Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Groups Weekly Weigh In Group
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Introduce Yourself & Frequently Asked Questions

tinkerbellang83tinkerbellang83 Member, Premium Posts: 8,843 Member Member, Premium Posts: 8,843 Member
This thread is for Introducing Yourself & Asking Questions if you're not sure how this works.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q What do the abbreviations people are using in the weight loss threads mean?
A SW: Start Weight; GW: Goal Weight; LW: Last Week; TW: This Week; OL: Overall Loss

Q Do I have to weigh in every week?
A No you don't - I keep the information in a spreadsheet, so if you're away or you fall off the wagon for a little while your details will still be there, they just won't be used in the stats if you've not weighed in with us during the current month.

Q Do I have to post all the information that everyone else does?
A No you can just post your current weight if that's what you are comfortable with, the other figures are just more helpful for the progress stats.

Q When is the best time to weigh?
A It is more consistent if you weight first thing in the morning, before you've eaten and after you've used the bathroom. Day of the week is your own preference. If like myself, you like to indulge a little on the weekend, it's probably better to weigh in Weds-Fri sometime so that you get a better sense of what you weigh once any water retention has passed.
edited June 2017

Replies

• kristenwilburnkristenwilburn Member Posts: 7 Member Member Posts: 7 Member
    Hello, My name is Kristen, I've slowly gained 20lbs over the past 3 years from decreased activity and poor food choices. I've started back running for 6 weeks but need to get diet under control. My goal is 1-2 lbs a week. I'm hoping to lose 8lbs by my birthday. I think this group will help keep me accountable.
  • tinkerbellang83tinkerbellang83 Member, Premium Posts: 8,843 Member Member, Premium Posts: 8,843 Member
    Hello, My name is Kristen, I've slowly gained 20lbs over the past 3 years from decreased activity and poor food choices. I've started back running for 6 weeks but need to get diet under control. My goal is 1-2 lbs a week. I'm hoping to lose 8lbs by my birthday. I think this group will help keep me accountable.

Hey Kristen, thanks for posting and good luck with your goals ☺
  • heathercormanheathercorman Member Posts: 7 Member Member Posts: 7 Member
    Hi, my name is Heather. I have to lose 87 lbs. I used to go to Weight Watchers and really loved the weekly meetings.
    I am so happy to join this group and have a weekly weigh-in and someone to talk to.
    I just joined the YMCA, it's just 5 minutes from where I live. I plan to swim 3 x weekly and walk the indoor track at least 5 x weekly.
  • provence9provence9 Member Posts: 118 Member Member Posts: 118 Member
    Hi, My name is Barb. I would like to lose at least 40 pounds. Ideally 60. I have gained a lot in the last few years due to job stress. I am looking forward to sharing this journey with others.
  • YukiAnuYukiAnu Member Posts: 11 Member Member Posts: 11 Member
    Hi, my name is Allison. I would really love to lose these last 40 pounds (at least) at a rate of at least 1-2 per week. As a non scale goal I'd love to run a marathon by late April to make it this year, but since that's pretty soon and I'm still struggling to go more than 10k at pace my ultimate goal is to make it by next years race.
  • tinkerbellang83tinkerbellang83 Member, Premium Posts: 8,843 Member Member, Premium Posts: 8,843 Member
    Come on Week 7 - I am feeling very positive! I have seen a lot of posts about people struggling with weekends - boredom eating, being busier or having to eat out.

How do you all get on?
  • JoyK76JoyK76 Member Posts: 27 Member Member Posts: 27 Member
    Hello. My name is Joy. Live in Houston, Texas. I have 60 lbs to lose. My weight over the last 4-5 years has been fluctuating between 180s up through 215. My goal weight is 150. This is the weight that I look and feel the best (and most healthy) and a weight that I have found is a bit more manageable for me. This year I made a decision to get back on track with logging my food and becoming more active as I have lived a sedentary lifestyle way too long. I look forward to seeing everyone's progress.
  • skmaynard34skmaynard34 Member Posts: 8 Member Member Posts: 8 Member
    Hi, excited to join your group. My name is Stephanie, I'm a 40 year old mother of 2, live in Michigan & currently weigh 164.2 pounds but have a goal weight of 150. This is my 2nd week on MFP and, so far I've lost 3.8 pounds.

