Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    @rheddmobile - medicare doesn't pay for in home care anywhere I don't think. She is in a rehab facility and they will pay for 20 days there so I am hoping they don't send her home too soon. I would really like to see that she can get up on her own and be able to walk a bit again with her walker at least to the bathroom. I am also going to look into some assisted living places as that may actually be cheaper than having someone in the house with her. Hopefully it will all be temporary but I am not convinced that will be the case.

@quilteryoyo - I am trying to manage the stress and getting to run a bit more again is helping. I haven't done back to back days since I injured my foot but I will be getting out again today!

Food today @Elise4270 - we need to go to Costco so I don't know yet... I am out of yogurt, out of berries, out of chicken or any other kind of meat for that matter. I have some tuna salad left and I had a sandwich yesterday and may have that for lunch again today. Just don't know about dinner, could end up being Panera.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I had an exam today and thought I'd drown my sorrow with a taco casa burrito. But I had an alternate plan, oranges. Now that I'm home and have eaten my 2 oranges, I'm wondering why I didn't get that burrito.

My baby cat, that decided to be an outside cat when dh got the baby monster, is back inside today. I'm loving it, but am now overly concerned that she's ill, even though I have no reason to think that. Maybe it's just gotten hot enough and wet enough that she decided, it's time. I also gave her a CBD dose yesterday. I'm wondering if that may have helped.

I should have gone to the park and tried to walk after the exam. We had such a flood yesterday, being outside in this humidity isn't for the feign of heart. Or gimpy.

Suppose I'll make a soft corn taco with the left over ribeye meat. Maybe a nap with the baby since I've been up since 4.
    What's in your wallet mouth?
  • shanaber
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @Elise4270 - are you back in school again? I thought you were finished so you must have signed up for another session? Oranges are yummy but I agree I would have had a hard time picking them over a burrito. Hope the tacos were a good alternative!

We had takeout Italian for dinner tonight. Delicious but too much carbs overall today even though I was only at 1500 calories for the day.

I am not eating well during the day and rushing around to take care of things for our neighbor friend is making it worse. She is having pretty much daily meltdowns because muscular rehab is hard and now the rehab facility wants to release her. I am hoping she can stay there though another week at least. If not it means another change, another new place and new people to deal with. Tomorrow I am going to look at 'group homes' that offer respite care. Essentially in between care until she can be independently at home again although she may never be able to drive again. She will be there for a month or 2 and it is so expensive. I don't know how people manage all of this especially if you are all alone. :(
    I am so glad I can get out and run and get away from all of it... It just makes me so sad.

What's on your plans for the weekend? I will cook some chicken tomorrow with a big salad and Sunday we are going out with the BIL/SIL probably for Mexican food. We are also planning to go see RocketMan!
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @shanaber ((hugs)) to your neighbor and you for caring for her. Yes, I am taking the second anatomy and physiology class this summer.

My food plans this weekend are trying to resist all the poor choices dh bring's home. There's s a pint of Ben and Jerry's, he bought pizza and lots of corn chips. I did get some lime fruit bars, only 60 calories. I looked at the Yasso bars, they has soy.

Maybe I'll fix some veggies and eat those oranges and pass on the 'za.

ETA oh no, while putting groceries away, I found a bag of lime, cracked pepper potato chips.
  • shanaber
    Options
    I thought DH was cutting out sugar? I guess not really and or he replaced it with just more/different carbs?
    Spent the day looking at the homes and found 2 that were really pretty nice. She does not want to leave the rehab center so it is going to be a challenge getting her to decide. I may force the issue by handing it over to the case manager and let her deal with the fear and reticence. I got her to smile though by having a FT with my DD - they have a connection and the two of them pick up like they have always been together. DD was trying to convince her to move to Seattle and live with her 😊
    DH decided I shouldn't cook so he went out for Chinese. I made healthy choices but they use SO MUCH SALT - why??? It would taste just as good, better and my mouth wouldn't be shriveled and burning if the used half the salt or even less...
    Tomorrow night we are going out for Mexican. Not sure yet what I will have but should get in a decent run/walk tomorrow to burn off the salt and allow me to have the calories.

We are enjoying all the local fruit that has started to show up in the markets. Strawberries, peaches, nectarines and melons! Yum!!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    We had our annual Relay For Life event yesterday. For some reason, I was extra stressed about things, so I ate a lot of really bad things....an entire large bag of cheddar cheese popcorn, cashews, pizza, and ice cream. Hopefully next week will be better!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    On the positive side, I walked over 20,000 steps before my watch started over at midnight.
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Yes, DH was cutting out sugar. I don't know what happened. I think he enjoys being home stuff I shouldn't eat.

