OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good Morning, Ladies. It looks like rain this morning. It's getting quite dark as I'm typing. I've been working on the musical program book and planning Mike's surprise birthday party on Sunday. We will have around 20 people attending. It will be fun! Have a great day everyone.

Bert
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Hi gang ! It's oppressively hot and humid here in OKC and it seems like all good humor left with Kevin Durant's decision to leave the Thunder. I spent most of the day yesterday on the computer researching, and eventually purchasing a new ultra wide angle camera lens. I wish I'd had it at the Grand Canyon back in March, but live and learn.... It was pretty expensive - even for a third party company lens, but I couldn't justify nearly $1,000 for the Nikon lens. I also got some new filters and filters for the new lens. With the investment I have in equipment, it's become an expensive hobby! Most of my afternoons for the past few days have been spent photo editing the last year's worth of pix. My intentions were to be more timely at my editing after I retired, but I've actually gotten worse about it. I still have at least half of my Italy pictures to edit from last June! Then there's last summer's Colorado vacation, the Thanksgiving trip to Galveston and the rest of our February/March trip to AZ. I'm currently working on the Grand Canyon pix and that's what rekindled the wide angle lens desire.....

Off to yoga class shortly, y'all be careful in this heat.

Suzi
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Quick drive by. We have been having a wonderful time despite daily rain. This is the first morning I have been alone on my porch and probably the only one I will get this trip. My daughter is on her way here now, staying just a day but I will revel in whatever time we have together. Today is also our 29th wedding anniversary. No special plans, just another chance to tell him how much I love him. Mohave to confess that I have not worked out, just too many people and too much going on to find a way to get it in. But I also have not been going overboard on the snacks and stuff. We have spent a lot of time bird watching. New to the feeder this summer are red finches. I have tons of the gold finches, nuthatches, cickadees, phoebes, sparrows, cardinals, and morning doves. I also have a family of chipmunks and watching them fight with the doves for the seed on the ground is quite entertaining.
    Janet, thank you for the music to start my day. I know the songs are about freedom but I today I am "feeling good" for lots of reasons.

Sorry no personals, but I have read everything, just have no time to respond. Back to the real world next week, but until then you know where to find me......smack dab in the middle of paradise. Could only be happier if all of you could join me here.

Patti
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Good morning ladies!
    Looking for something active and productive to do outside today. Missing the upper body component that clearing and hauling forest debris provided and cannot say that the weight room holds a candle to that kind of challenge for me. Still...may have to go that route, as the biggest part of the work has been accomplished and the park area of trails and stairs resulting is truly a paradise for us!

This Friday we are doing the cooking for a wedding in our church community, so that should keep us hopping as they are expecting over 200 people who will want hot burgers ready for dinner time. Rain is predicted, so that should make it an interesting challenge for the organizers of the blessed event and perhaps for the grill chef as well!

Needing to just get outside now, so I will just say HI for now and check back in later. Amazing that the comment thread is over 1800 already!! Have a wonderful Wednesday and keep active and hydrated as your local temperatures soar this summer... stay safe all!

Hugs,
    MaryLynn

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hi, friends! Patti, I know you'll enjy every moment with Susie -- glad she can spend time in your happy place. And happy anniversary! It *is* National Kissing Day too.

Bert, hope Mike is deeply surprised. My brother and I surprised our parents on their 25th anniversary -- had a small decoy surprise party at the lake two weeks early and a big one at the house. They were flabbergasted (isn't that a terrific word?) -- get pics of his face!

Suzi, I'm pretty psyched about KD ... Good on you, making an investment in good camera equipment. One of my dearest friends is also an ace photog and good gear is not a splurge for someone like you.

MaryLynn, good luck with the cookout!

Cindy, thinking of you and hoping your week off will not consist entirely of running and doing for everyone else.

Karla, have you had ANY time to just BE lately?

Saw eye doc this morning for post-op full exam, four weeks after second eye done. All is right where he wants it and my vision is excellent. He gave me a prescription in case I want to get glasses for night driving (clear lens on right, correcting my near eye for distance vision). My insurance will pay for a pair of lenses so I may take a pair of my frames and have them done -- can't hurt. My hands still approached my face last night to "take my glasses off" -- laughing at myself when that happens. So the cataract adventure has been totally successful and I see him next April Whee!

