Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I did good today. I ate right. Wasn’t so hard after a short trip to the store and when dh lingered at the donuts I reminded him that he was probably really just hungry. He passed them up. No junk brought home.

@midwesterner85 I have a curious question, regarding “keto” you may better understand. (If anyone knows, please share).

I’m very inactive.

Yesterday I had 4 donuts and Mexican take out (rice and beans)- lots of carbs. With only coffee consumed today, about 2pm I checked my urine with the keto strips and it was actually above trace. I think you mentioned before something about those strips not being reliable? Still curious, I checked again after 9pm and it was again positive.

I did good today with the carbs, 81g. (Less than 100 is ideal for me) I don’t think it possible that my sedentary body burned though 4 donuts of stored glycogen.

Is there a reason it could be positive with all those carbs? Thanks for your thoughts.

ETA There is so much stuff on the internet, i can’t find anything.

Yes, normally I would say that the urine strips are not very accurate. But I think trace is reasonable based on what you are saying.

Keep in mind the following fundamental concepts:
    1. Our brain / central nervous systems use about 120g-130g of glucose every day. This is true for everyone regardless of size or activity level. Obviously activity causes glucose to be used by muscles, more so at higher intensities. The idea of becoming fat adapted is to increase the level of exercise intensity before skeletal muscles need to use glucose.
    2. While we need 120g-130g of glucose daily, even when sedentary, glucose can come from multiple sources such as glycogen and gluconeogenesis. This is why someone who normally eats 300g of carbs daily would not expect to suddenly have ketones if s/he eats only 50g of carbs one day. That person has plenty of glycogen to make up for the temporary low carb day. Between glycogen and gluconeogenesis, the "standard" round number of carbs consumed to be in ketosis is often 50g or 20g of net carbs daily. But that is simply a round number less than our needs in order to account for other sources of glucose.
    3. In a more prolonged absence of carbs, glycogen stores draw lower. It is at this point where our bodies start to produce ketones at higher levels to fuel our brain. Unlike skeletal muscles, our brains can only use either glucose or ketones for energy. For every 1.0 mmol/l of blood ketones, our brains use about 10% less glucose.

Trace ketones on urine sticks don't tell me much about your level of blood ketones. Since I assume you are not sedentary, and you are consistently eating a level of carbs to require supplemental glucose (either from glycogen or gluconeogenesis), it is entirely possible that you would normally have a small amount of ketones in your system simply because of the level of glucose you are making available to your brain... considering all factors.

My assumption is that, for you:
    food + glycogen + gluconeogenesis - muscle demands for glucose < 120g glucose daily
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks @midwesterner85 definitely adds insight! You're awesome btw!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pretty good lately.

I'm not buying sweets at the store. So there's nothing in the house to binge.

Even though I don't drink a ton I'm cutting back on alcohol. I want to drop some damn weight, not just the same 3 pounds! I had a drink last night and that was it for the week. Even when we went to the yard house I skipped the cherry limeade because I'm sure its a calorie bomb.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I’m off the OJ. I had a thing for OJ. Packaged in those single serving containers, just tempting me to grab 2 and stuff them in my gimp bag. Mmm. Hmm. I think I like the OJ more than the narcotics.

I replaced it with hot V8. It has enough fiber in it I won’t drink it but once a day. So, we’ll wean away from juices.

I’ve done good today. Coffee. Baby bell cheese, 2 tostadas, 1 bottle of water, and that tiny v8 can. Oh I had a few bites of a rotisserie chicken dh bought to share with his “boy”. It’s that dumb kitten. (I really do like him. He’s a good little turd now that we got him unwormy/less runny and he’s starting to look more like a cat and isn’t lodged in my *kitten* all day and night. Seriously, the thing gets in the shower with me.)

Fun fact. We have an older male that has had intermittent issues with inappropriate marking. So I took him to the vet today. Not great hope since he’s older and set in his ways, but ya know they gave him a depo-provera shot to even him out. He's dd’s childhood cat of 14 years, only reason we haven’t pursued other options for him. Depo? Anyway, if you have a bad cat or know of one, there maybe hope. *cough* uhm glue factory, what? Nah I didn’t say nuthin. Oh aren’t “bad” animals awful. He’s chilled out considerably thus far.

