Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Today’s food? No clue. I have the stuff for chicken cacciatore, I could do get motivated to throw that together. This week is going to be a challenge for me. With this summer class, each week is 3 chapters of anatomy and physiology and all the corresponding assignments; labs, quizzes, reviews, a paper, and the exam Thursday and the lab practical.... and I’m taking a test for admittance to program at my alma mater.... no pressure. And no time to stew. Haha, “stew” cacciatore is a kind of stew!

My house is at the dirty point of cleaning, so I’ll have to work that in on study breaks.

My appetite is under control, hip is starting to get a little cranky; which I expected. Those steroid shots don’t usually last more than a few weeks. I’m okay with it hurting, knowing what it is and it can and might get better, really anxious to get that scheduled. But no longer worried about the cranky hip.

Today’s a new start! What are you going to make happen?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    edited June 2019
    @elise4270 - no doubt you will manage all that coursework and exams! I know I am actually better organized when I am busy. What is the fix for the torn labrum? Do they do something arthroscopically (is that a word)?

DH is going to Vegas this afternoon for a weeklong bowling tournament (watching) so I am on my own for dinners. Not sure yet what I will fix but whatever it is it will be pretty simple... Lots of errands today and puppy class this afternoon.
  • Elise4270
    Oohh @shanaber, I love it when dh is gone for meal planning. I don't know why, but I always feel like I eat better. No excuses to eat poorly.

Ya, I'll be fine this week. I just like to be more prepared for exams. DH thinks I study a lot. I do, but I told him I'm not that smart and need the added time. I wonder about my classmates, if they work, have families and this class? Yech.

The labrum is probably an arthroscopic surgery. I am assuming it's more than just the torn labrum. The doc that did my shot asked if I had any acetabular abnormalities... As he looked at my hip on x-ray...🤔 I replied "probably". Figure he didn't wanna be the one to say "yup this is messed up and you need xyz done".

They all seem to be a little delicate with me, like I'm going to be one of those patients who needs several surgeries just to be able to function as I get older... Ya know, they don't just don't seem to want to come out and say "you probably need n surgeries to fix this mess". That's hard for a person to come to terms with. And a patient with hope recovers better I think I need 2 more, and one or two after that to remove screws. But... If not, then it'll be a nice surprise for me. But I already know the hip socket with the labrum tear, is too deep and surgeon 1 was obviously concerned about that. I'll find out more in August.

My last x-rays from surgeon 2 on CD to take to surgeon 1 came back with a frowny face on the CD envelope. I think it was from surgeon1's office. So....😟 I'm just hoping/praying/wishing, that I can stay on disability as long as I need it.

Enough about me. All going well with your neighbor? What amazing self-care meals are you planning?
  • shanaber
    Wow I wonder what the frowny face means... that would bug me not to know!

Today was a mess... I was on the phone trying to get someone to help figure out the medication mixup (discharged with a medication list and no medications). Since she is discharged the case manager apparently won't/can't help, there is no way to reach the nursing team or the hospital doctor who wrote the discharge and medication orders. Pharmacy can't help because they can't find the orders and can't see the discharge orders. I got out for my run late, got home late almost missing DH leaving and then on the phone (on hold) for hours with patient services. I finally got to schedule an appointment with a doctor who would review the medications and make sure the order was in. Made a quick dash to buy her supplies at Target and drop them off then pickup Hobbes for agility class. Got home and had to head back to the pharmacy where the meds were still not available despite all the calls... I hate Kaiser Permanente and will never ever have insurance with them. By the time I got out of the pharmacy I was starving, my head was pounding and I had no idea what I was going to eat - Panera to the rescue! Had a salad and some Mac and cheese. Thanks for asking @Elise4270 - probably more information than you bargained for...

Tomorrow night I am going with a bunch of friends to see Andre Bocelli at the Hollywood Bowl. We are taking picnic items and are going to make a day of it, exploring the Hollywood hills and some of the homes in the hills that we can see from the bowl.
    Thursday night I am going to see one of my favorite Alt bands, Local Natives, with my trainer and his GF. Probably eating out Thursday too - hoping some place different as they are real foodies.
  • Elise4270
    @shanaber That scenario sounds frustrating. I can’t imagine why no one had orders, or discharge instructions or a simple sit down conversation regarding scripts and information.

