Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    As @RoosterDJC indicated, there can be other issues at play, too. Most common is magnesium. Due to soil depletion, pesticides, GMO's and all kinds of other factors, our foods are massively depleted of natural magnesium. Folks generally need to supplement unless eating all organic and grass fed foods...
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    RoosterDJC wrote: »
    Well that's amazing! Are you taking any multivitamins? I was feeling headaches too, but not since I added the multi. Congrats!

I have not started anything yet, but I have ordered potassium and magnesium and I have a multivitamin at home that I will start taking as well.
    I have 2 small children and work full time, I cannot be down because of nasty headaches!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Well that's amazing! Are you taking any multivitamins? I was feeling headaches too, but not since I added the multi. Congrats!

I have not started anything yet, but I have ordered potassium and magnesium and I have a multivitamin at home that I will start taking as well.
    I have 2 small children and work full time, I cannot be down because of nasty headaches!

@Scochrane86 - Get some extra sodium...I promise it will help until you get your shipment of vitamins in!
  • RoosterDJC
    RoosterDJC Posts: 93 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I did too much research on which multi to get. Decided whole food (not the store) instead of a synthetic multi was best. The jury is out on if I can keep up the twice a day regimen but it seems to have done the trick. I went with Garden of Life Vitamin Code because I heard all good things. @KnitOrMiss I would like to hear your take on multivitamins.

I have two young teenagers myself, I can sympathize!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I did too much research on which multi to get. Decided whole food (not the store) instead of a synthetic multi was best. The jury is out on if I can keep up the twice a day regimen but it seems to have done the trick. I went with Garden of Life Vitamin Code because I heard all good things. @KnitOrMiss I would like to hear your take on multivitamins.

I have two young teenagers myself, I can sympathize!

@RoosterDJC - Honestly, that could become an entire novel for me at this point... I've played around. I've heard good things about Garden of Life. There are some of those sites that tell you about ratings and all that jazz... I can maybe dig up links, but @RalfLott is usually better at that than I am.

Personally, I don't take a multi - because so many vitamins compete for absorption or interfere. I've done kind of a deconstructed version, but there are certain things that need to be taken 12 hours apart - or only have a 12 hour half-life and are best taken twice a day... So the best formulas will either have an AM and PM - or suggestion you take them twice. Individually packaged powders that mix with water in an AM and PM formula are supposed to be the optimum thing... Shelf stable, don't oxidize, aren't exposed each time you open a container, no additives, etc.

That being said, I don't have the money for most of those type systems. What I do is pretty involved...but main things are:
    • Magnesium should be twice a day...might need to be different forms, as some make folks sleepy, some don't. It's used in like 600 bodily processes.
    • D3 should ALWAYS be paired with K2, and only taking during the AM/midday hours. At night, this will prevent sleep. MUST be taken with fats to absorb.
    • Vitamin A & E balance D, and should be taken 12 hours offset or at night. The prevent toxicity and such. Again, require fats to absorb.
    • Calcium is generally not needed - but without the K2 with D3 to aid absorption and routing, these will clutter your arteries... Magnesium, potassium, boron, zinc, are all required for transport and absorption and securing resources. But IF calcium is taken, it needs to be taken at night, on an empty stomach if possible.
    • Boron, zinc (balanced with copper for some/most folks - assays can tell if you need this), and K2 are the nutrients that most people don't know they need - but are critical in so many things.
    • B-12 supplements help many folks - but should always be paired with a B-Complex, B-Super Complex, or B-Ultra Complex. Taking B-12 alone will eventually deplete all your other B Vitamins, which leads to nerve damage and a whole lot of other mess.
    • Potassium is needed by some folks - but is bad for others. Don't mess with this without testing is generally my advice.
    • Vitamins are not necessarily necessary unless you've been tested for deficiencies, but I can't afford organic and grass fed foods. So it's easier for me to supplement currently.
    • Without enough stomach acid, you may have difficulties absorbing nutrients, period.

That's the top of my head list. I'll add more as I think on it... Please let me know if specific questions.

And please remember. This is all based on personal experimentation and research. I am not a medical professional, and none of this is intended as medical advice. It is information upon which to jump start you own research to figure out what is best for you! No two people anywhere are exactly the same!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Anyone have any numbers on minimum carb grams to eat which will keep keto breath at bay...
    New social developments indicate it might be good for me to have nicer breath, but I typically shoot for 20 carb grams per day and live with the breath.
    Any info on the subject would be appreciated...does increasing vegetables help, cutting all dairy?..I just don't know whats the best thing and still want to be pretty strict keto.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Generally, I hear about cutting back protein to help with that, but no, the carb threshold is very individual. My worry would be that if you cut out keto breath, you'd also cut out KETO itself... Good luck, @elize7
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that it's very temporary.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I did not know that D3 might disrupt sleep... seems counter intuitive to other things I am trying to do, so will switch a few things up with my supplements, thank you! I have actually managed an average of 5 hours 12 minutes this week... amazing improvement! Keto-wise, I'm pretty happy with this week also. Focusing on finishing the week strong and making my plan for food prep etc. over the weekend to set myself up for another week of success! Happy Friday everyone.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @kimberwolf71 - D3 is called the sunshine vitamin for a reason. It's what kicks off our natural circadian rhythms...and boosts them for the natural taper to nighttime stuff... It's why we aren't supposed to use electronics and tvs too late at night, as it is artificial, and we don't rise and sleep with the sun anymore as a whole society....
  • msbluechallenge
    msbluechallenge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I feel like crap I get the clear Propel water that has the sodium, magnesium, & potassium. Then I take 500mg of magnesium at bedtime. I will say the Propel water ensures I get out of my feeling like crap mode. I also use Brags Apple Cider Vinegar helps with hunger.
  • RoosterDJC
    Options
    Does anyone use keto sticks? What should I be looking for? I'm showing somewhere between a trace and small.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Does anyone use keto sticks? What should I be looking for? I'm showing somewhere between a trace and small.

In the research I've read and opinions I've heard don't give much credence of them use quantitatively. Most that use them, don't look for a specific value, but use more for yes/no answers.

This articles talks a bit about them, but really digs into why they may mislead you.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/2017/01/15/how-optimize-your-diet-for-your-insulin-resistance/

ETA: That being said, I may get some just to get a yay/nay answer because I like to have metrics and feedback for what I'm doing. It just helps me stay dedicated to a process.
  • RoosterDJC
    Options
    That's a lot of reading...thanks for the link!
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    @RoosterDJC Just remember that the sticks are more beneficial at the beginning of your keto journey because your body has not figured out how to use the all those ketones so they will spill into your urine, after you are fat adapted ( this is different than Ketosis ) you may only see a trace amount on the stick because your body is now using those ketones for fuel!
  • RoosterDJC
    Options
    All good info, thanks. I'm still curious if anyone besides me is actually using them? From other articles I am reading, the sticks can vary from just the amount of water you drink per day. Xavier, I'm curious to know what its like when you get yours. Thanks!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I use ketostix mostly in the beginning just to confirm that I truly am feeling the effects of keto. I rarely test over a trace. I am, and always have been, an avid water drinker. A friend of mine always tests dark purple and uses the stix all the time. I'll have to ask if she stays well hydrated and when she tests.... I never thought of that before!