Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @elise4270 - they give a link to make your own Garam Masala so if you can identify which ingredients causes an issue you could try leaving out just that one? I didn't see soy listed but I know lots of things have soy that aren't obvious. It really does look yummy.
    You are absolutely right about distracting yourself from dwelling. I need to do more of that too.
    I love the flying with birds! If I believed in reincarnation I would want to come back as a hawk or maybe an owl. I love to watch them soar. I had a biology/zoology class where we learned about the 'digits' in their wings that are like our fingers only better because they control their flight without moving their wings.

@RunsOnEspresso - We haven't tried any of those services ourselves but I wish it had been around when our daughter was little and we were all so busy.

ETA - I found an IP recipe for split soup with the ham bone. Has anyone fried putting the ham bone in their IP and does it work ok? I don't know why but I have this vague worry that the bone might explode under pressure...

You can definitely use ham bone in the IP.

I've made several batches of ham and split pea soup!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    We picked up one from the all mighty Walmart store. It’s fine. I’ll have to revisit this butter chicken recipe. I looked at it and it seemed to call for garam Marsala and soy, two ingredients i can’t have. DD requested the beef curry that i haven’t made in a year. Eh, maybe.. I made coconut rice and chicken in the ip last night. I went to bed and left it to dh to put away. So at least I have something planned for lunch. Yay planning!

@Elise4270 There's no soy in the recipe but there is garam masala. Since garam masala is a combination of spices, perhaps you could make your own and leave out the spice that you can't have? Here's a garam masala recipe from the same site.

https://twosleevers.com/home-made-garam-masala-recipe/

I'm going to try this the next time I make it. We have a jar of grocery store stuff, but it's old and crappy.

You do give me an idea though...I need to try the same butter chicken recipe but with a hot curry seasoning.

Eta @shanaber i don't know about the bone. But if its cut, it shouldn't be an issue. Or if it does, uh... Let us know ;)

I'm convinced theres some multifacet of our spirit that reincarnates. I have that fat cat and I catch myself calling her the name of a past cat, they seem to have the same spirit. Same disposition. The baby cat, may or may not be one of my most favorite cats that was exceptionally smart, as she is. Dh thinks we have something evil in the house because it shouldn't be that smart. Haha!

*Please will the Jones office to call me today. I hate limbo*
    Ok I will be the test case and let you know... eta - saw @7lenny7's response after I posted this, guess he was already the test case and I don't need to worry!

Can you call the Jones office and ask what's going on?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    We picked up one from the all mighty Walmart store. It’s fine. I’ll have to revisit this butter chicken recipe. I looked at it and it seemed to call for garam Marsala and soy, two ingredients i can’t have. DD requested the beef curry that i haven’t made in a year. Eh, maybe.. I made coconut rice and chicken in the ip last night. I went to bed and left it to dh to put away. So at least I have something planned for lunch. Yay planning!

@Elise4270 There's no soy in the recipe but there is garam masala. Since garam masala is a combination of spices, perhaps you could make your own and leave out the spice that you can't have? Here's a garam masala recipe from the same site.

https://twosleevers.com/home-made-garam-masala-recipe/

I'm going to try this the next time I make it. We have a jar of grocery store stuff, but it's old and crappy.

You do give me an idea though...I need to try the same butter chicken recipe but with a hot curry seasoning.

Eta @shanaber i don't know about the bone. But if its cut, it shouldn't be an issue. Or if it does, uh... Let us know ;)

I'm convinced theres some multifacet of our spirit that reincarnates. I have that fat cat and I catch myself calling her the name of a past cat, they seem to have the same spirit. Same disposition. The baby cat, may or may not be one of my most favorite cats that was exceptionally smart, as she is. Dh thinks we have something evil in the house because it shouldn't be that smart. Haha!

*Please will the Jones office to call me today. I hate limbo*
    Ok I will be the test case and let you know... eta - saw @7lenny7's response after I posted this, guess he was already the test case and I don't need to worry!

