Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,005 Member
    Options
    Well, thanks to you all, I'm trying to do better. I went to the grocery store today for the first time in a month. I bought fruit and salad fixin's. Today, I've had half and egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast, a protein bar for lunch (post doctor/pre grocery store), an orange for snack, and Italian baked chicken, roasted red potatoes, and steamed vegetables for dinner. The doctor verified that I have bronchitis. I got a steroid shot and lots of meds. Hope to be able to quit coughing soon and maybe even get some decent sleep.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I rarely skip logging, but think this will be one of those (very short 2-day) trips. I had hotel breakfast buffet oatmeal with sliced almonds, a latte, a chai latte, salad bar salad and Hungarian mushroom soup, bread, an amazing fudge brownie, a chocolate chocolate chip cookie, 2 cups of coffee, some cheese, chicken skewers, grapes, a goat cheese and cranberry crostini, 2 edamame dumplings, bulgogi, green beans, lettuce, 2 smashed fingerling potatoes, one piece of kimchi pancake, assorted banchan (fish cakes, cucumbers, potato salad?) and 4 spoonfuls of green tea ice cream.

Suffice it to say I think I went about at least 50% over my calorie budget for the day. But it was super tasty! Luckily the portions were all pretty small...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Had leftover Easter lamb chops for lunch today along with sweet potatoes, asparagus, and lady peas. Dinner is going to be whatever protein I can find, I need to get to the grocery store. I think we have some canned tuna.

I keep having chocolate cravings, so lately I’ve been putting cacao powder in everything. Today I put it in my breakfast oatmeal, and in some almond butter which I made into a sort of ball. Kind of like instant two ingredient keto fudge.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I didn't eat breakfast until almost 11am, so I guess it was technically brunch. You all inspired me to mix it up a little, so I had a 2 egg scramble with bell pepper, mushrooms, onions, and cheese and a piece of toast. It was yummy. I plan to try to exercise a little later, have an apple with peanut butter as a snack afterwards, and something with a pork chop for dinner.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @simcon1 I love green tea ice cream. Yum! Dh has a HM this weekend, I’m making a mental note to stop and have sushi with red bean and green tea ice cream, dh and I share both. All of your food sounds just as good as @7lenny7 ‘s.

I think I did better yesterday. I haven’t logged it though. I wanted sweet twice yesterday and grabbed an apple both times. I did drink the last of the OJ. So, probably more carbs than I wanted, but still acceptable. No icing out of the container.

@quilteryoyo Sounds like you are on track ! After class last night I was peckish and thought about a gooey burrito but remembered I can just make my own tostadas and it won’t take that long to cook. It’s getting easier to stand in the kitchen longer. I did grab both crutches. Ahh, that’s fabulous, being able to move without pain. So, I passed on the fast food “Mexican” food.

Dh comes home tonight. I need to study (of course). Think there’s tostada stuff left. So guess that’s lunch or later. I still want that challah bread, but have yet to find the motivation. It’d be good for the HM trip though.

Keep up the good work all!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    I ran through breakfast and had decaf coffee with protein powder and some milk and a fig newton after my run. Then had breakfast for lunch (Greek yogurt with homemade granola). Dinner was a Panera salad and we got petite chocolate chip cookies, like homemade without all the work and dough to snack on 😁 I limited myself to 2.
    We made it to Costco. Got lots of meat - another tenderloin to make IP carnitas probably tomorrow. DH got ribs to smoke on Sunday for dinner with brother and sil. and of course chicken for just general dinners. I still need to get to the grocery for salad fixings and all kinds of other veggies.

@Elise4270 - great job passing up the burrito and making something at home!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I am trying out some new recipes so that I am not in the rut of meat and potatoes. Tonight, I made a hamburger wrap. I fried the burger, sauteed mushrooms and onions, put it all in a tortilla with spring mix, cheddar cheese, and blue cheese dressing. It was really pretty tasty and filling for 616 calories, 28g carbs, 41g fat, and 798 mg of sodium.
  • simcon1
    Options
    Yum, @shanaber I love carnitas! Do you have a recipe for the IP, or do you improvise?

