May you never miss a deadlift and drop it on the floor - daily checkin for may.

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    well, wowsers. so much for 'agh ack eek cycle 3 and fives week again already yike so soon so much weight i don't think i can but gee i guess i should at least haul myself in there and wave at the weights'. surprise of the second half of my life: i like hanging out in gyms just for the sake of hanging out there. spent the afternoon there, pretty much. by the time i left i'd done all three of a stronglifts B day, instead of just the 'well, let's at least try deadlift' i had been thinking of. in order from most to least rewarding:

deadlift: 100/115/130. not in the least my best lift, this time around. i think only got 5 on the last set, but that's okay since that counts. i did the middle set with 120 instead of just 115. and a LOT of warmup, and 5-sets of rows in between at 50/60/70/80, just to prove i still can do that 80lb row.

press: 50/55/57. the last set was actually three at 60 and then three or four at 55. again, i'm gonna count it since i was cleaning the bar for my warmups and for the other two sets and that's more work than you first think it will be. prolly record it as 6 final reps too.

squats: i did it \o/ 60/70/80 and i think 7 reps for the last set. really didn't plan to or think that i could, but it's amazing what you do do when someone else is working in with you and you can't faff around doubting yourself. i started with really wide grip, got progressively tighter and 5 pounds heavier with each set all the way up from 45 to 60, and then decided to just dig in and to the 10-pound progressions prescribed. dude i was sharing with started at 95 and was lifting 200+ on the next peg up from mine by the time he was done, so i got some upper-body accessory in just doing my part of the loading/unloading for him.

squat magic bullet this week: LEVATOR SCAPULA MUSCLE. good grief. seems like when that one's too tight, nothing goes right with a bar on your back.

now i eat a watermelon, and tomorrow i rest.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Day 4 - Workout B.

Squat @ 60 lbs for 5x5
    OHP @ 45 lbs for 5/5/5/3/5 - this is when I got some bad news from my mom concerning my Uncle so it definitely impacted me.
    Deadlift @ 95 lbs for 1x5 - I did it but my heart and mind definitely weren't in it. I am gonna try again at this weight next time.

Didn't do anything extra - ran out of the gym after my deadlift. May be out of the gym for a few days due to family matters.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Samantha - Take care of yourself. Sorry to hear about your uncle.

Congrats Dawn! Terrain Portland, by chance? I'm signed up for Terrain Flagstaff in the summer and Phoenix in the fall!

Yep. Terrain Portland, which wasn't held in Portland. It was kind of nice though as all of my other runs required driving up to Portland. This was closer to home in the little "town" area south of big city not that far from where I work. Plus, had great trails. I would hike the area if it's permissible.

My shins are very bruised. Mostly the right up the shin, which I used more often when trying to pull up on the metal bars to reach rope layouts and other things. Left knee has the big knot though, not sure what I hit that on over the very long challenge. Don't think I'll lift until Tuesday. Need to recover.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Dawn, some impressive "war wounds" there by the sounds of things. Glad you enjoyed it!

After a lazy day yesterday, I lifted this morning before work. Destroyed my lifting gloves in the washing machine yesterday so had to lift bare handed, which I am not keen on..

SQ 5X5 @ 65 kgs. Will stick here next time before moving up again I think, although form was good.

OHP 5X5 @30kgs although I needed to push with my knees rather more than I wanted to. Work still required here.

DL 1X5@77.5 kgs which equals my best. My hands are sore now but I am so glad I didn't wimp out and lift less just because I didn't have gloves.

Then 2 miles.on the crosstrainer. A satisfactory start to the day.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Catching up!

Saturday:
    Squats: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x120
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x75 (bumped these up 5# and it was fine)
    Deads: 1x5x135
    After lifting I took my twins to Six Flags Great America for their 12th birthday and spent the day walking around, so got plenty of movement - actually hit 10000 steps which basically never happens lol.

Sunday was a rest day, did walk a little, but nothing big.

Today:
    Bench: 2x5x45, 5x5x85
    Row: 5x5x85

I'm not in the best place with my nutrition lately, but I'm planning on a better week this week. Countdown to Aruba is on!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    Day 5 - Workout A

Squat @ 65 lbs for 5x5
    Bench @ 55 lbs for 5/3/5/4/5 - this one will be a challenge for sure. I anticipate staying here for a few more rounds.
    Barbell Row @ 55 lbs for 5/5/4/5/5 - almost!!! I thought I was going to get it but something happened during that middle set that had me only get 4. It's all good though. Progress, not perfection.

I also did a few sets using an Iso-bench machine while waiting for the bench to free up. First time doing that.

Tomorrow I have a cardio kickboxing class so I won't be doing a Stronglifts workout. Back to it on Wednesday though!

