Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing?

I've done okay today. Yay! We have beans in the IP for dinner. I'll probably have some. Only "sugar" I've had is a small banana.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - what about plain popcorn or making smaller bags of cheese popcorn so that it limits how much you can eat? I take fruit as well - tangerines (cuties) off our tree are my favorite but they are almost all gone. You could also cut up whatever your favorite crunchy raw veggies are; carrots, celery, pepper slices, zucchini, etc.
    I take nuts and sometimes I make a 'trail mix' of nuts with some raisins or other dried fruit and a few dark chocolate chips so there is a touch of sweet with the salty nuts.

I had a huge burger with bacon and blue cheese for dinner last night along with a 3oz glass of beer and it was heaven. Worth running for almost 3 hours 😁
    We got home tonight and had El Pollo (Mexican) chicken since the cupboards and fridge were pretty empty. I will need to shop tomorrow.

Also just have to mention they gave us bananas in our bags after the race. Nothing unusual about that. I wasn't interested in eating it and unloaded my bag at the hotel to find the biggest banana I have ever seen - has to be the equivalent of at least 3 normal bananas. I am hoping to cut it up and eat it over a few days - I can't imagine anyone being able to eat it all at once. Pretty sure you could make a banana cream pie out of just that one banana.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,005 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Thanks for the suggestions. I have some carrots in my fridge, so that's a definite possibility.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Oh, @shanaber that burger sounds like heaven.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Mmm. I love giant bananas! I try to buy little ones so they get eaten. The calories can be a little much. When we were in Hawaii, we saw avocados three times the size we see here. Although I’m not sure if they were Haas or the Florida type ones, that tend to be larger.

I’m determined to do better today. At the store yesterday I made sure no junk was in our cart. I got apples and oranges and the three bananas. The store has been out of jalapeños and mushrooms for the last week, no idea why. I think I have the stuff to make a chicken cacciatore type soup, which I said I was going to do last week and didn’t. I’m hoping that the snacking in overdrive is a lack of planning.

Shopping cart. I tried to get my mfp friends involved in a shopping cart game where you post a pic of your cart contents in the home feed. No one played. I thought it was a great game. Don’t we all look at others carts all the time? Yesterday I saw a young family buy 6 two liters of sodas, 2 large jars of pickles, a bag of Doritos and what looked to be a cake mix. I thought maybe it’s just a bday party. The kids were 3-5 years old. Nearly every cart i came across was filled with junk, not just poor choices- absolute junk. Seeing people in such poor health that they have to use the motorized cart to take their haul home, is sad.
    It was surreal yesterday. I heard a mother say that she wasn’t paying 3$ for single serving Mac and cheese, I think it was- don’t disagree (pass on pre made crap food). As I picked up my 3.49$ bag of apples, I wondered if she’d balk at the price of apples. I understand when money is tight, poor quality food seems to be the cheap choice. But it’s not. Your buying cancer, diabetes, lethargy, migraines, tummy troubles, and illness. If there’s a movement to eat better, it’s not happening here. Do you see this in your neighborhood? Do people not care? Do they not see? I’m not judging. We all like crap food and can’t help but to like crap food, the brain loves the easy get. I’m just shocked and disheartened that we’re not moving in the right direction here. I think we live in the 49th healthiest state.

Today’s to do: baby monster back to the vet (he’s really out growing the “monster”, and I may need give him a new nick name- Linus might work since he has a sucky blanket). He’s lumpy Linus today. He has, I’m hoping, just a 3D quarter size abscess on his back. Neurotic me worries it something sinister. But it probs just an abscess. My baby cat has one too about this age. They play in the flower bed and i suspect they get poked by the yucca. I did trim the spines off and will replant/ relocate it in the fall. Or it’s from playing with the other male cat. Cat scratches and bites have so much bacteria.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Hope your baby monster/Linus is doing ok!
    Honestly don't pay too much attention to other people's shopping carts except when they are unloading them in front of me in the checkout line. I do hate seeing people, especially with kids, loading up on crappy food, sugar cereals and sodas. DH and I have been watching a show on CNN called Chasing Life with Dr Sanjay Gupta. He is going all over the world to see how people are doing better to live longer. He did one on Italy and was showing how they feed the kids fresh made food and vegetables and it is served to them (no lunch line or trays). The kids have learned to love it and it was way cheaper per child than what we spend here for the crap kids get in schools. Also they fought to keep McDonalds out with people picketing, etc. I don't know if it is just in the smaller towns but they are really trying to get people to learn to eat unprocessed, fresh local foods (local produce, meat from local farms and butchers, etc. - not even frozen anything. They are moving to not eat anything imported (vegetables and fruit are better the less miles traveled)

This started a discussion in the car coming home yesterday about whether this could ever be done in the US. I don't think you could feed all the people in the big cities all fresh local foods just because of the scale of it. You would have to have farms right in the cities and not miles and miles away. Here in CA we grow a ton of fresh produce but it is a couple 100 miles from any of the big metro areas. DH is convinced that even if it could be done parents wouldn't buy in because they are too busy and cooking fresh at home is too time consuming. However I see a trend of parents I am friends with here and IRL (very small sample size) who are cooking fresh and cooking and prepping on the weekends for the week ahead. I would love to see a study of parents with kids under 18 of what and how they eat and prepare food. I also think it is very much a socio-economic issue with people in the low to middle incomes having the least availability to fresh foods, especially in big cities.