I am thoroughly exhausted after my trip, and got up at 3 am for a 5 am flight, so somewhat incoherent by this point. But I’m grateful for two things about that crazy hour—one is that I beat the snow (I’m starting to hear that some of the other conference attendees had their flights cancelled this afternoon & got stuck, and am just hoping this doesn’t happen to my colleague, who I already left with the work today! :o ). The other is that I got bumped up to first class, so had a somewhat luxurious ride.

So far, all travel food, con’t: Greek yogurt with granola and berry compote from Frontera (so yum, favorite place to eat at O’Hare!), then fruit, cinnamon scone, & spinach feta omelette on the plane. And a mini ham & Swiss sandwich. I believe I should return to vegetables sometime soon!

Still on the fence about running ambitions for tomorrow... today I’m planning on staying horizontal as much as possible for the rest of the day, although I’ve been neglecting my planks & (assisted) pull ups, so maybe I can muster some of those after a rest..
  • shanaber
    Options
    @simcon1 - this is the recipe I use. I am pretty new to using the IP so I haven't done too much improvising yet. Still learning mostly about how much time things take. Also you can use whatever cur of meat works but I typically get a pork tenderloin at Costco (in the 2-pack) because they are relatively inexpensive, not very fatty and are easily cut up. It makes enough to put some in the freezer for other meals for us but honestly we like it so much it rarely makes it into the freezer.
    It's funny I used to have favorite places to eat at the airports (DFW, O'Hare, Dulles and Philly) but I guess I have put them all out of my mind. It has been a year since I retired (this week) and I haven't had to fly to any of those airports this year 😊 Yay! I do not miss it, except for seeing all the people I worked with.
  • shanaber
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Looks delicious @elise4270! So cool to see Bart Yasso!
    Hope your DH has a great race tomorrow!
  • simcon1
    edited April 2019
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @simcon1 - this is the recipe I use. I am pretty new to using the IP so I haven't done too much improvising yet. Still learning mostly about how much time things take. Also you can use whatever cur of meat works but I typically get a pork tenderloin at Costco (in the 2-pack) because they are relatively inexpensive, not very fatty and are easily cut up. It makes enough to put some in the freezer for other meals for us but honestly we like it so much it rarely makes it into the freezer.
    It's funny I used to have favorite places to eat at the airports (DFW, O'Hare, Dulles and Philly) but I guess I have put them all out of my mind. It has been a year since I retired (this week) and I haven't had to fly to any of those airports this year 😊 Yay! I do not miss it, except for seeing all the people I worked with.

@shanaber I will definitely have to try that IP recipe—thanks for sharing!

I am a long way from retirement, but wouldn’t mind traveling a bit less. I’m hoping my colleague (who I left early yesterday, and who did a great job and I think was only delayed an hour getting out) can take more of it on, so there’s a plan in place. In the meantime, no big travel for May (Vancouver only), but in June I’ll head to Detroit early in the month and then New Zealand at the end of the month!

I’m toying with the idea of doing a sprint triathlon here in Seattle in July, and I’m just not sure how nuts that is with the June travel.

In any case, more thread related, my new yummy find that I ended my terrible-eating snacky day with (because I was too tired to prepare anything or even think about it) was these skinny dipped chocolate espresso almonds. So tasty. They are something like 150 cal & 6 g sugar for 15 almonds.

• Elise4270
    Options
    I did better this weekend. Ate little Saturday, today I had poached eggs. My guts hate me. So I may not eat much today
  • shanaber
    Options
    DH went out for donuts this morning even though I had bought ingredients to make scrambled egg wraps. So he had donuts (I did have a little piece of one) and I had a wrap with spinach, peppers, onion, avocado, eggs and bacon. He whined about how good the bacon smelled :smiley:
    He is smoking ribs for dinner tonight and I am making a big salad along and some baked beans. His brother and SIL are coming for dinner so it should be a fun evening.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    So it's been a couple of months and the 5 pounds I lost in February are baaaaaaaaack. Sigh. I've been struggling recently with my relationship with my weight. I know yo-yo dieting is bad for you, but I don't understand how I'm supposed to maintain a healthy weight without occasional cuts unless I never, ever slip up (March and April are big birthday months) or vary my diet or exercise output (I run less in winter than summer). And I say a healthy weight as if I've managed to obtain that - I've been dancing around the top of overweight BMI for a year or so now, and I'm certainly happy with that compared to where I was before, but it still bothers me sometimes. Anyhow, I want to push to get my weight down again this month and see what that looks like. I'll be upping my running as well, so hopefully it'll all balance out.

