OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Janet, the slider recipe is so simple. I used 2 packages of Kings Hawaiin rolls (24) 1 pound of ham thinly sliced, 1/2 pound thinly slice baby Swiss. Cut each package f rolls in half, do not cut them apart (you will have 1 top and one bottom from each package) lay the ham and cheese on each bottom, replace the tops and then cut cut apart into 24 sliders. Put in a baking pan with sides. I used a 9x13 and 9x9 cake pans and they just held the 24 sliders. Now mix 1/2 cup butter, 2 Tbsps mustard of choice, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 Tbsp worchestershire sauce and 1 Tbsp poppyseeds (I left these off, don't think they add enough taste for the hassle of the seeds in my teeth, lol) brings to a soft boil until sugar completely dissolves. Pour over the sliders, cover with foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

I left Edd to do the picture taking. He used to be very good at it but he really did not get any good shots of my Mom with me or my sister or with anyone else for that matter. I think he has lost his touch and I am a bit disappointed, but will not say anything because he really did a lot to bring this party together. Will hpjust need to find a time to get us together and do some posed shots or actually schedule a shoot with a professional. My DIL has a GF that is very good, I may contact her.

Janet, I do hope you treat yourself to that trip. He will be so happy to see you and your transformation. But more than that, you need the visit for how it will make you feel. I know you totally relax and are so simpatico with him.

I am going to retreat to my craft room and binge on Once Upon a Time. The dishes are done and the house is back to rights. I am going to take lunch to my BFF tomorrow and keep her company for a while. She gets the final path on Tues. want to take her mind off it for a bit if I can.
    Patti
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Girls-
    Patti- I'm glad you enjoyed this post this week- being sick has made me have some quiet thinking time- hence the post. Meg's step son- age 10, has come to live with them. He has ODD and ADHD and his mother decided it was too hard for her. So he was pulled away from his family and sent north. My SIL has just reentered this boys life- Meg will do her best but isn't equipped to be a full time Mom. I'm very worried for all of them. MY SIL is already talking about shipping him off to Boy's Town in NE if things don't go smootly- Needless to say I'm really angry with the SIL-
    Patti. I'm sure the party was amazing and do go and get professional pics while you can.
    Janet- SC is just the ticket for you dear friend. Pack your bags, carrots and apples and off you go!
    Karla- sorry you still have a houseguest. I know you feel it is time, don't let Chris linger too long.
    Judy- SO sorry about your accident, if you are reading this..... rest and heal.
    I'm about 75% myself. I'm back in the groove of salad for lunch and my appetite is starting to come back- not a good thing but I will get into my WL groove and get rid of these pounds. Still not up to walking but I'm hopeful by Wednesday I will be.
    Waving to everyone else. I will catch up with all.
    Cindy
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hello all - another quick stop in for me. Hopefully tonight I can get around to some personals.

Saturday was a good food day but yesterday was NOT. John was helping with the middle school musical production of the Wiz. I went with him to yesterday's matinee production, and of course at the tech table they have a LARGE bag of peanut M&Ms - my favorite! Then by the time we got home and did some stuff, we decided to go out for Mexican food rather than cooking. I had shrimp and scallop fajitas - usually a fairly good choice, but also had more chips than I should have! I was so full when we got home that I couldn't even go to bed at the right time because I was still too full to lay down. Ugh.

So, back on plan today. I've had a good breakfast, have brought my lunch AND a snack for late afternoon, and have a good dinner planned. I went to the gym and had a very good workout this morning (rowing machine AND P90X the cardio/leg one CVX). I'm traveling tomorrow through Thursday and will take my workout clothes and try to eat right. At least staying at a hotel there are no snacks available easy to hand.

Back later.

Patti, the party sounded awesome.
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    New Roster with updates to MINE, CINDY and MARY LYNN, PATTI'S request to stay the same.

Karlalm58 - Karla - AL(gulf coast)- Do Scale Peak on Thursday and Sunday
    Luzingg - Patti - OH - GET 10K STEP PER DAY
    Jp_in_Ky - Janet - KY - AT LEAST FIVE SERVINGS OF VEGETABLES EACH DAY.
    Cindy619 - Cindy - MA - Eat and Track 3 Meals
    Smack59 - Suzi - OK - TRACK IT ALL!
    bertevans - Bert - IN - drink water and get 10K steps each day.
    Eniads- Diane - MD - TRACK EVERYTHING I PUT IN MY MOUTH.
    LCUConley - Lisa - ON - Track No Matter What
    68Myra - Myra - NC - Drink water and Smile!
    Blessed Beyond- Vikki - VA - workout 4 days a week, 4 days cardio, 3 days strength training; come in under calorie goal 5 days this week
    Xjsjaguar - MaryLynn - VI, BC - -Rebuild Cardio daily and Lifting 3 days
    LivLovLrn - Jeanette - OR- EAT 3 VEGGIES EVERY DAY
    Java_Mom115 - Beth - MI -80 OZ WATER DAILY, 6 WORKOUTS, TRACK EVERYTHING
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning friends and welcome to our new week.

