Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    m3y9ru56p19g.jpeg
    Impatiens in the pots that were given to my mama when I was a baby. That's more impatiens in the flower bed in front with my Memaw's peonies I moved from my house when I moved in with Dave. We built that flower bed especially for the peonies last year and I keep adding to it.
  • smack59
    ag50uf4pdd9z.jpeg
    This is the first of some back porch pix. It's my favorite spot on the whole place!
  • smack59
    emna5i42xjcl.jpeg
    Here's some of the containers I put together this year. As you'll see in another pic, I like making flower pots out of old buckets and other "found objects".
  • smack59
    8lbnyzlkz1yy.jpeg

You can see several of my buckets and an old stove in this pic.
  • smack59
    6ycaayhv5rhr.jpeg

Here's a piece of the big flower bed where things are just starting to bloom. That's Memaw's birdbath. The taller stuff behind it is phlox which are about to bloom and they are just glorious all summer. I'll have to post another pic when they're blooming.
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Oh Suzi, I love all your flower pot creations and lovely sitting and swing areas. Great girlfriend and cousin sneaks ways!! I haven't gotten back to walking with Jodi since her foot flare up. When are you coming back down?

Janet- I watched the previews of the Tony's for tonight and it's all about Hamilton!! I know you will enjoy it. JJ and I are going to a movie, so I will record it.

I have felt better as the day went on. Glenn has the outside pool area looking fantastic with his pressure washing and our new table and chairs put together.

Karla
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Suzi, gorgeous!!!! The porch swing looks so inviting -- have always wanted a porch swing or glider. Almost got one when I lived in TX but there was a brown recluse threat in my neighborhood and almost no sit-out-able weather.

Karla, glad you are feeling better and that Glenn is clearly recovered enough for some heavy-duty outdoor chores.

Tony Award time -- some performances will be done in the street and there's going to be audience karaoke. And endless love and respect for Orlando. I am tired but doing OK here -- did a load of laundry but it sure would be nice to have a shoulder to plop my head on about now. My heart just hurts for what happened in Orlando. Truly the unimaginable.

• smack59
    Had a great nap after lunch - it was raining, much cooler and we actually had the windows open. I've had a post-nap snack of watermelon and am cheering on the OSU Cowboys baseballers. If they can pull off this win, they're in the College World Series for the first time since 1999. UPDATE: COWBOYS WIN!!!!

I had a good weigh-in yesterday at WW - down 2#, so things are moving in the right direction again. I'm trying to keep the momentum going this week - tracking and checking in here and walking more. I'd like to get to the point I'm walking 4 miles a day on the days we don't go to the Y. This time of year in OK, it means getting up and getting out early before the heat gets unbearable.

Karla - no Mobile trips planned at this time, although it's pretty likely Kelly and I will repeat the Mardi Gras trip and bring some others with us next year. Dave and I have a 3-week multiple mountain National Parks RV trip coming up the last week of July and first part of August. Although no firm dates yet, we're going to fly into Portland, rent a car, make a big loop through Oregon, then drive the Pacific Coast highway down to San Francisco and Monterey in late September or early October. Our friends Jim & Ruthie are slated to go with us on that trip.

Janet - I adore that porch swing. About a month after Dave moved into this house in early 2004, he had a heart attack. I bought the porch swing and a couple of our co-workers put it together and hung it as a surprise for him when he came home after nearly a week in the hospital. I frequently sit or lay on it and read in the afternoon when it's not too hot. You need one! It's easy to get lazy in a porch swing and you could use some help getting lazy for a while to heal!

Mary Lynn - I loved the pix of your slice of heaven and your flowers. We have a fire pit at the lake but several years of drought and prolonged burn bans have the wood stacked up pretty good. Several dead trees or significant dead limbs had to come down. We've had fires several times over the past year since the drought ended, but summer nights are much too hot here for a fire. That'll have to wait until fall before we can enjoy the fire pit again.

Patti - are you taking a rest day on Sunday? From the sound of your posts, you've really ramped up your exercise.

Bert - seems like I'm getting lots of notifications to cheer you on for your exercise, you are really doing well after finally having that surgery to end your pain. I'm so glad it was a success for you.

Cindy - hopefully you're enjoying some down, unplugged time and aren't stressing about things. It's great that your Mom has you to go with her to FL. As hard as it is for me to be the last of only 2 siblings, I can't imagine how hard it must be for her to be the last of 13.

OK, I'm off for another lap around the block.

Suzi
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Late check in but that will be par for the course with my summer routine.
    Have read all the posts and so enjoyed all the pictures of the outdoor beauty in your worlds. I have taken a different approach to enjoying my world, I put up lots of bird feeders. Less maintenance and a lively, ever changing show each day.

