Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Janet- i stole "freggie" from another board on MFP.... so you're welcome to it! :smiley: I'm off to school volunteering (no teaching, just a warm body on the playground)
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Good morning ladies. I hope your week is going well for you.

Cindy - yes I am off for the summer; this will be the first year I am well enough that it doesn't take most or all of the summer to recover from energy spent during the year; not sure what I will do with myself! I think it is wise of you to step back from the scale for a bit (pun intended :wink: ) You need to feel good about what you are doing, not frustrated!

Myra - I have been speaking to a Christian organization who originally said they would be willing to work with me to do my practicum, but I am not hearing back from them so I may need to continue searching. I hope the meds you finally got work wonderfully for you and that you won't have to fight to get them in the future.

Patti - it is so good to see you back; won't you share some more of your trip stories here? I don't know whether we'll be moving in with my parents or not. My mom said "no" but she also said she wanted to see what my brother had to say (he is visiting from N Dakota later this month). My husband still gets flabbergasted when they say things like that; I remind him that he is a favorite child so he just doesn't understand when they treat me like the least favorite.

Janet - thank you for the compliment, so sweet of you to say. I am praying for your clear scan, and for your meds to get sorted out well. We have been drinking whole milk for quite a while now; it just makes sense to eat/drink foods that are as close to their natural state as possible in my opinion. I still use canned foods sometimes but am working my way away from it as much as possible.

MaryLynn - can I ask what the testosterone treatment is for? My mom had breast cancer and they determined it was from elevated estrogen levels. She will take estrogen blockers for the rest of her life.

Ladies, I am feeling a bit heartbroken lately and would appreciate prayers from those of you who pray. Don't want to go into it here, thanks for your kindness.

Grace and peace to you
    Jeanette
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Hair complete, no grey strip and a cute trim, now at the nail salon have a mani and a pedi with a pastel aqua which will match both my bathing suits plus my new beach chair. I hope Glenn can make it a few days. I need my baby with me. He has really calmed down about my office. He knows when to back down.

TT: staples in my pantry are Rotel tomatoes, black beans, low sodium, brown rice, granola bars, raised bran cereal, Progresso light soups, water chestnuts and canned peppers as well. I like pimentos too. In the fridge I like to keep bell peppers and onions, egg white, Greek yogurts, I do like the Triple Zero A Lot!! Laughing Cow cheeses. Especially the spicy pepper jack. I like the 45 calorie bread too.

I am switching Thursday for Friday at the Podiatry office this week so I can get more credentialing done. Today is all about me. This pampering takes forever!!

Karla

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Jeanette, praying for you to find comfort and peace. Sending you a big, warm hug. I understand how you feel -- there's not only the favoritism but the sexism implicit in "let's see what your brother says." Because I have lived on my own as a single woman forever, I am a staunch feminist. Sorry you are treated that way, but please know it's not you -- and you're not alone.

Karla, you need my manicurist -- I am in and out in under an hour, and that includes soaking off the shellac. And he's a sweetie. We're back in wintry KY weather so will choose a color more fitting the weather than the fun pastel I had planned. You NEED this vacation!

I saw on FB that Judy's son is being admitted to the hospital and going to have a CAT scan -- they suspect something neurological. I know she will appreciate all thoughts and prayers -- she's had such a siege these last several months, but I know the strength of her faith and support of her family ad church community will get her through.

Time to leave for a quick stop or two before my manicure. Will check back this evening. Am well on plan so far today -- hope I can sustain it!
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Jeanette, sending you hugs, prayers and peace for whatever is causing you strife. Thanks for asking for my tales from the road. Most of the time was spent just connecting with people. Enjoying old friends and meeting some new ones. Not a lot of sightseeing other than what I mentioned in Sarasota. Did a lot of cooking and even more laughing, talking and listening to stories told by some very fascinating people. BMW riders, especially those that ride the vintage bikes, are not your typical "bikers". The biggest difference being the average age is 65-70. Their tales are colorful and they have the best adventures, very few of which involve drugs or alcohol. One couple, he from Australia, she from the Phililpines, lived for over 10 years on their bike with a side car. Crossing Europe and Africa with only what they could carry. They had a child during the first year of their travels. They were in many unfriendly areas, arrested and/or threatened in many areas. They live now in northern Georia, mostly off the grid, and for several years, in a treehouse while sleeping in a hammock. They are hard working and nearly self-sustaining. Both are now in their early 60s. I could listen to him talk all day.

