Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Not sure if @RunsOnEspresso is still around following this thread but thought I would mention that I found some really tasty (I think) gluten free crackers/chips at Costco. They are made by Milton and they had them with those savory almond dips I mentioned the other day. Which also BTW is really good on a turkey wrap. I put just a bit of the cilantro chili dip on my wrap today along with spinach and turkey of course and it was delicious!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,005 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the well wishes on the drive. I have successfully completed the first portion of it. The snacks I took provided the needed crunch and protein, I think. Seemed to work out good. I didn't eat any of the oranges today, but had some of everything else. I did have one segment where I got pretty sleepy, despite eating. Driving by yourself is hard.

After I checked into the hotel, I went to do a run on the treadmill in the fitness center, but I couldn't get the TV to turn on. I sure wasn't going to try the treadmill without anything to distract me. So, I decided to go for a walk outside. I figured it would be safe, since it was in the daytime. I walked around the group of hotels here and then on down the road. There was an office building with a nice pond that I decided to walk by. I went on out the road and it turned out to loop back to the hotels. A lap was almost exactly a mile. The second time, I didn't do the complete loop because on the first time around there was an irate woman on her cell phone, cussing out someone she worked for, I assumed. There was something about being illegally written up, and other things. I was afraid her work rage might turn into road rage or people rage in general. So, I only went part way and then back around. I walked quickly, fastest I have ever walked, that I know of. I did 2.5 miles in 35:23 minutes for a 4.2 mph pace.

Then, I went to Fatz, hoping for some real food and a margarita. I usually like Fatz, but either my taste buds were off or this particular Fatz is awful. I managed to eat part of it and drink the margarita, but none of it tasted good at all. So, that was a waste of calories.

I have almost a 6 hour drive tomorrow. I think the snacks will be good. I'm sure my step-daughter will have something good to eat once I get there.

• shanaber
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - hope the longer portion of your drive was uneventful and that you had a good visit with your step-daughter. Also - I have never heard of Fatz but I am sorry it was disappointing!

@Elise4270 - a friend of mine posted an article on FB from the LA Times about a study that was done to look at the affect of processed foods on weight. (you can see the article I think here). Within that article it referenced a Public Health paper that is fascinating. I defines 4 categories of food from unprocessed to ultra-processed. I also want to look at some of their reference papers and studies but haven't yet.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the read @shanaber! I'm going to check it out. So much mainstream conflicting information, it's easy to get lost.
  • shanaber
    Options
    What's on everyone's plate for today or this week? I didn't do great with eating other than dinner over the weekend...
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I'm trying to stop the run away weight gain. Everyday the scale is less desirable than the previous day. I'm up a good 5 pounds from surgery. I'm hoping some is PMS and carb weight.

I'm hoping in the next few weeks to be ready to eat at a deficit and get some exercise. I'm hopeful, but don't think exercise is going to be a thing outside of swimming.

I let the calorie goal go sideways with bone healing. I suppose I can't regret that. The bone should be healed, I may cut some calories back. I just hate it. It takes me the better part of a year to lose 5 pounds. Upside, I can see more muscle on my left Quad (non-recient surgery side), and with all the crutches; my arms are stronger.

What am I eating? Apples, banana, avocado, I ate so many almonds yesterday that I had a migraine. So no more nuts of any kind. I ate nachos. Think I'm eating because I'm restless. There's chicken thighs to cook, I'm holding out dh puts them on the grill.
  • shanaber
    Options
    I did ok today other than that almost half my protein came from non-food sources (protein powder and protein bars). I am really trying to eat more/better less processed foods and I think the protein powder is ok, definitely processed but only 4 ingredients. The bars, well they are a whole nuther story. I have to find a way to get more protein for snacks w/o the bars...
    Took some soup out of the freezer for dinner and it reminded me how good it was. Also took out pork chops that I will need to figure out what to do with tomorrow for dinner. I discovered that the 3 packages of chicken breasts I put in the freezer last weekend all froze together so I will need to cook all 6 of them when I take them out.

Finally our BBQ died... DH wants his brother to come help replace it as the new one requires a power outlet that the old one didn't need. Power is there it just need to add an outlet inside the brick. Unfortunately BIL is going to Europe in a couple of weeks, until the end of July and DH doesn't want to 'bother him'. I may have to go buy a small weber - don't think I can go all summer without a bbq!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Went to bed without dinner, I was only slightly annoyed with the tummy; scale is down a bit today.

Travel day. So I'll hit Panera. I've given myself permission for half a steak and arugula sandwich with extra steak, a diet soda and an apple. Lunch will be closer to 2-3, so the all day fasting will be good to reset this snacks behaviour.