Ps. Does anyone ever feel off-kilter when they are not in their gym? Due to the family situation, I was in a different weight room today and I felt so foreign. I didn't know anyone or where any of the equipment was.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Day 5 - Workout A

Squat @ 65 lbs for 5x5
    Bench @ 55 lbs for 5/3/5/4/5 - this one will be a challenge for sure. I anticipate staying here for a few more rounds.
    Barbell Row @ 55 lbs for 5/5/4/5/5 - almost!!! I thought I was going to get it but something happened during that middle set that had me only get 4. It's all good though. Progress, not perfection.

I also did a few sets using an Iso-bench machine while waiting for the bench to free up. First time doing that.

Tomorrow I have a cardio kickboxing class so I won't be doing a Stronglifts workout. Back to it on Wednesday though!

Ps. Does anyone ever feel off-kilter when they are not in their gym? Due to the family situation, I was in a different weight room today and I felt so foreign. I didn't know anyone or where any of the equipment was.

• canadianlbs
    Options
    just gonna report that i could have lifted but i put in a full day's work on my traps and rhomboids already with a wall and a lacrosse ball.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Cardio for next today.... 4 miles on the crosstrainer before work.

Might swing a kettlebell about later......then planning to lift again tomorrow :)
  • canadianlbs
    edited May 2016
    Options
    bench press 5/5/5+ done. darn, i didn't want 75lb to be this hard still.
    45/45/45/ warmups, 50/65/75 work, 6 on last set. meh.

accessories 3x8 row at 65. didn't want that to be that hard either.

also did 3x10 squats with the bar, then what-the-hell another 3x10 with 50 pounds later on since the form seemed to be there. and, um. also 3x10 deadlifts with the 65lb row bar but that didn't really happen. i will say though that doing deadlift while wearing squat shoes seemed to kick my hamstrings harder and leave my quads much more out of the mix.

only mitigation is i pmuch just woke up and went. minimal coffee, no water/creatine, and def no breakfast or protein shake. so there's all of that . . . oh yeah, and on the scale me and my full water bottle and my squat shoes only weighed 134 and some change. DEFINITELY not a lot of anything much inside me, if that was the case.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    SL's A

Squat: 45lbs 2x5, 65 lbs 1x5, 75lbs 4x5, 80lbs 1x5

BP: 45lbs 2x5, 70lbs 3x5

Row: 45lbs 1x5, 65lbs 3x5

Skullcrushers: 25lbs 3x8

Shrugs: 50lbs 2x10

Haven't been in the gym since last Thursday, but I went cycling 2 days, kayaking 1 day and a nice yoga class to round it all off, so I thought I would be ok today with my shoulder as its had a good couple of days rest.
    That would be a big no, I was not!! Ughhh, everything was a struggle today because of the freakin' shoulder!!! For the first time ever I thought the bar was going to end up on my face during BP's, at that point I called it a day on the bench :-/ Only thing that went well was my squats, in addition to BP's, the row was hard, skullcrushers, shrugs, not a good day at all :-( But it is still better then not going at all I think.
    I finally go tomorrow to the ortho for the results of my MRI, I'm hoping he gives me a nice big cortisone shot to get me through the summer! :#
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Time for an update, I've been feeling a bit better and getting back into routine. Although it's no fun having to get up in the dark. I'm going to have to wear gloves soon because the bar is getting cold in the mornings.

I've switched to 3x5 on OHP and BP, I think I was supposed to earlier on but I must have missed the app letting me know. I'm going to continue with Stronglifts for now, but I've been really looking at what I'm going to move to next. I think I've settled on Madcow because it's nice and simple like Stronglifts, plus an extra day for dynamic effort stuff.

SQ: 5,4,5 at 45kg. I wasn't happy with the depth on the last rep of the second set, so counted it as a miss. Really trying to nail down form before progressing weight.
    OHP: 3x5 at 24kg. Three sets is so nice!
    DL: 1x5 at 60kg and 72.5kg. I'm amazed at how easy 60kg feels now, that's almost my bodyweight.
    HT: 3x8 at 55kg. Changed up the rep ranges for the burn. Glutes on fire.
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to post. Hope y'all don't mind if I join the fun. :smile:

Today, I ran 30 mins on the treadmill

Later, before my lifts I did 20 mins of piyo
    For lifts I did:
    Squats 90lbs
    Bench 80lbs
    Rows 65 lbs 2x10, 3x5

All in all, a good day.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Bit of a hit and miss session for me today but I really feel as though I worked hard, so I'll take that and run with it:

SQ 5/5/4/5/4 @ 67.5kgs I tried for that last rep on each set but it wasn't going to happen. Next time!!

BP 5/4/3 @42.5kg then back to 40 kgs for 2 x 5 - felt scrappy on these. Need to focus more as I really really want to push through and head towards 50kgs by the end of the year.

Row - 5x5 45kgs. I deloaded slightly from last session (47.5kgs) as I want to work on my arms not sticking out so much. I want them to go back rather than out.

So, then did some work from "strong"

Goblet squats - 2x 12 @ 26kgs

Single arm rows - 2x 12 @ 10kgs - really concentrating on getting the elbows back and up rather than flailing out.

step ups - 2 x 12 each side with 10kgs in each hand. Hard on my hips so will be interesting to see if it aches later today.