What have y’all eaten today? What’s for dinner?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Dinner is leftovers. Chicken with Zatarain's yellow rice.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty good day. Usual breakfast but I wasn't hungry at all for lunch. Guessing because it is just so dang hot. We went to agility and it was over 90. DH got Panera salads while we were at class and had it at home waiting for me when we got home. So good and so appreciated! Hobbes and I are both wiped out between running in the heat this morning and in the even greater heat this evening.

I love Zatarains rice especially with kielbasa... hmm may need to be dinner one of these nights.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I caved last night. Hit a slump and at 930pm sent dh for OJ. Ugh. Least he brought home a gallon of "made from concentrate", thats not as good or convenient as the single serve ones. So perhaps ill not wanna mess with it. I also ate pizza last night. Just hit a slump- food seemed to be the obvious choice. I think its a back to lower carbs tired adjustment period again.

I had a coworker txt me this am and i snapped at him hes just stirring work *kitten* up. And I dont care. Then i found cute kitten photos (of cats past) when i was looking for something and i was happy again.
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Still on the juice. With the Exception of the OJ, I'm back to eating like i was pre-surgery. Dh has gained about 10 pounds and is looking to cut his carbs back and asked me to make some egg bites. So i did.

That was pretty much the longest tiime I've spent in the kitchen and it was hard, just stand there on one leg forever. Yuck. They are a great grab and go snack or something until you make a rational decision on what to eat next.

I still want to sit in bed and eat a whole cheesecake while studying. Maybe I'm wanting to indulge in some stress eating. Get OJ. No cheesecake.

What did you eat today? What did you not eat today?
  • shanaber
    Options
    We are eating up what we have in the fridge or frozen before we head out on Sunday. Don't want to grocery shop when we are going to be gone for a week. I made a quesadilla with leftover rotisserie chicken for lunch and some quick quac - basically avocado, jarred salsa and cilantro. So good, hit the spot! For dinner we had pork chops, thick ones from Costco and DH bbq'd them with some fresh asparagus and baked sweet potato! Now we are watching Anthony Bourdain in Antarctica and having a bit of ice cream. Seemed appropriate and I still had the calories for it 😁 Pretty sure Tony would approve!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Hey folks,

1. I'm coming to the conclusion that I shouldn't have a jar of peanut butter in my desk at work.
    2. I'm slipping back into the cereal eating habit. I need to stop that crap.
    3. Night time snacking continues to be my downfall.
    4. My wife buys frozen cookie dough already in individual cookie portions. They are evil.
    5. Not running is not helping. With some cross training cardio tonight, I hope to start getting back on track.
    6. No drop in weight for a few weeks now. I think my goal was 206 by April 15th. I'm up a couple to 211 now. The two pounds isn't a big deal, but end of my downward trend is.
    7. My breakfasts & lunches continue to be great, so that's something.
    8. I'm trying to cook wild game more frequently. I found some venison roasts from 2017 in the freezer, and with three bird hunter we have a LOT of pheasant in the freezer. My goal is to cook one dish with wild game every week (not counting the 75 lbs of venison hot dogs and venison meat sticks we have for snacking)
  • shanaber
    Options
    @7lenny7 - are you still not running because of injury? Do you get plenty of protein at dinner and/or tried a protein snack after dinner? I find protein fills me up so I am not likely to snack on things I shouldn't.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @shanaber, yes, I'm not running due to my Achilles. I'm going to start cross training tonight though.

I think I get enough protein. Usually 30 to 40 percent of my calories, where MFP claims it should be 20 percent. My fat is higher than they indicate as well. I'm not eating at night out of hunger, I'm eating it out of boredom or habit or something else. Sometimes I catch myself and acknowledge that I'm not hungry and get out of the kitchen. Often I just eat meat at supper. I do need to start tracking the evening eating better, since I really don't much now.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Eating at maintenance while injured, at least for the next few days. Grrr I’m so mad about being injured! @7lenny7 thanks for your well wishes, I wish you were never injured, but it’s nice having someone to talk to who has experience with Achilles issues. I’m hoping to not screw up my ankle permanently by taking care of this properly from the get go. Been using a heel cup around the house. Still some swelling and stiffness, but the tendon no longer hurts when pinched.

Today I needed to eat my feelings, but I did it with a modicum of restraint and stayed under my maintenance calories. That included fast food (half a small fry, a hamburger patty only with loads of pickles) and my new deluxe treat for myself: Greek yogurt with almond butter, vanilla, and cacao powder whipped together into a stiff foam then mixed with frozen cherries, raspberries, and blueberries so that it froze on the outside of the berries. 250 calories, quite reasonable as far as blood sugar is concerned, and full of good nutritious stuff. I hardly ever eat refined sugar so this is plenty sweet for me, but someone with more typical taste buds might add a little maple syrup or honey.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I made more egg bites even though she is out of town. Did likes them and she on this starvation diet kick. I can not talk any sense into her.

For the egg bites, i mixed the ricotta in with the egg rather than leaving the egg whole, added a jalapeno and of course bacon and kerrygold Dubliner cheese. I ate 5, which is 2.5 eggs. So good.

I'm hanging out at Walmart pick up... Waiting. I think they need to hire some more people. My pick up time was 4. It's 520. I've been here since 450. Any minute now...
  • shanaber
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I am not a big egg eater but those sound delicious! Do you make them in the IP? I have been promising DH that I will make some for him but have not gotten it done, yet... Now it will have to wait until we get home from our road trip but he can always get them at Starbucks on the road.

I didn't eat enough today... We are trying to finish up what is in the fridge and did a really good job but I should have had a cookie or fig newton or something and now it is too late. I am packing a bunch of healthy snacks for the road. Almonds, tangerines, mini triscuits and home made pumpkin mini muffins. Opps - those are all pretty much carbs, guess that is what I am craving after my long run today.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber the egg bites were made in a silicon muffin “tin” in the oven at 375 for 15-20 minutes. I need to make them regularly. Dh, dd and I grab them so frequently. And they are the kind of snack that quells any hunger and are so indulgent. Everything for me is fat, but I bet if one wanted to cut it back with cottage cheese or low fat ricotta, turkey bacon and the egg substitute would put a dent in the calories and fat. If I make them one egg per tray, they are about 200 calories each. If I mix the ricotta I have to cut the egg back because they get fluffy. And those seem to be about 125-150 each. Still not horrible for a quick bite of real food.

I’ve been up since 245, (it’s 440) My baby cat is coming in more finally. She stayed in last night for just under 6 hours. Usually it’s 20 minutes. But we had storms come through, maybe she decided she’d come in out of the cold, wind and rain for a warm nap in the towels and eat. I suppose the shed all alone in a storm isn’t idea comfort when she knows inside. So I woke up to let her out, and now am awake. Baby monster is guarding the garage and won’t come in so I keep thinking he’ll get cold and he doesn’t yet know how to let himself in. Suppose if I shut the door, it’ll give him the chance to learn. It’s 45F. It sound like the storms have passed.

Today’s food?
    I’m not sure. Dh was suppose to be out of town all weekend and he surprisingly came home yesterday evening. I’d stocked up on frozen pesto pizza, noosa, and oj anticipating snacks all weekend. He said he thought I might be lonely, home all the time with limited adult interaction, awww 🥰. Sure dd’s an adult, but I’m still parenting her. Least I can send him to the store for the things I forget. Walmart pick up and online shopping is nice *i did wait an hour yesterday for my pick up order*, but I have got to read the descriptions better. Dd wanted carrots so I thought I ordered a pound, I ordered a 5 pound bag. And I got the cuts cat food, not pâté. Eh, they’ll eat it and like it. So what can I do with carrots? I might have to learn to grab them for a snack. I make a mean carrot cake, but I think that’s only 2-3 carrots and so much icing. Mmm.

I suppose it’s back to studying muscles. I’m half way learned for Wednesday’s practical. I forgot how horrible the last few weeks of the semester was. Test, Test, Test and Tests. Oh don’t forget that paper. Did you know that you learn to learn? Huh? Makes since. Maybe those that are geniuses just learn to file and recall sooner and more efficiently than the rest of us. I always wanted to not remember anything as a kid. Anytime I was asked a question, “i don’t know”-keeping the highways open. I thought that it’d clog up my brain and when I got older, I’d be dumb because I had too much un-useful information clogging it up. Like a trash bin that was overflowing. But the idk response was put to a stop when negative reinforcement was added. So, I’m horrible about answering and not being able to side-step questions. I may get swatted if I don’t answer. Ugh, I’m so trainable.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,076 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Maybe you could add blanched carrots to your cat's food, if they are going to go to waste otherwise. I really am not a cat person, so don't know if they like carrots or not. But, I know they are one of my dogs favorite treats. Otherwise, they do make a nice, quick, crunchy snack.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @elise4270 - Glad you are safe from the storms. Wonder if the storms cause the critters to come out and gives Monster cat something to chase... We used to get more mice in our basement when it was storming but maybe they were smart enough to know to come in out of the cold and rain...

Carrots... I wonder if you could make carrot bread or muffins like you would zucchini? I like to make mini muffins and freeze them so I can pull a couple out for breakfast. You could also make juice - I'm not a fan but lots of people like carrot juice. Or just cut them up and snack on them. They do last for quite a while.

Learning - it is fascinating how we learn and are conditioned to do or not do certain things... either with positive or negative conditioning. You definitely have to learn to learn and some learn it well and some never figure it out.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I'm not sure if my cats like carrots. I had one cat that was seriously offended by them, but loved peas. My dogs will run of with a cooked carrot and the drop it like "yuck. What's this?" But they do eventually get eaten.

I like carrot juice. But way too much of a mess. I like the muffin idea, although the carbs could be an issue. But I really like the muffin idea... Thinking mini carrot cakes muffins with no icing. Mmm.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @Elise4270 - This is the muffin recipe I used. I don't put any icing or anything on them but I do eat them with a bit of cream cheese. Also I made mini muffins instead of big ones...

Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
    Easy, one bowl, maple-sweetened, pumpkin muffins made with whole wheat flour, oats, coconut oil and spices! These healthy muffins are as light, fluffy and delicious as their coffee shop counterparts. Recipe yields 12 muffins.

INGREDIENTS
    • 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil*
    • 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
    • 2 eggs, at room temperature
    • 1 cup pumpkin purée
    • 1/4 cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling on top
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    • 1/4 teaspoon allspice or cloves
    • 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
    • 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats, plus more for sprinkling on top
    INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius). If necessary, grease all 12 cups of your muffin tin with butter or non-stick cooking spray (my pan is non-stick and didn’t require any grease).
    2. In a large bowl, beat the oil and maple syrup or honey together with a whisk. Add the eggs, and beat well. Mix in the pumpkin purée and milk, followed by the baking soda, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice.
    3. Add the flour and oats to the bowl and mix with a large spoon, just until combined. If you’d like to add any additional mix-ins**, like nuts, chocolate or dried fruit, fold them in now.
    4. Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups. For these muffins, it’s ok to fill the cups a little higher than you normally would. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a small amount of oats, followed by a sprinkle of cinnamon. Bake muffins for 22 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
    5. Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack to cool. These muffins are delicate until they cool down (you have been warned!). You might need to run a butter knife along the outer edge of the muffins to loosen them from the pan.
    6. These muffins will keep at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. They keep well in the freezer in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months (just defrost individual muffins as needed).
    NOTES
    Recipe adapted from my honey-sweetened pumpkin bread.
    *OIL OPTIONS: I love coconut oil here. I used unrefined coconut oil and can hardly taste it in the final product. Olive oil might lend an herbal note to the muffins, if you’re into that (I tested with California Olive Ranch’s “Everyday” variety and couldn’t even taste it). Vegetable oil has a neutral flavor but the average vegetable/canola oil is highly processed, so I recommend using cold-pressed sunflower oil or grapeseed oil if possible.
    **CHANGE IT UP: You could really go crazy with add-ins here. Fold in up to 3/4 cup chocolate chips, chopped dried cranberries or crystallized ginger and/or chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts. Liz topped these muffins with my maple glaze from my pumpkin scones recipe, which sounds like delicious.

From - https://cookieandkate.com/2014/healthy-maple-pumpkin-muffins/7wv8567pz4ys.jpeg
    lomh1c7rdzip.png