My mom was a social worker 40+ years ago working with moms in Idaho. These were very low income, unemployed moms and Idaho only provided assistance for 2 years. They had required programs to help them train and apply for jobs, etc. Most of them were young and had come from generations of poverty. My mom worked with them on nutrition among other things like cleanliness (how to run a vacuum! many had never had one and didn't know how). She tried to teach them how to make the assistance $$ go further and how you could go to the grocery store and buy ingredients for a healthy dinner for several days on what they would spend at McDonalds for a burger and fries... It has been a problem in this country for a long time and I think will continue to be. The evidence is the rate of obesity among adults and unfortunately kids! Oh and we have exported it to other countries like Mexico and India which both now have a huge problem with it and diabetes that they never had before :(

Wow - sorry this went off on a tangent I didn't see coming! Just wish there was an easy way to fix it. Did you ever read 'Fit or Fat' or 'Fast Food Nation'? in one of those they talked about the combination of fat, sugar and salt on the brain and the addictive power of it. I think I need to go find and reread it. If I recall it was that any one of those by itself wasn't too bad (sugar being the worst) but put them all together and it is a combination our brains will crave!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Baby Linus is ok. No spinal tumor, just a stinky abscess.

If large cities would try to make community gardens a thing, (employment opportunity for city workers? Hire a gardner and a few nutritionist!) I think that could help greatly. I imagine kids wanting to eat the veggies they tended. Families are going to have to adapt to back to cooking. Meat can be done in the IP or slow cooker, veggies don't take long to prepare. And even if you drown them in butter or cheese, it's gotta be better than prepackaged or fast food.

I had that nutrition class and seeing these "kids" that don't understand healthy and the typical family diet, is shocking. I love hearing @shanaber that there are some programs offered to people. There's just not enough to get the forward change we need, yet. We have so may fast food places here. They "outlawed" the overly large soda in the NE, why then is it okay to let parents buy 12 L of sodas? I know we don't want big brother dictating our food choices, but there has to be some incentive for change. Iwant Ben and Jerry's and Doritos too, but I don't wanna be sick. I don't want 70 or 80+ to feel like I'm waiting for death and bound by doctor visits. I love my docs, but not where I want to see them like that.

I like shows like that. I'll have to look for the ones you mentioned. If you do Netflix, the Big Ward is good. I liked Ask the Doctors, and think one about something Explained is good.

• shanaber
    Options
    I agree on the neighborhood gardens and more farmer's markets. Some of the schools here are doing school gardens because so many of the kids don't know where the food comes from, how it is grown (how easy it is to have a garden with things you like), etc. I think there should also be more kids cooking classes. I have not met a little kid yet who doesn't love to play in the kitchen and make stuff. They need to be involved in the the preparation too even if at first it makes the process longer. Maybe when people get their food stamps they go to a nutrition class or nutritionist to help them make the most of what they get and they get some seeds or little plants to start a small garden - even in an apartment you can grown herbs, lettuce and carrots.

See we can brainstorm and fix this problem! :)

I will check out the shows I have watched Something Explained and liked it.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Ok. My do better is giving up animal products. Where’s @sarahthes ? Anyone else give it up? Wasn’t there someone else? I’ve had bouts of vegetarian diet, ate it during my twin pregnancy (they were 8lbs 1oz girl, and 6lbs 12oz boy).

Got me watching What the Health and just started forks over knives. I’ll admit I’ve been afraid to watch the latter because I wanted to remain ignorant. It time for me to embrace the better.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Is everyone on summer hiatus?

Day one, no animal products.

Not so hard. I’d rather snack anyway so I’ve grabbed fruit, brine green olives, and avocado. I don’t like brown rice so we’ll put a pin in the do better there since I have 20-30 pounds of basmati rice, (I forgot we already bought some, and bought more). Looks like rice and veg for dinner then. I miss fat. I don’t wanna give up fat adapted. I don’t do well on a higher carb diet, although today I only ate because it was time and I wasn’t starving. Idk... skinny-heart disease, fluffy-save the animals/planet/my health? I can lean on the coconut oil for a bit I guess. My protein is crap.. like 6g. So... ok IF I don’t need 50-70g daily. Even getting 30-40 is going to take some research.