Press ups - 2 x 12 full press ups. Pleased with these.

plank 60s then 45s

bird dog 4 x 15secs each side. After the first one when I nearly fell flat on my face, I got the hang of these.

Finished off with a mile of intervals on the cross trainer.

I really really felt like I worked. Just need to squeeze out those last reps and concentrate on holding form.

• sammyliftsandeats
    Options
    Workout B today.

Squat @ 70 lbs for 5x5 - it's getting tougher. I'm starting to rest longer between sets.

OHP @ 45 lbs for 5x5 - finally! It was definitely tough but I had to hype myself up mentally to give it a lot of effort instead of doing four and then saying in my head 'oh well...didn't make it.'

DL @ 105 lbs for 1x2 - this one was hard. I went down to 95 lbs afterwards and did 2 sets of 3 so I think I should go back and work on 95 lbs again.

Did a few sets on the leg press, assisted dips/chins, and the calf raise machine.

Had a cardio kickboxing class last night so I'm wiped. No Stronglifts tomorrow but I will probably do a little cardio and calisthenics. Need to work on my push ups.

Happy Hump Day!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Ok, so yesterday - 7 mile bike ride. Today lifting.
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x75
    Dead: 1x5x140

Seriously grumpy lifter this morning, I had a whole lot of hatred to the squats. I think being in Aruba next week, away from lifting for a week, may be what I need to recharge on it. I won't allow myself to quit lifting unless I am injured, but it would be nice if I could find a way to like squats at least. I don't have to love them...but liking would be good. Of course, I do respect them because they do some nifty things to my body....but still....
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i got galvanized by a t-nation article on lower trap activation and scapular stabilizing, so i went into the gym and did a whole bunch of let-me-just-stand-here-and-glare-into-space-while-i-move-one-body-part-through-one-half-of-an-inch in various forms.

then, since controlling that left shoulderblade is more or less what is wrong with my whole bench pressing life, i lay down on the bench and did a very slow series of 5x5 with the bar, totally for the purpose of 'watching' that left lower trap for its role in it all.

took the squat shoes on the possible principle that all of it might transfer over to me and the bar in my squats, but didn't actually use them as i didn't trust it that far. the rest of my day is going to be the lacrosse ball and pecs.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I have a lot to do as I'm moving to LA in a couple of weeks. Still got some lifting and stuff going on though. Today had a quick lifting session. Went to see about possible cancel of membership. It's one of the gyms with a contract, so have to get that all figured out. There is a location somewhere there but the city is bigger and it wouldn't be close to the studio apartment and no idea where we're going to move once my sister and I find a place to live closer to where I will be working. The gym says it has to be 25 miles away or further to cancel, so we'll see what he has to say on it when the gym owner is back next week. Not on program yet and throat is sore so wasn't quite up for gym but lifted anyways.

squat 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135 and 3x5 @ 155 - very slow, no belt

good morning 3x10 @ 95
    front squats 2x5 @ 95 - hands didn't like these and hurt, right one in particular

cable kick back, single leg - 3x8 @ 40

elliptical for 25 minutes while watching food network

I was going to run tomorrow but am taking over a morning shift as a favor for a coworker, so I'll work then go up to Portland for an errand and donuts. Maybe run on Friday and do upper body lifting tomorrow night instead.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Winter is properly on its way. My home gym is outside in the shed, this morning I had my beanie and gloves on. I'm also working out in my slipper boots, because they are the only shoes that have a flat hard sole. Looking to get some Vans or Cons soon.

SQ: 3x5 at 45kg
    BP: 3x5 at 32.5kg
    BR: 5,4,5,4,4 at 38kg. Think I'll be switching to a 3x5 scheme for this one too, second time I've got stuck here at 38kg.
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    Bit of a hit and miss session for me today but I really feel as though I worked hard, so I'll take that and run with it:

SQ 5/5/4/5/4 @ 67.5kgs I tried for that last rep on each set but it wasn't going to happen. Next time!!

BP 5/4/3 @42.5kg then back to 40 kgs for 2 x 5 - felt scrappy on these. Need to focus more as I really really want to push through and head towards 50kgs by the end of the year.

Row - 5x5 45kgs. I deloaded slightly from last session (47.5kgs) as I want to work on my arms not sticking out so much. I want them to go back rather than out.

So, then did some work from "strong"

Goblet squats - 2x 12 @ 26kgs

Single arm rows - 2x 12 @ 10kgs - really concentrating on getting the elbows back and up rather than flailing out.

step ups - 2 x 12 each side with 10kgs in each hand. Hard on my hips so will be interesting to see if it aches later today.

Press ups - 2 x 12 full press ups. Pleased with these.

plank 60s then 45s

bird dog 4 x 15secs each side. After the first one when I nearly fell flat on my face, I got the hang of these.

Finished off with a mile of intervals on the cross trainer.

I really really felt like I worked. Just need to squeeze out those last reps and concentrate on holding form.

How do you like the Strong program?