Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    RoosterDJC wrote: »
    I just read an article (wish I remember where it was) that said you shouldn't stay on a keto diet for more than 4 to 6 months at a time. It also said that after long periods of time your body can begin to store fat on a keto diet to compensate for the lack of carbohydrates. If I find that article again I'll point to it, but I'm sure many on here have been keto for much longer with great results.

I think these things are not necessarily connected.
    In general, you shouldn't really stay in a caloric deficit for longer than 3-6 months w/o spending 4 weeks at maintenance. This just gives the body a chance to slowly ramp metabolism back up.

In addition you can definitely GAIN fat on a keto diet just like any other with a caloric surplus OR adding in copious amounts of extra fats when it's not necessary for you goals.
  • Suzanne_Pmonkey
    Suzanne_Pmonkey Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I've posted on this thread yet, so I'll risk being repetitive. I'm Suzanne, been doing the keto thing for 3 weeks now and as of this morning, I've lost 14lbs. I'm loving it so far and I've even managed to stay on track these past few days in spite of my usual cravings creeping in. I've already lost around 40lbs over the past few years inconsistently doing low carb and using mfp. I have around 100 to go, and I'm really hopeful that this is the way to do it!
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    JodiSW wrote: »
    @Libellule23

Congrats on your loss. You must feel great! What are you limiting your total carbs to a day?

Thanks, I'm not feeling it yet really. I have 70kg in total to move so I hope to feel it a little soon.
    I'm trying to do 20 total carbs a day, if I go over I make sure my net in still under 20.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Suzanne! Congrats on your recent losses!
  • Marty19666
    Marty19666 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    lulusland wrote: »
    Hi Everyone.. I want to start on keto but I am not sure how. What I do need is more information on how things work to know what steps to take. Is there a book or website you recommend that can tell me more on what i should be eating and how much and etc?

Thanks

Www.reddit.com/r/keto
  • EatingWellToo
    EatingWellToo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks. I'm doing the two-week challenge on dietdoctor.com and have just finished Week 1. I lost 4.8 pounds during this first week (initial weight 145). I've also been tracking fat/protein/carbs using the My Fitness Pal food diary just to check where the calories are landing. I have not even been able to eat all the meals on the daily plans - just too much food! I'm small-framed and his meal plans are generic (doesn't matter if you start at 150 pounds or 250 pounds) so I think that's OK. Yesterday I ended at 1500 cals and was totally full. Also feeling pretty energetic. I can't recommend dietdoctor.com enough - so far, this has been so much easier than the usual grind. The recipes are pretty easy, too. I bought the keto sticks at CVS (they are with the diabetic stuff to check blood insulin) and have been in ketosis all week (supposedly - assuming these things work). Daily total carbs around 20-35 g.
  • RoosterDJC
    RoosterDJC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks. I'm doing the two-week challenge on dietdoctor.com and have just finished Week 1. I lost 4.8 pounds during this first week (initial weight 145). I've also been tracking fat/protein/carbs using the My Fitness Pal food diary just to check where the calories are landing. I have not even been able to eat all the meals on the daily plans - just too much food! I'm small-framed and his meal plans are generic (doesn't matter if you start at 150 pounds or 250 pounds) so I think that's OK. Yesterday I ended at 1500 cals and was totally full. Also feeling pretty energetic. I can't recommend dietdoctor.com enough - so far, this has been so much easier than the usual grind. The recipes are pretty easy, too. I bought the keto sticks at CVS (they are with the diabetic stuff to check blood insulin) and have been in ketosis all week (supposedly - assuming these things work). Daily total carbs around 20-35 g.

Congratulations! Diet doctor is an interesting site. I can't tell if I like or hate his accent. Have you been doing any type of workputs?
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    K.I.S.S food prep done to help ensure another week on plan. Having food ready is such a benefit for me while eliminating so much stress and last minute (bad) choices. It also facilitates pre-logging my day which is also a huge benefit! Not as big of a loss as expected last week, but I also incorporated some AF for the first time. It may have contributed to a lack of progress but I am not overly concerned as sweets are not my normal go to. Have a great week everyone! @Scochrane86 good job!! Progress photos an excellent idea!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Great job to the both of you @Scochrane86 and @kimberwolf71 .....I found I was much more successful when I made my make ahead meals and pre logged....so much better for me mentally too...it eliminated the shock of " it had that many carbs ?- to just the added stress of what's for dinner syndrome.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Great job to the both of you @Scochrane86 and @kimberwolf71 .....I found I was much more successful when I made my make ahead meals and pre logged....so much better for me mentally too...it eliminated the shock of " it had that many carbs ?- to just the added stress of what's for dinner syndrome.

Thank you! I also find that pre-logging my food, even just the morning of, for the rest of the day really helps me too!
  • Scochrane86
    Options
    Have a great week everyone! @Scochrane86 good job!! Progress photos an excellent idea!

Thank you! and you as well!
  • tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I indulged in too much sugar free candy on Monday, went over my calories and I paid for it. In more ways than one! The scale went up and is gradually is coming back down, but I was at my lowest Monday morning. So that is really discouraging! Now I know to steer clear of the sf candy, because I have no self control!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    What a roller coaster I'm on. Some hopefully awesome things going on lately and my comfort food cravings are over the top. I'm rolling with it as best I can, not really hitting the keto markers that I like, but holding on to at least low carbish eating.
    All worth it, I think, even if it doesn't work out the way I want...this is where the living gets good. NSV: I am so happy, at least for this moment, and also feeling like a scared cat...but I'm going for the brass ring for now. Wish me luck, pals!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @elize7 Sending you all my best thoughts on your new...adventure! <3
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! Very happy with my week and my commitment to stay on plan. Also practicing self care strategies as much as possible. Down 1.8 lbs, I'll take it!! We don't have any big plans for the weekend, my mind is wandering towards food prep. Not sure what next week's menu will be but I'm smelling the deliciousness of my DD's toast right now and thinking it's past time to try soul bread.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    @elize7 Go get that brass ring, girl !! " Growth happens at the edge of your comfort zone "

@kimberwolf71 Congrats on the 1.8!!

@tjames30. Sf candy does that to me too....at least now you know, and can move on!
  • Scochrane86
    Options
    Doing well, still sticking to my macros and have been experimenting more with my meals (making Keto friendly meals that the whole family will eat) and I even brought hubby on board and he has lost 7.5lbs in 3 days! He thinks it is a contest now and I can't say im not excited about kicking his butt lol
    My weightloss has definitely slowed down now (third week keto) but the difference in inches and in photos I am seeing is keeping me with it. I am down 14lbs from Jan 9 - Jan 27.
    I do need to stop stepping on my scale though.... its starting to depress me a little when I don't see a change.
  • Suzanne_Pmonkey
    Suzanne_Pmonkey Posts: 387 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I spoke too soon about keeping cravings at bay. I decided to be a couch potato on Sunday and one handful of chocolate chips turned into a sugar bender. The good news is that I was able to jump right back on plan the next day. The bad news is that I gained 5 lbs overnight and 5 days later I haven't lost any of it. I also tested my blood sugar that night and it was above 200, a number I've never seen before. I'm not diabetic or technically prediabetic, but I keep inching closer to that line and I'm high risk. So I've been testing my blood sugar often to figure out an optimal way for me to keep it low. My sugars are still elevated above the level they were at after 2 weeks of keto, but they are still ok. I'm just going to kcko, as they say!

Oh, and I had my first keto dream last night! The dream was at Red Robin with a group of people and I ordered a bunless burger and broccoli. I'll take it as a good sign, because when I dream about food it's usually because I'm restricting and I end up dreaming about eating cake or something.