Judy, continuing to send prayers for your son, you and the family.

Lovely chatty time with Mom. Now need to eat my dinner so it is well digested before I start dancing around during Blacklight Zumba! I am really sore from the gym yesterday but happy to be back in the swing of it again.
    Patti
  • luzingg
    Forgot to answer Janet's question

TT: staples: canned black beans, green chilies, enchilada sauce, boxed chicken stock, siracha sauce, hoisin sauce, egg whites, yogurt, dried cranberries, toasted pecans, cheddar cheese, precooked bacon, cracked pepper turkey breast, turkey sausage, roasted garlic and butter. I have found since I have switched to full fat versions of cheese and butter I actually eat less and enjoy them more. I use the tomatoes and corn that I froze last fall. The only canned veggies I eat are green beans when I can't get fresh.
    Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    Good late evening.

Jeanette- Prayers sent up on your behalf my dear. I was a favored child by my father, it caused strife between my older brother and I, although I was not the one demanding it. My mother countered it by favoring the boys, I have four brothers, two younger and two older, but being the only female child, my father was quite strong about my role in the family. Even to this day I am the head of the family with my mother passed and my older brother, in question, had disowned himself from my father, and the rest of us. All families have their intricate issues.

Patti- So great to see you here daily and hear of your daily episodes. I know your mother was delighted to see and hear of your travels. I love listening to stories of times gone by. So enthralling and some storytellers put you right there. I lost a friend last year that was one of those, Terry Henderson. Sad.

Janet- Jason went to the psychologist today. I have not spoken with him, but from talking with Angelique, it seems to have helped. His med dosage was increased and that's about all I know at this point. I do feel relieved that he is talking with someone. He may be 36 years old, but I still worry about him as a little boy. He has PTSD and refuses to acknowledge it from the explosion and the death of the coworker, and wonder if he went through all of that with the doctor. I will find out tomorrow. We all need this 4 day vacation so badly.

Glenn told me this evening that his boss told him to go ahead and take the vacation. He said he needed the break now before the ship got into a more stressed state. I am so very relieved.

All is going well and progressing along with the new client. I am still trying to get used to Chris being out of the household. I am sitting in my office now. I love the extra room, the new tv on the wall and the ability to have peace anytime I want to work. I know I did the right thing to help my two young nephews when my brother fell down on his job of parenting. It was not their fault, many people would not have taken them in, but I am not one of them. I always said, if I had not been able to take care of Jason, I had hoped that someone would have cared enough to have provided for him. You get back what you put out there. Okay, I will get off my podium now. LOL.

Good night and peace be with you.

Karla
  • JP_in_KY
    Karla, hope Jason will have a great relationship with the psychiatrist and get the help he has needed for so long. My ex has PTSD so I can feel a bit of your pain. But your baby is always your baby. Hugs. Glad Glen can go with you - you each need it - and you need it as a couple. You are the anchor for your extended family and we all worry that it drains you, so your frequent getaways are important. You need the restorative time.

Patti, what interesting friends you've met through the BMW rallies!

Well, I slept for an hour and am now wide awake. Hoping to crash again - must be up and dressed before 9 when my cleaner comes. I'm working on organizing all the paperwork for taxes, which I hope to get done in the next few days. On Monday and Tuesday mornings, I get thyrogen shots to drop my thyroid levels, so my energy will likely drain. The more I get done before then, the better.