It was so hot and humid at the cabin but we managed. Boating by day and a/c by night. We got a late start on Saturday because Edd and son were working on the rental home son has near the cabin. So we ended up eating as the sun went down. Eating in the dark, outside is a whole different dining experience, but we are not new to this dining way, lol. Grad party today was short and sweet and dotted with rain showers. We ducked out early to go for a boat ride before packing to come home. The only sour note in the weekend was my danged tooth. It woke me at 2am and kept me up until 5 this morning. I have never had pain like this. No,swelling or fever but the ambesol did nothing and the pain pill took nearly 90 minutes to make a difference. Then when we were out on the boat today I had to ask son to turn around and take me back. I hadn't taken anything on the boat because I have never had my tooth hurt during the day before. It brought me nearly to tears and we were over an hour from the cabin. I did lots of deep breathing and DIL kept me engaged with spirited conversation to distract me. This time the ambesol worked. I am calling the dentist in the morning. Based on when I can get appointment time it will be at least 3 weeks before the tooth gets pulled. The tooth causing the pain is the one next to the one getting pulled. So I will have to schedule appointments for fixing it. With all this I am praying I won't need a root canal. Never had one but have heard too many horror stories. Sorry to go on so but this is a new experience for me. The oral surgery I had was a cake walk compared to this pain.

No more whining, I promise.

Patti
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good Morning, Ladies. I'm going shopping today with my besties! I know we'll have so much time and definitely get some ya-ya time in today. Have a great day everyone.

Suzi: Sorry about all the notifications. I clicked settings to turn off some things, but am not sure how to turn off things that are sent to other people.

If anyone knows how to turn off notifications that go out to other people, please share. I'd like to limit what goes out.

Bert
  • JP_in_KY
    Lost earlier post. Sigh ...

MY GOALS: TRACK EVERYTHING. NO UNHEALTHY INDULGENCES.

My eating has been bad lately and no excuse but caving to my own weakness. I know I've said this before, but this is IT. Have had soooooooooooooooooo much stress in my life but that is not my fault. How I respond with food IS. Trying not to be too angry with myself.

Shoot, Patti -- Hope they get you in -- and fixed sooner than you expect. Take care.

Bert, no idea on the notifications. I have all my notification preferences turned off.

I am still over the moon about last night's Tony Awards. Glad I DVR'd it -- have never seen an award show that was so entertaining. So much talent and heart, inclusion, love, compassion and exuberance. It all went straight to my heart. And yesterday, of all days, more needed than usual. Yeah, I'm a musical theatre geek (who else exclaims, "Look - it's Jane Houdyshell!"?)

And I'm tired -- last week was quite the slog. So more rest today and tonight, GO WARRIORS!!!!! (Who else do you know wacky enough to be obsessed with both the Tony Awards and the NBA Finals?) Being easily amused is a good thing. Right?

• luzingg
    Janet, you have handled things better than most, don't beat yourself up. Sometimes we just need to be comforted. You will turn it around. I love that your interests cover the gamut. Makes you the unique individual that you are and that we love.

Spoke to Mom this morning. She said she wants to have a "family" meeting with me and my sis tomorrow when we get ttogether for my birthday. Says she has something to tell us, something she has known for a week and needs to discuss with us. Now my stomach is in knots worrying about what she has to say. She said she doesn't have cancer. I think it may be about my sister in TN, but truly have no clue. I hate this feeling and just hope it is not something horrible about her or my sister. She said it is something we need to discuss and deal with. Why oh why did she bring it up today. I did not call the dentist yet. Waiting to hear what her news is.

Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    Good morning ladies and welcome to Monday. So tragic the senseless loss of lives in Orlando. There is no valid reason, excepted military combat, that anyone should own one of those type weapons, in my humble opinion. Of course the political scene is jumping on the band wagon, as in Trump. It is awful, no matter how anyway one puts it. No one deserves to be slaughtered down. Both Glenn and I have gay brothers and this sector should not have been targeted. Just as the children didn't that were attacked by the lone gunman at Sandy hook, then the business affair, in San Francisco, and others . Vent over.

Patti- So very sorry about your severe tooth issue. Hardly anything worst than tooth pain.

Janet- sounds like your body is on the mend and soon your strength will return.

Bert- I know you will have fun today.

Suzi- Congrats on the two pounds loss!!! I am on the way down too.

My cold is still lingering on, but less of it, little coughing, no brown drainage. So glad, so no steroids! I have JJ here with me and we have had breakfast and now I must go to my office to work a bit.

Since no one replied on here with individual goals, we can just continue our prospective plans and ponder and respond to today's topic.

TT: Given today's stressful times, medical issues in retirement, raising children, grandchildren and sometime full work schedules, how do you find time to focus on your body, mind and soul? We have discussed two minutes and three minutes of personal solitude, yet many of us fail to find this meager time. What may you do this week to put yourself in a better position for welfare?

TT: after I had my morning tea talk with my dad, I sat on my back porch and listened to the birds and just sat. A cardinal, a blue Jay and a Bob White said hello. It was nice.

Karla

• KarlaLM58
    I thought I sent the post, sorry.

Patti- what a cliffhanger. I am praying for you. I hope it is not your mom.