This will be a great motivator for me to know that I have to step on the scale every Friday and share my progress with a group.

Hope everyone has a a great week!
  • linda212121linda212121 Member Posts: 148 Member Member Posts: 148 Member
    Hi I'm Lynn . Here to lose 30 pounds but mostly I need to exercise but with metal in my knee it's hard to do somethings . I also need to keep up on my eating habits as my boyfriend can eat everything and never gain and I fall when he orders take out . My big thing is when I'm feeling sad I will stress eat so I'm watching that . Wish the Y wasn't so far to get to so I must workout mostly at home . Any tips would help .
    Thank you all
  • bigzz08bigzz08 Member Posts: 42 Member Member Posts: 42 Member
    Hi everyone am bigz I have about 40-50lbs to lose now I have been struggling with my weight all my life weighing at my heaviest 315lbs over the last couple of years I have dieted on and off and managed to drop down to 200lbs ideally I would like to get to about 160lbs. Glad to join the group for weekly weighing and support
  • ShellanfitShellanfit Member Posts: 384 Member Member Posts: 384 Member
    Hi Everyone I have put on 10 pounds since the summer. My goal is to loose 15-20lbs.
    edited January 2017
  • UltimateTrashBaeUltimateTrashBae Member Posts: 181 Member Member Posts: 181 Member
    Hello! When I was pregnant in 2013, I managed to pack on like, 60 pounds. I never really managed to get all the weight off. I've been on and off MFP for that entire time. Since I started, I managed to go from 180 (at the very start) to 155-ish. My goal is to get to at least 135 and see how I feel around there. Maybe drop to 125 but no lower than that. After I shed the fat, I wanna get beefy.
  • sharonshambosharonshambo Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
    Hi I have been wanting to lose weight for a long time, but keep putting it off til next week. 5 years later I am ready. Especially after turning 50 and fell like my body is going down hill. Need accountability and help. Looking foward feeling better.
  • _Crackers__Crackers_ Member Posts: 14 Member Member Posts: 14 Member
    Hey I'm Brent, I have lost 42kgs so far and need to lose another 35ish. I don't have a set weight loss target just yet, and am just going off what BMI range I should be in for now.

I have been dropping 1 to 2kgs a week since I have started. I walk for an hour a day at an average pace and will be looking at introducing a weights program in the near future to get rid of my bingo arms that are starting to form.
    edited January 2017
  • perryvashtiperryvashti Member Posts: 10 Member Member Posts: 10 Member
    Hello everyone! My name is Vashti aka Queen. I am 27 years old. My goal is to reach my goal weight of 137 - 140 lbs. by January of 2018. I currently weigh 242.8 lbs.

I have always been on the larger scale from a young age but after high school I began putting on weight in fat without really noticing. When I reached the age 23 it really hit me that my poor eating habbits, poor stress managment, and lack of exercise were the culprits of my weight gain. Unfortunatley I havent been serious about losing weight until now.

I hope that being apart of this group will help me to stay motivated. I am looking to offer support and ecouragment and I am looking for the same.
    Welcome to all our new members this week, good luck with your first weigh-in's
  • rkit03rkit03 Member Posts: 294 Member Member Posts: 294 Member
    Hi, I'm Rose. This is my 3rd try with using MFP. I failed the other times. I'm going to try harder this time to do this! I've been obese for the last 20 years and need to change this so that I am fit and healthy. I want to be able to run up a flight of stairs and not have to breathe hard.

I hope I will have more accountability if I log my weight each week in this group.

Good luck, everyone! :-)
  • murphylosesmurphyloses Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
    Hi guys! So glad I found this group since my weigh in days were Friday anyway. So good to see a group with the same day.

I'm Murphy, i'm 21 years old and i'm trying to lose around 60 lbs and gain a healthier lifestyle. My whole life I was overweight and my highest weight used to be around 250 and that was fresh out of high school. I really don't like exercise, so to start i'm walking/jogging 3 times a week with C25K.

I wish everyone the best on their journeys and let's keep the motivation on high! :)
  • Belmont61Belmont61 Member Posts: 67 Member Member Posts: 67 Member
    Hi everyone, my name is Deirdre and I'm hoping just loose some weight! Back to a healthy me .... I'm hoping by joining this group I'll stay motivated this time and succeed