Here's to accountability!

Today's weight: 162 lbs
    Goal weight: 155 lbs
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Not sure what my food plans are today. I have my muscle practical tonight, I think I’m ready. So I have time to cook something, maybe ribeye and asparagus again, maybe egg bites, maybe challah?

Asian food gives me a migraine and I’m still fending off a bit of a nuisance headache and upset guts from Saturday. I could just make some rice and veggies with that thin ribeye. Path of least resistance sounds good today.

What are you eating today?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Not sure what my food plans are today. I have my muscle practical tonight, I think I’m ready. So I have time to cook something, maybe ribeye and asparagus again, maybe egg bites, maybe challah?

Asian food gives me a migraine and I’m still fending off a bit of a nuisance headache and upset guts from Saturday. I could just make some rice and veggies with that thin ribeye. Path of least resistance sounds good today.

I'm trying to eat more veggies - we recently signed up for an Imperfect Produce box (weekly produce delivery of stuff that grocery stores won't buy for cosmetic or stocking reasons) and I'm trying to include one new snacking veggie and one for cooking in each bi-weekly box. I've got a zucchini that's looking kind of soggy so I'm thinking about chopping it up for a scramble soon but I'm also in a weird food headspace right now and trying to chill out about it.

Ribeye and asparagus sounds yummy.
  • Elise4270
    Options

I'm trying to eat more veggies - we recently signed up for an Imperfect Produce box (weekly produce delivery of stuff that grocery stores won't buy for cosmetic or stocking reasons) and I'm trying to include one new snacking veggie and one for cooking in each bi-weekly box. I've got a zucchini that's looking kind of soggy so I'm thinking about chopping it up for a scramble soon but I'm also in a weird food headspace right now and trying to chill out about it.

I like the idea of imperfect produce. I saw a show on it and, of course wanna buy all the not so pretty veggies and fruits, but it is hard to embrace. Yesterday dh had a banana that seemed to have been frozen and was soft. Sure it was fine to eat, but we readily discarded it without thinking that there really isn’t anything wrong with it. Shame on me, didn’t even think about it.

I have an abundance of carrots. I make myself eat them even if they look weird, trying to not over think it and desensitize myself to the expectations of what it should look like. We’ve got the garden going, so I’ll have to embrace the odd produce.

I chucked rice, frozen veggies and the ribeye in the IP and pushed a button. I may add a can of coconut milk to it when it’s done, but I don’t think I have any pineapple to balance it...
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options

I like the idea of imperfect produce. I saw a show on it and, of course wanna buy all the not so pretty veggies and fruits, but it is hard to embrace. Yesterday dh had a banana that seemed to have been frozen and was soft. Sure it was fine to eat, but we readily discarded it without thinking that there really isn’t anything wrong with it. Shame on me, didn’t even think about it.

I have an abundance of carrots. I make myself eat them even if they look weird, trying to not over think it and desensitize myself to the expectations of what it should look like. We’ve got the garden going, so I’ll have to embrace the odd produce.

I chucked rice, frozen veggies and the ribeye in the IP and pushed a button. I may add a can of coconut milk to it when it’s done, but I don’t think I have any pineapple to balance it...

I was really excited when my city got Imperfect delivery, only to find out quickly from Facebook that there's some debate over whether that kind of service is really a net societal good or not - I guess there's concern about them taking food away from food shelves and customers from CSAs. I dunno. No matter what you do these days, there's going to be something problematic about it. I'm just trying to be more aware of my own personal food waste and let the rest figure itself out.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    In the spirit of keeping it simple, I scrambled a couple of eggs and tossed some shredded cheese and green onion (wilted but still tasty!) on top. And I chopped and froze the rest of the green onion and saved the roots to plant in my garden. Boom.