OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Here is updated Roster:

Karlalm58 - Karla - AL(gulf coast)- Continue to work on Water and do lower body training x3
    Luzingg - Patti - OH - GET 10K STEP PER DAY
    Jp_in_Ky - Janet - KY - AT LEAST FIVE SERVINGS OF VEGETABLES EACH DAY.
    Cindy619 - Cindy - MA - DRINK PLENTY OF WATER WHILE TRAVELING
    Smack59 - Suzi - OK - TRACK IT ALL!
    bertevans - Bert - IN - drink water and get 10K steps each day.
    Eniads- Diane - MD - TRACK EVERYTHING I PUT IN MY MOUTH.
    LCUConley - Lisa - ON - Track No Matter What
    68Myra - Myra - NC - Drink water and Smile!
    Blessed Beyond- Vikki - VA - workout 4 days a week, 4 days cardio, 3 days strength training; come in under calorie goal 5 days this week
    Xjsjaguar - MaryLynn - VI, BC - -UPPER BODY STRENGTH TRAINING & PLENTY OF PRODUCE
    LivLovLrn - Jeanette - OR- EAT 3 VEGGIES EVERY DAY
    Java_Mom115 - Beth - MI -80 OZ WATER DAILY, 6 WORKOUTS, TRACK EVERYTHING
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

Don't forget to exercise your right to vote if it your State's time. I will be doing so today for Alabama.

Cindy- I hope you are recovering. Taking in the fact that you have not have time to check in it must be a doozy of the flu. Please know that we are all praying for you.

Janet- I'm glad you weren't blown away when checking and correcting your outside bins in the winds! Did you get a restful night by any chance?

Patti- Prayers for your BFF for Wednesday. This week is a mixed bag for you with that surgery and your mother's party. I know your emotions are all over the place. You say you are dealing with stress and trying to get your heart in the right place, so sorry to hear that too. Please know we are all here for you. Frankie is very luck to have her own couch. Hang in there my friend.

Myra- I updated your goal. How is that big smile going? I am also bummed that DiNozzo is leaving NCIS. I wonder if it is a spin-off? I also enjoy NCIS New Orleans. Did you realize that New Orleans is only 2 hours from my home? I go there often. Actually Patti and I went over there and spent the night while she was down here visiting me.

Jeanette- How is your cold dear? Subsiding? Is Alanna better? Was the Tango and Salsa Rueda Class well receipted and enjoyed? I bet it was.

Bert- I updated your goal. I am go glad to see you on my Ladies Ready to Lose group!

I better go jump in the shower. I will be weighing in this morning. I did a sneak peep yesterday and was not pleased. What's up with that? I've been so darn good!!

I'll be back before I leave to report my weigh in.

Karla
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies.....I'm heading to my thyroid/endocrinologist doctor today. I hope my weight loss shows on their scale....I feel good. My best friend always travels with me to my doctor appointments and then we go out to lunch and shop. It will be a great day.

Karla: Thanks for updating my mini goal. I didn't make the 10K, but got 7K. Not bad for me. I hope you are satisfied with your weigh in this morning.

Have a great day.

Bert
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone- I know it has been a while but today is the first day I feel more like me. Still have a heck of a cough and wheeze and may need to go back to the doctor- still going to bed with sun but I'll get better slowly if I listen to what the body needs. Still not eating much, yes lost 9 pounds but that is what a lack of appetite will do. Not a good way to lose but maybe it will be a jump start to the next phase.
    Arizona was great until the plane ride home, nothing like having chills and a fever at 30k feet. My presentation went great - I didn't work Thursday or Friday and yesterday went tot he office but left early. Today I'm here and other than using the inhaler already doing OK.
    I have packed soup for lunch- we shall see if breakfast excites me in a while.
    I haven't had time to ready what everyone has been up to.
    Thank you for the healing prayers- I haven't been this sick in years. Guess the stress finally did me in- :)
    Need to run for now but I will be back.
    Patti- not sure how good the blog post was- I really wasn't into writing this weekend but I made a promise to myself to do one per week- so that was all I could come up with. Thanks for the encouraging words..
    Until later
    Cindy
  • bertevans
    Options
    Cindy: So glad you are feeling better.

