QUESTIONS & ANSWERS!

Options

Replies

• MissionEnforcer
    MissionEnforcer Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    starjam25 wrote: »
    Is it to late for me to join?

The teams are currently full. There is a "Wait List" under "Announcements" in the Main Group Post (same place you found this Q&A. Add your name to the list AND join the group. You will be contacted when an opening occurs.
  • starjam25
    starjam25 Posts: 4,725 Member
    Options
    starjam25 wrote: »
    Is it to late for me to join?

The teams are currently full. There is a "Wait List" under "Announcements" in the Main Group Post (same place you found this Q&A. Add your name to the list AND join the group. You will be contacted when an opening occurs.

I tried to add my name to a team but I couldn't but I did add my name to the wait list. But do I have to add my name to a team or can I just be added to a team when the time comes? I don't know anything about any of the teams and have no particular interest in joining any particular one. Thanks!
  • MissionEnforcer
    Options
    @starjam25 You don't need to join a team yet. You just need to become a member of the Main Group (there should be a "Join" button there somewhere...) Then when an opening occurs, you will be notified and placed on that team.
  • starjam25
    starjam25 Posts: 4,725 Member
    Options
    @starjam25 You don't need to join a team yet. You just need to become a member of the Main Group (there should be a "Join" button there somewhere...) Then when an opening occurs, you will be notified and placed on that team.

Thank you... I finally got it.... I got confused with join the group and join a team! Momentary brain cramp there!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I think I understand, but just wanted a little clarification because the wording was confusing to me on the stairs challenge...

"** 770 STAIRS UP = 10 POINTS **
    That’s not floors, flights, or steps...it is the AMOUNT OF STAIRS! UP!"

Do we count the number of steps up we take or not? What is the difference between a step up and a single stair up? To me they are the same. (Frankly, to me, stairs would be a full flight, but a single tread and riser combination on the stairs IS a step.) Unless you mean you can't count steps of regular walking, and that would make sense. I'm just a bit confused and suspect it might be different colloquialisms that is causing a bit of confusion for me. Thanks!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I'd like some clarification/ruling on the eating challenge please. As I read it I can have a snack within 2 hours of eating but nothing after 10:00 p.m. Here's my question(s). I'm going to a cocktail party with strolling, eating and drinking but no defined "dinner". So if I confine my eating/drinking to a two hour window is that sufficient? Also, do cocktails after the two hour window count as eating?
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    I think I understand, but just wanted a little clarification because the wording was confusing to me on the stairs challenge...

Do we count the number of steps up we take or not? What is the difference between a step up and a single stair up? To me they are the same. (Frankly, to me, stairs would be a full flight, but a single tread and riser combination on the stairs IS a step.) Unless you mean you can't count steps of regular walking, and that would make sense. I'm just a bit confused and suspect it might be different colloquialisms that is causing a bit of confusion for me. Thanks!

Different flights have a different number of stairs/steps on them... for instance, my split level home has just 7 steps on each flight, but at work it is 10 and other places it is more. The reason they emphasize the step UP, is so that people know that going DOWN stairs doesn't count... make sense?
  • hawkins410
    hawkins410 Posts: 2,105 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cardbucfan wrote: »
    I'd like some clarification/ruling on the eating challenge please. As I read it I can have a snack within 2 hours of eating but nothing after 10:00 p.m. Here's my question(s). I'm going to a cocktail party with strolling, eating and drinking but no defined "dinner". So if I confine my eating/drinking to a two hour window is that sufficient? Also, do cocktails after the two hour window count as eating?
    Remember, the challenge is only 5 out of 7 days, so you are free to party two nights this week. If there is a 3rd, then I would say that 2.5 hours is long enough for a combo of "dinner" and "snacks". That would be the same as if I started dinner at 6:00, ate for a half-hour, and finished my snacks by 8:30. That would all be within the required time limit. Cocktails DO count as "snacks", so switching to some Perrier with a little lemon would do the trick! :)
  • hawkins410
    Options
    @GrandmaJackie: I'm glad you got such a good laugh! That is what I try to design the majority of these challenges for: to have fun while working out! I consider the ability to laugh with ourselves to be a great asset! :D

@rusgolden: Thank you for helping to clarify! I think you explained it! :)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    @hawkins410 -isn't it 5/7 days? But the answer helps and one of my cocktail parties only goes from 5:30-8 so I can manage that. Just have to be really good Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Sunday!

