Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @elise4270 - forgot to mention how cool I think it is that you are gonna take violin lessons!
    Also that I think cat pee is the worst smell ever! I have been taking care of our friends cat now and cleaning out the litter box gets me every time.

Yes. It is. We took the baby cat to an emergency vet visit and I came home to a cat pee puddle on my bed (yes protective cover. Definitely don't wanna sleep in cat pee smell or the coffee dh spills). DH is furious. DD isn't real good at letting him outside... And he won't usually use the box.. I let her know I wasn't happy about it. It's exausting. All she has to do is open the gd kitten door. He's out. Banished once more from inside.
    Sucks to be you buddy boy. But you're lucky it wasn't a trip to the woods.

Food.
    I had a salad as predicted.
    p82ifp835h7b.jpg
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I'm surprised your cat doesn't use the litter box. I thought all cats did that automatically. Guess that goes to show you how much I know about cats. I'm a dog person, myself. That salad looks delicious. Oh, I too think it is cool that you are going to learn to play the violin. I play the piano. My dream is to learn to play the harp, but I have horribly brittle fingernails, so that probably isn't going to happen this side of heaven. LOL

Food yesterday was good. I had an egg scramble with cheese about 10:30 and then snacked on cheese and peanut butter and ate a baked pork chop and baked potatoes for dinner. I also went for my longest run in years - ran 4 miles and walked 1!

• Elise4270
    edited June 2019
    Options
    This dumb pee cat, is like a dog. He bonded with a dog we had and has since passed. He use to follow the kids to school, he comes out to the car and follows it in the drive, waiting for you to greet him... And I can walk him outside "c'mon let's go pp", "go pp", and the little turd squats and pees for you. He's a dog in a cats body.

I tried training him to use the box, but he acts like I'm putting him in water, just freaks out. All's fine if DD lets him out.

Today's food???
    Ugh. I just wanna sleep. I'm hoping for something light.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    We have a lot of zucchini from the garden. Not my favorite veg, but it was obvious that I needed to cook it. So with dh’s help, we threw together a zucchini bake with eggs and ricotta topped with fresh Thai basil and brie. I put a few garden cherry tomato’s in it too with garlic powder and salt.

Seems like it’ll be eat-able. Hmm I should have assed some dill... oh well. Can top it maybe.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Elise4270 Poor dog - to be in a cat's body. That must be pure torture. LOL The zucchini bake sounds good. My Sunday's are poor food days. I go to my mom and dad's for lunch and have just learned to enjoy what they have and not worry about the calories or sodium or anything else. I love that I get to spend that time with them every week. Tomorrow won't be good either, probably. Dad has a VA appointment and we usually go out to eat on the way home from those. Eating out healthy is hard - at least it seems to be for me.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @Elise4270 Poor dog - to be in a cat's body. That must be pure torture. LOL The zucchini bake sounds good. My Sunday's are poor food days. I go to my mom and dad's for lunch and have just learned to enjoy what they have and not worry about the calories or sodium or anything else. I love that I get to spend that time with them every week. Tomorrow won't be good either, probably. Dad has a VA appointment and we usually go out to eat on the way home from those. Eating out healthy is hard - at least it seems to be for me.

Hahaha! He must have done some bad stuff to cats to come back as one of them!

I like the poor Sunday. Kinda gives you pause to appreciate the food and company, very fitting for human existence sustenance.

The zucchini bake was mediocre. The zucchini didn’t cook as fast as the egg, so... the brie was a good call though. Dh thought we liked and bought a big round of it... we do don’t care for it.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Today’s food?
    Coffee and books. I have an errand today, so I’ll confess taco casa maybe possible.

Baby buggie bear is back to normal, rip roaring through the house this morning. It’s too cute. Little does he know, I’m plotting his antibiotic doses shortly. Dh doesn’t want him outside anymore... I get it, but he’s a cat crazy kitten, we’re rural, and he’s rambunctious. He is at least, leery of the bushes now. I think he’s ok to go out, but as soon as I let him out I almost worry.

What are some of your favorite foods? If you could eat anything today, catered to you without cost concern, what would you have to eat today?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Hmm food today - was contemplating actually before I came here to see what you all were having and maybe I would get some inspiration. So don't really know. We need to go to Costco and to the grocery store. We had spaghetti leftovers last night for dinner and used up most of the salad veggies. Not enough lettuce for another big salad. Could be a fruit salad... I have lots of fruit but need veggies.
    Having pre-run breakfast of oatmeal and walnuts. Lunch will likely be another wrap as no salad fixings and we are out of bread. Dinner is also unknown. I have agility class tonight so it will need to be something quick or we end up eating at 8.

