I'm doing other things first. It will all be done in time.

Patti, yes, let's get together soon. Miss you too!

TT: My landscape guy came by yesterday. The peonies don't like my front bed so he'll replace them with low, purple butterfly bushes and if I can afford it, another one will replace the plant I don't like at my mailbox (it has really dark leaves and pink flowers). The back bed is getting replaced, except for the lilac bush I love. Somehow it ended up with red roses (not a fan ofd red roses -- yeah, I'm weird) and the other perennials I did like got pulled two years ago by the FORMER lawn guy who "thought they were weeds." It'll all depend on the cost but it'd be nice to rethink and get the red and pink gone -- I tend to prefer whites, yellows, purples, even orange flowers. The bed in front of my house also has four white hydrangea bushes, which I love, and they seem to be doing OK. I don't dig in the dirt because it hurts, but I do plan to get some pots and try growing a few things on my deck in small containers.

TT2: No vacation planned as of now. My next trip will be a sad one -- my best friend's father is in comfort care and will likely pass soon so I will be driving to Ohio to honor him. He helped make the decision -- so sad, such a sweet man. Hoping to visit friends in the Carolinas, GA and Chicago, and my niece in OR this year, and to attend a post-destination-wedding party for my best friend's son. I really want a getaway just for me and will find a way, I hope. Always a function to attend so Real Vacations stay on hold. It'll happen -- just not soon.

My cleaner is here and then I go to the dentist to pick up my new night guard, then to furniture store because an order got lost and the small pieces I ordered no longer exist anywhere in their system. Sigh ...
  • JP_in_KY
    p.s. -- MaryLynn, thanks for the gorgeous photo. We've been through three seasons so far today. Was basking in warm sunshine at 11. By 1 it was pouring and now it's cold, rainy and very windy, with flurries possible. In for the night here. Whew.

Planning to turn in early tonight. Have to take my Bella to vet tomorrow for bloodwork and annual exam, which is not easy to accomplish (she's crafty and shy so it's tough to pluck her up and get her into the carrier). Wish me luck!
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Nurse Karla checking in. I just gave Glenn his two allergy shots, one in each arm. This will be every Wednesdsy with the dosages increasing each week. Much better than my wound care position with him last year!!! Lol. I tease him, this is my first go around with an elderly husband. Lol.

Bert- I have taken the pictures for you and will post them next.

Janet- I am working on Spring cleaning in my bedroom. Organizing my multiple jewelry boxes. I purchased a gorgeous Fossil Purse today that is a Robin egg aqua blue, beautiful cloth inside, perfect condition in soft leather for $ 10.00!!!!!!

I better return to my chores,

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good Morning, Ladies. Yesterday's storm was interesting: Rain, sleet, snow, and then high winds last night. Mike got home safely! The roads are clear this morning, so I have errands to run. Have a great day.

Karla: I have the first one! I love it! I also have the earrings to match. I like the second one as well. I'll see what "damage" I can do during Mike's "convention"!

Bert
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Bert, we had much the same weather but on a much lighter scale I believe. Just a dusting of snow but it is snowing now. Not calling for more than an inch so no worries here.

Mary Lynn, what a gorgeous natural wonder. Thank you for sharing. You are so lucky to be in such a beautiful area with your love of hiking. I'm one of those people that when I despair or feel like life is not going well all I have to do is go outside and drink in the wonders there are to behold and it restores my faith in life.

Had a great time at Zumba last night and came home ravenous, which is unusual for me. But I analyzed it before I started gorging and realized I was actually stressed and not truly physically hungry. So I waited for an hour before I allowed myself to have a snack. Kept me on plan and made me truly look at why I wanted to eat. For me that is progress. I usually eat first and analyze what I did wrong after. My scale is moving a little so am hoping that will continue as I continue to make better choices and keep my activity level up. I have hit over 10K steps the last 3 days. It is always easy on Zumba days, have to really work at it on TRX days, most of that is done standing in place. Today is circuit this am and TRX tonight. Need to clean the snow off the car before I do anything, well I do I have to get dressed first, lol
    Patti
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Good morning ladies! It is a bright sunshiny day here today. I might have Miss Alanna for a bit today so will take her outside to play a bit;
    she loves being outside

MaryLynn – Thanks for sharing the beautiful picture! It must be wonderful to get to hike in such beautiful scenery. I am an optimist; it's
    just the way I am made. Not to say I don’t have my down times, but usually can see the rainbow through the clouds.
    I think too that with all I’ve been through I’ve drawn close to God in a way I never would have without having been as sick as I was. That has
    made a huge difference on how I look at things, how I process things and how I deal with them.