Had a good food day yesterday and am planning for another today. Am hungry -- time to fix something. See y'all later.

p.s. -- I am dropping my WW rejoin -- didn't seem to be helping, so letting it run out before any more $ charged.
  • smack59
    Janet - have you tried meetings? Am I remembering correctly that you did online only? I just have had such great success and made several forever friends through two different WW meetings during my time with the program a and would love it for you if you could find a good group and leader near you. Now, not all WW meetings are created equal. At times I've attended some that were just OK and some that were truly awful, but I just kept looking until I found one that worked for me.

Patti - have fun with Susie - that's great that she can join you.

MaryLynn - wow! Cooking for 200 people would be quite a challenge under any circumstances, but a wedding adds a lot of pressure. I admire your bravery.
  • JP_in_KY
    Suzi, haven't tried meetings except once more than a decade ago (I realize there is a real difference among leaders) and it was not for me. For now, I'm fine with saving money and sticking with MFP, but I would be totally open to giving it a try later if I think it will help.

MaryLynn, the brother of one of my dearest friends asked his brother and me to do most of the cooking for his wedding. We did all but the roast pig and the cake. We had a ball doing it - buttonholed friends to help with chopping and such, so it really was a 2 1/2-day party. Totally exhausting but it turned out to be more fun than humans should be allowed.

• bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good Morning, Ladies. Today I'm taking my local grandchildren to see Finding Dory. I love animated shows, so it will be a fun day. I'm battling sinus problems and may have to give in and go to the doctor. Time will tell. Have a great day everyone!

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Good morning ladies. I must have been really tired as I slept over eight hours last night.

Patti- I am so glad your daughter drove over to the cabin.

Suzi- The leader does make all the difference and the one here works both locations and just rushes through the meetings.

Bert- Sounds like you are enjoying your pool .

Glenn and I are leaving for Panama City Saturday after he works a few hours. The reunion is heating up and I have a meeting to attend. Plus a chance to see my dad is always good. This time we will spend the night with my BFF as her husband and Glenn are friends and have both had two surgeries and haven't seen each other to compare notes!

Today will be interesting at the podiatry office as I cut a playback to one day a week that has been causing trouble. She is the daughter of the clinical assistant who is on vacation, so she is not happy. But in an tired of the games, as I don't play.

Karla
  • smack59
    Hi gang! I feel like I'm living in a hair dryer. Temps hovering around 100 with a heat index over 110 today and a 30mph wind. Ahhh....summer in Oklahoma.

I did a little shopping this morning between a medical appointment and lunch with my BFF. I got a pair of shorts and a pair of capris in a size I haven't been for quite a while.... The pounds aren't coming off, but I guess the inches are.

Whoops! Dave's starting our daily session of Nurse Jackie on Netflix. Chat with y'all later.

Suzi.
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Good afternoon, my friends!
    With the constant showers outside, we've been relegated to reading inside today. Later this afternoon we are invited to a "wedding rehearsal" event in preparation for tomorrows nuptials.

Our temperatures are pretty cool for this time of year, so we have nothing to compare with those who are experiencing such extremes as you Suzi!
    Karla, glad to see you getting some time with your Dad and friends as you continue the reunion planning.
    Bert, what a fun idea for enjoying with the little ones... I love animated childrens films as well! Have often thought about you and the trauma of treatment your brother is undertaking in the near future.
    Janet, it sounds like the eye surgeries went so very well and it is such a chuckle to read about you reaching for the glasses still. What fun to find some new fashion favorites on your journey through local shops, too!
    Patti, trust you are continuing to enjoy your family times and glad to hear about all the joy! Pleased that you are finding ways to keep active as you go about your daily tasks today.
    Cindy, knowing you are likely up to your elbows in service to others, I continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Waving to you all and any I've missed who may be checking in on us all!
    Hugs,
    MaryLynn
  • JP_in_KY
    Hi -- Have stayed busy (though not overly productive) at home today. It's a steambath out there, but I will venture out in the morning.

Suzi, it's a steambath here but much milder than you're dealing with. Stay hydrated! Congrats on the smaller-size duds. That number on the scale is one piece of info, not the ultimate standard.

Karla, glad you get to see your dad again so soon, and while Glenn and his buddy are comparing surgery notes, you and your BFF can have a great girl-talk opportunity.

MaryLynn, enjy the mild weather for all of us! Any word on what happens now for Adam?

Bert, I keep wishing I had a couple of kids to borrow to see Finding Dory.

Cindy & Patti, hope you are both recharging in ways that make you happy.

