OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Janet - you are soooo right about the driving tunes! We leave for our trip on either Sat or Sun, July 23 or 24. Thanks for the tip about the OM packs. Are they in the snack aisle? I don't believe I've seen them, but maybe they're just on one of those aisles I try to avoid!?!
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Suzi, they're refrigerated but are fine out of cooler for several hours. I've found them at Target & Walmart (near the cheeses, lunchmeats and such -- wherever you'd find the grotesqueries that are Lunchables) & on the road at Speedway gas stations (by sandwiches, string cheese, etc.)
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Tired puppy here, but am home, showered and hair washed. Wonderful time with wonderful friend and classmates, BUT, now I have a pretty onstage OUT THERE on stage dancing role with two other ladies, one my bestie, Sharon. So fun. Going to try and run back over this week to practice and check Glenn's projector connection, but have several appointments here.

Needless to say I need to be exercising and guzzling water these next two weeks to get off some water weight!! I asked Sharon, " can we drop ten pounds in two weeks??? Lol.

Anyone up for a ten day challenge? Monday through the next Thursday week? Let's figure it out!

Karla

• luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Hello everyone,

Home and relaxing a bit. It was a rainy but wonderful week. We also did some work this weekend clearing our beach. I have to confess that I did not get any exercise in. Too many people, too much rain. Had a wonderful time with Susie, just way too short. We took her on 3 boat rides and had lots of talking and laughing on the deck. My son and DIL joined us, so it was extremely lively. So much to do this week. The Peach Truck is making it's final visit so I will be going tomorrow to stand in line to get 50 pounds of the best peaches I have had in years. My mom and DIL want some too. Finally getting my tooth pulled Tuesday. I quit using my waterpik before the 4th and I have had no tooth pain. I think maybe I was being too aggressive in trying to keep the area clean. Whatever the reason, I am extremely grateful that I didn't have to deal with a toothache the whole time we were at the cabin. Wed I am going to spend the morning with mom, then have a hair appointment in the afternoon. Will need to slip a trip to the grocery in there somewhere. Hoping the tooth extraction doesn't mess things up

Suzi, we were at Yellowstone a year ago, I did not see any shuttle buses, just tour buses. We were on our motorcycles, so easy to park and get around. Lots of walking. I know you will have so much fun. Are you hitting Bryce or Zion?

Hi to everyone, just no energy to write any more.....having fun I the sun takes it out of you.

Patti

• JP_in_KY
    Karla, please post video of your routine! Are you doing just one song, or both? You & Sharon will have a ball. I am doing well on eating -- if I weren't famished all the time, it would help, but you can't have everything!

Patti, welcome home. Glad you had such a lovey break -- and giving your body a bit of time off from your intense exercise regimen may have been a good thing. Was wondering how the tooth was doing -- glad you haven't been in pain. Two more days ...

Bert, saw the pics of Mike's surprise party. Looked like great fun. How did he react? And did you do that incredible cake?

I've been doing small stuff around here all afternoon and evening. Watched "Black Mass" (fun for the Boston location shoots) and "I Saw the Light" (for Tom Hiddleston). Now time to hit the DVR for this week's episode of "The Great British Baking Show," which I find simply delightful. It's done with more kindness than American elimination-competition reality shows. And it's British (hi, Karla!). Our PBS station shows it on Sundays instead of Fridays, so a pleasant way to wind down the weekend.

Cindy, loved your blog post. I sometimes commit Random Acts of Coffee in the Starbucks drive-thru. It's fun to give a stranger a pleasant surprise.

See y'all tomorrow!
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good Morning, Ladies.............I'm up early this morning as my mind wouldn't let me rest thinking of tasks that need to be done today. The surprise party for Mike was a huge success. He was so surprised. Greg took him golfing while Carrie helped me get ready for the party. Jillian and Cole were so good while Carrie and I finished last minute arrangements. We all had so much fun!

