OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    MaryLynn, great to see you!

Patti, I don't know how you've coped so far -- hoping you don't have a lot of bad days before the extraction. That insurance decision is just WRONG. We'll all be holding your hand.

Karla, glad the eyes are better with drops, compresses and blinking exercises (which sound odd -- what does she have you doing?).

Cindy, hoping you don't spend your entire vacation rushing around.

Suzi, hope you get time in your lovely porch and garden.

Bert, enjoy a swim for me, please. If I ever win a major lottery jackpot, I'm getting an indoor/outdoor lap pool -- hey, I can dream.

Am healing well here -- only two pain pills today, maybe one more if I need it -- my doc says pain control helps healing. Had a rough night for sleep and plopped for a bit midday. I think I'll take a muscle relaxer tonight to make sure I get sleep. The bed-base repair guy comes tomorrow morning, then I'll run a few errands. Picked up takeout sushi today after my manicure (ultra-bright pink fingernails -- I loathe summer so try to cheer myself up any way possible). Yeah, I'm a weirdo. Hoping for the sake of all the campers, boaters, BBQers that weather this weekend is better than predicted.
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good Morning, Ladies. I've been working on this summer's musical program. This summer has been stressful for our program director. 100 tried out and only 30 got picked, not of which are church members. He thought he was going to be the vocal director but was told by the director that the accompanist was going to do it. Many hurt feelings this year. On the positive side, ticket sales are going well. We are hoping for a great profit for the church. I told our program director, in a month it will be all over. He's developing a handbook so this won't happen again.

My brother wil have a bone marrow biopsy on Tuesday and then chemo will begin. He's still in much pain. I'm praying for him as well as many others. Thanks for everyone's prayers and concerns.

Yesterday I sent invitations to Mike's surprise birthday party next Sunday. I'm ordering him a Cubs birthday cake. I've never given him a surprise party, so I'm going to rely on Greg and Carrie to help keep him busy, so I can get things ready. I'm excited to do this for him.

Today I'm having lunch with school friends. I'm looking forward to it. Have a great day, everyone.

Bert
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Good Friday morning and beginning of the long weekend. I am got a great workout at TRX last night and the trainer, actually her husband, had 2 workouts written up for me to use next week. So now I feel like if I don't do at least one TRX workout next week their efforts were wasted. It was raining when I got up but now the sun is out, hope it stays that way for my drive. Of course, I may have too much stuff to be able to put the top down. My daughter now has directions to the cabin so am hoping she makes it down this week. I will check in when I can but love being unplugged when I am there. I will be thinking of you all and wishing we could all get together for a celebration some day.

Bert, will keep your brother in my prayers. You are such a voice of reason for your program director. Glad the show is going to raise good money for the church.

Janet, keep healing because after I get back we are getting together, by hook or by crook! Stay cool!

Waving hi to one and all. Celebrate this great nation safely. Proud to be an American!
    Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    Patti, we are DEFINITELY going to make this happen! Enjoy your serenity and solitude. Like you, I sometimes need to just unplug for a day or few -- it's something I should do more often.

Bert, sorry for the hassles around the musical program but sounds like you are doing all you can to prevent a recurrence and the director's handbook should help as well. At least there's a silver lining in funds for the church.

Not much new here. The guy fixing my bed base was delayed and is now having problems -- had planned to be nearly done with errands by now and haven't begun. And the bed base is still broken (repair guy thinks they sent a faulty part). Sigh ... I know -- totally first-world problems but now I will be stuck with holiday crowds (NOT a fan of crowds!) and traffic. Ah well.

See y'all later!
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    HI Everyone-
    It's Friday and the week has been rough on so many fronts. Although the funny part my eating has been better this week but the other night Mom reminded me I blew my "diet" when I ate an ice cream bar- sigh
    I told her I didn't blow anything but it was a choice that I made and I was happy with it.
    I'm hard enough on myself without having anyone else pounce on me. But I love her and I know she loves me so I let it go. Well for th most past
    Janet- good luck with the repair man- sounds like things aren't going well
    Patti- Happy unplugging- I hope Susie makes it to the lake- enjoy
    Bert- The birthday part with be a huge success I'm sure.
    Just wanted to do a quick stop.
    Hugs and smiles for all- see you when I can.
    Cindy
  • JP_in_KY
    Cindy, you showed remarkable restraint with your mom. Brava. Hope stress will drop in the coming week -- deep breaths, and do take some CINDY time.