@Elise4270 - I am so glad baby cat is ok and zooming around like a crazy cat should! I get that you are rural and honestly I think indoor/outdoor cats are healthier. Friends cat is strictly indoors and she is so fat - has no where or reason to run around. We have friends in ND and they had strictly outdoor farm cats - they were tame and would come to you for pets but they were hunters going after the 'pests' all kinds of rodents and even rabbits for food (they did not get fed otherwise other than in the winters). They were honestly pretty amazing cats.

Favorite foods... Assuming no calorie concerns either 😁 and that I could eat all of this in one day which is very unlikely.
    Breakfast - an omelet with veggies and cheese and crisp bacon on the side, a waffle with sliced strawberries or peaches
    Lunch - a bacon and blue cheese burger with truffle fries
    Dinner - grilled scallops and maybe a filet with grilled asparagus, flourless chocolate lava cake for dessert. Alternatively I love carnitas with some black beans and flour tortillas!

Ok - now I am seriously hungry!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Mmm. Your fantasy meals sound good. For the life of me, I couldn't think of a single thing I'd like to have if I could just magically conjure it. That's sad. I'm going to blame some liver-killin' med I'm on for that almost-gone-grody- toe nail.

I cooked the last frozen pizza. I didn't eat much yesterday, figure I probably had the calories. Passed on the errand and will just do my business in person (Dallas) rather than mailing and tracking down a notery.

I'd sure like a nice steak with a real baked potato in foil... When I was a kid, they were just amazing with chives and sour cream.

@shanaber Enjoy agility class! And I hope today's food is spectacular and healthy.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I caught up!

@rheddmobile: I think generally my husband considers his synesthesia a good thing, but it can occasionally cause issues. Normally only music sets it off, but occasionally it’ll get triggered by a random noice - a squeaky door, or a particularly musical voice - and that can be really unpleasant and distracting. So sorry to hear about there break-on at your mom’s! That sucks.

@Elise4270: That’s exciting about your violin lessons! I played french horn in our school band and a regional orchestra and then in college. I was never all that good (I didn’t really like practicing on my own) but I loved playing with the group. Glad to hear your kitty is feeling better today!

@shanaber: I’ve never had a home break-in, but I have had a couple of wallets stollen and then recovered, and both times I remember feeling a very clear sense of violation and ended up replacing the wallets because it didn’t feel like they were mine anymore. A lot harder to replace a house, so I’ll keep on keeping the doors and windows locked!

I actually don’t worry about crime too much here in Minneapolis. Property crimes are mostly opportunity things - cars left unlocked near the bars and restaurants, people who are too inattentive with their phones and purses, open street-level windows, and so on. I lost a phone once by handing it to some kid who asked if he could make a call and then took off with it. Boy did I feel dumb!

We had all indoor/outdoor cats when I lived in rural California, but now that I’m in a city I’ve kept all but one of my cats indoors. The one who insisted on going outside was a great cat, but he was hit by a car a couple of years ago, so I’m pretty happy that the two I have now seem happy to stay inside. They’ve got lots of room to run around, at least in the hour or two a day when they aren’t sleeping! I did have to put one on a diet since he was getting fat, but that was also when he didn’t have anyone to play with much of the time because the other cat was the one who wanted to be outside. We got a kitten when he died and older cat promptly lost another pound all on his own chasing her around!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    168.8 pounds this morning, I am officially not pregnant this month, and I'm really feeling the pinch of the extra weight. My current weight-gain issues are twofold: first, my husband has been struggling with his ADD and anxiety the last couple of months, which has resulted in him developing a block against cooking, which means we've been relying on restaurant food for most of our dinners. I have generally been refusing to pick up the cooking slack since that is a big part of what he contributes to the household, but instead that means it isn't happening (much like most of his other jobs around the house) and I'm up about 15 pounds now and back into obese BMI.

Second and related: I drink too much, and when I drink, I eat. I've been in therapy for a couple of months now talking about this and I feel like I've made some real progress understanding what's going on in my head, but I haven't been ready to act on that insight yet. It feels like I might be on the brink of something, but I'm not sure exactly what. I know that I need to keep the alcohol consumption down, keep the late-night snacking down, and make healthier choices for dinner. But knowing and doing are two different things.

I guess there's a reason point five: I haven't been running nearly as much as I'd like because of injuries. Running actually makes it harder for me to lose weight, but it makes it easier to maintain. I'm planning on three runs this week including a 5K race this weekend - I'm trying not to focus on how I'd planned on running 10 Miles, but instead find myself not even up for a 10K. Instead I'm trying to focus on what I can do, which is run a 5K, and that's awesome too.
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I’d never heard of synesthesia. Sounds like it could be cool or maddening especially while driving, during movies, ugh that coworker with the annoying voice... there’s a guy at church that sounds like in his younger days, was perhaps a professional singer. He even sings in Latin. Bet that his speaking voice would cause it too.

