Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Oh also @elise4270 - did yo take Beary to have his eye checked? What did the vet say?

I didn't take him. DD and dh thought I was a little overly concerned. So I'm not looking at it, hoping to give it a week or so before I have a good look at it again. He feels fine. Been obnoxious, wants OUT. DH said let him go, he could get bit again even if I am watching him. But this morning he cautiously slinked around and acted like something was out there. So nope. Staying in pal.

I don't usually drink cokes, but coffee sounds so unappealing lately. I still need the caffeine fix though. I'm just a lazy eater. If I cooked or put some thought to my meals, I wouldn't have anything to complain about. Haha! The belly roll is prominent enough to offer motivation.

I'm going to do better today. If I get Panera, it'll be a salad.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Virtual ear scratchies to all the injured mammals! I hope everyone is healing well. My week is off to a much better start, though I did take myself out to dinner last night because apparently I'm trying to prove to myself that I don't have a drinking problem by drinking too much. Sigh. One day at a time!

I've decided to give meal planning a try, since my brain clearly is not interested in going back to calorie counting and I really, really, REALLY don't want to see 170 on the scale (168 this AM). We've started making lunches for my husband to take to work and I'm going to put together a few extra for myself, only a little smaller. I figured out a couple alternatives for each meal/snack so hopefully that will work. I've decided to make going out to my favorite pizza place my 5-pound-lost reward (which hopefully will cut back on how often I've been going to my favorite pizza place), but I'm going to need to come up with some better dinner alternatives in the mean time. My husband was supposed to put together a plan for dinners last weekend but had to fly to Nebraska for work instead, which I guess is okay.

Imperfect box arriving today with lots of fruit, and then groceries and brunch with my mom tomorrow. I'm going to go make myself a veggie omelette now.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - good call on keeping Beary inside! I wouldn't let him out either.
    I have been enjoying my coffee cold, which is a new thing for me. I really want to try a cold brew but I don't want all the junk in them like the ones in the grocery. I have been having cold coffee with protein powder in the mid morning or after a run. Sometimes I add a bit of milk but more often I don't and it is good either way.

@MegaMooseEsq - a veggie omelet sounds delicious. I never think of things like that for breakfast unless we are at a restaurant. Mostly because eggs are not a first choice ever for me.

I am on track this morning. Had my usual yogurt and granola, wish I had strawberries but put a dab of jam on it instead. Heading off to the gym soon for strength training. Last session for the next two weeks. Trainer is gone and then we will be gone.
    I had too much salt yesterday in my comfort food Panera dinner and my eyes are all puffy - ugg

I have been scoping out running places for next week though this morning. We will be in No CA, a ways above Napa, near the Russian river. It is also going to be pretty hot but the humidity should be pretty low so I am hoping decent summer running weather. Also our hotel provides bikes(!) and... a split of wine each day. Should be fun! I don't think DH has been on a bike in forever and it has been a few years for me other than stationary bikes (don't think those count though). I am hoping he will ride maybe in the mornings with me when I run and it could be incentive for him to get a new bike for when we are home. Don't want to be too optimistic but I am really excited by this!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber I cheat on the cold coffee. I just set it up in the French press overnight. It's darn good and inexpensive. I forgot about that. I may have to set it up today.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @elise4270 - good call on keeping Beary inside! I wouldn't let him out either.
    I have been enjoying my coffee cold, which is a new thing for me. I really want to try a cold brew but I don't want all the junk in them like the ones in the grocery. I have been having cold coffee with protein powder in the mid morning or after a run. Sometimes I add a bit of milk but more often I don't and it is good either way.

@MegaMooseEsq - a veggie omelet sounds delicious. I never think of things like that for breakfast unless we are at a restaurant. Mostly because eggs are not a first choice ever for me.

I am on track this morning. Had my usual yogurt and granola, wish I had strawberries but put a dab of jam on it instead. Heading off to the gym soon for strength training. Last session for the next two weeks. Trainer is gone and then we will be gone.
    I had too much salt yesterday in my comfort food Panera dinner and my eyes are all puffy - ugg

I have been scoping out running places for next week though this morning. We will be in No CA, a ways above Napa, near the Russian river. It is also going to be pretty hot but the humidity should be pretty low so I am hoping decent summer running weather. Also our hotel provides bikes(!) and... a split of wine each day. Should be fun! I don't think DH has been on a bike in forever and it has been a few years for me other than stationary bikes (don't think those count though). I am hoping he will ride maybe in the mornings with me when I run and it could be incentive for him to get a new bike for when we are home. Don't want to be too optimistic but I am really excited by this!

I've been on an egg kick for a while now - I figured out how to make scrambled eggs, then omelettes, and it's become a go-to. Shredded cheese and pre-chopped veggies are my friends for fast cooking time and easy cleanup. I gave up on yoghurt years ago - the consistency is a turn-off for me.

Have fun on your trip! I grew up in Calistoga, so give it a wave if you pass it by. I don't miss the fire threat but dry heat really is nice. I especially like how it actually cools off at night.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    How's everyone doing with the US holiday or weekend in general?

