Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Avocado toast for breakfast.
    Strawberries and three hard boiled eggs for lunch.
    Cleaning out the refrigerator for supper, getting rid of leftovers that my picky son won't eat while we're gone.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I just had a Taco Bell taco salad after a tennis match.

What? Taco Bell? I had a cosmetic surgeon tell me that they used his surgical leftovers for their meat! Haha! I said "no, it's cat food". Haha!

I had schlotzskys. I drove right past Panera while talking to myself about my great visit today. Goof ball.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin muffin with cream cheese and a tangerine for breakfast on the run
    Subway for lunch
    Thinking chicken in the IP for dinner but I am not sure how/what...

Hahaha @elise4270 that reflects my feelings about Taco Bell. I don't think I have been to one for years and years. Same with McDonalds...

@elise4270 - how was your doctor appointment?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with blackberries and cottage cheese breakfast, half an orange before walking, half a grilled gyro with giardiniera and half a serving of pasta with mint pesto for lunch. I am doomed, the man who runs the gyro shop loves me and keeps giving me free food to take home. Last time it was the best chicken shawarma I ever ate, this time it was some sort of meatballs in some sort of absolutely delicious red sauce. It’s waiting for me in the fridge. At least I think it’s reasonably low cal, the shawarma I’m pretty sure was 98% butter. Oh my gosh so good.

Lesson about not paying attention to the scale: Easter morning, two days ago, due to lack of sleep, stress, and a hard workout the day before, I was up four pounds from my usual. This morning I was down six and a half pounds from then.

Posting this from my seat outside watching the bird feeder. Red winged blackbirds have entirely taken over my backyard. I think there may be a baby somewhere on the ground, as they are aggressively driving off a pair of much larger crows, a red bellied woodpecker, assorted squirrels, and several finches and cardinals.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    Re: drive by posts. I read everything but can never keep track of what I meant to comment on. I can remember everyone’s main name but the numbers attached to the names escape me unless I’m actually looking at the post, so anyone with numbers more than one page back likely isn’t getting a reply. How does everyone else keep track?

@Elise4270 that apple challah looks amazing. I miss bread! Bread, rice, and pecan pie are the things I haven’t figured out how to cope with.

@7lenny7 poppers also look amazing! And the best part about eating pheasant is you get to eat a pheasant! We had them all over the dang place growing up - our neighbor let us ride wherever we wanted through miles upon miles of milo fields, which were full of pheasants waiting to explode in front of our horses as we rode by. A pheasant encounter once broke six of my dad’s ribs!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,007 Member
    Options
    Re Taco Bell. Sorry I made you all barf. :wink: When you live in a small town without any really good restaurants and you need something before you go to work and your refrigerator is bare, and.....Yes, it's excuses, but it is better than some of the other things I could have had. That's why I need your help. When I get a chance, I plan to stock the fridge with better food and hopefully avoid fast food restaurants most of the time.
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Sorry about the Taco Bell comment... my dd loves it. But she did eat cat food as a kid... 🙀okay okay. Sorry. I tried eating those salads until I looked up the calories. Even if you can get real meat thats alright. .. we love you. I’m a bean eater. Mmm love dem beans! ETA and who knows what they put in them

@rheddmobile remember? Nope... I can’t do it. I read one and start to reply and find another then forget where it was and page back and on android it loses the post or tilt the phone and it loses everything, so then I forget the first person I was replying too. My iPad won’t do that, but I do try to hit “copy” in case it does. Someone mentioned that they reply on a note (assuming electronic) then copies it in to the reply. That’s dedication.

@shanaber loved the doc visit. I have photos for @Avidkeo , but my phone won’t load pics on mfp, er mfp won’t allow it or communicate or whatever happens, just isn’t happening. I can swim. No weights, said it’ll twist the bone- assume that’s just me and all. Idk. He thinks 4 more weeks and I’ll be ready to walk mostly sans crutches, with a limp. I forgot to fess up about gimping around with out them, I meant too, but we had such a nice chat about other stuff I lost the opportunity.
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @quilteryoyo you know I have a taco casa addiction, right? $5.54 I can have a burrito and a Diet Coke. Cheap, easy and omg... get in my belly.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with the individual replies, and do all MFP on my phone, mostly on the bus or late at night, so am following all these tricks for keeping track. The people and personalities are not hard at all, and I read everything, but the usernames with numbers foil me too.

Still working through a glut of eggs from the chickies, so I had an egg scramble this morning with Canadian bacon, green peppers, onions and Colby-jack, then an egg salad sandwich and big salad for lunch, and tea and a Trader Joe’s chocolate-dipped almond biscotti for a snack. Super hungry for dinner but I have to run to a work event, so I might have a piece of fruit to tide myself over. I don’t think the event will have food...
  • shanaber
    Options
    I do most of my updates on my laptop. Can't abide with the hassle of doing it from the phone. I used to open two browsers and use one to type my responses and the other to scroll through. That way I could get everything I saw when reading through and also get all the names right. I don't do that much any more - too much work and too many posts to scroll through.
    @Elise4270 - glad the doc visit went well and that you can swim now!! Yay!
    @quilteryoyo - I just don't like Taco Bell. DH will go to Del Taco up the street from us occasionally for lunch. I don't like it either and I always tell him he should walk there to make up for all the calories :lol: We used to have a place called Naugles that was the best - Del Taco bought them out and got rid of all the Naugles sites and menu items. Recently we saw that someone got the old menu and authority to reproduce it but there is only one location and it is far from us. I will get there one of these days!

I did well today - I made a parmesan pesto chicken with baby potatoes in the IP. It was really delicious and we have leftovers for another night.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @quilteryoyo Sorry about the Taco Bell comment... my dd loves it. But she did eat cat food as a kid... 🙀okay okay. Sorry. I tried eating those salads until I looked up the calories. Even if you can get real meat thats alright. .. we love you. I’m a bean eater. Mmm love dem beans! ETA and who knows what they put in them
    It's okay. I don't hold it against you. I know it isn't the ideal place to eat, but I did check the calorie and sodium levels and they aren't bad for fast food. I eat a lot of their chicken burritos simply because the sodium levels are about the lowest you can get from a take out place, plus they are only $2.62! (I used to eat red clay dirt when I was little. Not exactly cat food, but it is a strange addiction I had at the time. Maybe that is why I like it. LOL) My nephew did work at one when he was in college and told me to never get the rice on the taco salad, so I always leave that off. He says they pour the grease from the cooked hamburger meat over the rice. Yuck!

As for commenting, I wondered how people got all of those responses from pages of posts. I do use my laptop for commenting, so it is easy to scroll back up the page to get the names correct. But, when there are multiple pages, it's a challenge. I started commenting on a page at a time, copying my comments, going to the next page and pasting the comments at the bottom, add to them, and repeat. I do like the idea of opening up two browsers. May have to try that.

@Elise4270 Glad you will be able to swim now. Hope the healing continues and you are back to walking/running soon!
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I can remember a time growing up in Memphis when it was a choice of El Porton, Molly’s la Casita, or Taco Hell if you wanted Mexican food. Nowadays there are countless chains, plus authentic bodegas, and locally owned restaurants on every level from fine dining to food trucks. Most taquerias are only a couple of dollars per taco, and you can get any meat from chicken to tongue or goat (which I adore). The main reason to eat at Taco Bell (which I have done plenty in my life) is being desperate for a quick meal at 4 am. Have you all over in East Tennessee not had the same explosion of Mexican restaurants as we have here?

Geez, I made myself hungry now.
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Moving away from the poor choices we make (I had a giant schlotzskys yesterday); it is equally important to acknowledge the less than great choices we make, fast food salad is definitely a “do better” choice, I wanna know what are we eating today?