Sorry to hear about all the stuff going on. My dh is add, and a recovering addict. Don’t let alcohol get the best of you, catch a meeting. My estranged father died an alcohol related death, sepsis. I assume that means liver failure. My mother drinks, no idea how she’s made it so long... long term daily “light” drinker, I suppose. Alcohol is something I’m nervous about having. The thought of letting it get me keeps me from it. Any way, outsmart it. Lean on us as much as you can.

My dd is half way through her first 6 hours of college courses. I’m a bit concerned. She is driven to make her class average 100, (one is 100.3 the other 96). Admirable, but when classes get tough and it’s time to take the B... I feel she may give up, not always getting 100 or A’s. She did enroll in 11 hours for next semester. Is this adulthood? 🤔

ETA @MegaMooseEsq my dh won’t take meds, he does over do the caffeine, like 600mg/day. He was a meth addict and the add meds are to similar. But if your dh can get on a regimen, it may help. Mine takes seraquil (sp) for sleep, but it does seem to double as an anti anxiety. Hey, you think about something short term? I know trying to conceive it’s a no-no, but if you needed something for a month? My doc is good about short term stuff like that.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Hang in there. I really have no good advise. Just do your best and don't beat yourself up too much. Make small changes that you can live with. We are here for you. (Well, I guess I did have a little advice.)

@Elise4270 I'm glad your cat is feeling better today!

As expected, my food wasn't the best today. We went to Crackle Barrel for breakfast after dad's VA appointment. I had a Western Omelet and 2 biscuits! Yikes. But, it was really good! That was at about 10:30, so I only had half of a ham and cheese sandwich and some left over apple cobbler later.

Not sure what my fantasy meal would be...maybe a big rib eye steak with a huge baked potato and a side of Chicken Alfredo. LOL
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @quilteryoyo oh I haven't had fettuccine Alfredo in so long. DD would make it and it was so good. I can't do milk, I mean... I could but I'm lactose intolerant enough, I shouldn't. But I just might put it on the menu. Mmm!

Another long day to an emergency vet visit. Beary hasn't figured out the connection between snakes, pain and long car rides. Tomorrow I'll try to cut him a nice size tree, and bring it in for him to climb on. He's gonna stay inside now. I'll bring outside in for him. I think I'm going to pot it in cement, should be fun.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Uh-oh - did I read that right that Beary found another snake that bit him a 2nd time?!! Does that help make him immune to snake bites (build up that internal antivenin) or just using up another of his 9 lives?

@MegaMooseEsq - I agree with what @Elise4270 said. Don't try and do it on your own. Work with your therapist and find others who can provide support. We are definitely all here for you but having some friends IRL who can be there day to day to lean on when things get tough is super important. I don't have any addiction problems in my greater family but I have several close friends who have gone through it (one 35 years sober and another 6 years) and the most important things were family and friends being there for them and going to the meetings.

@elise4270 - I hope your DD can stay motivated and know that a B is a great grade in some classes. I know I had a few that there was only 1 A in the class... It typically wasn't me.

@quilteryoyo - I love biscuits, don't make them and try not to go anywhere that has them... I guess I should have put that on my fantasy meal, instead of a waffle!

I didn't have a great day either. It started out good and then just went to *kitten*. Lots if issues with the board and care and the HMO - can't get a hold of anyone and those you can reach 'can't see that information'. So frustrating. I did get some oatmeal while I was making calls and then got a run in. As soon as I got home and showered I had to rush to the home to try to straighten things out but now have a new list to try and call in the morning. Got home late and then off to agility class (also late)... note there is no mention of food or lunch there. I had a small bite of leftover doughnut and half a granola bar in the car. Panera salad for dinner which was really tasty. Tomorrow is strength training and shopping - have to get groceries.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I feel ya, girl, I had to give up my goal race this year because of injury. It sucks but you just have to focus on the positive. In the past, any time I was injured or ill, I put on weight, and I’m determined not to continue that cycle. At least you’re on top of the situation instead of letting it sneak up on you.

@Elise4270 he did it AGAIN? Good grief. That’s gonna start adding up! You be careful, it sounds like your environs are just crawling and it wouldn’t be ideal if you got nailed.