Bert
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

I read a blog from "Hello Healthy" on the MFP home page that explains dietary fats and found this bit particularly interesting and encouraging for those who are getting up and walking throughout the day. What better motivation to get up and move, especially after a meal!

"In addition to tasting good and giving foods moisture, dietary fats also slow down digestion. This contributes to our feelings of satiety after a meal and slows the rate at which sugars from carbohydrates enter our blood stream. Shortly after a meal, dietary fat is digested into small chains of fatty acids in the gut. These fatty acid chains are then picked up by our intestinal cells, reassembled and packaged into vessels called chylomicrons, which are sent off to muscle and fat tissue. Once the chylomicrons arrive at the tissue, fatty acids are again released to be taken up by muscle and fat cells. How much fat goes where? Well, if you go for a walk after eating a meal, more fatty acids, as well as glucose, will be delivered to your active muscle tissues to meet their energy demands. If you lay down to take a nap, more of those fatty acids will be stored away in fat tissue simply because they’re not needed immediately for energy."

Happy Super Tuesday to all of you!
    MaryLynn

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Good morning -- March is coming in like a lion here -- thunderstorm is beginning. One cat hiding and the other firmly anchored to the bed.

Bert -- Good luck at the endocrinologist. Bet your hard work will pay off on the scale. My thyroid situation is still messing my system up -- hope as things settle in, we can find a medication that works well and doesn't make me ravenous.

Cindy -- Glad you are semi-human. Please make sure to get quality protein into yourself as you recover, and please don't push yourself too hard this week.

Karla, fingers crossed for your WI.

Suzi, love the pics from your trip. Saguaros are so bizarre and majestic. Nice to see Tulip as well, so we can picture you and Dave on the road!

New month, new start for me. Did pretty well yesterday but succumbed to cookies. I have given up pizza, candy and pretzels for Lent but have used the "I didn't give up cookies" loophole a few times and am ashamed of that. So am adding them to the list for the rest of Lent (though if I succumb on my birthday, so be it).

Trying to get my coffee doing its job so I can get busy. Organizer comes today and I need to choose a task for us to focus on.

Have a great day.
  • xjsjaguar
    Options
    Thanks to Karla for sharing those "wisdom nuggets"! While several of them had me nodding in agreement, this one particularly resonated for me:

"I have to prepare in advance for sabotaging thinking."

Personally, the "brain battle" may be the toughest one to tackle, as those subtle little negative messages creep in unwanted! What armor can prevail against my own mind? Even when I realize that thoughts become behaviors, I can still be sabotaged by that little voice inside.

When life brings disappointment or even frustration, the volume of negative self talk rises.
    The lies we've listened to, the comparisons we've made, the goals we've failed to reach; all these things tend to derail my positive progress.

So, then recognize that lie and replace it with the truth. Repeat the truth. Write it down. Post it somewhere visible. Whatever it takes. Do Not Compare. Period. When comparisons start - and they will thanks to marketing minds - deny them ANY traction. I am a unique creation. Celebrate that truth! Focus towards new goals, instead of mourning unmet expectations. Keep the goals small, reasonable and reachable. Celebrate every small step and yes, smile!

MaryLynn
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Happy March 1 everyone!

Patti- hope you truly enjoyed your lunch with your BFF’s. will be praying for the dr.s working on your buddy tomorrow. Hope your headache is now gone (i wouldn’t jump with a headache either)

Janet- I would have had no idea how hard it was for you to post your adorable picture, so thanks for sharing that. I’m camera shy too, though i’m told i have no reason to be. I like your new month, new start motto :)

Cindy- glad you are back “in the land of the living” as my mom would say. hope you continue to recover… so avoid stress as much as possible!