I sat outside to get some sun and have heat rash already. Horrible. It’s like 82 outside. Boy am I gonna have a hard time heat training.
  • shanaber
    Options
    The only thing I would caution is asking your doctor (ortho surgeon doctor) if you need high protein while the bone is still healing. That was something they were on my and all I had was a 'small' stress fracture to heal.
    I found a savory dip/sauce at Costco today that I really like. I was going to recommend it @elise4270, because it is made from almonds and has low carbs but 9g of fat/serving. It has good things in it, basic ingredients - almonds, grapeseed oil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, spices and unfortunately something called Bragg Liquid Aminos which is soy protein :(
  • shanaber
    Options
    Also @Elise4270, I thought of you and Monster kitten (Linus) when I saw this on FB and had to save it to share w/you :)
    4xt6y2sn5jl6.jpg
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    The only thing I would caution is asking your doctor (ortho surgeon doctor) if you need high protein while the bone is still healing. That was something they were on my and all I had was a 'small' stress fracture to heal.
    I found a savory dip/sauce at Costco today that I really like. I was going to recommend it @elise4270, because it is made from almonds and has low carbs but 9g of fat/serving. It has good things in it, basic ingredients - almonds, grapeseed oil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, spices and unfortunately something called Bragg Liquid Aminos which is soy protein :(

Ya know he has not said one word about nutrition. I figured he'd least tell me to take calcium, I am almost 50. Only thing I was told, was the vitamin D, which was by my 1st surgeon. New doc expects the bone to be healed in the next few weeks. Then rebuild muscle.

I have some fresh mozzarella that I won't let go to waste. Some protein there. I'll watch it. Dh gets protein shakes I can have if I get concerned. And I may indulge in a bit of cheese.

Dh is thinking about doing some form of keto. Hilarious. It probably won't last long, he's really not a meat eater but I might have plenty of veggies for him.

That dip sounded good until the soy. Dang it. I found some almond powder while hunting the coconut milk. I put some in my curry. I can do almonds, but this powder will give me a headache.

Tonight's Veggie curry was yummy. Should be enough left over to have tomorrow too.

Love the meme. Too cute!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I made more bread today. Everyone complained about the calories. I even threw in ground flax seed and ground almond flour to make it healthier.

I ate all my calories in bread today. A good decision because all the veggies yesterday gave me gi issues.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    A low calorie snack done right.
    ujtote9xj7hy.jpg
  • Elise4270
    Options
    So... I like fat adapted. I need more veggies in my diet.

Rethought my goals.
    Giving up the animal/saturated fat in exchange for better fats.
    Decreasing my animal products, try to eliminate dairy.
    Add leaner meats.
    Eat lots of veggies
    Pass on refined/preserved foods
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I'm leaving for Florida today. This is the short driving day, only about 4.5 hours. My snack foods are: carrots, walnuts, cheese & crackers, apple slices, oranges and protein bars. I'll let you know how I do with those after I stop tonight.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @elise4270 - love the picture 😁
    I don't think I could eliminate meat or animal/dairy from my diet. I love a good steak. I like chicken. I love cheese and Greek yogurt is a staple for me. I have been trying to eat less cheese though and not have it every day. I also love veggies so making/having a big salad is always high on my choices. I'm just not great at doing the prep for it.

Do you all look at where your veggies come from? I am so surprised that in CA where we grow so much that the majority of what is in my grocery is from Mexico or LA. I really would like to do more local produce so I guess that will mean finding a farmer's market that has it.

@quilteryoyo - great choices for snacks! Have a good, safe drive!

I have discovered by looking at my food log and run diary that I cannot eat beans the night before a run. That seems to be the commonality in my GI issues on my runs. Every time I had problems we had beans the night before. I love beans too... guess I need to have them only on nights before a non-running day.
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2019
    Options
    All of our fruits and veggies are from Mexico, South America, Florida, or California. I guess apples still come from Washington. There is supposed to be a farmers marker here, I just haven’t found it. I go by, and no one is there. We did get a garden going this year, so that’s something. Dh ate his first two jalapeños yesterday, said they were warm and sweet. He wants to do a greenhouse back in the woods in a clearing we have. So I maybe could do hot house tomato’s and lettuce.

With my renewed goals I made a Walmart shopping trip. The online ordering sure helps with the do better choices. The inside of my fridge is beautiful. I’m very proud of my planning and stick-to-it choices, (did eat challah bread today- but hey, it is homemade).

Spicy v8
    Lean ground turkey (2oz)
    Handful of sea salt almonds
    Coffee
    Apple challah

I’ve planned dinner to be veggie curry left over. I wanted to add turkey to it and pass on the rice but I’m undecided on my actual daily meat goal. I can eat all the meat. I may skip the rice and do meat since I had bread today.

Safe travels today @quilteryoyo!
    @shanaber Haha! Sorry about the bean runs! Its pretty common to watch the high fiber foods when running.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Thanks @Elise4270 - we've always eaten a lot of different types of beans and beans added to things as well as other fiber so not sure why I am having 'bean runs' (lol) now.