@quilteryoyo It sounds like you showed a lot of restraint at Cracker Barrel, all things considered. Funny story - before I had a diabetes diagnosis, my husband and I would eat breakfast at Cracker Barrel about once a month, and I always felt terrible afterwards. I figured I was allergic to something they used in their food. I would just feel nauseated and terrible for a few hours, then be fine after a nap. I always would have a large fancy breakfast, because if you’re going to Cracker Barrel you might as well go all out, right? And this was back in my fat days when I ate huge amounts of food at every sitting anyway. So, after learning I was diabetic, out of curiosity I looked up their nutritional info online and added up my usual breakfast, and it was something mindboggling like 250 g net carbs. I used to get an off-the-menu special which is called Grandma’s special or something, which involves three pancakes with syrup, hash browns, two eggs and bacon, grits, and of course they give you biscuits and gravy with everything, plus a large orange juice. And then we usually got a jar of sour balls at the gift shop! It’s a wonder I wasn’t flat out in a diabetic coma!

So today we learned that Huey’s, a local burger joint, is open until 11 pm, which means we can still get a bite to eat after we run at sundown! Yay! Because it is getting just too darned hot to run earlier in the day. Memphis is just not a late night town, most restaurants close at 9 except for my favorite one which closes at 8. And sundown is 8:15. Anyway Huey’s is mostly burgers but they have a huge menu of all kinds of things, including a tuna steak salad, which is what I had. Not the best tuna steak I’ve ever eaten, but not bad, and decently healthy! So of course I had to offset any health benefits with a side of onion rings, and the onion rings were brilliant. The size of truck tires and coated in cornmeal breading. I ate three, my husband ate two, and we saved the last two to heat up in the oven later because they were just that huge.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Thanks all, the good wishes really do mean a lot. Hugs all around. I made it about 2/3rds of the way though strength class yesterday and then just about started crying in the middle of band-supported pushups, which was a little odd because I'd never done a band-supported pushup before and it was actually really badass. But the brain does what the brain does. I made it through the rest of the class and walked home. On the way, I decided I was just going to do the one thing I absolutely had to do for work and not worry about anything else for the rest of the day. My husband was pretty great - he gets my brain can be evil sometimes and he actually stepped up and took care of dinner and household stuff and everything. I told him that I need a break from being in charge of things and I think he heard that. In any case, I feel a lot better today. I've given myself permission not to worry about yesterday or tomorrow and just trust myself to make the right decisions today, and so far that seems to be working out okay.

@Elise4270: My husband started on methylphenidate a little over a year ago and it's been a game-changer for him. I've been on various meds for ages and won't be changing that for anything - my doc signed off on everything I'm on for kiddo purposes, thankfully, or else I'd be looking at adoption. Also, OMG your poor kitty!
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I want a Huey burger.

The boogie bear appreciates all the well wishes. He’s stuck to me today. His eye looks questionable. I’m hoping it’ll recover. I had the vet stain it and check it for a bite. It’s cloudy today. I’m hoping it’s just dead cells sloughing off from all the swelling.
    mzfsefr9vtmb.jpg

Dh is mad at me for letting him back outside. I can’t see how that helps anyone. I don’t care for his irrational self righteous bit. Log/speck scenario here.

I have no idea what I’m eating today. I need to fetch cat wormer. The vet noticed he had tapeworms. No surprise since i saw him licking a dead mouse. Cats. Least they don’t roll in dead stuff. 🤢 But, I’m parked with the almighty snake hunter as long as he wants my company. I want to fetch him a tree too. He may not feel well enough today to get excited about that, so tomorrow may be fine.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I had a tomato and mozzarella sandwich today. I should have something else, but it's slim pickings in there. I think there's stuff for a chicken sandwich.

I rearranged the living room, gave it a good cleaning... The baby cat is enjoying the new-ness.
    I sure would like some fettuccine Alfredo...
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Elise4270 Poor kitty. He looks miserable. Hope it heals quickly.

@shanaber I know how frustrating it can be to reach the right person on the phone. Sounds like you handled it pretty well.

@rheddmobile Wow! You could have been in a diabetic coma for sure. It's amazing what some restaurant meals really have in them - carbs, sodium, etc. No wonder people who eat out all the time are so unhealthy. The burger sounds good.

@MegaMooseEsq Glad your DH stepped up to help you. It's really good that he listened. Good for you for not worrying about yesterday or tomorrow, only about doing the best you can today. That's all anyone can do. Hang in there. We're here for you.

I had a horrible food day again today. Had a chicken burrito (Taco Bell) for lunch, after tennis, then we had a staff meeting at a local Mexican Restaurant after work. I haven't had "real" Mexican in a long time, so I wound up ordering and eating two Chimichangas. Yikes. At least I did have time to walk 2 miles before the meeting. (Did 2.1 miles in 30:48 min.) The exercise probably didn't completely counteract the bad food choices, but it had to help some. Right?