Myra – Chair dancing definitely counts! Hope the new therapy does wonders for your hip. And thanks for keeping the roster and goals
    updated; I sure appreciate your continued effort on that

Karla – I agree with you that we need to be honest with ourselves. I also decided not to try to “hide” anything anymore; I came to realize that
    I was the only one I was hiding from. So if someone asks my age, weight, whatever, I decided I would just be as straight forward with that as
    with everything else. Oddly enough the day after your TT question one of my college kids was asking about how long I’d been dancing and
    teaching which led to telling him how old I am (something I don’t usually share)

Janet – I am sorry you are so against exercising; though I think I understand a bit the why of it. It seems like you’ve been very successful in
    getting healthier anyway so that is a huge victory for you! Also, I hate coffee almost as much as you hate exercise. We didn’t have a coffee
    machine for many years because the smell of it in the morning would literally make me nauseous.

Bert – when I was a kid some friends of ours had an album of a guy who did parodies of songs…I don’t remember his name. but the song
    that goes through my head is “5’2, solid blue, 5 transistors in each shoe….” :smiley:

Patti – Sounds like you are being smart about your eating, that is great progress!! A better NSV than losing inches, as far as I’m concerned.
    As we understand ourselves better we can change what needs to be changed and emphasize what is positive. Well done, I know we don’t
    know each other well but I am very proud of you!

TT: I am not good at gardening. Currently all the plants I have are hardy plants that can survive without my care. I am hoping to learn more
    because I would like to do well with plants, but that will have to wait in line with other more important things.

TT2: We don’t generally plan big vacations (anything more than a weekend) but every few years. We went on a nice vacation to Logan,
    Utah for our 25th anniversary a couple of years ago. This year we are hoping to introduce Alanna to hiking and camping, but will not likely
    go for more than one night. I am supposed to be doing my practicum this summer so will not have time to take a longer vacation.

Hope you all have a wonderful day
    Grace and peace to you
    Jeanette
  • JP_in_KY
    edited February 2016
    Patti, sounds like good changes are clicking in for you. Hooray!

Bert, you can always check the website before you go ...

Karla, beautiful pieces!

Jeanette, you exercise for me and I'll drink coffee for you! Literally any time I moved as a kid (or eve wore shorts or a bathing suit), I was made fun of at best, and there was much worse, even when I was just trying to be a kid. And given my orthopedic situation, I maximize what I can do but have found my own way to lose weight ("get healthy" isn't the way I think of it because too many people use "health" as a proxy for body shaming. I KNOW that's not the case here though but am very careful in the world at large never to equate "thinner" with "healthier." Thinner is thinner, period.

Must make this quick before I head out for manicure -- two of my shortest nails have dewep vertical splits so it'll be glue time. Still have about 575 calories left for the day so hoping to stay firmly on task. Wish me luck!

Bella's little heart sounded great and she got her rabies shot and bloodwork. She's on meds for hyperthyroidism (she's tiny -- only 7 1/2 pounds) and has had a small kidney stone for years but is doing very well for 13. We'll check her dosage when results come in. It's traumatic because my cats leave the house only to go to the vet. Poor Theo yowled inside the laundry room right after I closed the door into the garage. Happy reunion ensued. His turn comes in a couple of weeks.

Back later -- just wanted to say hello to all.
  • luzingg
    My goodness, where is everyone today?
    Jeanette, I am with you, always try to look on the bright side of things. I once told my cousin (who is a very negative person) that I wouldn't let him dull my inner sunshine. They do refer to me as Susie Sunshine, which is even odder since my daughter's name turned out to be Susie. Wonder if her parents named her that for a reason. Wish I could ask them but they are no longer with us. Well, that was a random bit of stream of consciousness wasn't it. Anyway, just thinking how much your posts always make me smile.

Janet, your poor kitties. So traumatized with more to come. Hard to imagine when Frankie loves to travel and there are times she will just sit in the car if the door is open to make sure we don't leave without her, lol.

Out of nowhere this morning, as I was walking out the door to go to the gym, my back went in to spasm. Never had that happen before. Nearly brought me to my knees. I walked slowly and got to the car and the gym. By then it was a bit better but not completely gone. I was very careful with the exercises I did. In this class there are stations set up with 2 exercises per station and we do each exercise for one minute, take a 15 second break and then do the next exercise. We then repeat that station before moving on to the next. There were 2 or 3 exercises that I knew would cause great pain so I opted to do some stretches for my back during their allotted one minute. As a result I had no increase in pain. I have been very careful the rest of the day. TRX was cancelled because they were painting the gym. Can't say I am disappointed. I think my back is very happy to have the rest. Will do Zumba/Pilates in the morning.