I can’t believe so many read every post. I skim them. I was one of those kids that went to special reading classes for a few years and speech therapy, so I think there’s some left over anxiety produced by reading and letters in general. I like numbers. Dh says i should get over it, haha! I ramble a lot, can not believe you endure that. I’ll try harder to read more.

We have no class today! huzzah! So I can study and catch up (not really behind). I need to phone the vet. Mr depo provera is still off his nut and baby monster is 4 months old. I’d sure like to get the fixin’ done ASAP. Point is- I have errands, dd took her placement test yesterday for college classes. She hadnt in eaten in 47 hours, didn’t even try on the maths, just clicked any ol’ answer, so they want to start her in fundamentals of math, she missed English comp by 1 point, I’m hoping she retakes the test. She went from being so excited to almost as if it were a chore. It’s a little heartbreak. So we do get to go enroll her today for a summer history class. I sure hope she find some payoff and encouragement in coursework. She thinks I’m smart, I told her not really, I struggle to learn- I always have, remember the remedial reading.. I was stuck in slow classes all the way through high school. I excelled in them and they put me back with the normies, then I’d fall behind, then back in the remedial classes... just a circle. Anyway, she’s the brilliant one. Remember when you got that mothers curse? “I hope you have a daughter just like you!” I said “me too. I’ll finally have someone intelligent to talk too”. Curse fulfilled, she’s brilliant, but doesn’t know it or care maybe.

@quilteryoyo The grease over the rice must be a thing. I wonder why restaurant/ff rice always set up with fat when cooled (and tasted so good).
  • shanaber
    Options
    @elise4270 - the other possibility with your dd is that she is afraid... afraid she won't fit in, afraid she will fail, etc. It is hard to make that 1st step and so easy to sabotage it. I hope that she finds that instructor or class that she will love and keep coming back because it was so great.
    I love to read, started learning to read before I went to school when my mom was helping my older brother with his reading (he's dyslexic). It made it terrible for me when I went to school because I got bored with 'See Dick and Jane' and reading just a single page... I am one of those weird ones though that I also love numbers and math theory in particular probably more than anything else. It is all so elegant and logical.
    @quilteryoyo - I remember reading that kids eat dirt because there is something lacking from their diet - some element or something that they need. Don't know if that is true or just someone making it seem 'ok' for kids to eat dirt! We ate dog kibble and dog bones - lol not sure what that means :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2019
    Options
    @shanaber yes I agree it is probably anxiety or fear that gets her, i tried to tell her it gets everyone. It gets me and i dun wanna more often than I wanna. I can’t even wanna go to the grocery store, i won’t even cook for myself. So lazy. I let her know that is short lived once you put action to it, just make a move and the focus quickly changes.

I don’t think I ever ate anything weird as a kid. Not even a milkbone. I was a picky eater. Still kinda am. Oh I had stress as kid and chewed my hair for a bit, until I heard about it becoming a bezoar. I stopped.

Dh is out of town again the rest of the week so I ordered some groceries. Looks like ribeye and asparagus for dinner again. Yum. I’ll probably mosey to the kitchen and make some egg bites for lunch/snacks.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    You folks have convinced me that I don't need to read every post, thank you for that. @shanaber I also do the multiple browser technique. If I do respond from my phone and my reply is anything longer than a couple of sentences I've learned to type it up in Gmail so I don't lose it. I hate the MFP app...If the screen hibernates or if I turn the phone, it goes back to the list of subforums and I lose what I wrote. It's almost as bad as hitting "Done" instead of "Send".

@rheddmobile milo is my absolute favorite field for hunting pheasant. Thick, heavy cover they can hide in, lots of food they can eat, and short enough I can watch Kody work and see the birds fly up, not all always the case in standing corn.

Around here my go-to fast food Mexican is Taco Johns or Zantigo. Zantigo was popular growing up but now there are just 2 or 3 in the state so when I'm close to them, I usually go. I don't do fast food much though. Outside of traveling, maybe 5 or 6 times a year, and then I prefer something like Jimmy John's or Subway where I have more control of what goes into it. One go-to is the Grilled Chicken Go Wrap at Wendy's, hold the honey mustard, add regular mustard. Under $2 and only 230 calories.