Thank you all for your concern for my brother. He had his first chemo treatment last week. He has been in pain the past few days, and to top it off, his caregiver told him she was quitting to "persue other interests". He's not sure of the reasons why she is quitting. So, he's looking for someone to help him.

Suzi: I love donuts! My mother loved them as well! We always has donuts at our house when I was growing up. I don't eat them now due to the high sugar content, but am tempted every Sunday at church because they are available inbetween services. Your national park trip sounds like so much fun. I've never been to Yellowstone, but it's on my bucket list. Whale watching is still #1 on the list!

Karla: It sounds like your reunion is going to be fantastic! Yes, I'm up for a challenge!

Janet: No, I didn't do the cake. I can bake, but have no talent in the decorating area. My friend, who I used to teach with, made it.

Today is full of things to do: Running errands, selling tickets for the musical, returning coolers, etc. I hope to get in a nap at some point. Have a great day, everyone!

Bert

wi7zuy7cbvex.jpg
    vr72nkndgrio.jpg
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Hi Ladies-
    I just did a read of all posts since I've been doing my thing-
    All is well here- had another loss in the family so half way thru vacation to another funeral. Then the minister who baptized me and I'm named after his wife, passed away. I fear she's not far behind him. :(
    Loss is a part of life but right not I'm on number 5 in 6 weeks-
    I am waiting on the cover for the paperback book of Ready to Soar- due to Emily's Jim having a run-in with a table saw and almost losing his thumb we got delayed another week. I'm almost done with the first draft of the new book too. Great writing week although hubby wasn't happy I spent 2 hours each day plugged in- but hey its my time too right? LOL
    Mom is doing fine-
    I did okay on food while we were out and about and actually woke up really hungry this AM- guess the lack of frig space meant less junk food space.
    No time for personal but thinking of each of you.
    Hugs and I'll be back again very soon.
    Cindy
  • luzingg
    Good Monday morning, missing sitting on my deck having coffee with the birds. Looking forward to seeing Mom later, after I go get peaches.

Bert, great pics from Mike's surprise party. Sounds like you had good help and I bet he was thrilled.

Karla, I would love to see a video of your dance number. What fun. How goes the search for property on the river? I can tell you, for us, it was the best decision. I love having a get away that everyone wants to get away to. The best part, we can still travel and go other places, it will still be there anytime we want to go.

Cindy, can't wait to hear how your vacation week went. I need to read your last 2 blogs. Really behind on my social media, lol.

Mary Lynn, you are a force, always looking for ways to stay active. Wish I had half of your energy.

Janet, we need to seriously check our calendars so we can get together. Things should calm down after this week for me. My GF starts her radiation soon, having her eval and tattooing today. So if we schedule and she needs me I know you will understand if I have to cancel.

Off to get this day going. Omelet on board, so will have the energy I need to get lots done. Will not be able to go to the gym tomorrow. So by the time I go Thursday nite I will have missed almost 2 weeks, but the world keeps spinning and I am grateful to be healthy, even when I don't do the best things to my body.

Patti
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Good morning all!
    Goodness doesn't time fly by at times! While I dare not attempt to catch up in comments, it is so encouraging to see you all actively enjoying your summer season. With all of the options in the produce department, we've gone a bit overboard at times and indulged in portions that are just WAY beyond average size. I adore melon, especially watermelon and I could eat cherries till the cows come home, as well! Finding ways to get the quality proteins fit in can be a true challenge at times. We cooked over 200 burgers for folks at a recent wedding reception and that alone could put me off beef for a time!

Bert, the party for Mike looks like it was a huge success, as seen in the happy images you've shared with us here. Congratulations for making it all come together seamlessly!

Time to get outside again today and find something active to keep us busy!
    Hugs,
    MaryLynn
  • KarlaLM58
    Finally at the Endodontics office today myself. Tooth doesn't hurt at all now. Here to see if need root canal. I fear this tooth is fractured.

Patti- Are you having yours pulled today. I will have a implant if this one is no good. If have to have root canal my regular dentist said she could save my current crown.

I have got to go get a mani and pedi when I am finished here. I removed my toenail polish and cannot bare no color . Lol.