Bed guy did his best but it's still not fixed. So there'll be another parts order and a return visit. The repair guy was frustrated and I don't blame him, but did ask him to see if I can be first appointment the next time -- it cut my day in half.

Got to the Chico's sale and found two tunics and two pairs of pants on the buy one/get one free racks. YAY! Picked up brown rice sushi, which tasted good. Going to take it easy tonight -- shower, clean jammies and watching something or other.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend without major hassles and with time to breathe and just BE.
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. I was a gorgeous day yesterday! Lunch with my friends was fun, and we got caught up on most things. Today the boys and their families will be traveling home from Destin. I'm always nervous when they are on the road. I'll be glad when they are home safely.

Today is house straightening day and then do some yardwork. Finishing up the day with a nice float in the pool. Have a great day everyone!

Bert
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Hi gang! Just realized as I was looking back through things that I've been lurking most of the week and not posting. I guess just not feeling chatty - which is soooo not like me! It's a pretty lazy day here. I washed and cleaned my car really good this morning after WW but not much else. Dave's making a green bean salad right now and it will feature green beans and tomatoes from our garden. Grilled sirloin steak with fresh veggies for supper later. We thought about going to a movie, but there weren't any that really appealed to us. Instead I'm DVRing "Bullitt" with Steve McQueen to watch later.

We got all our cleaning done on the sailboat so she's spiffed up and ready to go. We went out to the boat club Thursday evening to sail, but a little storm blew up and weathered us out. It didn't last long, but there was absolutely NO wind when it was over. We talked about it again yesterday, but still not hardly any wind and we were totally pooped out hot, sweaty messes by the time we got done with our outdoor chores. Wound up watching some DVR'd show and went to bed early. Good grief we sound like deadbeats!

Bert - enjoy that dip in your pool. It sounds quite appealing.

Janet - hope you're staying cool and comfortable. Yay you on the Chico's sale! I love their stuff, but am about 6" too tall for most of it....

Cindy - it's nice that your camp is close to home since you'll be doing some "backing and forthing" to take care of everyone and everything. Please look out for our dear friend Cindy, too!

Patti - party on dude! Your river place is much more well attended than our lake place. Most of the time it's just me and Dave. I enjoy the no-stress, laid back, no worry we have most of the time, but also really like it when we do have friends or family with us. But, it also means I don't have the food struggles you do with a crowd around.

Karla - will you have the whole Hee Haw gang at your house for the holiday?

MaryLynn - how nice to be done with the hard work and enjoying the fruits of your labor! I'm looking forward to our time in the mountains in a few weeks and the hiking opportunities it will provide.

Be safe this holiday weekend my friends,
    Suzi
  • JP_in_KY
    Suzi, you sound the opposite of lazy!

Feeling quiet today as well -- it's raining, which is a bummer for so many people with outdoor plans today and tomorrow. Hope they all find indoor fun =-= games, puzzles, music, great conversation, etc. Head is stuffed up and I plan to stay home and do small things today. Just not in the mood to do out, and no need to do so. Going to try to eat reasonably and get some stuff done and that's just how exciting my life is today!

Hugs to all.
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    edited July 2016
    Janet - we had a little thunderstorm this morning really early and got about .4" rain out of it. Not enough rain to water thoroughly and now the humidity is outrageous! It woke Dave and Dinky up, sent Dinky hiding under the bed for the rest of his sleep, but I didn't wake up at all. In fact, I woke up in the position I fell asleep last night. Normally, I'll wake up a time or two in the night - just enough to roll over and remember it, but not last night! I don't think I moved all night!

Dave cooked breakfast this morning and we've both been piddling around some. I started laundry and made a meatloaf after breakfast, he's fixin' to make a run out to the farm to swap vehicles. I'm going to take my shower while the meatloaf cooks and then make a SAMs and drug store run. Maybe that'll take us up to lunch and nap. Ooohhh, the excitement!!

Suzi
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Good morning, ladies,

Looks like we had a few raindrops overnight here and it is just a little overcast at present, so that will keep the temperatures pretty pleasant around here. Heading out to church shortly and then to the grocery store to pick up a a few necessities.

Last night we went to an outdoor bluegrass festival for a few hours, complete with out lawn chairs and some warmer jackets and coffee. It was pretty good, although the cooler evening winds pushed us back into the vehicle after the second group performance and once we got warmed back up it was not as much fun to venture out to listen to the final group.

Perhaps we will find some activities to enjoy together around here this afternoon.
    Hope you are all doing well and enjoying your day of rest as well!
    Hugs,
    MaryLynn
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Good morning friends. It is so nice to catch up with such interesting and quality individuals. I treasure each of you. Glenn and I had a wonderful day yesterday. We found a property we both liked only fifty miles from our home, after looking at over 10 or 12. Some were in a sorry state of condition. I felt like Zha Zha Gabor! Lol, City life is where I want to, remember the GreenAcres song anyone? Ha But the last one was cute and all fixed up. We are calling the owner today as we viewed the home with his wife yesterday. I don't know why Glenn is wanting this. I'm happy with our Wyndham traveling. I do need to start working on next year.

Cindy- Today marks four years that mybMother has passed. I miss her so much. I understand your tolerance with all your family challenges. You handle it all with such grace. Carry on, my dear friend.

Suzi- You have such a fun life lady, with such a variety of things to do and places to stay and go. I thought of you this morning as I browsed through the PIer 1 Imports circular. It has a whole section on Farm decor. Lol. I got a post from Jodi the other day on Facebook.

Janet- It is smouldering hot down here with the temps hovering at 99 degrees. Glenn and got out in the front yard early and I trimmed around the two blooming Crepe Myrtles and he trimmed the hedges. We sure enjoyed the quaint little town of Ocean Springs yesterday. We walked around the shops and had lunch. We then stopped and visited his sister on the way home.

Bert- Sounds like you had a lovely day with your girlfriends. Glenn and I swam in our pool Friday evening. So relaxing. My plumerias are looking so good.

I am going to dig up my pepper plants and put them in pots. The soil must not be right this year in my raised bed. But I am waiting until this afternoon for that!

We will grill some hot dogs afternoon. I tried to get Chris and Brittany to come over but she is working. I guess Izzy will come over, as JJ has gone back to his Momma's. All of Glenn's family are doing their own thing.

Happy 4th for tomorrow everyone.

Karla
  • JP_in_KY
    Karla, sending a hug on the anniversary of your mom's passing. Glad you and Glenn found a nice place. I can understand why he'd want a permanent getaway -- the Wyndham travel is terrific, but having a stable place where you can keep things and make special memories with the grandkids makes sense. As a one-modest-income home, a retreat is way out of range for me but I get why people have and love them.

Suzi, you must be sore from all that work -- when you wake up as you went to sleep, your body clearly just said "Whoa!" Pace yourself, lady.

MaryLynn, oh, how I yearn for jacket weather! Enjoy for me.

I did end up going out -- Target had a one-day sale, including 30% off women's clothing and a $10 gift card for $50 of food/beverage purchases, so it was worth the trip. And the moment I got out from under cover to take my stuff to the car, the skies opened, so I'm sporting the Drowned Cat look. Home to stay now.

Have a lovely Sunday, whatever the weather!

• KarlaLM58
    Janet- Yes, I like that permanent aspect. But, like I told Glenn this morning, one more place for him to keep the yard up, home repairs and storm damage. Plus I have cleaning ladies here, I'm sure they go there. Lol. But, I think this is his man cave, but not sure of tv or internet reception there. We will all see. I would rather buy a condo on the beach if it was up to me. Lol. I saw the ad about Target. After our long day out I haven't ventured out today. I'm trying to get Jason to bring Izxy over.

I did just order me a pretty red dress off Amazon that was of Audrey Hepurn party style. I hope it will work for my reunion with some sassy sandals and purse. I will have it by Thursday, so I will know in plenty of time.

Now for a dip in the pool with Glenn.

Here is a simple summer recipe-

Pimento Cheese Salad

1 jar of pimento
    I can of Rotel tomatoes
    I bag shredded cheddar cheese
    Two tablespoons of light sour cream

Drain the Rotel and pimento and let drain in your strainer. Put your shredded cheese in a plastic container, add the mixture and stir well with a fork. Add the sour cream to bind. Refrigerate so flavors can meld together. Serve on crackers, pita chips or on bread. Delish!

Karla
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. Happy 4th of July. The jury is still out whether or not fireworks in Greg's neighborhood will happen. It rained all day yesterday, so community fireworks were postponed until next Sunday. It did stop last night for a while and our neighborhood celebrated. It was fun to watch. Have a great day all.

Bert
  • bertevans
    Karla: We are vacationing with friends in Destin the week of August 20. I'd love to meet you one and go to lunch or dinner.
  • JP_in_KY
    Good morning and happy Independence Day to all.

Raining here -- the symphony concert & fireworks were rained out last night, but in my neighborhood I was treated to a rare pairing of sounds -- simultaneous thunder and fireworks. Both cats hid under the bed.

Asking you all to keep my best friend's daughter in your thoughts and prayers. Melanie is married to a wonderful man and they have an adorable 4-year-old daughter. She's pregnant (second trimester) with a boy and yesterday started bleeding. She's in the hospital and bleeding has stopped for the time being but it is a scary situation. It took her two years to get pregnant this time and I am praying all will be well.

Enjoy your day -- it's a bit of a lonely one here but I have lots to do here at home and will try to busy myself.
  • KarlaLM58
    Good morning and Happy Independence Day. Please say a moment of thanks to those gave their all, that are currently serving and that have served for our freedom. I know I feel blessed.

Bert- I will make a plan to come over and meet you. If you like Chinese, we can meet at PF Chang's.

Janet- The weather has been hit and steamy here. We got a shower though this morning.

We are headed to the Grand Bay watermelon festival. They have little rides for the girls. Yes, we have Izzy's friend Bently over too. Both spent the night.

Take care my friends.

Karla
  • bertevans
    edited July 2016
    Good Morning, Ladies. We had a fabulous 4th of July. It rained most of the day, but stopped around 10. We watched fireworks in our son's neighborhood. They were AMAZING! 881zty2241zj.jpg
    wcowihgel1xl.jpg

My brother is having his bone marrow biopsy and his first chemo treatment. I know that it will wear him out. I'm planning to go to visit in early August.

Today it is cloudy, but it's not raining! I'm going to clean the pool today and will float for a while. Have a great day!

Bert
  • JP_in_KY
    Bert, those fireworks look amazing. Glad your brother is moving straight to biopsy and treatment -- keeping him and you in my prayers.

Cindy, hope you're getting some downtime.

Karla, how fun to watch Izzy and Bentley play together. Crossing fingers on the reunion dress -- I'll be stressing about that in two more years. Have you put in an offer on that place?

Suzi, loved your pics

Did some stuff around the house last night and had a long talk with a good friend about weight, singlehood, etc., and we are both committing to doing what we know how to do (even though we don't like it) and restarting with a vengeance today. I've been giving the restart lip service and a few good days but fallen away too quickly. It's time to DEAL WITH IT, like it or not!

Going to leave you with a song I love -- two versions of "Feeling Good." The first is the original recording (yeah, it came from a Broadway show -- the first one I ever saw as a kid). And while it passes now as a happy, feel-good song, it was written as a heart-wrenching celebration of freedom, and that's the essence of these versions by Gilbert Price and Miss Nina Simone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pulEa0cfNcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJRX-8SXOs