Karla
  • smack59
    Oh my gosh Patti! Hoping it's just a discussion of some kind and not devastating news.

Bert - I don't mind the notifications at all! I'm just so impressed with the activity you're getting in and it's such a difference from what you were able to do before surgery.

Karla - my sentiments exactly on the gun issue. Nobody needs to have one unless they're actively engaged in war.

Janet - no need to beat yourself up. You've been through hell and back over the last year or so. Just be prepared to do what you can when you can.

It's warming up this afternoon but we've had an unexpectedly cool, pleasant misty morning here in OKC. Dave and I were up early and off to the Y for yoga class. He did a spin class after and I did weight machines. I'm tracking everything and feeling pretty dang proud of myself for it - now I just need to keep it up the rest of the week.

Jessi is coming by later to drop Dinky off to stay this week and is bringing me both his crates. Dave and I are going to adopt some barn cats from the shelter this week. The OKC shelter has such an over population of cats right now that they've waived the adoption fee for all adult cats. I'm gonna go get me some old, ugly, nobody wants to adopt them, mousers. I'm determined to defeat the mice and keep them out of Tulip, our RV this year!
  • JP_in_KY
    Karla, glad you didn't need the steroids. (I did post my goal this morning). I have steroid eye drops until July 4. I can barely deal with what happened in Orlando. Wrote an e-mail to a good friend in LA (we just had a great conversation to catch up) to implore him and his friends to be extra careful at all times (as women, we must do that too). He isn't a bar-going type but he assured me that he and his friends always make time to note where exits are and pay attention to their surroundings. My only tiny hope is that this may teach a few people that gay people are (gasp!) PEOPLE.

Suzi, congrats on the two pounds -- the gardening work helps too.

Patti, what was your mom thinking, announcing a meeting and something that must be dealt with? Hugs. Hoping no one has a serioius health issue. And by the way, let's compare schedules soon and get together -- miss you!

Cindy, hope camp was fun. Your blog made mecry -- so sweet. And because I can picture Newport so well, it speaks to me.

Question -- am working on converting to nonfat, PLAIN Greek yogurt. Have tried and liked the Fage. Does anyone else have a favorite plain, nonfat Greek yogurt? I use fruit and maybe a touch of Splenda if needed -- trying to eat things with few ingredients more consistently.

Have reined myself in well so far today -- must break the habit of reaching for food, and of making impulse buys when out. Am thawing cooked shrimp in the fridge -- I buy the bags of big ones at Target -- a bit of a splurge but so convenient and good for me.

One good thing happened today -- the dealership forgot to reset my oil life/service indicator. Called and a service advisor talked me through doing it (the instructions I found online hadn't worked). He told me he was making a note at the top of my file that my next oil change is free. Yay!! I have all my maintenance done there so that when I decide to get a new car (hoping not for a few more years -- just hit 100,000 and love my CR-V), a verified maintenance record will be somewhat helpful.

Hope everyone has a good night.
  • KarlaLM58
    Suzi- I may have to start calling you Sushi as that is what my auto correct wants to change it to. Lol. I love the name Tulip for your RV.

Time to eat.

Karla
  • luzingg
    Janet, wish I could help on the yogurt deal. I eat the Dannon lite and fit flavored, when I am in the mood. Not a true yogurt lover but have managed to not hate it.

Karla, glad no steroids this time. You sound better already.

Suzi, loved seeing all your beautiful pots full of flowers. I love a swing on the porch. I have a swing, a glider and a single seat glider on my porch at the cabin. The single seated glider is my spot of choice. It was left at one of the son's rental properties. When I am on the swing or glider, someone always wants to sit with me and then they control the rate of swinging and gliding and it is never the pace I want, lol. You swing spot seems especially cozy. I love the story behind it.

Cindy, you must still be recovering from the weekend. So loved your blog and the story of your love.

Grilled shrimp and oven roasted parmesan potato wedges, that was dinner tonight. Yum. Heard from my WOB Tracy, she is finally coming back to the gym tomorrow. I will be so happy to see her. I think it has been over 2 months. My daughter is working on trying to open a used book store here in town. She is in the research phase for where to get her books. Her husband is totally behind her plan, so that is great. I will help and support her in any way that I can. No tooth pain today, yeah. Now just need to get thru the night too. Will hopefully be able to get back to let you know what the family meeting is all about, if I can speak of it then.
    Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PATTI!

• KarlaLM58
    Happy Birthday Patti - Surely your mother wouldn't give you devastating news on your big day. You know we are all here for you. I thought of you last night. I was looking at some inspirational signs and was " we dance in this Kitchen". Great news about your daughter being a small business owner. Yard sales are great places to pick up books cheap.

Janet- How is the leg healing?

I have been awake since 1am. I took the codeine cough medicine and it wired me. I watched tv until 2:30 and dozed until 4:30 and back up again. It's going to be a long day. I've just been watching the news about the Orlando tragedy. I saw the interview of the killer's father.

I'm going to try and get some more sleep.

Cindy- where are you? Vacation?

Karla