Sarah's OMAD Journal

Options

Replies

• minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I will have to look up and see how to do the moving average and extrapolation in Excel. I love making the spreadsheets but have to learn more how to work with the data.

Moving averages - you just take the last x measurements and divide by x.

So
    =SUM(J32:J38)/7

for a 7 day moving average (average of the last 7 days weights). Copy that formula down and you get the next average etc etc. You can choose how many days to include.

I'm sure there are ways to do it automatically in Excel these days too...

I think there is a trend function for extrapolation.

My formula (this is the one for predicting what my weight will be on any day in the future if I carry on losing at the rate I'm losing now) is crazy
    (=IF(N38<>"",IF(G38="",IF(N38+(K39/7)>=130,N38+(K39/7),""),IF(G38+(K39/7)>=130,G38+(K39/7),"")),""))

but that's because I'm checking to see if values are blank and then using other values and I want to stop if it goes under 130 lbs (hahahahahaha - in my dreams...) etc. etc.

Gotta love Excel!! :)
  • minigrrll
    Options
    Yay!

Back down to Sunday's weight - hopefully it sticks around this time.

rhh18iksmshk.png
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Awesome, way to go, Sarah!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »
    I will have to look up and see how to do the moving average and extrapolation in Excel. I love making the spreadsheets but have to learn more how to work with the data.

Moving averages - you just take the last x measurements and divide by x.

So
    =SUM(J32:J38)/7

for a 7 day moving average (average of the last 7 days weights). Copy that formula down and you get the next average etc etc. You can choose how many days to include.

I'm sure there are ways to do it automatically in Excel these days too...

I think there is a trend function for extrapolation.

My formula (this is the one for predicting what my weight will be on any day in the future if I carry on losing at the rate I'm losing now) is crazy
    (=IF(N38<>"",IF(G38="",IF(N38+(K39/7)>=130,N38+(K39/7),""),IF(G38+(K39/7)>=130,G38+(K39/7),"")),""))

but that's because I'm checking to see if values are blank and then using other values and I want to stop if it goes under 130 lbs (hahahahahaha - in my dreams...) etc. etc.

Gotta love Excel!! :)

Can do a central point moving average ()instead of a backwards moving average) also with no lag in the filtered data but then the last data points wont have info to average in since that hasn't happened yet and filtered data past the central point will be more noisy.
  • minigrrll
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Just keeping it simple with the last 7 days... I actually don't mind the lag because then when I do have a little gain, as long as it's under the trend line, I'm happy!
  • minigrrll
    Options
    And of course that low weight didn't stick around as I am quite possibly the slowest loser EVA! Anyway, Trendweight took a few days off my goal date (was May 3rd yesterday and now is April 26th), so I'll take that as a win! :)

I did eat a massive amount of roast veggies yesterday and I put a fair amount of seasoning salt on them, so I'm laying the blame on the salt. Looking for a drop tomorrow (my "official" weigh day) though.

7txlucv7i4rn.png
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    Oh, nice that it upped your goal day! I've got Hapoy Weight app installed on my phone now. I like it so far :)
  • minigrrll
    Options
    Just a quick stop to update my weight (official weigh-in day today). Work is outta control!

Trendweight is even more happy with me today... :)

ok8b2mw43ms5.png

And my chart - it sure would be nice to see 10 pounds lost...

s9vcbkzyyvnn.png

• wsandy8512
    Options
    Nice loss!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Awesome and next week you'll be in the 80's :)
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    You are doing great!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Nice steady loss. Extrapolate a year and see where your at!
  • minigrrll
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Nice steady loss. Extrapolate a year and see where your at!

I have extrapolations for current rate of loss (stops at Feb 22 as that would put me at 130 - which I have never weighed in my entire adult life), 1lbs per week (about 137 this time next year), 1.5 per week (stops at March 6 at 130) and 2 per week (stops at Jan 26 at 130). So we shall see!!

My goal is 154 btw, but I might go into the 140s when I get there. Last time I was in the 140s, I felt too thin, but I also had much more muscle than I have now, so it might be ok.

• minigrrll
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I had a weird weekend. I gained a massive amount over the weekend, but then dropped it all and hit a new low today! Like Brenda predicted, I dropped into the 180s - just... and I'm not really counting it until my trend gets there, but it is nice to see finally!!
  • minigrrll
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I changed the setting on Trendweight to be in pounds because I wanted to see that 189!!

rz0f4a9uvkan.png
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    Awesome, awesome, awesome! I know you are tickled! I find it a bit extra exciting because you and I are not too far in weight, and our goals are similar, too. I root for everyone, just seems cool to be going through these stages in particular, together. :)
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    good progress, do you count calories, as in weighing your food, or just wing it with one meal a day. eyeballing portions?
  • minigrrll
    Options
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    Awesome, awesome, awesome! I know you are tickled! I find it a bit extra exciting because you and I are not too far in weight, and our goals are similar, too. I root for everyone, just seems cool to be going through these stages in particular, together. :)

Absolutely!!
  • minigrrll
    Options
    x3nomorph wrote: »
    good progress, do you count calories, as in weighing your food, or just wing it with one meal a day. eyeballing portions?

I do both - depends how motivated I am to use mfp for logging! I generally do log on weekdays and then am more lax on the weekend - both with logging and with how long my eating (drinking) window is. I pretty much stick to a strict one meal (not necessarily one plate though - I won't finish a meal feeling hungry), an hour or less on the weekdays and then stretch that out to a few hours on the weekend to include some alcohol.

If the weekends start slowing me down significantly though, I'll rethink that.

I find that the weekend slackness helps with my state of mind though - I'm don't do well with feeling deprived and having been on so many diets in my life it has become old! I'd rather lose slowly while feeling satisfied and "normal" than crash and burn losing quickly and never feeling full.
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    got it, I loled at "drinking window" , eventually you d probably will have to bring some structure to the weekends but ride it as long as you can haha