No holiday food temptations, just poor choices. DH was getting a bit stir crazy with his extra days off so we went to Dallas for shot for work clothes and Indian food. Mmm shrimp korma. He had a lamb dish that he really didn't care for. It had bit of meat with the bone and found bone slivers too. Oh well. Mine was excellent. Now I kinda want cheesecake.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @shanaber What else would the BBQ be for? Hobbes is too cute! Sounds like you are being very good on your vacation. Have fun!
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hobbes IS too cute!

Nothing for me on the shopping trip. I need nothing but to lose a few pounds. I did help dh understand that he's a 33/32 not 33/33. So that's a win and he got some nice slim cut pants and can retire those overly baggy old man pants.

ETA a salad sounds so good old today. I've over eaten and feel so bloated.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Last week I didn't stick to my food plan and drank too much pretty much every day for a week because I was rebelling against the idea that I have to make a change. Made it out relatively unscathed, but decided yesterday that it was time to bite the bullet, so I dumped out the rest of my wine, stuck to my food plan, and reached out to a friend who has also been struggling with drinking. We had a really great conversation so I'm hoping that he can be a bit of an accountability buddy, or at least someone who gets what I'm dealing with.

I'm still resisting going back to counting calories (even though it's the only way I've successfully lost weight in the past), but I have made myself a plan that includes a couple of alternatives for each meal or snack and will keep me in a deficit no matter what combo I choose, and have made a tracker in my journal to keep myself honest. I'm going to try and give it a week and see how it goes. I didn't drink at all last night and slept better than I have in ages, so that's some immediate positive reinforcement right there. 167.8 pounds this AM makes me think I've dropped a little water weight from all the restaurant food I've been eating the last few weeks, so that's nice too.
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Atta Girl @MegaMooseEsq ! A+ on the plans. Just a reminder for all of us that we need to make that plan and stick to it, weather it be food or drink... Just ignore that I’m about to shovel this gas station hamburger down and I’ve just eagerly eaten an order of greasy, crispy onion rings. Last burger. I promise.

If you read, there is an AA book you can get, the big book. Might be helpful if your not up to an actual meeting. I enjoyed the NA meetings. It helped me understand what dh was dealing with and of course, later that my son also needed help. Just a thought. It’s kind of a practical how-to life. I think even folks without addictions can glean some wisdom from it.

———————————————————————————————————

Me and food.

Uh, burger. Scale isn’t where I want it to be. I’m gonna do better. Omg that’s a good burger.... ok for real, I am. 10 days left of this semester. I’ll work to manage my time. Maybe add some swimming or just house cleaning.

ETA @MegaMooseEsq I wanna do something in solidarity. I’ll give up any random thing you choose, maybe even add something? Push up challenge? I can do about 5 half push ups, going down about half way. Any thing you want. 30 days. Challenge me.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Good work taking the first steps. I know that's hard. My husband is a recovering alcoholic, and while he had a relatively uneventful recovery compared to some people he knows, it was hard for all of us.

I feel you on resisting counting calories. I did the same thing a few times and ultimately lost and gained the same weight several times. I have realized that I need the guardrails that counting calories provides. It sounds like you are doing some meal planning. That has worked well for me too. I like having the decisions of what to eat sorted out well before I need to make the decision. Even if you don't go as far as I do and actually cook and package all your meals in advance, just having a game plan in place takes some of the daily work away. Some people have said to me that it sounds like a lot of work, but I think it takes less time to crunch the numbers in advance and make a plan than it does to go meal by meal and then see what's left over at the end of the day. Inevitably, I would end up starving on a day where I only had a couple hundred calories left for dinner.

I hope all your planning works well for you and good luck with all the changes you are making! It is good you have a friend around to talk to as well. We are all rooting for you, but I know it's not the same.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Aw, thank you @Elise4270 and @martaindale - I really do appreciate all the support. @Elise4270 if you really want to do something in solidarity, you did mention swimming and house cleaning...
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Okay. I’ll swim or clean every day for the next 30. Sunday’s off and a pass on pt days. I went for a walk to subtract a bite or two of that burger. Shower then I’ll get to cleaning something.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq Okay. I’ll swim or clean every day for the next 30. Sunday’s off and a pass on pt days. I went for a walk to subtract a bite or two of that burger. Shower then I’ll get to cleaning something.

Ugh I hate cleaning. It’s not the act itself, but that you see how nasty stuff is. I cleaned under the kitchen sink, where the trash is. Barf. Pine-sol and even took the trash can holder out and cleaned it. Gross. 2nd load of laundry is in. Kitchen floor 90 percent clean, last 10 would require knees and a scrub brush- not happening today. And when the cats go out this evening, I’ll vacuum the living room rug. Hopefully. Oh, I got all 5 cat boxes cleaned/replaced too. I just remember that cuz one just found it clean... jeez.

I like this 30 day challenge idea. Ds and I would have “no excuses “ week with the gym. Anyone else wanna jump in on a 30 day self challenge? All this effort makes me wanna eat better.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Congratulations on deciding to make these positive changes in your life. We're here for you.