Can you call the Jones office
    and ask what's going on?

Yes. If i only knew which Dr Jones it was.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Yes. If i only knew which Dr Jones it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qQurWUCnzs

• Elise4270
    Options
    I ate stupid yesterday. I thought some Ben and Jerry’s wouldn’t hurt. I knew it had chocolate, sometimes I can get away with a bit. It also had soy in it. I swear I’m getting more and more sensitive to soy, chocolate and msg. I wonder if it could be a bit of stress, and/or hormones too. I suppose I may see my pcp and see if he can help or maybe adjust my med. I’ve had this dumb headache since Friday, although yesterday it was waning. I just invited it back wit the ice cream.

I’m open to advice.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @elise4270 - I had a friend at work who was extremely allergic to soy. It was an eye opener for me to learn all the things that soy is added to in various forms. Even things you don't think of as being overly processed or having additives like nuts or veggies at a restaurant and pretty much every sauce or burger in a restaurant. I hope you can get some help with it!

I am down another pound (yay!) but still haven't heard back from my PCP. I got a letter with the test results so I am assuming she is not going to call to discuss. I will call her office in the morning and request she call me. She also didn't tell me when she wants me back. She was pretty flustered and having a terrible day so I really don't blame her.

I ate well yesterday but anticipated have cheese and crackers and snacks in the afternoon when BIL and SIL came over for dinner so I didn't eat lunch. They didn't want anything and I wasn't going to have it by myself so didn't. We had a good dinner with smoked ribs and a huge salad. They brought chocolate mousse cake that I had a sliver of... it was good but very rich.
    Today all I have wanted is carbs... but dinner is BBQ stuffed chicken breasts (stuffed with parmesan and spinach) with a big salad.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber yay! On the loss of a pound!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Weight is up 1 lb this week but I think most of it is water retention. Period is due at the end of the week so I might be up for a few days before it goes back down.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Just truckin' along here. My long run on Saturday, which was mostly a 10 mile hike post holing, earned me 1200 calories which turned into fettucine alfredo with breaded chicken for dinner.

Slow and steady weekly losses of around .5 to 1lb a week which is what I'm aiming for.

I've been nailing my workouts and even tried the spin bike at the gym on Sunday with success (except OUCH a little this week).
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    They say you lose weight at the table and not in the gym, but I tell you what...it's a hell of a lot easier to control your diet when you exercise and can eat more. There are two inputs to the equation...how much you eat and how much you burn. Lower the first, raise the second, or both, and you'll lose weight. Either way works just as effectively as the other.

Now that I'm running again, I'm finding it much easier to hit my targets since I can eat more and still have a deficit. I'm down 5 pounds since my first run last Monday. I even had a small drop this morning in spite of pigging out last night. My motivation is renewed. My goal is to lose 12 pounds in the next 12 weeks. I'm going to post my progress here every Monday, similar to what we do in the distance thread.

Starting weight: 216
    Goal weight 204
    Goal Date: April 15th

I mean to update every Monday. oops.

Starting Weight: 216.0 (Jan 21st)
    Current Weight: 211.8 (Jan 30th)
    Goal Weight: 204 by Tax Day
    Weight Loss: 4.2 lbs

After a solid, steady decline I had a disheartening bump up last weekend, but I think it was typical water retention from my long run. I typically do have a jump up. The downward trend continued these past two days with a significant drop this morning which I can't explain. I'll take it though.

txiev0n83mge.png
  • sarahthes
    Options
    @7lenny7 you probably haven't replaced all that you sweated out last night, especially if you had water retention.
    ---
    I'm doing okay. A fair bit of takeout for various reasons so I'm pretty sure I'm retaining water. I'm down from yesterday but up slightly from this time last week.

Husband and both kids are sick with a cold. The youngest was too sick for daycare today (fever, plus for some reason he threw up last night - maybe due to the fever meds or mucus or something) so my husband is home with him. I'm running on about 3.5 hours of sleep due to having to strip sheets and do laundry at 2AM.

