TotalDetermination's journal

Replies

• totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    the last few days have been good.

I have now managed 2 weeks of being around or below maintenance each day.
    I feel like I have a good routine which works for me and I am eager to start to improve on it.

Its funny that breakfast is usually the meal that I can most easily do without and yet looking back over the last couple of weeks of entries it is the one that I am most likely to eat over. The breakfast that I have been eating the last couple of weeks is not very satisfying which could be why I am eating something else so I want to see how it goes to not have any breakfast and stick to just coffee. It should be quite easy for me, because on mornings when I am in a rush I tend to skip breakfast anyway. Also I have found that breakfast is not a meal that I particularly need - I tend to eat it from habit. oh, and because I like to eat.

I'll wait till Monday to start because the other thing I noticed looking back is that its mostly weekend when I struggle so I don't want to make this any harder.

I actually feel quite excited that I get to start losing weight. Its good motivation to get through the weekend on track.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Glad things are still going good! You're doing awesome!
  • totaldetermination
    Saturday was not so good but I managed to turn it round in the evening and in the end it was probably around maintenance.
    Sunday went quite smoothly and was also around maintenance.

So I am going to start to reduce calories monday to friday but for the weekends I am just going to eat at maintenance because even that is a challenge.

I feel fairly confident. Although eating at maintenance is easier than eating at a deficit, I have gotten used to having to follow a plan and sometimes half the challenge is just sticking to the plan. So now all I have to do is slowly change the plan.

I am going to start by skipping breakfast and see how that goes - in the past it has been quite easy to manage my days without it. Also, looking back, on days when I stray from my breakfast plan, it can affect the whole day.

Also, I think I have lost some weight. Quite a few of my clothes feel loose. So I think that my current 'plan' actually puts me at a deficit, anyway. So reducing it should really start to make a difference :smiley: !

• totaldetermination
    good first day.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Glad things are going well! You've got this! =)
  • totaldetermination
    good few days
  • totaldetermination
    I have a routine that works for me and I am sticking to it reasonably well. I have a slight deficit on weekdays and am eating at maintenance on weekends. I plan to gradually improve on both of those.

The challenges now are the impulse choices that I make. Grabbing something on my way out of the supermarket or coffee shop. If I go into the coffee shop having made the decision in advance not to buy anything other than coffee then I am usually ok. But if I don't then sometimes I buy something extra as well. The same applies to all the other impulse purchases we are constantly bombarded with. I also work in an environment with so many snacking options available which I help myself to almost as a matter of habit, and without any real thought.

What I have realised is that even if make one bad choice, I absolutely can control the second choice and not let one bad choice result in a string of bad choices. After the one bad choice I often think to myself that 'I wish I hadn't done that'. This at least brings me some awareness to myself and my actions. So I might have made the first choice without really thinking, but the next choice does not have the same excuse. I can make a firm decision at that point to stop. and I can follow through with that decision. I know that generally the longer I wait and the more bad decision I make, the harder it becomes to stop and the more I regret my choices. So that second choice is a really important one.

I think with time I'll get better (as I have in the past, during my 'healthier' periods), and I will no longer automatically help myself but I'm happy for this progress and having the power to make a smart second choice.
  • totaldetermination
    Its been a good week.

Weekdays are easy and the plan is working well. i'll do one more week like this and then reduce slightly again.
    Weekends are a challenge. I don't really have a plan for weekends and it shows. I still get by eating at maintenance but I end up having to stop eating after lunch on Sunday or go for a really long walk or something to make the numbers work. Its not really sustainable this way. I have to find something better. I don't mind if I don't achieve a deficit on the weekend but I at least want whatever I am doing to be sustainable. At the moment its a struggle each time.

But in all I am pleased. I feel I am finding something that will work to help me lose the weight and then keep it off.
  • totaldetermination
    good few days
  • totaldetermination
    good few days - even with the Halloween candy !
  • WifiresGettingFit
    @totaldetermination Awesome job! =)
  • totaldetermination
    still going well :smile: .
    Feel like I've found my groove. Even the weekend was ok - not through a specific plan, just by making smart choices and limiting my snacking.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Glad things are still going well! =)
  • totaldetermination
    another weekend...
    another chance to control my snacking.

weekdays are doing well. I feel that my meals are about as good as they are going to get. I don't think I can sustainably reduce my calories to anything less. If I am going to increase my rate of weight loss then it will have to come from exercise. But even if it stays as it is then that is ok. I am losing 1/2 pound a week, some weeks a bit more. which is fine.

weekends are still a challenge because its harder to find a routine that works when every weekend is different. but at least i am able to get back into the flow on Monday morning.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    I definitely relate about the weekends, so glad to hear that you're getting into a good groove! =)
  • WifiresGettingFit
    @totaldetermination Keep that groove going, you've got this!
  • totaldetermination
    still doing well.
    occasional hiccups but thats ok.
    received a lovely compliment that Id lost weight :smile:.
  • totaldetermination
    started to slip on the weekend, and still slipping now.
    not good. but i dont feel motivated to change.
    i remember one time writing in here all the reasons why i wanted to do this.
    I dont have time now but might come back to do that as i think it helped.
    *sigh*
    must shake myself out of this.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Are you happy where you are? Are there reasons you WANT to change? Looking at past reasons might be a reminder, but people change over time, what do you want to change in your life right now?
  • totaldetermination
    Ive been busy which makes it easier as I'm more active and have less time for mindless snacking.
    Im Still slowly losing. I would like it to be faster - I feel like I am going to so much effort, and I want to see results !!!
    But ultimately as long as the scale is going in the right direction then thats ok.