Today is another good-choice day. Am craving all sorts of things I shouldn't have, so minimized exposure to temptation. Just had a nice dinner -- salad of tomatoes, cucumbers and onions in cider vinegar and shiitake mushrooms sauteed in curry olive oil with garlic, ginger, soy and toasted sesame seeds. I am trying to have a few ultra-low-calorie days to reset and focus on nutrition. I know I need to get more healthy oils in, despite the calorie load. Hey, at least it's not a donut or even granola bar, right?
  • smack59
    Ugh! Speaking of donuts.....I did myself in today by stopping at Krispy Kreme "to get a cup,of coffee". WTH was I thinking?!? Reset. Move on. Tomorrow is another day.

Good news - I get to babysit Dean, my great nephew again tomorrow! That'll be good for some extra calorie burn.

Suzi
  • JP_in_KY
    Suzi, too bad smiling and giggling at adorable babies doesn't butn more calories, but he will keep you active.

Hope everyone else is having a good day.

Not much to report here -- so far, under 200 calories so I can have a nice meal and still stay way low for another day, as planned. Will trick my body with higher weekend intake. Hit Costco in pouring rain, had cable & internet issues, just contemplating a little siesta.
  • KarlaLM58
    Good Saturday morning my few friends! We are all scattered doing our summer fun activities or family obligations. We are on our way to Panama City for another reunion meeting. The reunion is two weeks from today. My luck is that the Wyndham Resort is right down from the restaurant where the reunion is being held!! Walking distant . I've had my reservation since last year. The dance routine and costumes are fantastic. They are doing The Dancing Queen and Waterloo.

Cont
  • KarlaLM58
    Sorry, rest stop. Lol.

Patti- I have been waiting to hear how your visit with your daughter at the cabin went. It warms my heart to think of you two on the deck talking and listening to the birds.

Cindy - I miss your sweet posts. I pray you are finding some peace in your time off.

Janet- It does sound like you are gaining control of your food intake again. Brava!

Mary Lynn- How is your son that is recently separated doing? Will he be relocating?

Bert- How is your brother tolerating his treatments? I have prayed for him and you.

Glenn and I are enjoying the satellite 70's station and our long conversations. Of course our number one topic is RETIREMENT. lol .

I will be doing some shopping tonight with my BFF and tomorrow I want to hit a couple Chico's on the way home.

Karla
  • JP_in_KY
    In for the day now, after a grocery trip to Wally World and a stop for gas. Had a rough night for no particular reason, so going to chill and decide later what task I want to tackle. No real fun or family activities for me, but much-needed rest after a rough night (for no apparent reason) and maybe a chance to get a thing or two at least started.

Karla, your trips are always jam-packed with fun. enjoy every minute! Hope you can also get some downtime besides the lovely chats with Glenn in the car. The reunion performance sounds hilarious.

Just wanted to cruise through and say hi!

• smack59
    edited July 2016
    Hi gang! I had a nice nap - nearly 2 hours! We've begun some of our research and trip prep for the upcoming multi-national park RV trip. Right now I'm working on getting Dave's CD's ripped and imported into my iTunes account so we will have all our music with us. I've also been researching to see what kind of park bus service or tours are available in Yellowstone. I was hoping there would be something like the shuttle buses they had at the Grand Canyon, but if there is, I've not been able to find it online yet. Lots of private tours, but no public transportation. If any of y'all have been to Yellowstone and happen to know, please speak up!

I have a travel work week next week and intend to use it to work on my "eating crap in the car" challenge. I will take cherries and grapes with me so I can "eat legal" for my in-car snacking. I've just not been able to find an effective method of keeping myself truly alert while driving alone without munching on SOMETHING, so I'll just make it something healthy.

Suzi
  • JP_in_KY
    edited July 2016
    Geez -- just reread my post -- so tired I didn't catch my redundancy! Duh.

Gonna do whatever it takes to get better sleep tonight -- for clearly apparent reasons!
  • JP_in_KY
    Suzi, brava on pre-planning car snacks. If you get tired of fruit, have you tried the Oscar Meyer P3 packs? Cubes of meat and cheese, and some nuts -- 200 calories or fewer. Lots of bites to have a whole one and there's protein. I also chomp on Mentos gum when driving.

When do you and Dave leave on your trip? Can't wait to see your pictures. Having tunes is critical for all road trips -- the CD burning to computer is such a tedious task but an important one (burned a few for a friend today and still need to burn a couple hundred discs that survived the purge to my computer -- why can't we train our pets to do that stuff?). Driving without just the right music for the moment is no fun.