Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Get your run done, @Elise4270 , I promise you won't regret it!

In spite of my late night gluttony, the scale was down a tick this morning, and in spite of an early morning headache I still managed to get out for my run.

That run earned me 800 more calories for the day!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks @7lenny7 ! I didn’t regret it. I ate your 800 calorie surplus though. 🥺
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was on track until I a) skipped my run and b) ordered in for dinner. I have no idea how to log the falafel wrap I had. It was amazing, though. I think I was probably around maintenance for the day, maybe slightly over. Weight was up a tad today but that makes sense - salt.

I got my run in today. Garmin gave me 500 calories for the run and then took away 400 for sitting on my butt the rest of the day. Not sure what supper will be. I kind of want to order from the vegan take out place we discovered last weekend.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I did not log today. I may try to guess but my post race meal and cheesecake won't be in the database. CHICKEN AND DONUTS! OMG
  • sarahthes
    Options
    Turns out we are having eggs. All I can smell is garlic LOL...
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Hey, looks like a trend. Let's hope I can build on this momentum.
    rwk1ab33ihfm.png
  • sarahthes
    Options
    Breakfast was yogurt, bran cereal and a pear. I also meant to have a protein shake so I put one in the freezer because they're vile at room temp... and I forgot to take it out. Hopefully it doesn't explode. I can't imagine they taste good afternoon having been frozen though. May toss it. May experiment.

Lunch is beans & rice plus veggies, salsa and cheese.

Dinner is who knows? Maybe we will try the vegetarian "meatballs" I bought the other day. With pasta?
  • sarahthes
    Options
    Afternoon? WTF autocorrect? And why is the edit button not working? My fingers aren't THAT fat...
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - what app is that and how does it get the data? Congrats on the trend!!
  • 7lenny7
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @shanaber The app is from Sharper Image and it goes along with the bluetooth scale my wife gave me for Christmas. I wasn't too excited about it at first because really, who needs a bluetooth scale, but it turns out I like it quite a bit. I open the app, step on the scale, and bam...all the date is sent to my phone.

You can set up to 10 profiles with age, gender and height. I created two. One for my daily morning weigh in, and one for miscellaneous weigh-ins, such as before and after a long run to see how much weight I lose. In the screen above, I can tap any of the values on the bottom legend to see those trends. I'm not sure how accurate it all is, but I'm satisfied the weight portion is accurate. I can step on it several times and I always see the same number. I had a Costco scale one time and the weight on it would swing +/- five pounds!! There are electrodes on the scale, and so I guess it's plausible all of the other values are reasonably correct. I just wish there was an easy way to merge this data with all the data I have in Garmin.

The app is not required to use the scale, but it is if you want to get the other data, and of course to automate the data collection. I do recall, though, that the scale initially measured in kg and the app was needed to change to pounds.

https://www.amazon.com/Bathroom-Bluetooth-Compatible-Bodyweight-Profiles/dp/B07BYFQZ2X

It was cheaper at Target but it's not longer in stock there.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Thanks @7lenny7! I have an old scale (not bluetooth) that gives visceral fat, body fat and muscle percentage. They aren't accurate to the scan at the nutritionist but do give me an idea of the direction things are moving. It can also fluctuate greatly just stepping on and off and back on and there is a difference in weight if the 'scan' function is turned on.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    My fitbit scale sends the info to fitbit and MFP. It's nice. (I bought it when I thought I was going to be a fitbit person)
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    My wife had the day off but I had to work. I came home to pan fried scallops with a shallot garlic butter sauce, homemade risotto, fresh green beans and wine. So, so good!

I didn't bother logging any of it, but I bet I'm not too far over.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I have the Garmin scale. It syncs to garmin and mfp them i enter it in to a trend app that does the "1/y-4 thingie".. Moving projection calculation. Libra if anyone is needing a weight trend/projection app.

Dh cooked grass fed ribeye, purple sweet tater, bought kombucha and halo ice cream. Oh and he bought me a scented candle... Something is up. I pigged out.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I wish I had bought a Garmin scale. I didn't know they had those too!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    The garmin scale is nice, but does produce typical "junk" numbers when it come to BF and such. They dont jive with the DXA. But thats fine, a trend is a trend.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I would guess it's pretty much the same as my Fitbit.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    The only scale I've ever had (and I still have it) that matches DEXA on body fat % was made by Omron. All others are 5%-7% less than DEXA and my Omron scale. If only all those other lying scales were accurate... I would look really good too.

Interestingly enough, the Omron handheld body fat measurement tools do not normally match my scale either. They have always been much lower except 1 time.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    They say you lose weight at the table and not in the gym, but I tell you what...it's a hell of a lot easier to control your diet when you exercise and can eat more. There are two inputs to the equation...how much you eat and how much you burn. Lower the first, raise the second, or both, and you'll lose weight. Either way works just as effectively as the other.

Now that I'm running again, I'm finding it much easier to hit my targets since I can eat more and still have a deficit. I'm down 5 pounds since my first run last Monday. I even had a small drop this morning in spite of pigging out last night. My motivation is renewed. My goal is to lose 12 pounds in the next 12 weeks. I'm going to post my progress here every Monday, similar to what we do in the distance thread.

Starting weight: 216
    Goal weight 204
    Goal Date: April 15th

• sarahthes
    Options
    Work needs to stop having potlucks.