Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Scochrane86 - if her activity is high and her calories are lower, protein and fat can be closer together. With a decent amount of muscle, 75 grams of protein seems quite low...

Somewhere, @Sunny_Bunny_ has a chart that shows how dynamically macros percentages change as you're in different phases - weight loss, maintenance, and everything between...

@shmily76 - My first thoughts are that unless those carbier choices are immediately before a workout, you can really be doing your body a disservice but doing a drastic roller coaster thing. Any thing over 10 carbs, a portion of which is actual sugar, can stop fat burning and kick you out of ketosis temporarily before far burning.

But, my main question is - how long have you been working out? Most folks find that it is necessary to ease up on workouts in the first weeks, up to 12 weeks, depending on person, to give your body time to build new muscle mitochondria that work on fat as fuel first...

Also, any intense workouts will use up nutrition and retain water to repair muscles. Are you eating back workout calories? What is your calorie goal? Did you use a calculator to determine your needs? Are you using too drastic a deficit? Do you have chronic health conditions your body might be healing first? Are you getting enough water/sodium/electrolytes? Do you have much to lose?

But honestly, part of it could just be you being new to keto and being very active. The main mantra of keto that gets bandied about often is "Keep Calm, Keto On." Part of the reason for this is that it can take at least 4 weeks, usually closer to 12 weeks, to start seeing the true results of any changes, aside for fluid retention/drops, from changes - so the reals results of what you're doing can be just around the corner. Most folks in the keto world suggest evaluating ever 12 weeks to see where you're at... Slow and steady wins the race.
  • RoosterDJC
    RoosterDJC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    shmily76 wrote: »
    I need help. Been doing Keto over a month. No weight loss. Working out 4 days a week, 20 min cardio, 20 min HIIT, images of today's log attached. Keto stix show I'm in Keto. What am I doing wrong?! And no, no changes in measurements, so it's not shifting. I'm so frustrated.

What are your actual calories vs goal calories for the day? You still need a calorie deficit to lose.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @Scochrane86 - if her activity is high and her calories are lower, protein and fat can be closer together. With a decent amount of muscle, 75 grams of protein seems quite low...

From what she had mentioned her workouts to be, I do not feel they are enough to warrant much more than 75g of protein, if she was lifting for an hour or two a day perhaps but I truly think that could be what is holding her back, and I don't think it will hurt to try to lower it for a little while to see if the scale moves.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Depending on her lean body mass 75g could potentially be enough. With a general target range of 0.8-1.0g/kg of LBM at, say, 100lbs(45kg) of LBM would max at 50g of protein. Now I don't think she has to worry much about protein being stored as fat. Also assuming she has a reasonable amount of fat to lose lowering protein shouldn't be too harmful as far as losing LBM.

Now to actually attempt to answer her question, there are schools of thought that some ladies need to go through a hormone balancing phase first before a good amount of fat burning can occur. Patience may be the key. Another though as mentioned by @RoosterDJC mentioned and @Sunny_Bunny_ has posted about quite a bit is just adding too much extra fat and not giving the body a reason to tap into stores.

Take aways:
    1. Patience
    2. Patience
    3. "suggested macros" don't work for everyone. Play with them and find your sweet spot.

Finally please allow me to get on my "meat-head" soap box for a moment. 20 minutes of true HIIT is out of reach for most normal folks. The basic tabata HIIT protocol calls for 8 minutes of ALL OUT EFFORT in 20 second intervals. If you truly are all out for 20 minutes, you should probably back off a bit maybe to 1 HIIT session per week and 2-3 steady state sessions.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    This is a good source that compares a few experts recommended MINIMUM protein intake.
    It is important to remember that the number the calculators give you is the MINIMUM recommended intake to preserve lean mass.
    Higher protein intake in the first 3 weeks of going keto is important too since your brain has a higher demand for glucose than it will once fat adapted. No sense in sacrificing lean mass by eating minimal protein, especially in the beginning.
    http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/daily-protein-requirement.html

You notice that the guys that have the lowest minimum intake intake recommendations are all around 55-70g for a fairly small woman. Assuming 100 pounds lean mass or 150 pounds ideal body weight. Again, that's just the minimum to maintain muscle. Eating more is totally fine too and only helps with satiety.
    I prefer Phinney and Volek's method where a 5'4" woman would get anywhere from 71-141g a day.
    Sometimes I'm lower than that, but I definitely average in that range consistently and I have had major body composition changes without weight loss and without exercise eating this way for over a year.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Somewhere, @Sunny_Bunny_ has a chart that shows how dynamically macros percentages change as you're in different phases - weight loss, maintenance, and everything between...