@Elise4270 This is NOT the month for me to accept any sort of 30 day challenge. I'm working a lot at my part time job at the day care, working as an usher a few days at the local minor league baseball games, going to a wedding in WI (will be gone 7 days total), and getting ready for a visit from my step-daughter and grandkids starting on the day I get back from WI. My challenge is to survive and not gain too much weight or lose too much fitness.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq - great job making a plan and getting a buddy to help you deal with the issues and keep you honest with your plan.

I will have to defer to next week since we are on vacation and I intend to enjoy every bite... er minute! 😂 We had burgers and beer for lunch. I can't drink much beer because I just get too full but it was really good, locally brewed. And the burger, like yours @Elise4270 was OMG good too! Bleu cheese with bacon and cajon seasonings...
    I am however trying to keep up with my HM training plan as much as possible while here without spending too much time running and not with DH, since we are here to celebrate our anniversary. Probably wouldn't be good to head off running for hours and hours at a time...
    We have bikes available with our room and I am still holding out hope that he might ride with me while I run with Hobbes but when I mentioned it he was not too keen on it...
  • Elise4270
    Options
    So fess up, what did you eat today?

I ate too much again. And too much of the wrong stuff. I logged it all, and thought, “huh? I guess I didn’t do too bad after all.” But the second I said “fess up”, I remembered I ate cheesecake.

Today has been a wash on several fronts. I need to study, i need some exercise, yet I spent most of the day doing those things that get put off, namely getting things ready to applying to various programs. I’m applying to three, I hate to jinx it and chat about it. One is a long shot and it’s already cost me about 400 bucks and all day just to actually start the process when I need to be studying this kidney, digestion, and respiration business. How stupid am I?

Creeping in to finals and it’s typical to find that additional stress that gets in the way of productivity. Haha, the instructor sent out a “if you are going to drop this class, now is the time...” email citing the lack of work turned in from some. Whew. I do have a 93.something, at least and all my work current. Whew. Dang. Dd has an assignment due in Word and specifically formated. She doesn’t have word and has never used it. I have it. She got mad, gave up and cried. She’s had a light period for 2 weeks, her car is iffy, she sat for an hour waiting on a 30 second answer for financial aid, and she got her first B yesterday, a horrible 89 and now her average is 98 or 99, so the finals stress is real in this house. I just get restless. And eat cheesecake. Then tell y’all my life story. Swore I’d never take that GRE again and yet I signed up for it today. Blah. For a long shot. Mr. No-Balls (a play on Santa Clarita Diet’s Mr. Ball-Legs), is still at 0-2 with that snake. I’ll take that loss any day. His eye looks like it’s gonna scar, but least he still has it and his vision seems fine.

Dh kinda fussed about food. So I think I’m going to have to do some meal planning. I can eat nachos, aka tostadas, forever. So why cook? Maybe tomorrow I’ll peruse a cookbook.

Best summer dishes? That IP is summer friendly, so I think I’ll make a roast or curry... perhaps.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Today was actually a good day for me for food... no running today so I had to be good right? DH brought me a waffle and scrambled eggs from the free breakfast. I ate half the waffle with some peanut butter and all of the eggs. They were actually pretty good, surprisingly. We headed off to explore Santa Rosa and spent most of the day at the Charles Schultz Museum. It was really fantastic! We had lunch at the Warm Puppy Cafe that is in his associated ice rink (Snoopy's 'home ice'!). I had wanted a salad with grilled chicken but DH forgot to order the chicken. Oh well the salad was delicious and very fresh. Even though today is our actual anniversary we decided to do something simple for dinner and just had Panera for dinner. There was part of a piece of cheesecake from yesterday, that was dessert.

Yesterday was a different story and it is a really good thing I ran. The great burger and beer for lunch was SO filling so we weren't too hungry for dinner. There is a very highly rated local market right across the street from the hotel so we went there. It was like a combination of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods and is huge. I honestly have never seen such a great cheese selection. We ended up getting 3 cheeses, crackers and cheesecake for dessert 😁

Tomorrow I have a run planned 1st thing in the morning and then we are driving further north and checking out some wineries. Hopefully will find some locally sourced places for lunch and likely dinner.

@Elise4270 - I hope all your programs work out. I don't miss studying for finals and the associated stress. Maybe have DD just type in her paper in a word doc and then you could help her reformat it to the specifications? I love all the Office products and even have the Mac versions now (yes I moved off Windows as soon as I no longer had to use it for work). I used to teach it at the elementary school when I had the computer lab. It was nice because they all work so similarly, with the same toolbars, commands, etc. and the kids were always showing me little tricks and shortcuts they had found.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Sounds like you are doing pretty good food and exercise wise while you are on vacation. I really struggle with that. AND HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

@Elise4270 Good luck with all of the school stress in your household and hope one of the programs you are applying to comes through soon!

As for what I ate yesterday: You can almost count on me having half an egg sandwich for breakfast every day - one slice of whole wheat toast, a fried egg, and some extra sharp cheddar cheese. I played tennis in the morning, so stopped at Taco Bell for a chicken burrito for lunch before heading to work. After work, I had a BLT and 2 Oreo Balls. So, I guess it wasn't too bad of a day.