Karla- i’ve got my smile on… might not be big, but it’s a smile! i’m certainly guzzling the water :) I have a sister-in-law that recently moved away from baton rouge, so I am somewhat familiar with the New Orleans area. Although I have only visited New Orleans once, and that was in 1992!

Bert- good luck at the endocrinologist and enjoy the day with your best friend :)

MaryLynn- I hope your foot continues to feel better. thanks for the info on dietary fat. :) I’m with you on the sabotaging thinking, so thanks for sharing those tips!

Myra
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Well I am feeling a little better today; and had a great time teaching classes yesterday. I always ham it up with Tango in telling and showing the kids it is a dramatic dance, and the other class seemed to really enjoy the little bit of Salsa Rueda I taught. Tonight is my night to teach littles and then adults at the studio. I can tell I am feeling better in general because my choreography is better; dances for both classes are coming together pretty well! Our recital isn't until the first week of June, but I like to get the dances done earlyish to have lots of time to polish them.

Myra - the fitbit seems to be ok. I like the tracking of my sleep pattern, though it tells me I was "awake" once and "restless" 29 times last night. I can tell you I woke up (even if for a couple seconds) many times last night, not just the once. At least it gives me a better idea, though, of where I am at. I also am happy to be able to track my exercise; I had been logging around 300 calories for my teaching on Mondays, but thought it must be more than that....this week it was almost 800! Oooooo allergies are no fun; hope you have a good remedy to give you some relief!

Patti - praying for wisdom for your BFF's docs and that the operation goes extremely well. I look forward to hearing how your mom's party went :smile:

Janet - Well, I love the picture you did post :smile: and think you are adorable according to that picture. I have never cared for my picture taken either.

Karla - I am feeling better today, thank you. And I got to see Alanna yesterday for a bit (her dad asked me to take her to her dance class....he usually takes her) and she is better too. Our primary elections aren't until May!

Cindy - Glad to hear you are feeling better, don't do too much too soon! Take care of yourself

Since I don't have to work until this evening I have the day to take care of a few things but mostly just relax. I hope you all are having a good day and that signs of spring are showing up wherever you are.
    Grace and peace to you
    Jeanette
  • xjsjaguar
    Options
    Patti - Wonderful that you were able to enjoy a leisurely lunch with someone so close to you! When you take the time for quiet reflection, healing has a chance to begin. Finishing those gorgeous invitations is such a huge accomplishment that has brought so much joy to you and others you love, too. Will be mindful of your day tomorrow and in prayer for the surgeons skilled hands. Also for you, that you sense peace and are able to share it with her husband.

Karla - Thank you for updating our mini goals. This is such an important part of the process, that we are reminded weekly of small steps we can take towards positive progress. Speaking of progress, no matter what that scale says today, you ARE making such headway every day!

Bert - Hope the doctor visit offers some new insights and positive feedback on your efforts. Enjoy your time with your friend. What a great idea to combine the two! Well done on getting in 7K steps! You are always moving to get that amount in daily. Have a terrific Tuesday!

Cindy - Glad to see you back and hoping that your system fights off that virus effectively, so that you can return to normal activities. Sounds like everything is a real EFFORT at the moment, so will continue to pray for your strength to get through this ordeal. Listen to your bodies needs and try to find something easy on your system to replenish those cells that are overworked at the moment. Pleased that your good presentation came before the virus did!

Janet - I can almost see your little fur buddies cowering from the thunderstorm. Poor babies! Our irish setter is terrified of thunder too and refuses to be comforted until it is over. Pouring rain here today too, but we don't get the thunder here, so the dogs are sleeping peacefully. Enjoy another organizational day and perhaps share some good ideas that they offer with us! I hear ya about the cookies, with the only solution for me being to not bake them in the first place. I did make some seed/nut/cranberry squares, but even those are calorie intense, so I've wrapped them individually to take along when we are "out and about" and froze them.

Myra - Great guzzling on the water... it makes a huge difference to reduce phantom hunger messages and quickly becomes habit! Smiling (even a little) seems to cue our brain to positive thoughts too, so thanks for reminding me of that powerful tool. My foot is definitely a lot better and I think the K-tape has really helped in the speed of healing, along with the resting. Fortunately, it is a rainy week forecast here, so hiking wouldn't be a whole lot of fun anyhow!