This chart comes from Phinney and Volek and shows a basic idea of how dietary fat is the changing factor in creating your energy deficit.
    They show carbs going up as well but I think that's more an option than anything.

3thu1pji3q1f.jpg

But, when you start out, you don't want to eat unlimited fat. This sounds obvious but I see it all the time. People eating when they are not hungry because they think the high fat intake is what makes keto work. Literally force feeding themselves to the point of nausea and diarrhea. And barely eating 35g protein too! Many congrats were given for this "great day" and lots of questions on how to keep their protein so low as well.
    1un09ws7lvt7.png

Bottom line.
    Eat your minimum protein like it's your job and only add fat for taste and general satiety. The more bodyfat you have, the less dietary fat and total energy intake you need.
    You need to add lots of fat later on when you want body fat loss to slow down.
  • RoosterDJC
    Options
    I feel smarter after reading the last couple posts...
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    RoosterDJC wrote: »

That makes two of us @RoosterDJC
  • RoosterDJC
    Options

I meant last 3 posts...didn't mean to exclude you there :smiley:
  • XavierNusum
    Options

I meant last 3 posts...didn't mean to exclude you there :smiley:

Never crossed my mind brother! Just appreciated the "teachable moment" as you did! B)
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Ah, so much for sticking to the plan for the weekend. Someone lend me some will power!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    Ah, so much for sticking to the plan for the weekend. Someone lend me some will power!

@Fvaisey - Willpower is FINITE and will fail you. Make decisions, get determined, and don't allow any other option. Step back and start with 1 small thing.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Got some food prep done over the weekend and planning to hunker down and ride out this cold snap with minimal complaining as I can muster! Feeling good and looking forward to a successful week despite the weather and work challenges. Reminding myself to practice self care along with eating on plan.
  • Scochrane86
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Still going strong, but finding my calories are getting less and less and my weight loss has tapered off... wondering if I am getting too few calories. I don't feel hungry and only eat 1 meal and a snack but may need to increase the fats to try and get things moving again.
    Wednesday will be 1 full month of Keto and I am hoping to hit 20lbs (18lbs so far)
  • RoosterDJC
    Options
    I ate too good this weekend. Went out to dinner (got grilled fish and veggies) smoked a brisket, made keto cheesecake and didn't count calories Saturday or Sunday. Granted, I stayed true to all things keto, I am sure I was under 25 carbs both days. I just had more calories.

Today, the test strips are still showing a trace of keto, I haven't gained a thing (in fact, down a half pound) and still feel great.

Kind of feels like I am giving my body permission to lose weight and not worry about not getting enough food. No science in that whatsoever. I think I am going to incorporate a cheat day every weekend.

My first smoked brisket:
    83hsdfkivxsf.jpg
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Having trouble dealing with dating and keto breath. What are some carb numbers others have noticed where the breath remains normal. I generally eat carbs at 20g, but wondering if some date days I could go higher up to LC numbers and still lose weight and still be kissable. Lol.
    Pretty happy to be finally having this little problem, and would appreciate any insight or specific stories of success!!
    Thanks pals.
  • Scochrane86
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Having trouble dealing with dating and keto breath. What are some carb numbers others have noticed where the breath remains normal. I generally eat carbs at 20g, but wondering if some date days I could go higher up to LC numbers and still lose weight and still be kissable. Lol.
    Pretty happy to be finally having this little problem, and would appreciate any insight or specific stories of success!!
    Thanks pals.

how long into keto are you?
    I had the bad breath for about 3 weeks and now the last week I have been back to normal. I think once your body evens itself out it should get better.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    It tends to be related to protein, more often than anything. What are your protein days looking like??
  • RoosterDJC
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Thanks pals.

Find somebody who's doing a low-carb diet just like you, and you won't know whose mouth it's coming from :smile:
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Protein is low, but comes mostly from light cream and maybe one serving of a meat, fish or egg thing.
    I'm wondering if dairy could be the culprit...I have it every day with coffee. The other proteins are mixed up.