I was able to ignore the frown for almost 2 weeks. I can’t imagine the doc doing something so “unprofessional”. Maybe it’s it just someone’s way of marking it as uploaded into the system. Nothing about that visit lead me to believe anything was unexpected. I have x-rays each visit with each doc, so they are watching something close or bilking insurance. Today I got a letter stating I wasn't cleared to go back to work.... I knew that, but .... maybe work asked for it, or the docs are plotting my next step. Haha!

Foood food food!

I ate too much yesterday. I made flour-less cookies with almond butter. They were probably one of the best cookies I’ve had and took just 25 minutes start to finish. Then I ate 4 of them with ice cream.

Plans today... idk still studying so I think perhaps a grilled cheese this afternoon. I’ll even try out the mayo in place of butter.
  • shanaber
    mmmm.... - recipe for the cookies please!
    Are you happy about not being cleared for work yet? I can't imagine you could work and be up on your leg so much yet?

When I was a kid my mom always used mayo instead of butter on our grilled cheese. DH hates mayo so I have always used butter but haven't made one in ages... hmmm I have mayo, DH is gone, maybe that will be one of my 'self-care' meals 😊

Hollywood Bowl and Andrea Bocelli tonight with a picnic before - can't wait!!
  • Elise4270
    Ya, there’s just no way I’d be okay 40-50 hours a week sitting (hip, knee or butt pain) or standing on this leg (knee, hip pain)... A Walmart trip... well half the time I sit in the truck and let dh go in or do online orders if I need to shop. It’s just too much. It can start off fine, then turn bad suddenly. Either knee or the hip or that dumb butt nerve is being compressed... which is why, so far, I havent gone for a walk unless I have dh with me. He offered to carry me last Sunday at church when my knee went stupid. All the more reason to lay off the ice cream, if dh has to carry me..

The cookies.

1c almond butter
    1tsp vanilla
    1tsp baking soda
    2/3c brown sugar or coconut sugar. I used brown
    1 lg egg
    2/3 c choc chips

Bake 350 9-11 min. Cool. Makes 16 cookies.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    @shanaber: Mayo all the way! I don't think you can taste it once it gets grilled up, but I know some people have strong feelings about Mayo. Did you read that ridiculous "Millennials killed Mayo" articles that was floating around a year or so ago? It basically boiled down to "no one likes my gross mayo-based fruit salad, WAHHH". As an old Millennial, I get a kick out of those kind of articles. Murder away, my pretties!

Took my mom out to breakfast this morning and now husband wants to go out to dinner tonight, too. He has trial on Thursday and Friday so this is probably the only meal we'll eat together until Friday night, so of course I said yes. I am weak.

Also, very very short test run this AM revealed no pain in the right leg! But maybe some twinges on the left? FFS. I'm going to try and get another short run in before bed and will probably report in the main thread, but any good wishes in the mean time are very welcome.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Oh yeah, and I got my Imperfect Produce box today! I'm on an every-other-week delivery schedule and have been doing pretty good with the "eat more produce/waste less produce" kick. I've been keeping a list of all perishables on a white board on the fridge with the dates I bought things, so that's been helping me make sure to get to stuff before it goes bad. I did have to toss half a container of mushrooms today - I love mushrooms in my omelettes but only use one or two mushrooms per omelette, and can only buy them in containers too big for me to go through without some going bad. I put this batch in a paper bag and they definitely lasted longer, but I still didn't get to the last few. I tried freezing some zucchini so maybe that can be my go-to omelette filling. I just love the mushrooms!

In any case, today I got: apples, pears (not quite ripe), nectarines (ditto), a tiny watermelon, green beans, and green peppers. I'm trying to find a snacking alternative to cherry tomatoes because they often go bad before I finish them, and am giving green beans and peppers a try. Plus peppers can go in omelettes!
  • Elise4270
    I made curry last night with lots of veggies and not so much chicken; then ate the last of the ice cream.