Quote: "Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love. Love risks degenerating into obsession, friendship is never anything but sharing."

―Elie Wiesel

"The best mirror is an old friend."

―George Herbert

and my favorite

"The only way to have a friend is to be one."

I have updated our roster. Please let me know if you have any changes. I did a scale hop this morning and looking good. Not a huge loss, but a good loss coming, none the same. Sheesh, sometimes it seems like pulling teeth to get this body to let go. LOL.

TT: How do you control your portion size? Do you measure with measuring cups? Do you use your hand size? Do you judge what you serve your family? Do you use a scale? Do you eyeball it? When you track your food for calories we must know our exact quantity to get this correct on a daily basis.

Time for some breakfast.

Karla
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies.....the musical is over and everyone enjoyed it. I'm so happy for our church member who wrote it. It was very funny and well received.

TT: I've been controlling my portions sizes by purchasing the 21 Day Fix containers. It is so helpful to me to put all my food types in the containers and know exactly what I'm eating; however, I do "eyeball it" at times. That's probably my downfall.

Today I'm walking at the mall as it's raining today. I'll probably stop at the gym as well to do the stationery bike. Have a great day everyone.

Bert
  • luzingg
    Options
    Oh what a beautiful morning.......still feeling full of love from the party. I need to find a small thank you gift to send to my cousin for all her help. I truly could not have done it without her. Will need to give it some thought. She is such a precious gift to me.

Cindy, I am so,worried for your daughter, SIL and his son. Sounds like they, especially the SIL needs some counseling or education on how to,deal,with his son and his issues. That poor child, he must be feeling like a throw away, which will only make his behavioral issues more pronounced. Will be praying that the SIL finds help for himself and his son. So glad to here you are on the mend. That illness certainly hit you hard, but I think you recent stress throughout your life potentiated it. If you are still needing the inhaler please be careful about walking out of doors. You don't need an allergic response with these mild temps.

Bert, the program sounded like lots of fun. So love a new take on an old story. Guess they didn't need you to help with the late testers. Have a great indoor walking day.

Karla, glad your scale is moving. You have certainly been working it!

Diane, oh those danger peanut M&Ms and chips, so tempting and hard to resist. But right back on the exercise and meal,planning is the way to handle it.

Lunch is all ordered from Panera, Asian chicken salad for me, then some Yaya time. The three of us has been through so much together over the past 25 years. We always thought we would not have to face a breast cancer diagnosis with this one because she tested negative for the BRACCA gene, but I think testing may have improved since she had hers done over 20 years ago. But we will get through this together, like we have with everything else.

My eating this weekend was mindless, did not eat a lot of anything, never felt stuffed or full, just didn't pay enough attention. Just so busy, then tired and did not plan healthy meals or snacks. I know better but let the spirit of the moment take over. But today is another day and will just get back to business.

TT: I weigh almost everything. I do eyeball some things but make a habit of occasionally measuring to see how well my eyeball works. Have to say I am nearly spot on with the eyeballing, lol.

Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Good morning.

Saw on FB that Judy is seeing a surgeon today. Can't imagine how much pain she's in -- hard to believe she hasn't already been seen. Hope they can do the shoulder replacement soon.

Diane, we all have Those Days. You're already back on track.

Bert, how fun to have an original musical -- glad you had a chance to be in the audience.

Patti, bummer about the photos but even if not perfect they must've captured some of the spirit of the event.

Cindy, glad you are crawling back to health -- pace yourself. Such a horrid story of a child rejected -- wishing him the best. Poor kid, poor Meg too.

Karla, love the Elie Wiesel quote -- he is one of my idols. So wise and compassionate.

TT: Am far from perfect on it but I generally measure most things (food scale, measuring cups). I eyeball salad greens and veggies because I know a few extra calories in that division won't do major damage.

Whether I go to SC (and when) depends on my friend -- we're both trying to make it happen.

OK -- off to the races here. Later!
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Just a quick check in to see how you all are doing and say hello. Want to get going and rebuild the cardio program early today, before the rain begins in earnest once more. Will be SO nice to get back to normal! The foot is feeling much better, so keeping it taped to be sure. Will come back for comments in a bit. Thinking of you all today.
    Hugs,
    MaryLynn
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!
    My weekend went well, both dinners were awards banquets, one for our community Chamber and one for the company Brian works for. They were interesting, but long. I had gotten a chiropractic adjustment on Saturday, but I think it got spoiled from sitting so long Saturday night. Had a good visit with my mom, and last night had a meeting with some acquaintances who I’m working with to get a Salsa Rueda dance group going with in Salem (near where I am). We are hoping to get something going by the end of the month!

Patti – So glad to hear it went so well for your mom’s party. I knew it would, though because you put a lot of thought, time and attention into it. It is disappointing about the pictures, but it sounds like it was a wonderful time and I’m so happy your daughter was able to come.

Karla – I love daisies! I’ve tried to plant them a couple times but between my brown/black thumb and hubby not knowing the difference between a daisy and a weed they have not survived. Congrats on fitting into jeans that you haven’t been able to wear for a while, that is always exciting! I’m assuming Chris is your son? We had our daughter move out and in several times. She is out now, still doesn’t have a job but she finally seems to be willing to do something about it. We always said they either had to pay rent or move out when they were 18 but when it came down to it we just couldn’t do it.

Diane – I grew up in the city, learning how to drive from a police officer; I am a fairly confident/comfortable driver. The bus is big, but I don’t feel too awkward driving it. As far as eating goes, well, some days it just happens. The fact is you got back to what you know is best for your body and that is the important part. Also, I’ve made a few quilts myself. I wouldn’t say I’m all that good at it, but I enjoy doing it and enjoy giving them to people.

Janet – the birthday weekend sounds like a great idea; what could be a better way to spend your special day than with a friend who makes you comfortable enough to just be yourself? My birthday is this month as well; I think my family is planning a party as it is the big 5-0; we’ll see what happens. I’m not terribly big on celebrating my birthday so we’ve never done more than just have a family dinner.

Bert – so glad the play went well at your church. It sounds like it would have been great to see!

Cindy – Another March birthday! I hope you are feeling much better and that you had a great birthday celebration. UGH for that little boy; I just want to shake people sometimes. I will be praying for him and them.

MaryLynn – you are doing so well, I am impressed with your tenacity. You can’t do what you want/love so you make it up doing something else; that is the way it is done! Glad the foot is better, remember not to do too much too soon!

Myra – I hope you had a good visit with your sister even though she had “ulterior motives” to come over, and that your workout together went well. That is great news that your daughter has lost a significant amount of weight on her own; and that she is joking with you about it. Keep smiling, it not only does you good, but those around you!

TT: some things I measure, some I eyeball. If it is a high calorie item, I usually weigh it. If it is veggies or something low calorie I usually guesstimate.

Since I was at my parents’ house this weekend I weighed myself; I am down a few pounds. Nothing to get too excited about yet because I’ve been here before, and a few pounds lighter, and my body has said “this isn’t good” and I gained the weight right back. So I will continue to do what I am doing and when I lose another 8 or 9 pounds (which means a couple of months.....sigh) I will believe that I really am better and that I really can get it off and keep it off.

Well I’m off to teach some more dance today, I hope you all have a bright and cheery day
    Grace and peace to you
    Jeanette
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hello and good day to my OMG lady friends :)

Jeanette- It sounds like you had a lovely weekend and good visiting time :) I’m sorry your chiro adjustment felt spoiled from sitting….. i hate when that happens! I had an adjustment this morning, and i didn’t even want to move off the table afterwards ;) I did have a good visit with my sister, but i wouldn’t call what we did much of a workout, LOL. it was more giggling :) I have a room in my house with mirrors mounted on two walls, so i can check my form (i cheat a lot). My sister just wanted to check her form too. neither of us are “good” at pilates, hence the giggling. it was fun, and she surprised my little girls by accompanying me through both afternoon carpools!

MaryLynn- glad to hear your foot is much better, and that you now have a new tape “trick” up your sleeve!

Janet- I, too, love the idea of your celebrating your birthday on horseback with a dear friend! I got a chuckle out of the antics of your fur babies as you attempt to make up the bed :)

Patti- I wish i could have been a fly on the wall at your party…. it sounded absolutely delightful! congrats! Good for you, for visiting your BFF and taking her mind off things during the wait. It seems the waiting is the hardest part, psychologically. thanks for the warning of “DO NOT MAKE THIS”, lol. don’t worry, i won’t!

Bert- glad everyone enjoyed the musical and that your church friend was complimented on it.

Diane- I feel your pain with the peanut M&M’s…. my vice last night was half a jar of almond butter. i don’t even WANT to know the calories. i just don’t. TODAY is a bright new sunny day though! and you’ve made such an awesome start!

Cindy- glad you hear you are still on the mend and will soon be back in the groove. sorry to hear the situation with Meg’s stepson. I feel for the poor kid and I don’t blame you for being angry at his mother. sigh. i’ll pray for guidance for all involved.

Karla- I have had adult children living in our home who avoid interaction like the plague, so I feel your pain. all i have to offer is: this too shall pass. For your sake, I hope it gets resolved on it’s own, but we will support you if you must draw the line. I had to move my daughter out of my house and into her father’s…. it was very hard, but it was my last ditch effort. HE had the harder part of then kicking her out of his home as well. I’m not sharing this to frighten anyone…. as i posted earlier…. my adult daughter is doing so very well NOW! but, boy do I know more about “tough love” than i ever wished to!

I never chatted with Judy, but ouch. she’s in my thoughts and i hope for a clear-headed surgeon.

TT: I measure with cups and spoons, but rarely weigh. I know my food logging is a guesstimate, which is probably why i find it easy to talk myself into skipping it altogether. hmmm. ;)

my experiment of smiling whether i feel like it or not seems to be working in my favor…. and perhaps even encouraging others (surprise) so I’ll keep my mini goal the same for this week. i guess i should have posted i was doing so, but i was too busy overeating almond butter. i know i should let that go, but, dang. ok, lesson learned (i hope, i hope) and moving FORWARD.

I apologize if i missed someone, but I need to start a load of laundry and get some other things accomplished around here before afternoon carpool routine!
    Myra
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Judy update -- she is having surgery tomorrow afternoon. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, Judy is one of the sweetest people ever -- and an incredible seamstress. Hope she heals quickly.

Jeanette, sounds like a full and happy weekend. And your scale hop was a nice fringe benefit -- scales can be so inconsistent -- maybe you'll have an even bigger loss than you expect. The new class sounds challenging burt very cool.

Myra, laundry is never-ending, isn't it? Even with just me here, there's always a load that could be run.

MaryLynn, glad the foot is improvng and the tape is helping. Steady progress seems to be in the cards.

Cindy, hope you are getting steadily better -- did you stay home and rest or work from home today? Hope you didn't have to go to the office.

Ran a few errands, now settling in to watch something or other and figure out what's for dinner. Have a good evening, everyone!
  • luzingg
    Options
    My beautiful morning turned into a beautiful day. So enjoyed my time with my BFFs, just relaxing, chatting and laughing (as we always do). Hope we got her mind off of her troubles if only for a few moments.

Jeanette, I want to learn that Salsa Rueda so badly. It sounds like something I would totally enjoy. I am going to do some searching for it in my area. We have a huge Hispanic community, maybe that will increase my chances. Love that your scales are giving you incentive and I hope it continues.

Myra, I am going to channel your "smile" attitude. It does so make life better in every way. I totally get the giggling during Pilates, I do it too, right after I get done groaning. Life is too short to take much of it seriously, don't you think?

Mary Lynn, so glad that your tape is doing it's job and making your foot stronger. I know you have been missing your hikes but you will be back at it soon enough.

Janet, will be praying that it all works out for you to spend your birthday in SC. I can just see you on a horse with a glass of wine and singing your heart out......I know you probably wouldn't put all those things together but it makes me smile thinking you can.

Did some furniture swapping and rearranging in the living room. Now just need to bring one of the chairs up to my craft room. But first need to clear a space for it, lol.

Until morning, sweet dreams to you all.
    Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning my dear OMG pals. Glenn and I were awoke suddenly before 3:30a with an urgent phone call from one of his workers. They found one of his foreman's dead in his car this morning. Not sure of what yet, heart attack or what, Glenn had to jump up and head out. I tried to get back to sleep but just tossed and turned.

Jeanette and Myra- Chris is not my son, but my nephew. He is 19 and a half. He has been living with me since he was 16, He is my youngest brother's son. It is a long story, but suffice it to say my youngest brother, Kevin, is not taking his fatherly duties responsibly. The first two years with Chris were a joy and he did really well. His senior year and since are a different story. We have had many issues with him. He has not worked since last September, backed out of college after he registered and went to orientation. Claims he can't find a job. Glenn and I at at the end of our rope. He is 19 years old and I just don't feel like he is pushing himself to find a job. I don't get this kid. He is nothing like Glenn and I, that are workaholics. Glenn has told me to tell him he has to be out by the end of the month. I just can't make myself do it. I know it is not me doing it to him, it is HIM. I keep praying that something will break and he will come to me and tell me he has a job and is moving out. He did save money from when he worked last summer and received quite a bit from relatives when he graduated. He has been paying us since the first of the year to live here. We thought that would push him to get a job. We are baffled. I know it is tough love. On the flip side I have my 87 year old father saying to me "you just can't push him out on the street Karla", but then "I know you and Glenn have done more than anyone else would have". Uggghh. We want our home back. I need my office back and as most of you all know, we want to make a mini gym in the bedroom he is using. Sorry for the vent. My son's name is Jason, and he is 37 years old, and is doing great, has 4 kids, and I am very proud of him.

Patti- You are definitely the dancing Queen. I know what you mean about those Crack toffee squares. Trisha Yearwood has them in this cookbook I have been using. I refuse to make them. LOL. The sliders are awesome, aren't they? And so easy peasy!

Jeanette- Congrats to you on the scale moving in the right direction girlfriend!! You are such a youngster!! Turning the big 5-0 eh?

Myra- thank you for you honesty about your tough love on you daughter. I know it will work out with Chris and the tough love is probably what it will take to get him off his tuff. I am only "enabling" him to take his time being picky about a job or not seriously looking. I just feel like he is "using" me. I just want this phase over with you know. Well, what I really want is him working at a good job, having his own place and his family, coming over for pool party and family holidays. Is that a pipe dream??

Mary Lynn- I am glad you foot is getting better. We all know you love the great outdoors.

Janet- What can't your friend give you a yes or no answer?

Cindy- How are you feeling today?

I better get going. Working at the Podiartry today.

Did I tell you all I am buying a Brighton purse today? I will take a picture and post it.

Bert- I know you will love it!!

Karla
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    HI All- everyone sounds so upbeat and happy that spring is popping up. I think we've made it through the mild winter in the east- YES
    I am working from the office - as there is much to do with tradeshow season upon me.
    Micah's first day of school was a huge success- I told him to have friends he had to be a friend and from what Meg said he took that to heart. He told Meg he has never had a friend before as his mom wouldn't let boys come over to play. His sisters Natalie remains in GA as she is the mother's extra set of hands with the 6 younger children from a different dad- so she wasn't sent to NY - yet. So, so sad and all the prayers are appreciated.
    I didn't walk after work yesterday, was feeling breathless and tired. Maybe I'll try a short one today. It is going to be close to 60.
    I'm glad people are seeing the scale move downwards and getting in exercise as you like.
    Portion control: I weigh proteins and dairy but not fruits or veggies. I guesstimate. It's easy with whole fruits and if I eat canned it is usually already portion controlled. I don't measure salad etc as it is a way for me to fill up. I do measure rice and pasta. So I guess overall I'm a good weigh and measure person.
    But with the stress monster its the cookies and mindless eating that gets to me.
    I'm seeing a therapist and I think that is helping me find my center again. I know I am finding my calming voice and I will get through this difficult time. I'm strong....
    Sorry for no personals at the moment. Need to start the day job, evenings is tough to get online right now. But I do think of each and everyone one of you.
    Until next time
    Cindy
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies.....it's a sunny morning.....always lifts the spirits when the sun shines.

Patti: Time with friends is so important. My friend always accompanies me to doctor appointments and then we have lunch and shop afterwards. We also try to have lunch once a week. It's good for the soul.

Karla: Wow...I'm sure news of that sort is devastating. Sorry to hear about your frustration with Chris. Sometimes, tough love is what it takes. He has his whole life ahead of him.

Cindy: I'm sure you'll find your center again.

Bert
  • bertevans
    Options
    P.S. I got 12K steps in yesterday! :)
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Scale victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lost 1.2 pounds this week. I am down to 197 now. I am going down through the 190's now. yipeeeee.

I wish I could lose 2 pounds a week, but just won't happen anymore. So I will take this.

Bert- Congrats on the 12k steps. I was low yesterday. Was having a jittery day. I figure out what happened. I was taking he wrong meds!! I have got to get this cataract off my eye. Even with my glasses I can't see the prescription names. Glenn is so upset. He loaded my weekly pill box for me.

Karla
  • bertevans
    Options
    Karla: Woo Hoo! Great loss! I'm sure you'll get back on track from the meds. I sometimes forget whether or not I've taken my thyroid or blood pressure medications, so I just skip that day. Probably not a good idea, but I'd rather skip than double my doses.
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Bert- On those two meds, specifically, you are NEVER supposed to double up, it is dangerous. I have never been on hypertension meds, but I have thyroid before, and they said just to skip the day if you missed it. What I did was I miss-read the label and was taking the generic for flexeril instead of my Lipator generic .. I know I was feeling real whoozy last week. Glenn is really concerned. My eye sight is a danger.

Karla