Staples I forgot to mention: canned chicken, tuna and salmon, tuna pouches, olive oil, balsamic & cider vinegar, popcorn. In the fridge, yogurt, Parmesan, 2% cheese slices for melting, low-carb & calorie, high-fiber tortillas, smoked salmon, an endless array of condiments and beverages (water, Diet Coke, wine). And if course plenty of fresh fruits & veggies.
  • KarlaLM58
    Janet - this trip is spring break for the grands, so Jason and his four kids are going. the end of t his month is the Podiatry trip where it is just Glenn and I. that will be the relaxing one. Especially for Glenn, as he will be chilling at the Beer Gardens while I am in class in the mornings. LOL. You poor thing on your thyroid. Shots too! My girlfriend is getting those too because of hers. I am up with the chickens myself. I awoke at 3:30a and am already in my office working. I'm trying to get all I can completed on the Eye Clinic so I can close out on that account by the end of the month. A sweet farewell on a 9 year contract. I have to TRAIN the Optometrist to do the job. She has NO IDEA how complicated it is do combine four branches into one bill out, but she is going to find out. Tough love, you know?

I put a sweet note of prayers on Judy's facebook notice about her son being admitted to the hospital. We are all only one phone call away from disaster. I went to my therapist yesterday myself. She is a PH.d and I saw her when I was so upset with both my nephews here in 2014 and Glenn was riding my butt. She is a sweetheart, but very supportive and full of ideas and resources. She is concerned about my chest pains and therefore, I am making the call to my primary care doctor today.

I better get back to work,

Karla
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good Morning, Ladies. My house cleaner is here this morning. I also have a visit this morning. I'm not too happy with this student teacher as it's usually me that initiates the contact. It should be the other way around. Ok, I'm done ranting. Have a great day everyone,

Bert
  • luzingg
    Gloomy morning here, raining and cold. I am really sore from my return to exercise. Mostly my left shoulder. So skipped circuit this morning so I can go to TRX tonight. I think I will spend some time in my craft room to make some thank you cards and note cards to give as thank you gifts to our respective hosts on this trip.

Karla, I am sure it gives you some peace of mind that Jason is getting the help that he needs. The spring break get away couldn't come at a better time for all of you. So glad that Glenn is getting away too. Sounds like his stress level is going to be rising as yours is hopefully decreasing.

Janet, I know you will be so happy when this thyroid issue is resolved. Do hope that you listen to your energy levels and not push yourself when you should be resting.

Today my BFF finds out the path report from her third breast exploration. I have been praying with all my heart that this one will be clear and no mastectomy is needed. I am on pins and needles waiting for that call, of course my anxiety is nothing compared to hers.

Patti
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Hi Ladies- very quick stop- read all your posts and praying for all who are in need. Hugs too
    Janet- let me know how things go today.

Until and talk to you later
  • cindyr619
    Hi Ladies- very quick stop- read all your posts and praying for all who are in need. Hugs too
    Janet- let me know how things go today.

Until and talk to you later
  • luzingg
    My prayers have been answered here. My BFF heard that the margins were clear and she will not need a mastectomy. She will see her oncologist next week for the plan of treatment. She knows there will be at least 4weeks of radiation that will be done in the Dr's office, awaiting determination on chemo but looks like just estrogen inhibitors. So relieved for her and so grateful for your prayers.

Patti
  • cindyr619
    Patti- wonderful news. Prayers are answered we just need to be patient.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • JP_in_KY
    Great news, Patti!!!!

Karla, you know I've been concerned about your health as you try to help shoulder everyone's burden. Glad you reached out to your therapist -- smart move. And the trips will both be good for you -- grandkid/Jason time and then Glenn time.

To clarify -- these shots aren't an ongoing thing -- two shots on two successive days to drop my thyroid level to the sub-basement. This allows me to keep taking my Synthroid instead of going off it for weeks before the scan.

Bert, my cleaner was here today too. She is a sweetheart. Sorry you are having to chase one of your student teachers -- an indication of her potential or just youth?

Tired because I got maybe three hours of sleep last night and worked on taxes much of the day and they are now DONE. I kept telling myself "When I get this part done, I'll take a break," but it kept getting replaced by "Just one more bit and then I'll have a break," until I was so close to done that I just stuck with it. Taxes filed (small federal refund, owe KY). Whew.

Haven't eaten much today so will warm up some chicken to get some protein and call it a night early. I have a symphony concert in the morning if I have the energy.