Hope everyone is safe and well and hope to see more checking in soon
    Patti
  • Java_Mom115
    Java_Mom115 Posts: 43 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hi everyone! It's been a busy week for me so I've been quiet. Too far behind for personals but the weather has been crazy. Windy last weekend, which caused some roof damage, and a snow storm yesterday and today, which prompted daycare to close early Wednesday and to close today, and the public school to close today and tomorrow (back roads are still a mess). I have a board meeting every Thursday, and thankfully we were able to convene the meeting via teleconference but this week has been crazy with the logistics of setting it up. Anyway, that's done and we survived the week until now :)

Hope you're all well!
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies.........I'm up early this morning. I just couldn't go back to sleep after getting up with my dog, Molly. Today is the seminar for student teachers and then I'll get ready for our weekend. I'm looking forward to nicer weather this weekend. It's supposed to be in the 50's and 60's....I'll take it since we had a snow storm on Wednesday.

Patti: Take care of your back.....I hope it was just a flare up for you.

Bert
  • JP_in_KY
    Gee, we seem to have a quorum early today - TGIF, all.

Beth, glad technology made things easier up there Thursday.

Bert, have fun. You are such a great role model for aspiring teachers - especially when great math teaching is so important to open STEM opportunities for kids.

Patti, ouch! You know I can relate. Hope the back pain and spasms were a short-lived fluke.

Hoping to rev up for a good-busy day here.
  • JP_in_KY
    Just heard from Cindy - she is home from her business trip but down with the flu - says she feels like she's been hit by a bus but asked me to let you know she's safely home.

Traveling while sick is the pits. She had a rough time on the flight back but will be resting at home this weekend.

In lesser medical news, My little Bella's bloodwork looked good (liver, kidneys, etc). Her thyroid level has crept up a bit do we're raising her dose of thyroid-suppressing meds and will check again in a month.

Back later!
  • KarlaLM58
    Good morning dear OMG friends.

Janet- Thank you for letting us know about Cindy. So sorry to hear of the flu for her. Your little Bella sounds pretty darn healthy for 13. How do you administer the pills? Or is it liquid for the thyroid? You are such an excellent pet mommie!

Patti- I hope your back has subsided. Sounded like just a fluke. Your immediate attention to it probably did the trick, which, being a nurse was spot on. So glad to hear of your scale starting to cooperate. I'm thinking mine is starting to stick!!!

Beth- There has indeed been some crazy weather around the county. So glad you and your family have survived and we all have made it to the weekend. Technology does enable us to complete tasks without being there!!

Bert- I know you will have a lovely weekend. Will you be visiting the Brighton store there? We just had a ball in there. I love the way they serve you bottled water and cookies while you shop. LOL. I will definitely be returning when we vacation with the grandkids in April for Spring break. We will be there again for 4 nights then.

Marylynn- Your waterfall was breathtaking. Believe it or not there is a nice waterfall up in N Alabama in Gadsden, where my youngest brother lives. There is a nice State Park there also. Noccaloola Springs, I believe it is called, not sure of the spelling. LOL. My granddaughter Chole, is going to Gatlinberg next month with her HS Band group and is going hiking there in the Smokies. She is so excited.

Jeanette- I loved the chair Salsa dancing. That guy was a riot. Yes, being honest if part of the weight loss game for sure. Unfortunately the scales don't lie. Neither does the tape measure. But together they do tell our story. Timing is everything and it is our choice on how often we check our progress and whom, if anyone, we care to share it with. Has the father seen your tiny granddaughter yet? My grandson, JJ, whom is 12, telephone me last evening and is coming again this weekend. I missed him last weekend. He asked could he come earn some money at my house as he needed a new headset for his xbox. Of course I said yes, and that i missed seeing him. I have been through the mill with my son's ex-wife, and still have flare-ups on and off. We grandmothers are caught in the middle with our adult children. I am with you on seeing the challenges our own children have created. LOL.

Yesterday's TT#1- I purchased some Scott's Weed and Feed fertilizer for my lawn and Chris is going to spread it for me. JJ is going to pull some weeds. We have had such a mild winter the weeds are year round. I am going to work on my back flower beds. Izzy and I are going to work outside this afternoon after picking up some bedding plants for the vegetable garden. I also need some flowers for the mailbox planters.