@shanaber it would be lovely for your neighbor to go to Seattle. Eric's gma moved there for about a year with her daughter. I think she missed everyone here and moved back. She's 98. I think Seattle would be fine, good food, kind of a hub for forward thinking... Bet it's pretty. Maybe when it comes down to it, she'll decided to go to Seattle rather than any assisted care facility without family.

I'm afraid of the scale. I have really got to get back on track.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Yah @elise4270 - I think she would enjoy it for a few days and then would want to come back here. She is terrified of flying so we would have to either get her on a train or drive and I am not sure she would be willing to do either. She is really a peculiar stubborn old bird with lots of ideas about what she can't do which limits her in so many ways!

Today I am actually taking a rest day from her. DH went to visit her and took her some donuts. I went for a long run instead :)

I have done well on food... I did have the equivalent of an entire donut - just cutting pieces off the flavors I wanted to try :) I had cold cantaloupe after my run and it was so refreshing and delicious! Followed that with a berry smoothy. Tonight we are going out with family for Mexican and I am going to try to limit my chip intake, maybe...
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber Eric’s gma is like that too. She never worked or even learned to drive. Fiercely stubborn. She didn’t wanna fly either but was convinced when her daughter came down to get her. It took quite a fight. I’m sure no one looks forward to the day they give up their autonomy due to illness or age. I’m looking forward to all the grilled cheese sandwiches I can eat. Which, thus far, is my only stipulation.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Food plans next week?

I'm going to try so very hard to get back to eating the fat adapted way. Man I can't seem to shake eating everything. I know some/all of it stress, but I have got to change this behaviour.
    Mexican food
    Pizza
    Ben and Jerry's
    Horrible. I can feel myself getting fatter. I mean, really. I can feel all those excess molecules being shoved into my fat cells. My clothes are tight. I told myself, so what, wear bigger clothes and do better. Ok fat self. Ugh.

Tomorrow's plan is fruit fruit and fruit. I know I need to get away from the sugar. So, maybe I'll just try to not eat all day, til 3-4 and have veggies and meat. Ohh I have chili meat that needs fixed. Must do better. Must. It's non-negotiable this week.
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I'm off to an acceptable "start" today. Somewhat relieved that perhaps some of this bloat and snacking was PMS, now it's just "surprise MS", a cycle of 14 days. I won't complain, the one before was 50 something and one before 80 something.

I'd been looking at classes for fall semester, ya know, since I can't accidently work myself to a triathlon, I'll see if I can work myself accidentally to a second bachelor's degree. I got a call today from my Alma Mater, I applied twice but was accepted the first go, I just don't know it, hence the second app. So yay! I might be looking at classes outside of the JuCo here, where I have a staggering 95 credit hours after this semester.

I've also looked at another local 4year college, but am unsure that they offer all the classes I want at this satellite location. We'll see. So, looks like I could be in for a full load again next semester. Oh the academic torture! But I went back because I needed a little success in my life, work was unfulfilling and I needed something that made me feel valuable or validated my existence. A few interesting classes turned into a degree pursuit.

I know this thread is about food. But life stress and food are intertwined.

I think I've got today. I realized I never fixed the acorn squash so... I may try chili and acorn squash, subbing the cornbread. But I'm still going to wait until afternoon to eat/prep.

I'm still refusing the scale.

My gimp leg.
    I pushed this last week and just got frustrated. But I think there may be a bit of pay off. I can see quad muscle now rather than the hot dog leg look. My hair gait (see what auto correct does to me?), does feel a bit more steady, and I'm hoping this knee is on it way to calming down. Hip shot Wednesday. That means Dr Deamy and Panera. Which is acceptable for having to get up at 430 AM.

• shanaber
    Options
    I am excited about your 2nd degree progress. I keep thinking I should do something like that and then DH plans a fun trip and I realize it just won't fit. I do think it is important to talk about life stresses because you are correct that they are definitely intertwined for most all of us.
    I suspect that as your gait evens out some of the other pains will go away? I hope so anyways! Enjoy your Dr. Dreamy visit - be sure to report back on how it goes and how he looks 🤣 All my docs are decidedly not cute. Hmmm maybe I need different docs!