I'm not sure what supper will be. I don't want to cook.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Because @7lenny7 is being accountable...
    Heres my "progress"
    1oa9qtb7zhoh.jpg
    I've been lazy. I need to run. And eat better.
  • shanaber
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Finally talked to my doctor last night and she is upping my thyroid meds a bit and we will recheck in 3 months.

I have been eating low to match my activity level minus a bit more but haven't lost any more. Also I have been so hungry, especially at night. I think maybe I need to eat a bit of protein before I go to bed but that interferes with taking the thyroid medicine so hmmm...

Good news is the pool heater is finally working and the water is warming up. So pool running try outs tomorrow. Who wants to join me?
    I read that if done correctly it actually burns more than regular running - that remains to be seen.

It is supposed to start pouring here tomorrow so pool running in the rain. Won't matter I will be wet already. But on Saturday we have another lure coursing event and are supposed to get 2inches or more of rain. Maybe we will stay home - Hobbes hates the rain.

@Elise4270 - I think your weight profile looks pretty darn great! I would not complain if it were mine - I am no where near that and the body fat % is where I long to be!
    @sarahthes - hope the family feels better and that you don't get sick too!
    @7lenny7 - I suspect overtime that bump will smooth itself out with the overall downward trend! Doing great!!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Oh that bf is a junk number. My dxa is around 30%. I need to do weights, I’m become a frail old lady.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I ate a donut and a burrito today. And I probably won't run today since i have class. But i can try harder to run in the AM even if it is 1-2 miles on the tm. Goals: do better, try harder.

Tell me you did better!
  • sarahthes
    Options
    I had an awesome freshii bowl for lunch today. Full of things that are good for me. And tasted good too. Reasonable calories but a sodium bomb.

Supper will be something with beans. I had too many toffees from the candy dish but I'm going to hide in my office with the door closed the rest of the day so I should be able to avoid temptation.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I had about three days of not eating so well. Probably linked to my runger, getting takeout, and working from home a couple of days during the deep freeze. The miles sure helped but I did get a weight bump this morning. Probably as @sarahthes (what's a freshii bowl?) suggested, the water weight equalizing.

I'm on track today and expect to be on track the rest of the week. I do need to do a better job figuring out the macros on the things I cook. I used to be good at it but now I don't seem to want to make the effort. And forget trying to get my wife to figure it out when she cooks. At best I can weigh my food and make a fairly educated guess on the calories per ounce.

I'm trying to resurrect a strategy I used when I lost a ton of weight before. Pig out on veggies first, then eat the rest of the meal. One day recently I ate an entire head of cauliflower in two days. I have a butternut squash I need to cook tonight.

@shanaber enjoy the pool! I hope the med adjustment does the trick for you.

Upper 30's here this weekend, which I'm happy for since I need to get the smoker cranked up for my bacon.

• shanaber
    Options
    I didn't have a great day yesterday. We were out most of the day so lunch was a box from Starbucks, protein box but with the PBJ sandwich. So good but way over on carbs and fat and calories... Dinner was a Panera salad. Today I have done well but no exercise activity yet. I am going to the gym early to walk on the treadmill since it is still pouring outside. Then I have my hour session with the trainer. Still sore from Tuesday so it should be fun 😆

I did make the split pea soup in the IP with the ham bone and am happy to report that the bone did not explode :) I think I maybe could have used more peas as it looks a bit watery but it smells delicious! It will likely be dinner tonight.
  • sarahthes
    Options
    @7lenny7 freshii is a hippy dippy fast casual food place. I had the below, except I subbed quinoa for the brown rice. Website says about 700 calories and I was full for 6 hours after eating it.
    mfezqqaqacw2.png
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Yum! @sarahthes! If I had that option, I’d eat there everyday and give up those awful taco casa burritos! I can have all of those ingredients and I like them too! Bet I could make this on my own.