Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• lulusland
    lulusland Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone.. I want to start on keto but I am not sure how. What I do need is more information on how things work to know what steps to take. Is there a book or website you recommend that can tell me more on what i should be eating and how much and etc?

Thanks
  • RoosterDJC
    RoosterDJC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I got a ton of info at www.ruled.me tons of information and recipes there.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    RoosterDJC wrote: »
    I got a ton of info at www.ruled.me tons of information and recipes there.

this is where I started too. and I asked a lot of questions on the forum. I learnt most from other people here.
    Good Luck! you won't be disappointed :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    In our "cousin" group that covers all levels of low carbing/any type of carb restriction: You do have to sign up, as it's currently a private group, but if you decide it isn't for you (far busier than here, but much overlap in people)....then just leave that group, no harm, no foul...

Check out the LAUNCH PAD

RECOMMENDED SITES AND RESOURCES

RECIPE SITES, ETC.
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    How do you know when you are fat adapted compared to just in ketosis?

There's also a keto subreddit full of great info!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    @lulusland If you haven't already, you should consider joining the The Low Carb Daily Forum Group. It is designed for people who eat at all levels of low carb, including keto and has extremely valuable resources linked (webpages, books, discussions etc) at the top called the Launchpad http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

This group is good and supportive but the LCDF is much more active. A lot of the active members here are also active in the other group. There will be a link, discussion post, or a member for any question, triumph or difficulty you may experience along the way. Knowledge is power. Good luck in your journey!
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! Happy belated New Year. Glad to see some old...and by 'old' I mean 'familiar'...folks on this thread. Last week I started paying harder attention to things again - I was up 12 lbs from March. Went back on LC (not enough fat to call it keto) last week and dropped almost 4 over the past 7 days. Always inspiring. Probably headed to true keto this next week. I'll have some time to meal plan over the weekend.

Any thoughts about Quest bars? I'm not much for processed food, but my schedule changes every three months and last week I didn't have time to prep snacks (plus the snacks have to be okay with no refrigeration). I got a few bars for emergencies and ate two this week. It's hard to say how they affected me (3.8lbs down for the week). Would I have dropped more without them? Who knows? I know that they did keep me from heading to the on-site cafeteria where I tend to make crummy choices.

From what I've seen people seem to love them or hate them. Any experience you wanna pass on?
  • Scochrane86
    Options
    Down 10.5lbs since last Monday! Started my first fast last night. Doing 24 hours. Feeling good!
  • RoosterDJC
    Options
    I haven't tried protein bars, but I do carry around a boiled egg for a snack. I even tried taking a link of turkey sausage for a snack too.

I recently heard of phat fudge from the paleochef. I'm tempted to give that a try.
  • RoosterDJC
    Options
    Down 10.5lbs since last Monday! Started my first fast last night. Doing 24 hours. Feeling good!

10 pounds in 11 days!? That's incredible. What kind of exercise are you doing? Well done :-)
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    Well I am about 10 days in and I don't see the scale changing really. That's always hard to gauge with me though. I do feel skinnier and look different I think. Cravings are not really bad. Im just tired of eating certain things already. Im too busy to really make the meals interesting.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    JodiSW wrote: »
    Hey everybody! Happy belated New Year. Glad to see some old...and by 'old' I mean 'familiar'...folks on this thread. Last week I started paying harder attention to things again - I was up 12 lbs from March. Went back on LC (not enough fat to call it keto) last week and dropped almost 4 over the past 7 days. Always inspiring. Probably headed to true keto this next week. I'll have some time to meal plan over the weekend.

Any thoughts about Quest bars? I'm not much for processed food, but my schedule changes every three months and last week I didn't have time to prep snacks (plus the snacks have to be okay with no refrigeration). I got a few bars for emergencies and ate two this week. It's hard to say how they affected me (3.8lbs down for the week). Would I have dropped more without them? Who knows? I know that they did keep me from heading to the on-site cafeteria where I tend to make crummy choices.

From what I've seen people seem to love them or hate them. Any experience you wanna pass on?

@JodiSW - They're hit and miss. I've heard the new cereal ones they put out have better macros. Personally, I'd do something more like Epic bars or beef/cheddar sticks, macadamia nuts, etc.

I had one with sucralose in it, ate 1/4 of the bar, near instant migraine, massive cravings, mad water retention, misery. I had one with only stevia in it, ate the whole bar, was a little hungrier, no headaches, etc. So, I think the sweeteners do matter, as well as any with "natural" flavors, but in my opinion, there are a lot better options. That being said, if it keeps you on track and they're only a temporary fix, and you don't seem to have issues with them, keep them for emergencies.
  • JodiSW
    Options
    Thanks for the tips on snacks. Yes. I think I'll get away from the Quest bars. @RoosterDJC - Please post if you try that Phat Fudge. I just looked up the recipe and it looks really interesting. @KnitOrMiss - Epic Bars?? Just looked them up and they look great. Which ones do you like?
  • Scochrane86
    Options
    RoosterDJC wrote: »

10 pounds in 11 days!? That's incredible. What kind of exercise are you doing? Well done :-)

Thank you :) I haven't started any exercise yet. I'm trying to get used to my eating and then I'm hoping to start some exercise.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    JodiSW wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips on snacks. Yes. I think I'll get away from the Quest bars. @RoosterDJC - Please post if you try that Phat Fudge. I just looked up the recipe and it looks really interesting. @KnitOrMiss - Epic Bars?? Just looked them up and they look great. Which ones do you like?

@JodiSW - I actually haven't tried any of the EPIC bars, yet, but I've heard them highly recommended repeatedly (like 10-20 different people). I would probably lean toward the more exotic meats, since the bars are all around the same price. Buffalo is supposed to be excellent...can't recall, wasn't there a venison one, too??

I got a KetoCrate as a Holiday Gift from a friend, and I'm still working my way through everything...but the beef jerky I was sent was really good, too. I'm trying to remember the brand. I don't remember if they post stuff on their site after the monthly delivery, but the brand might be on there... I'm kind of scared to try the flax crackers, and I'm saving the low carb snickerdoodle pack for a rainy day. Looking forward to the dish that calls to me for the Chipotle mayo, too. LOL
  • zyarnykh
    zyarnykh Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Started keto on 1/14/17. Pretty good at keeping at least under 50 grams total, and usually much less than that. However, I still seem to be eating close to 2000 cals per day...which is too much for my frame. I want to get to 115 (currently 133). Question about "maintenance" for 5-10 percent loss: do you continue keto, just up your calories?
  • RoosterDJC
    Options
    I just read an article (wish I remember where it was) that said you shouldn't stay on a keto diet for more than 4 to 6 months at a time. It also said that after long periods of time your body can begin to store fat on a keto diet to compensate for the lack of carbohydrates. If I find that article again I'll point to it, but I'm sure many on here have been keto for much longer with great results.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have been ketoing on and off for 2.5 years
    Serious focus on weight loss for 2 months.

I adhere to a non medical keto approach to weight loss with keto (less fat, I have enough fat on my body without eatingit in excess). The only goal I have is my protein, carbs I count as total not net and fat is to make up calories. I still eat at a deficit and track fairly strictly.
    I've lost 13 kg (28.5 pounds) in the last 66 days
    Located in Australia, I'm usually posting at different times and cannot always find the same amazing lc foods
  • JodiSW
    Options
    @Libellule23

Congrats on your loss. You must feel great! What are you limiting your total carbs to a day?