My new favorite latin-american food is Pollo Campero which actually originated in Guatemala. There's only one in Minnesota and it is so so good. I don't care about calories when I eat there.

My eating has been horrible. Specifically my late night eating. I don't know if it's from not running, anxiety about my race, or feeling that since I have a race I can eat anything but my weight is up 5 pounds over the last week. Carb water weight is most of it, I'm sure, but it still sucks.

This is unusual...All packed up and we still have an hour to go before we call Uber. Maybe I'll take a nap.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I’ve been doing a good job sticking to my deficit, but it made my fasted 5 miles this morning not too fun, so I think I should probably make my deficit smaller or eat at maintenance for the next 10 days until my HM. Also, I’m off on a work trip, and on this one I don’t have good access to a fridge/stove/time—I made it short so am squeezing lots of meetings over fewer long days with no breaks, none of which is really a recipe for healthy eating (though I did pack my fruit!)

But I had some plain Siggi’s, fresh pineapple, and homemade granola this morning before heading to the airport, so at least I’m starting off well. I do need some coffee though, and hoping the TSA line is short so I can get some!

@7lenny7 your race sounds so exciting! And all the Portland food talk has been making me hungry. And wanting to go eat in Portland. I’m not a big fan of Voodoo donuts (though my kids adore it), but I had some of the best pork belly I’ve ever had at a Vietnamese place downtown, and amazing chicken & waffles (of all things), at a foodie brunch place called Screen Door. And while we’re talking fast food, Portland also has one of the only fast food places we like: Burgerville is a smallish regional chain that uses a lot of seasonal and local ingredients. Unfortunately they only come as far north as just south of Olympia, so no luck in Seattle.

@Elise4270 that’s great news that all went well at the doc’s! And swimming!!

I work in book publishing, so am used to reading a lot, and quickly, but I also spend so much time on a computer that I am loathe to get on one when I’m not working. But the phone and app does have its limitations!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @rheddmobile Yes, the Mexican food explosion has hit E. TN. We have a couple that I really like. But none of them are "fast food."

@7lenny7 I will have to keep the Wendy's grilled chicken wrap in mind. Sometimes Taco Bell does get boring.

I have self diagnosed myself with mild dyslexia, which I guess wasn't really diagnosed when I was in school - at least not around here. It did make me a very slow reader, because I tend to have to read every word to make sure I am getting it right. Skimming is hard for me. But, I love to read and math is my absolute favorite! So, @shanaber , I guess we are a lot alike in that area.

@shanaber Mom and dad tell me that they took me to the doctor and he said I was eating red clay because I was probably lacking in iron. He told them to just let me eat it and not worry about it, as long as they made sure I wasn't exposed to soil that had been treated with fertilizers or poisons. At the time, they farmed together with the neighbors. A couple refused to not use the poisons, so they had to stop helping them in the fields. Funny thing is, I still remember what it tastes like and it tastes good. :smiley:
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have only eaten at Taco Bell a few times in my life. I still haven’t found what to order to make it edible. I was raised on taco johns ... (it started in Wyoming, or so the story goes... no, really... it’s in the song... )
    My boyfriend disagrees, he loves Taco Bell, and doesn’t think taco johns serves actual food.
    My nutrition win for the month (Yes, I only have one), is that the starburst jelly beans I grabbed at the grocery store some time in March, were not completely devoured before Easter. :)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I’m trying so hard today... I found myself on the couch last night eating mini muffins with left over lemon cake icing, then just spoons of icing. 😧 I threw the left over away so it would be there to repeat.

So far :
    Coffee
    2 homemade egg bites
    A tiny can of v8

No dinner plans. I have a frozen pizza, so I’d better get a plan together unless I just wanna eat the ‘za.

How are you doing today?