TT#2 - I think I have mentioned most of my planned vacations. I do want to get a visit over to New Orleans soon. I moved some points over to RCI and have been searching for rooms over there. I want to take Chris and Brittany over there for their graduations.

Well, my tummy is grumbling for food. So I better find something nutritious for it.

I will be updating the ROSTER the next two weeks to give Myra a break. Please put your mini weekly goal in ALL CAPS this weekend so I can be sure to catch it and update it. You can put it here or on the roster board, or both. Think hard on what you really need to concentrate on. Change it up, do something different!

Karla
  • luzingg
    Good morning all.
    Janet, thanks for the info on Cindy. Poor thing. Nothing worse than traveling, especially in a plane, when you are sick. I hope she rests and recovers this weekend. I know Rick will take good care of her. Great news on Miss Bella's blood work.

Beth, sounds like a mixed bag of messes in your neck of the woods. Glad it is over and you got thru it with only minor damage. So nice to have you stop by.

Karla, your weekend sounds like fun work with the grandkids.

My back is still acting up. Not as bad as yesterday but decided Zumba would not be the best for it. Going to give it a break today and plan to do some pilates over the weekend. It just feels like a spasm, something I have never dealt with before so am taking extra care not to aggravate it. Today I am going to finish up what I can on the invites, nothing more strenuous than that. Tomorrow I will be out the door early to pick up Mom and go to my GFs for cardmaking and then lunch. It is snowing today and supposed to be in the 50s tomorrow. Awwww winter in the midwest!

Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    Bert- I finally sent you the request to the group of my walkers on Garmin!! Please accept and you can see the other four of us and how many steps we all get each week and whom is in the lead each day.

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
    The group is "Ladies Ready to Lose" and runs from Monday to Sunday each week.

Karla
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Good morning ladies! Yesterday it was warm enough here that Alanna and I played outside for a bit and I opened my windows to air the house
    out for a couple of hours...it wasn't quite warm enough to keep them open longer than that! My daughter and her soon to be ex-husband both seem
    to feel that their meeting yesterday went well and that they will be able to sign the agreement in the next couple of days. I talked to the dad a bit
    and told him since he doesn't have any kind of adult support in his life he is welcome to talk to me any time. Though I don't like how he treated my
    daughter or how he ignores Alanna when she is with him, I do know he had a rough childhood and could do with an adult he can trust in his life. Brian
    (that's hubby) is still very angry at him, but I can't help but feel for the little boy who never really got the parents he needed.

Janet - I bequeath to you all my coffee privileges of any kind from now until forever! I'm sorry if I struck a nerve; sure didn't mean to. I was just going off
    of things you've said here. Also, glad to hear the kitty is doing well :smile: We have a 12 year old cat who seems quite healthy; she still runs every where
    like she has from the time she was little.

Patti - I am sorry your back is giving you trouble! Do you drink tea at all? Chammomile is a nice mild muscle relaxer. I don't know if you are on any meds
    but if not (or if you check with your physician) Valerian root is a stronger muscle relaxant you could take at night. I will warn you though, that it stinks
    pretty bad; hubby calls it "butt root". Anyway, either of those might get it to relax a bit.

Beth - hang in there! I hope your weather clears soon! or at least calms down a good deal.

Karla - I have been thin most of my life so this extra weight thing has been eye opening. One thing I have picked up on are mannerisms
    of people who are uncomfortable with their weight. I noticed some things I was doing then I'd see others doing the same things and think
    "ah, they are trying to hide" because I know that is what I was doing. It took me a while to realize I was only hiding from myself and that I
    wasn't fooling anyone but myself. That salsa chair guy was a riot, huh? There were other kinds of chair videos, but I tend to gravitate toward
    those really energetic "big" people so I chose that one to share.

Cindy - sorry to hear you are dealing with the flu while traveling...for business no less! I hope you recover quickly and fully before having to get back at it.

Well I ordered a fitbit and it should come today. I've owned Polar HRM's in the past but the fitbit was pretty highly rated so I thought I'd give it
    a try. I think for me it is important to truly know how many calories I'm burning, not only to not over eat, but also to make sure I am eating enough.
    I don't know if my body is quite ready for me to not eat back at least most of my exercise calories.

Have a safe, wonderful day
    Grace and peace to you
    Jeanette

• bertevans
    Karla: where do I find the Garmin Group? On MFP or the Garmin App? I know I accepted your request, but haven't found a group yet.

Bert
  • bertevans
    Karla: I see your name under connections but that's it