Doing good on low carb plan. Mostly salads. We had baked Tilapia last night.

Dropped one pound since yesterday!!

Karla
  • luzingg
    The tooth is out! Not sure exactly what they gave me, probably versed, but I remember the Dr starting my IV and saying "here's a little something to help you relax". The next thing they were walking me to the car. Edd said I asked him 4 times on the 40 minute ride home how long he had to wait on me. I only remembered once, lol. Have been sleeping since 1:30 and if mom hadn't called, I would probably still be asleep. Will need to call my dentist tomorrow to get the tooth fixed that is the cause of my pain. Praying no root canal required. I am over all this dental stuff!

Karla, hope you don't have a fracture and your tooth can be easily fixed. Are you following a particular low carb plan or just limiting your carbs to a certain number?

Mary Lynn, I have cooked burgers for a huge motorcycle event and it was a long time before I could eat one.

I feel another nap coming on, guess all the drugs are not out of my system. One nice thing about all of this, I got a huge, good quality beach towel from the oral sutgeon's office.
    Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    Beach towel? Nice! Glad you're home, Patti.

Tired here too so no personals. Have been doing pretty well on intake and will be weighed next week at endocrinologist's office, hoping no net gain since I was there several months ago. Not getting on home scale because I do NOT need anything else that might freak me out.

Very busy day tomorrow but will check in if able. Hugs to all.
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. Another hot and humid day is in store for today, and the mosquitos are in full force! Today I'm having lunch with my retired teachers group. It's always a fun time. Then, this afternoon, I have an appointment for my knee. I'm hoping he will give me another injection like he did last summer (torn meniscus on one side/arthritis on the other). I've been working on the program book for our musical as well as ticket sales.

Yesterday was my brother's second chemo. He texted and said he had some bad news and would fill me in today. He also had a small fall while getting into bed last night. :'(

Karla: You're doing great!

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • luzingg
    Good day all,

Feeling great, can't even tell I had the tooth pulled, no pain or swelling. Today I need to get groceries and then get my hair done. The peaches are ripe already so tonight I will be prepping and freezing about 35 pounds. Of course I will keep out a few to eat now. They are just so sweet and juicy!

Janet, I thought the beach towel was an odd thing but it totally works for me. You are going strong with your return to eating right for you. I need to get it in gear. I am almost embarrassed to have you see me with this extra weight, but then I know you understand the struggle and would never judge me harshly. Now to be as kind to myself as you would be to me. Just giving you fair warning so you can have your game face on when we meet for lunch, lol!

Bert, sending prayers for your brother and for you. Sorry to hear he has more bad news. Hope he has found a caregiver. Enjoy your lunch. I don't know how we would survive without the women in our lives to bolster, cheer and support us.

Karla, are you going to PC to practice and see your Dad this week? How did you do at the dentist?

Cindy, so sorry to hear about the string of losses in your life. I am proud of you for getting your writing time in each day. It is so important to remember that we matter as much as the other people in our lives.

Till we meet again
    Patti
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Good morning ladies,

With a sunny day promising, it is nice to sit and soak up a few morning rays and enjoy a coffee and some cool water outside. Already had a banana and peanut butter to start the system, as I have learned that on "testosterone days" I have so much extra energy to burn and likely will find some activities to expend it all. The therapy continues to work so well for me, with one application under the armpit every other day. Muscle growth is a bonus of some heavy lifting and libido is back where it was in my 30's. Additionally, it is way easier to keep weight down.

Patti, so pleased for you to get that one tooth extracted...what a relief to have that part well behind you now! Sounds like the process was one I could deal with (sedation) for the molar that I know is a problem for me. Enjoy those fresh peaches and the fun of processing them!

Karla, congrats on shedding a pound! You're well on your way to a game face for the reunion and no matter what the scale says, you know where you are at when it is healthy and balanced. Looks like you have another busy day to fit in all the appointments and hoping that the tooth issues can be resolved painlessly - in both a physical and financial sense - in the near future.