What trouble are you staying away from today?
    Me? Panera cookies.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I’ll admit I was a might sad when that half of a sandwich with extra meat and avocado and no chips was set down before me. ‘Twas tasty, but I’m already sorta hungry.
  • shanaber
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I have done well so far today... eating well and staying on track but I need to find a recipe for the pork chops for dinner tonight. I did find a Jambalaya recipe for the IP for all that chicken that is frozen together. Need to get some sausage for it though...

@elise4270 - Panera sandwiches always seem disappointing to me and I am not sure why. I almost always get a salad now instead.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Well, despite taking healthier snacks for the trip, I ate poorly while I was gone. I'm only home for a couple of days and then off to VA for my niece's baby shower. So, I'm not even going to worry about food until next week.
  • shanaber
    Options
    I found a great recipe for the pork chops in the IP (Pork Chops with Bacon Apple Glaze). It was very simple really but tasted delicious and the macros were great!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I’ve been eating out a lot lately - calories within my goals but too much sodium so I’m up on the scale. Lettuce wrap hamburger and fries Saturday. Italian food Sunday. Sushi yesterday. I feel happy that I’ve found a way to stuff myself on sushi without going over my calories or carb limit. Normally about a roll and a half (traditional rolls, not those big suckers with mayo and such) is my limit and anything over that spikes me (I have a very low tolerance for rice.) One roll isn’t enough food for me to feel satisfied, two rolls is definitely too much for my blood glucose, and sushi doesn’t really keep so I feel bad throwing away half a roll. Sashimi is better as far as carbs, but it’s expensive for not enough food, and when I eat just sashimi I miss the flavor of sushi.

So I learned that the place near me will do a sushi-sashimi combo dinner! One roll, four pieces of nigiri, 9 pieces assorted sashimi, miso soup and a salad with ginger dressing! That is just about exactly at my carbs limit, a ton of food, and scratches all the itches for a reasonable price. The only problem is I found myself stuffed but not feeling satisfied afterwards. Hmm... took a look at my macros... hardly any FAT! So I ate half an avocado and felt absolutely perfectly stuffed. I will definitely be doing that again soon.

Today was bbq chicken with coleslaw, fruit salad, one of my husband’s bbq dry ribs, and a few of my husband’s sweet potato fries.

Breakfast for the past 4 days has been steel cut oatmeal with Greek yogurt, strawberries, almond butter, and cacao powder. I love strawberry season.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Well, I got on the scale this morning. It wasn't pretty! I gained 5 pounds while I was gone for 6 days, despite doing better, I thought. I'm sure at least some of it is water from too much sodium. Maybe if I'm "good" today and tomorrow ,some of the weight will disappear, only to be found in Virginia over the weekend. ;)
  • shanaber
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - I find that I typically gain 3-4 pounds in water weight/bloat when I travel and it is usually gone within a couple of days. It could be sodium or just eating foods I don't normally eat and way more carbs than protein. Hope it is for you too.

@rheddmobile - I am not a raw fish/sushi fan but I am glad you found a way to enjoy it and get just what you need! We go thru cycles it seems of eating out too much and it doesn't even seem to relate to being too busy to cook. Lately I have been on this quest to eat better/less processed homemade foods so no take out really except a salad from Panera which I don't think is overly processed. Not sure how long this will last though - I guess until I have nothing to cook/need to go shopping and it is dinner time 😆
  • Elise4270
    Options
    How about a game?

I challenge everyone to eat an apple this week, and have breakfast at least 3 days.

Any return challenges?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    No challenge. I have breakfast every day, and at least one apple every day. The challenge is to keep the total calories down to where the weight will trend sideways until I start running again. I keep thinking I can relax the eating because I'm close to running again . . . and then I'm not ready to run yet.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I wish someone would challenge me to a bag of Cheetos and some Ben and Jerry’s 🤪.

@MobyCarp You are ahead of me with the regular breakfast. I don’t usually have breakfast but I’m good about grabbing apples daily, especially this time of year since they are usually really good ones.

——————————————————————————————
    My appetite is manageable finally. I’m over the horrible constant snacking. Chicken tortilla soup today without the cheese and chips so far. Dh is off to a meeting tonight, so I’ll fend for myself. I should probably make a plan.
  • shanaber
    Options
    I have breakfast every day but not an apple... does a tangerine work? I like apples in November when they are really crisp and not mushy. I guess I can get some apples and give it a try though.
    Didn't eat enough today during the day, had a 6" Subway turkey sandwich for a late lunch before training and then Italian from our fav restaurant for dinner. Haven't actually had it in a really long time because they moved the restaurant to a nearby town. Clearly not enough protein to meet my macros. Got in tons of exercise though at the agility trial with well over 12000 steps just for that.

@Elise4270 - thought of you as I was leaving the grocery store tonight. I got a $2 off coupon for Halo Pops! :)