Today I haven’t eaten anything yet... so I popped a frozen pizza in the oven and added rotisserie chicken to it. Then I’ll add some ricotta and enjoy it with some study time... or maybe I’ll give the brain a rest and just watch season 3 of Jessica Jones.
    Three tests tomorrow... I’m only just sufficiently prepared. So, I’ll prob do some once over stuff later.
  • shanaber
    I think most I didn't see the article but I can imagine what it says... I also think the Millenials and other foodies who are down on things like mayo would be fascinated if they learned to make it themselves. It is like making a hollandaise sauce... it is not easy and so good when done right.

Since I have talked so much about it here thought I would post these here rather than in the challenge group...
    Video of Andrea Bocelli singing with his son who is as talented as his father!
    https://youtu.be/TK3qyF-IHCw
    It was an awesome concert and a fantastic day all around. We headed out early to see if we could find a house we have seen for over 30 years from our seats at the Bowl. We have always said one day we will find it and yesterday we did. We are actually below the house on a scenic overlook but his is the view they have (note the very unusually empty 101 freeway!).
    You can see the Bowl in the bottom right of the first picture.
    mr7ntlq0rf44.jpeg
    7trf53hc5pa4.jpeg
    ea9t6duzn21x.jpeg
    and the house as we see it at night from the Bowl
    n9ulrrb92m2w.jpeg
    We walked around Hollywood a bit to kill some extra time and shared some pork sliders at one of the historic hotels. Then headed to the Bowl to picnic - we had cold roast beef, a charcuterie plate that we all contributed to, a Caprese salad, all kinds of fruit and of course wine - it was really a feast and I didn't try to log any of it. At intermission we ate strawberries and dark chocolate for dessert. I didn't get home until after 1am and I did not make it out for a run. Might go for a walk later when it cools off.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    @shanaber: That concert looks amazing! I haven’t been to a classical show in a while and I miss it. My husband enjoys classical music but has a hard time listening to it live - he has music/color synesthesia and apparently classical music can be incredibly overwhelming.

I think plenty of millennials and foodies are fine with mayo - I certainly am, and I see house-made mayo and aolie (sp?) all over the place. Some people hate it, but I don’t think that’s anything new either. To the extent that anything is killing anything I suspect it’s people going for small and local brands, or homemade, instead of the big brands, and that’s okay with me!

I chickened out of running yesterday but made it out today. That definitely doesn’t balance out the wine and lasagna I’m about to eat, but so it goes.
  • Elise4270
    One Red Bull and one cookie in the books for today. I really need to find a decent lunch before the next exams. I just wanna nap. But did well on the admission type test. I scored better than 82% of the applicants historically, which should I hope secures me a spot in the program. Think I’ll know by mid November. *sigh* long wait.

Canned chicken with some mayo on bread... I think is lunch.
  • shanaber
    @Elise4270 - that is a really long time to wait. When does the program start? I guess I was thinking you would start in September.
    I did pretty well today. Not great for breakfast because I waited too long to get my run in and then it was way past breakfast but counted my pre-run toast and PB as breakfast...lunch was a turkey and avocado wrap. Dinner will be chicken, veggies and rice.

Going to another concert tonight. A favorite Alt group out of Los Angeles, Local Natives. Show doesn't start until 9 but fortunately it is at a nearby venue so shouldn't be so late getting home.

@MegaMooseEsq - my husband is not a music fan pretty much at all. We have had Hollywood Bowl season tickets with a group of friends though for almost 35 years now seeing all kinds of concerts but mostly classical (think John Williams). He goes for the social fun, food, wine and good friends, definitely not the music. Interestingly our first concert of the season on July 5th is one of my favorite Alt singers, Rhye otherwise known as Milosh along with Leon Bridges. I am pretty sure none of our group have ever heard of them but I am very excited to see them in concert again, especially at the Bowl.
  • Elise4270
    I ate a giant bbq sandwich and a a huge amount of fried okra yesterday. No regrets, but I should kinda sorts make up for it today, and tomorrow, probably the day after that...