Bert, may you feel God's comfort as you continue to await news from your brother, whatever it may be. Praying that he is able to find homecare assistance very soon as he remains at home. Keeping active and involved with other retired teachers sounds like great social therapy. Hoping that the injection at the knee site provides the relief you have experienced in the past.

Janet, you deserve a round of applause for your discipline at the table! Finding ways to fit in good fats and protein on low calories is a true challenge and you continue to amaze me as you figure it all out! With all the fresh produce available, the variety of colorful salad possibilities are absolutely mouth-watering. Speaking of water, don't forget to stay hydrated as well.

Suzi, hoping your travel plans are coming together as you organize the road tunes for the upcoming trips of exploration and adventure. We have enjoyed travelling much of the parks in the US and still remember the amazing, raw beauty in so many of them. With the right light and a decent camera you are certain to get some beautiful images to treasure and share!

Cindy, getting writing accomplished during a busy summer schedule is quite a feat, so good to hear you finding a way to flow! It's so nice outside here on most summer days, that I admit I'd be inclined to take the project out of doors and allow the fresh scents to inspire the words. It is too long for me between watercolor sessions and with our outdoor setups, I could easily set up and start some paintings of these flowers and trees. As you color your world of words, enjoy the solitude of those three minute meditations and know that you have a cheering section here!

Hugs to all of you,
    MaryLynn
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Hi Ladies-
    The book has been uploaded to the formatting fairy - so we are closing in on release date. Still pushing for the 26th of July- and i have confirmation from my fairy they are working on it.
    So much is crazy here- but for some reason my eating is falling into line- I'm eating healthy even tho not working at the exercise plan i'm feeling better-
    Patti- so glad the extraction is behind you and peaches are ripe. I can taste one now
    Janet- you will be in great shape when you go back to the doctor- have faith dear friend
    Bert- I pray your brother and you find strength to face each day with whatever may come.
    Karla- how did your dentist go?
    MaryLynn- Do you show your watercolors in a gallery or post pics to FB- I would love to see them.
    Suzi- hope the H & H days are bearable and you got a chance to go sailing- so much fun to be on the water.
    Off again- need to get back to the budget review for work.
    Until next time
    Cindy
  • KarlaLM58
    Hi all- hanging tough here. Good news here. Endodonist saw no evidence of me needing a root canal at this point. He is calling my dentist to confirm with her what she saw. I told him the cold sensation had stopped a week ago and I had been wearing my night splint. He said he'd call today, but I have not heard.

Down two pounds!! Nothing but salads the last three days, just Greek yogurt and skim cheese sticks for breakfast and snacks. Lots and lots of water.

Patti- Glad you have the bad root out. There is another bad tooth you may have to have a root canal or crown? Is this in the rear of your mouth? Bless your heart, you have really had the dental woes.

Bert- My heart bleeds for your brother. Prayers continually.

Cindy - you are the writing Queen.

Janet - I am adopting your similar eating plans. Lol. Very little in the morning, light snacks and fuller salad with lean meats. I did have a baked tilapia the other night that was fresh, not frozen. Yum.

At doctor with Glenn now, hope he gets a good report, but doubtful.

Karla
  • JP_in_KY
    Patti, you know I give zero hangs about your weight! Can't wait to see you next week. That's a lot of peaches! They ripen so quickly -- I go to the store every few days during peach season.

Bert, big hugs and prayers for your brother. Getting ready for "Hairspray" is probably good for you right now -- a productive diversion.

MaryLynn, I do stay hydrated. At a former job, I got seriously dehydrated a couple of times -- the owner of the company was such a terror I was genuinely afraid to stop working even to use the restroom or get something to drink. Learned my lesson and nearly always have a zero-calorie beverage at my side. Getting fats in is my biggest issue -- my mind tells me I'm "wasting" valuable calories (I have to get to an average of about 800/day to have any hope of losing anything, but fool my body now and then by eating 1,000-1,500 for a day or two).