Jeanette - Pleased for you on your recent purchase to get a handle on how many calories are being burned with the teaching, as well as the information about how well you were able to sleep during the night. I've never thought about getting one, until I read about everyone's enjoyment of the input received from them. When we had the treadmill, I enjoyed getting that data, so maybe I ought to consider one, too? Those Tango and Salsa classes sound like such fun and it is great that you get so much out of it too! Hope you fully heal and can continue this level of energy LONG into the days, weeks, months and years to come! Glad you're here!

Thankfully, my own little setback is quickly improving and hope to be back in full form soon.

Hugs,
    MaryLynn
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Rainy day here but visiting with Mom brings a ray of sunshine into my life. She has bought the portrait story hook, line and sinker. She went and had her hair cut yesterday and has already picked out what to wear. She wants us to all go out and eat afterwards. I hope,the party will not be a disappointment! Thinking we may have to just schedule a real portrait shoot soon. She did mention again that she has never had a birthday party, this after I remind d her that her birthday was Thursday. She was truly clueless. My scale did not move this week but I lost another 3 inches and that means so much more. Unfortunately none of those were off my hips or thighs which are my real problem areas. But I do like my waist getting smaller.

Jeanette, good to hear that you and Allana are feeling better. You make me want to dance whenever you talk about the classes you teach. Do you think you will be able to share any of the recital with us?

Mary Lynn, thank you for your insightful mantras. I am going to print out the last paragraph of your post and try to incorporate your eloquent, positive self talk. I AM unique and need to believe and celebrate that more.

Cindy, boy that virus really did a knockout on you. I think your stress levels have suppressed your immune system take good care of YOU because you are so worth it.

Janet, I am right there with you on the New month idea. I really want to get the whole plan working for me. I seem to get so easily derailed and think that my lack of focus is partially contributing to my current state of mind. Have fun with your organizer. Hope the poor cats are more relaxed by then.

Karla, hope your WI went well. If not what you expected it can be contributed to your travel last weekend. You are doing it right on every front. Keep up the good work

Tracy is going to FL and on a cruise with her parents Thursday, so jealous, but I always miss her when she can't go to the gym with me. So will have to forge ahead on my own.
    Patti
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Just the usual workday today – meaning long and stressful. However, if the kitchen closes NOW I will have stayed within my calories plus those I earned through exercise for the day! Going to have a nice tall glass of water and then try to stay away from the kitchen until bedtime. Maybe I’ll go brush my teeth.

I need a mantra that will deter me from snacking during my witching hour - between arriving home from work between 4:30 and 5, and getting dinner ready. We eat relatively late because daughter who lives with us generally gets home around 6:45-7.

Patti and Janet, I’m with you on the new month! What can we do to get our heads back in the game and focus on the whole plan together? Karla is definitely “in the zone” and I wish I were! Karla, if your scale wasn't nice to you today I bet it will be tomorrow. You have just zoomed down the decade!

Cindy so sorry you are under the weather. Unfortunately, those illness losses rarely stick, but as I recall you were also really in the zone before this last trip, so hopefully you will get back there soon.

Suzi you are traveling to some wonderful places! I love the Grand Canyon.

Bert hope your Dr. appointment and lunch went well. I think you are doing great on your step count for still being in recovery mode from your surgery.

Myra I’m glad your back is healing up. Take it easy for another day or two!

MaryLynn thanks for the info from that blog. I need to remember it and get at least some movement after I eat. I tend to eat breakfast and lunch at my desk, and after dinner I either sit and watch TV or at the computer, so that is advice I really need to take to heart.

Jeanette I love your enthusiasm for your dance classes. I danced as a child, but when I got married my husband hates to dance, so I really haven’t danced since. I like things like Jazzercise, but I have become hopeless ungraceful and uncoordinated.

One TT I haven’t commented on yet – jewelry! I love jewelry and wear it every day. My jewelry is not extravagant – the only real gem I have is on my engagement ring, which I’ve barely ever removed in 34 years. I buy most of my jewelry either at craft shows or while traveling – love the Southwestern style! I always have on a necklace and earrings, plus my engagement and wedding rings. I’m not a big bracelet fan, or rings other than my two.
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Good evening, everyone! Watching The Martian (how can you not love Matt Damon?) after a long but productive -- and under calorie target -- day. New month, new resolve.

Patti -- I'll be sending up prayers for your friend and her care team tomorrow. So glad your mom is psyched for the photo shoot -- what a terrific ruse!

Jeanette -- Tango! Such an intense, smoldering dance.

Diane -- I'm a jewelry collector. Rings and pearls are my passion -- Mom loved rings and I used to help Dad pick out gifts for her. I have those rings now and have added many to my collection. I really need to sort, organize and put all my jewelry away. It's on my (extensive) to-do list.

MaryLynn, great info on fats, which get demonized far more than they should. Reading that prompted me to drizzle olive oil on my popcorn this evening -- I tend to eat too little fat and need to balance that out. The "Do Not Compare" mantra is important and one I am bad at heeding (that and ignoring the negative head-tapes).

Got a lot done today. All my candles are together and organized. Ditto table linens, and my stash of future gifts is now together in a single spot. I went through books and have a load of things to drop off tomorrow. At least a few of the things I've done lately are "final" -- getting like things together and putting them in their assigned spots. I tend to change my mind about where stuff goes but I'm pleased when one mini-task is DONE.

Up and out tomorrow to get hair cut and colored -- my grey is taking over so that's going to need to be done more often now. Sigh ...
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies............I'm up and out early this morning...I'm traveling to my former school to help with state wide testing (ISTEP+). I wonder what the state will screw up this time. Tests were scored incorrectly last year and all test scores were basically thrown out.

Good news at the doctor....According to their scale, I've lost 2 pounds, but I know I've lost more than that. My A1C is 5.8, and she's happy with that. They drew blood for testing my thyroid, but she's pleased. She said my heart sounds good and lungs are clear.

My lunch with my friend was great; however, when we went shopping, she realized that she had lost her credit card. We spent our shopping time retracing steps, calling/visiting the restaurant to find it. They said it wasn't there, so she cancelled the card. On our way home, the restaurant called and said they found it, which was a good thing.

Have a great day.

Bert
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies-
    Brief stop in today. Having some breathing issues so no on prednisone to help that issue. Typical for me using the inhaler every 4 hours- just not getting enough O2- not pneumonia but I have issues since a kid when I get sick my lungs take the brunt of the illness. So here I am- of course it makes me tired just to cough. Last night was cleaning up after dinner and thought I was going to have to sit down just to catch my breath but for those of you that know me well- I just pushed thru until I was done and then crashed. Stupid and stubborn.
    I ate 3 meals yesterday but didn't finish my black bean burger and salad for dinner. Nothing has much taste due to inhaler- and I wasn't hungry. I will get back on track and become a loser again- :)
    I've read all your posts and thinking of each one.
    Patti- prayers for your BFF- the surgeon will have excellent hands today and God will watch over both of them. Happy birthday to your Mom
    Janet- so busy- nice.
    Bert- sounds like you had a nice day yetserday too
    Diane- are you back in the main grove of exercise?
    MaryLynn- I have a fitbit that I wear on my pants- great motivator
    Jeannette- dancing queen.... it sounds fun and a good calorie burn.
    Myra- if need be try adding some fresh mint to your water- it is yummy too
    Karla- how are you doing dear lady?
    need to run but I'll check back at some point.
    Hugs to all
    Cindy
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Sheesh, I've been thrown off the site all morning after entering information saying they were doing maintenance?

Diane- A large glass of water is always helpful and good for us. I am still struggling to get in the water I need. I don't know why!! How is the Jeep feeling to you? Getting used to it? I have been on a good roll since I have obtained my Garmin. I did show a slight gain this week, but I believe it may be related to the increased of my hand weights with my strength training. My arms have been sore. On a great note, I have lost another inch on my breast, arms and waist, giving me a total of 14 inches, I believe since 1-4-16. One of them in my arms!!

Bert- Great news from your physician!! Doctor scales never tell the truth either. lol. I'm glad your girlfriend had her credit card found.

Janet- I have been doing some serious decluttering around my home and it is definitely a great feeling of pride. My housekeepers are here this morning and they are very proud of me!! I advised them of Chris moving out this weekend and they are excited about me getting my bedroom and office divided back out, as I am.

Cindy- Poor baby! I hate to ask, but can Rick not clean the kitchen? Men just do not think. I hate to ask Glenn to do anything with his long hours but there are times when I need a little help too. I mentioned the weed and feed I purchased last weekend that I need to have spread and he griped, but put it on. We were supposed to get rain last evening, but it passed us.

I did, indeed, show a slight gain of .4 . I am not going to have a meldown though. I did do my measurements and am down a inch in my bust, waist and arms!! So progress is being made. I am going to tweak myself. I am still not pleased with my water intake. I can't seem to get it up to the 64 or 72 ounces like I used to.

Patti- Prayers for you BFF. She has an excellent prayer circle going and is in God's loving hands. Please keep us informed.

I better get going here. Have a great day everyone!!

Karla
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    OMG ladies…. thanks for the long list of good news! yay!

Jeanette is feeling better, MaryLynn’s foot is healing, Patti has lost inches and the birthday party will be such a great surprise, Diane loves wearing her jewelry, Janet was productive with her organizer helper, Bert had a good Dr. checkup and nice lunch…. sorry about the credit card snafu, but at least it was finally located.

Cindy- I’m sure you will continue to improve…. we all have a weak spot and you seem to know yours is lungs. I like the mint in the water idea, thanks for the tip!

While i was writing that, Karla posted that she’s lost more inches too!

WOW, that’s a lot of good news that put a SMILE on my face!

With all that positivity going on, surely Patti’s friend will have good news coming to her after today’s operation. :)

Have as good a day as possible, my new friends

Myra
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Myra- you are such a sweetheart!! I see and feel your smile shining through!! Let's keep this positivism chain going... Next person that posts, say something very positive!!

Karla
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Today is another day of dance for me...what could be better? More Tango, more Salsa Rueda, time teaching others the world of dance; this is the life for me. When I was a kid, maybe around 8 or so someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I can remember telling them I wanted to be a "dancer mother" meaning I wanted to dance and to be a mom. I have achieved that goal as far as I am concerned :smile:

MaryLynn - I do recommend getting some sort of tracker. The information is useful and as you mentioned, motivational! Thank you for your thoughtfulness; I sure do appreciate your comments and input.

Patti - I think you SHOULD dance! You are never too old, too infirm, too...anything to do what you love to do. YES I will definitely share videos of the dances from the recital.

Diane - If you aren't dancing professionally then you can't really do any moves wrong. I say find a dancing buddy and go dance! It is an excellent form of exercise, and if you love to do it then don't talk yourself out of it.

Janet - Yes, normally the Tango is very sensual, but I teach at a christian college so I teach steps not form, style or technique. When I talk about this dance to them, I tell them to be dramatic with big movements. Boy would I be in hot water if I taught it how it is really done! :smiley:

Cindy - Sorry to hear you are still not well. Please take care of yourself, you are worth the time and attention

Karla - Sounds like you are gaining some good muscle. If you are down in inches then what the scale says doesn't really matter, right? An inch of muscle weighs more than and inch of fat! You are definitely killing it!

Myra - Thanks for being such a sweet, positive influence. Glad to hear you are smiling, and you have given us smiles in return! I hope your day turns out to be better than you could have imagined.

I should go hop in the shower as today is hand off day which means I get a little time with Miss Alanna this morning before I head to work.

Hope you all have a wonderful day
    Grace and peace to you
    Jeanette