@shanaber The concert series stuff sound pretty cool. My dh likes uh... different music than I care for. We did a few Christian concerts I enjoyed, and the TSO. We went to an old rock guy one... it was fine. But I typically have an aversion to old rock, the crowd is not in my comfort zone. Bit of a thuggy vibe.

The program I’m trying to get in starts in spring. Long wait, but it gives me the chance to get the prerequisites out of the way. If I’m going to be off gimpy, then I might as well make the most of it.

Food...
    Gah. None is probably a good plan for today with all I’ve eaten this week, and last week and the week before...

Onward.

I’m a tad sore still from weights, but could possibly go today and not be so sore I wanna die. It’d put the bbq to some good use. But if I get out, I need some curtains for a particular window. I climbed stairs yesterday for the first time since surgery. It’s slow, and I have to walk like a gimp, one foot steps the other follows never allowing the week one to step first. So I look like a 3 year old or 90 yo... leg was okay. This morning it complained a bit at the break. Not horrible though. Then I step on sliver of glass and had to figure out how to get to the bottom of my foot with limited ROM. Thankfully my ankle is rather flexible and made up enough for the hip.

Eat smart.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,954 Member
    Wow! I'm sure you were stressed about your mom's house. Glad everything is okay. I live off of the road and actually feel safer, but that is because I have a gate at the bottom of the driveway and don't think most people are motivated enough to walk a quarter of a mile up hill to rob my house, or know how to get the gate off of the hinges in a hurry, before someone comes by. More people around here seem to be robbed if they live on the road because it is a quick exit.

My food choices this week haven't been the greatest. I did take my lunch to work the last couple of days, so I wasn't tempted to eat the daycare lunch leftovers which tend to be really high in sodium and calories. As a result, my weight is only up 0.2 pounds (so basically the same) for the week. Now, if I can do better next week and get it to go down! I'm anxiously waiting to get back into the 140's. I'm at 150.8 pounds today. So close and yet so far!
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2019
    @rheddmobile Wow, sorry to hear about your mom's place getting broken into. Glad she wasn't there and all seems fine.

All the music talk and the thought reminded me of learning that violin. With classes next semester at a 4 year college that has a new, giant, super fancy fine arts building; I thought "bet they have music classes". Scored one of the last two seats for private lessons. Now I can't wait to find to time learn to read sheet music.

Today's food...
    Uh. No plans. Needs to be light. I ate so many of those almond cookies. I'm hoping for a walk today. My house stinks. So there's the mad chore of finding where the cat peed. Mental note to buy more pheromone refill stuff. A salad sounds goo today. I bet I can make that happen.
  • shanaber
    @rheddmobile - That is so crazy about your mom's house getting broken into. I can only imagine the stress of waiting to know she was ok.
    We had our house broken into once a long time ago... he broke in through our daughter's bedroom window (we never told her) and was in our house for a while, going thru drawers etc. We lost some keepsakes and my daughter's Bob's Big Boy bank filled with quarters but mostly it was just awful knowing someone had been in our house going thru things. He did take a store brand credit card and used it to buy thousands of dollars worth of clothes and shoes. The store actually had him on video and the local police here never went to pick it up... they just wrote it off. We live at the back of a series of tiny windy streets and cul-de-sacs so it is not easy to get into or out of. Apparently he hit several homes though by going from backyard to backyard. Our Star Trek red alert phone frightened him off and our lovely 'guard dogs' let him run right out the back door which he left open and they happily came inside and were in their beds when I got home from work.

I had to take some things over to our friend late yesterday afternoon so in honor of my last night of self care eating, I got a burrito bowl from Chipotle; black beans, fajita veggies, chicken and lots of lettuce! So good!!

I have done pretty well today, maybe a few too many carbs so far. I had cereal for breakfast and a tuna wrap for lunch. DH is home this afternoon so I took out some chicken to grill. Its a rest day but I think I will take the pup out for a little walk around the neighborhood once it cools off a bit.
  • shanaber
    @elise4270 - forgot to mention how cool I think it is that you are gonna take violin lessons!
    Also that I think cat pee is the worst smell ever! I have been taking care of our friends cat now and cleaning out the litter box gets me every time.