I will NOT eat the Halloween candy, I will NOT eat the Halloween candy,...
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    b3achy wrote: »

Different flights have a different number of stairs/steps on them... for instance, my split level home has just 7 steps on each flight, but at work it is 10 and other places it is more. The reason they emphasize the step UP, is so that people know that going DOWN stairs doesn't count... make sense?

Actually my confusion is from them saying it is NOT STEPs...I get that it is up and not down. And I agree that staircase/flights can have a variety of steps depending on how tall each floor is in a building. Typically, stairs means the entire staircase or flight of steps. Ergo, saying it's 770 stairs and not steps is what is confusing to me. I think they really mean 770 steps up.

http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-steps-and-vs-stairs/
  • hawkins410
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cardbucfan wrote: »
    @hawkins410 -isn't it 5/7 days? But the answer helps and one of my cocktail parties only goes from 5:30-8 so I can manage that. Just have to be really good Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Sunday!
    I will NOT eat the Halloween candy, I will NOT eat the Halloween candy,...
    You're right:5 out of 7 days! I'm glad you found a way to make it happen!
    My quote is: "I won't eat chocolate, I won't eat chocolate, I won't eat chocolate"!
    Good luck to both of us!! ;)
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    @MissionEnforcer @hawkins410

Ok so I have a conundrum. I work from home and my home is only a single story so I don't readily have access to stairs. I went to the gym today and worked on the stair stepper. My problem is that the stair stepper does not count actual stairs climbed, it only does floors climbed. I know that the number of stairs in a floor can vary depending on the ceiling heights. I am lucky enough to be married to an architect and he said most average ceiling heights are 8ft. and that would be approx. 15 stairs per floor, 9ft would be 16 stairs. I wanted to see if I just went with the 9ft/16 stairs if that would be ok.

So what would you suggest in my case? Is their any # of stair per floor standard we could use???
  • MissionEnforcer
    Options
    The standard is 12, but I will accept 14 per floor = 55 floors.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The standard is 12, but I will accept 14 per floor = 55 floors.

Poo. I just did 65 floors on the stair stepper at the gym because I went by the 12 stairs per flight rule. I guess I overdid it a little bit. It was a great workout, though. Should have read this thread first. :p But I guess a few extra steps won't hurt. My knees may tell me otherwise in the morning... ;)

Just to clarify: the snack rule is 5 out of any 7 days during the week, not 5 consecutive days during the week, right? I don't want to get 4 days in, screw up one day, and not be able to fix it!!! Thx!
  • scarletspy
    scarletspy Posts: 170 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Do hit drinks like tea count as a snack? I usually have a cup of decaf as part of my bedtime routine so I wanted to check. Skipped it last night just in case :)
  • hawkins410
    Options
    @jenilla1: The 5 days do not have to be consecutive, but I would certainly recommend getting it done before the weekend if possible!

@scarletspy: No, a cup of decaf tea wouldn't be considered a "nighttime snack". The challenge is designed for those of us that have a problem with evening snacking on worthless junk food, such as chips, ice cream and chocolate. Your tea sounds good! :)
  • MissionEnforcer
    Options
    NOTE: The 10 Points for CHALLENGE #1 IS FOR DOING THE 5 DANCE VIDEOS 2x EACH.
    Not for watching the 2 Romanian videos (which you may count as 10 minutes of exercise,
    if active while you watch.