I'll leave you with this young girl's take on BMI (with which I happen to agree): http://distractify.com/trending/2016/04/03/bmi-means-nothing

Have a good night -- see you all tomorrow!
  • KarlaLM58
    Good morning dear friends. Time is getting near for my vacation. So glad. All is calming down around my clan. Jason bonded with his doctor and returns in three weeks. He is working for me on keying data. I met with the Eye clinic staff and we made a plan for the training and smooth transition. The credentialing is going well for the new client as I am putting Blue Cross to the submitted stage today, as well as Medicaid and moving on to Tricare.

Patti- Ansolutely wonderful news on your BFF.

Janet- Karla will survive, especially with your unconditional supportive friendship!!! I keep an eye on myself, although it is usually with one shut!! I have had to read the book Codependency No More as I have had that tendency with everything I do. Especially when my son is hurt, in trouble or sick, as most mother's would. But also in my work. I am OCD, that is why I excel at Billing and Credentialing as I have attention to detail that you have to have. Anyway, like my favorite doctor told me back in the late 90's whom was treating me for my OCD, "you make excellent employees!" Lol.

Cindy- How are you progressing on your eating patterns dear? Are you over the ex- witch? Lol

Myra- are you back to your smiling regime? Can you schedule some Myra time?

Jeanette- Have things calmed in your world? My heart bleeds for you and I want to reach through this electronic world and give you a big hug.
  • cindyr619
    Hi ladies-
    It is Friday and I'm looking forward to the weekend- I have bridal shower tomorrow for a friends daughter, Em is coming to dinner tonight and Sunday may be R/R time.
    Karla- I'm SO over the ex-witch - her issues are just that- hers. I'm rubber she's glue. What bounces off me sticks to her- or another way to look at it. Karma is one tough .....
    My eating is going well. As you know I've gone back to WW online- Suzi I contact the chat peeps and asked about the Program guide as I couldn't purchase it. She told me to go to the meeting, tell them I'm an online member and they would give me one. They did and they gave me the pocket guide. These have both been very helpful and I'm feeling in control more every day. I'm doing simply filling which falls in line, mostly, with my clean eating plan. I do need to drink FF milk but I'm surprised at all the changes. They are focused on people getting sugar out of their diet and even low point foods such as FF yogurts have now become higher in points. The reading is very interesting- their website is still a bear but I'm working MY plan.
    Janet- this thyroid stuff will be behind you very soon and you'll be better than ever. You'll feel confident and in good health when this is all done.
    Oh- I made my own taco seasoning- the packet has too much salt. Each portions of chili powder, cumin, onion powder and garlic powder. I haven't tried it yet but it smells yummy.
    Need to start the day job.
    Until later my sweet friends.
    Cindy
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good Morning, Ladies. It's a busy day today. Another student teacher visit, visitation for my former superintendent, and attending "The Music Man" performance at a local high school where girls who perform in our church musicals all have parts. I'm looking forward to that.

Janet: To answer your question, I think it has to do with youth and their desire just to be finished with college assignments; however, they need to realize that their grade depends on my visits plus the written work that is required by the college. I have two students like this, but the third student teacher is wonderful! I think she's just as young, just more settled in her life.

Karla (or anyone else who can help): We are being bombarded about Medicare Supplements. I just don't know what to do and how to complete applications for Medicare. Mike turns 65 in July and I turn 65 in October. If you can help ease this anxiety, I'd love it.

Breakfast is tracked. Have a great day everyone.

Bert
  • luzingg
    Quick stop,

Karla, enjoy every second of your vacation. Hope you are able to put the world behind you and focus on just BEING.

Cindy, we all have to find the plan that works for us. So glad you took steps to find a way to be successful in your journey. Mrs Dash makes a salt free taco seasoning that is good too.

Bert, I am not an expert but wanted to explain something that I do know.you can sighing up for Medicare online and the payment is automatically taken out of your SS each month. A Medicare supplement can be purchased to cover thing that Medicare doesn't. A Medicare replacement policy, which is what Edd has, is usually an HMO that covers more than Medicare but has no additional costs. Your payment still comes from your SS automatically. My best advice is to schedule an appointment with a couple of agents from United HealthCare, Blue Cross, Aetna, etc and they will explain it in great detail. Comparing their plan to Medicare and what supplements they offer.

Gotta go, back later
    Patti