I feel better after having a break yesterday from the elder care process. DH went to see her and took her donuts and she was happy. I will go later today to see her and hopefully make progress on a place to relocate her to that she will like.

I did ok last night at the Mexican restaurant. I did have a few chips but I didn't over do it. I also opted for a class of wine rather than filling up on beer. Had chicken fajitas instead of my favorite carnitas, not sure that one is any healthier than the other but chicken sounded healthier at least to me :) It is going to be over 100 here today and we have agility class. I am planning to fix chicken after class if I have the energy - I need to cook it soon. Chicken, fruit and a big salad is the plan.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber You might be able to find some online classes. This summer class is online and I just have to go into the testing center for exams. You could, maybe work trips around an online class.

I've done okay today. Can of tuna with mayo and an apple. I'm about to get cookin'.

I got on the scale. Ugh. Highest weight in a year.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Staying accountable.

I have more guniea eggs, so that means I hide them in bread or egg bites. I vowed to never make bread again (even though with guniea eggs is like half bread half bagel), least until the masses apologize and beg. So egg bites it is.

I really did better yesterday. I stuck to a plan for the most part. I did eat earlier, but chose an apple and tuna. One cat was being bonkers, so my solution was tuna water.
  • shanaber
    Options
    I did pretty well yesterday too. I seem to find myself eating lunch at 3 or later and then I am not hungry for dinner until 7:30 or 8. Not ideal. I am hoping if I get out to run earlier I will be eating at more normal times. Although I didn't run today, ate breakfast at 9 ran around doing errands all day and didn't eat lunch until 3:30 again. This needs to change!

It has also gotten ungodly hot and humid, just plain yucky out. Over 100 both yesterday and today. They are saying it will cool off 'soon' and I certainly hope so. I don't want to cook or eat really when it is like this. Also our (gas) grill died and we are waiting for the new one. My fallback is always grilled something when it is hot...
  • shanaber
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Also - where is everybody? @quilteryoyo, @rheddmobile, @hanlonsk and @MegaMooseEsq looking at you!

Has anyone heard from @sarahthes?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Also - where is everybody? @quilteryoyo, @rheddmobile, @hanlonsk and @MegaMooseEsq looking at you!

Has anyone heard from @sarahthes?

Hah, I've been having a challenging month in the food and weight department, but I'm doing and feeling pretty good right now. I haven't been around because I wasn't sure I wanted to talk about some stuff, but I feel okay talking about it now. Anyhow, I made grilled cheese for dinner and instead of making two sandwiches, as I usually do, I made one sandwich and some grilled zucchini slices. Yum, and also I don't feel over-full the way I do when I have two sandwiches. I'm back on the logging train, too, and feeling fine about it.

So the skinny (har har) is that I'm still struggling with calories largely because I really haven't figured out maintaining yet, but also complicated by the fact that we're back on the "let's try to have a baby" train. I am fairly sure I had a super-duper early miscarriage last month, which is weird to talk about because we think of miscarriages as this hugely traumatic thing (which they totally are sometimes!) but personally this was so early that it really just feels like part of the natural process. Nature's quality control!

That said, that little piece of oversharing is on topic because I just have no idea how to eat right now and the hormones have been on something of a rollercoaster. I don't want to mess up anything by cutting strictly the way I did earlier in the year, so I'm trying to stick to a small deficit, which is just so easy to overshoot. And on top of that I'm off of running AGAIN this week because of injury, so that's certainly not helping. So it goes!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq So sorry you're having a hard time on several fronts. I hope you are able to have a healthy baby soon. Maintenance is a hard thing. I can't help you, because I haven't mastered it yet myself.

I'm not doing very good on the food, or exercise, front so far this month. I agreed to basically work everyday at the daycare until they find replacements for the two teachers that quit the same class on the same day. I have the 6:30 am - 3:30 pm shift. I AM NOT a morning person, so this is really hard for me. Then, I never seem to get home at a decent time, like I thought I would. So, exercise is falling by the wayside. Since I am still technically a substitute, I do have a little more flexibility than the regular teachers. For instance, today I left from 9:45 to 1 in order to play tennis. I just don't feel that I can do that everyday. It wouldn't be fair to the other teacher in the class or to the kids. They do better if the same teachers are there most of the time. (This is the 4 & 5 year old class.) I'll figure it out about the time the new teacher starts. LOL

• Elise4270
    Options
    ...and now I want grilled cheese.

Good luck @MegaMooseEsq !