Karla, you're doing great! Proud of you. I've been trying to eat only from 11 or noon through 8 or 9 and to relearn sitting with the hunger that staying ery well hydrated doesn't kill. But being hungry won't kill me. It's simply annoying. We all know the struggle is real!

Cindy, sometimes certain puzzle pieces fall into place for whatever reason. I am so happy that you are more comfortable with your eating these days. You're gorgeous anyway. You can do this. Looking forward to the new book!

Am girding my loins for next week's endocrinologist visit. I desperately want a higher dose of Synthroid -- feel better one notch up and am going to be insistent that she at least let me try to go back to the higher dose. It's frustrating (at the lower dose, my metabolism gets even slower and losing weight is tougher). But mostly it's about my energy -- truth is, I could pretty much make peace with my current weight, but would like to drop 10-15. We'll see.

Did a small amount of retail therapy today -- exciting stuff like at-home sweatpant-like things, Spanx, etc. How's that for glamorous?

• luzingg
    Evening check in, grocery shopping and haircut done. Followed by working on the peaches. Still have about 28 peaches to go. Want to make some peach syrup but need fresh lemons, which I will need to buy tomorrow. I got 10 quarts plus 3 pies from about 30 pounds of peaches. Would have made more pies but I only have 3 pie plates. You line the plates with foil, then mix peaches with a bit of sugar, corn starch and spices and fill the plates. Freeze solid, take out of plate and remove the foil, slip into a gallon zipper bag and voila pie. When ready to bake, make pie crust, slip in a frozen pie, top with crust and bake. Cover edge of crust with foil, bake at 450 for 10 minutes and then approx 20 minutes at 350. I am calling it a day.

Karla, yeah you on such a great loss. Are ou eating any protein in your salads? Hope you are not going too low for too long. The back molar was unstable and they were supposed to pull it 2 years ago,when I had all the periodontal surgery. But after all the trouble with the back molar on the other side periodontist said it was too hard for her to do and I would have to see an oral surgeon. It wasn't causing any pain, so no urgency to have it pulled. I developed a cavity in the molar in front of it and the dentist said I would need to get the back one pulled before he could work on the cavity.but now I have to wait three weeks before they will work on the bad tooth. At least I am not having pain in it now. Glad you got better news than me.

Cindy, getting so excited for the new book. It won't be long now. I think being so productive with your writing is affecting your eating in a positive way.

Janet, I hope your endocrinologist agrees with you and increases your dose so you have more energy. Nobody knows your body and metabolism better than you, so hope she listens. Really looking forward to Monday!

Mary Lynn, it makes me smile to hear that your testosterone treatment has worked so well for you. I remember when you first brought it up here and how down you sounded. Better living through chemistry has always been my motto. Of course, being a nurse I have first hand observations to support my motto.

Patti

• bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. We had a terrible storm last night and its rainy this morning as well. I have a visit this morning with one of my field students. My cleaning lady is also coming today. Yesterday I had another injection on my knee ( I have a torn meniscus and also arthritis.) My doctor said that the next thing to do is a scope in the knee to fix the mensicus and scrape out some arthritis, but he can't eliminate the arthritis.) I'm really thinking heavily on the procedure because it would be yet another surgery. It will depend on the pain level though.

Patti: My brother's care giver hasn't left yet, but he says it's a matter of time. She helped him with paperwork yesterday, and he said she was a big help. My daugher (actually, she's my step-daughter, but I consider my daughter) is going to meet me when I go to visit him. It's very nice of her.

MaryLynn: What do you mean by "testosterone days"? I think I've missed something along the way.

Janet: My endocrinologist told me that too much thyroid dosages damage other organs. My body has adjusted to the lower dose she has me on, but I agree, it's more difficult to lose weight. I've had trouble for years. I was at my lowest weight ever 6 years ago and have had trouble ever since.

Karla: Congratulations on your weight loss!

Confession time.......I definitely need to adjust my eating habits. More salads are in store for me. I confess that I don't drink enough water. I just get busy and forget to drink.........that will change today!

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert