Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @shanaber yes, we have a split one because I prefer a firmer mattress and I had to work my way up on the adjustable part. We also have the one where the feet come up. Sometimes I'll do post long run naps with the feet part raised. It was expensive but so worth it.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    @elise4270 even if she doesn't use it now she may feel compelled later.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,881 Member
    Yesterday the school informed me are going to do block scheduling instead of the regular way we’ve done it. This limits kids passing in the hall. Causes me lots of changes so I’ve worked tons since Friday morning. Didn’t have time to catch up.

Florida is number one. Not that I’m proud of that.
    Food is good. Did two twenty min peloton rides but other than that, work. I’m taking Sunday off and we will go look at more condos.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @ddmom0811 - I am still amazed they are moving forward having kids back in school. It wii be interesting to see how many parents actually send them back.
    I hope you get to have a relaxing day tomorrow. It is a good time to buy with interest rates so low! We are looking to get dd's house refinanced the new lower rates too.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    DD sent me a recipe this morning at 0758. I suppose today I cook... haha!

Yesterdays food
    BBQ and beans
    peach, blueberries, and cherry plums
    bluebell vanilla ice cream
    Did not drink enough yesterday and feel like jerky today. parched.
    Dh bought a food dehydrator. I don't think we need it. He is growing hot peppers and wants to dehydrate them. *shrug* I thought you could just hang them. Maybe I can make a ton of banana chips without additives, or any other dried fruit really.

Todays food
    If i can wiggle away from sleepy bear, I'll get started on challah. We do have apples to put in them, but seems DD wants homemade curry chicken pot pie. So guess I'll try to do that without the pastry and make challah knot rolls to go with it. I don't have much luck with casseroles... guess just follow the directions and hope for the best.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,355 Member
    @Elise4270 I'm curious. What did DD want you to cook? I got a dehydrator for Christmas and used it a couple of times. I should probably use it more.
  • Elise4270
    @Elise4270 I'm curious. What did DD want you to cook? I got a dehydrator for Christmas and used it a couple of times. I should probably use it more.

She wanted me to make a curry chicken pot pie without cinnamon. I'm not sure why. I've never made a pot pie and I tend cook foods that could be kosher if I had a kosher kitchen... pot pie (milk + chicken)? huh? okay. I made it. Followed the directions but omitted parsley, forgot to sub cilantro and added 2 potatoes and did not add apple because she thinks it's weird that I put apple in curry's... Uh no girl, it really does belong there.. It looks eat-able. Challah is in the oven. yum yum yum BUTTER!
  • quilteryoyo
    Glad you gave it a go @Elise4270 . Hope it tastes good.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    I decided to attempt a Garmin Coach 10k plan. It looks like it adapts as you go? I chose Greg McMillan. I dunno, I am tired of planning my own runs LOL
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,881 Member
    @elise4270 - Pot pie sounds hard to make to me! Hope it is delicious!

Condo shopping was fun and our Realtor was very safe. Gloves, mask and lots of wipes! We are probably going to make an offer on one in Daytona Beach Shores; close to Wilbur to the Sea so not in the craziness of Daytona Beach. The one we like the best has a ton of furniture in it - way too much. It is not our style at all, but that's okay. We can slowly replace it. If we get it, I'll share pix. We are having feeling a little nervous about it -- but the rates are so good, DH looks at it is an investment. Just this weird time in history, what will happen? And we are going to buy something now! The news on COVID long-term effects on some people is scary.

I wanted to run this AM before heading to the coast, but I worked so much this last week, I just had to sleep this am. So I rested Wed and Sunday - this is unheard of for me!

Weight was a little bit up this morning - 148 which is fine. I would have been thrilled for that a couple months ago but it's been around 147 for a few weeks, so spoiled. I packed us smoothies for lunch which stay amazingly cold/slightly frozen in the Yeti cups. This way we don't have to stop anywhere. We had Cuban tonight and so I expect weight will be up slightly again tomorrow.

• Elise4270
    @ddmom0811 super exciting on the condo!!! Wow! I’ve notice that after losing Alex, I don’t care to save so much and would just rather enjoy the now that I have with my family. (Dh still has a nest egg in savings and we have investment and I have a healthy pension- so let’s enjoy a bit while we can). I love the condo for you! Definitely need pics, especially of the views.

The pot pie was fine. Dd loved it, dh was a turd... then he said it was really good. He thought I put too much puff pastry on top. I mean, c’mon it a pot pie. I think he was just being ornery. He can make the next one, eh? Lol!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @ddmom0811 - so exciting about the condo!! Yay! Hope you get it and we can all meet you there one day and go running on the beach!

@elise4270 - I make a chicken and dumplings recipe that is similar to a pot pie at least filling wise. You make the filling on the stove top put the couch on top and bake it. I think it makes too much dumpling top so I usually double the filling. It seems like a fall/winter dish but it is so good! I may have to try it with a curry though. That sounds so good!

I have a dehydrator but haven't used it recently. I used to dry everything, bananas, nectarines, apples, pretty much anything fruit. I haven't tried anything on the veggie side but my dd does all kinds of herbs and other veggies that she then uses to cook with.

I was lazy today, just lots of nonactive things to get done. I have been trying to get an old (Windows Vista) laptop working for Hilde to use on a surprise zoom call for her birthday. I spent most of the morning working on it and getting so frustrated. It didn't work - the Windows is too old and even though I thought I could work around the issues and download the required files independently it, failed as did any of the different ways to make Zoom work. Oh well we will go to plan B...
    Food was pretty nonexistent for most of the day... I just wasn't hungry. We had a Zoom call with friends that was fun and full of laughter. I didn't realize how much I needed it. We ordered pizza for dinner, deep dish for dh and thin crust for me. I had a huge salad with it so the day wasn't a complete wash.
    Tonight I am doing laundry and basically sitting on the coach and watching baby zoo programs on NatGeo...
    I am struggling with motivation and just not having anything to really look forward to. I will get out for a walk tomorrow and we have agility class tomorrow night but no trials planned, no races, no trips or visits with friends and no opportunity to see dd anytime soon. I think I need to find something to fill my time at home - something that isn't cleaning or reading/watching the news programs...
  • quilteryoyo
    @ddmom0811 It's exciting that you found a condo on the beach you like. I hope you get it. Glad you took another rest day. They are important too.

@Elise4270 Glad the pot pie turned out good.

@shanaber Computers can be so frustrating. I usually get to a point where I just have to walk away. Throwing out some ideas for things to do: take up photography or painting and take an online class. If you sew, maybe take up quilting. I'm working on my family's genealogy - that can take up a lot of time and it's fun when you discover new people and see how you are connected to other families in the area. (The area where I live is populated by families that have been here for generations.)

I may be working today for the first time in about 3 months. I'm needed in the 2 year old classroom. I'm going in if the AC people aren't coming today. The AC wasn't working again last week. They came Friday and found the problem, did a temporary fix, but have to come back to really fix it. Working makes planning food more difficult than if I'm home all day. I AM NOT going to eat their lunch. I always gain weight when I do. (Now, watch them have something I really like. LOL)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    @shanaber I renewed my library card and have been doing ebook checkouts. Maybe reading something other than news? Arts & crafts can take up time. I read once to think about what you did as a kid and pick that back up as an adult because it's probably something you really like.
  • Elise4270
    @shanaber I have an old windows computer I really likes and opted not to do the free windows 10 update, and it suddenly became so slow you can’t do anything on it. I suppose I could see if the computer folks can remedy it. So I think the older versions just don’t work anymore, it’s a conspiracy. On the upside, chrome books are cheap! Might pick her up something for 150-200 bucks. DD uses one and I offered to help upgrade and she refused, loves it, works great for what she needs. So, first world problem; throw money at it! Haha! Nice that you put in the effort for a surprise for her though.

Scale
    Yesterday was ooching down a bit but after all that bread yesterday, I dare not weigh.

Food today
    *shrugs*. Dh is dehydrating his peppers. I asked why my nana’s weren’t in there? So if I find the energy, I’ll slice some up. I did too much yesterday. I’m not in pain, just exhausted. I’m so tired but seem to have a bit of a headache from too much sleep... sooo tired. Maybe it’s the bread...

Diet cat
    Well, we had a few days of trying to feed the underweight cat high/regular calorie food and fluff-n-stuff runs at breakneck speed to push him out of the way to eat it. I can not seem to get this one down and the other up... impossible. I’ve been throwing her outside via crane and wench early in the am instead of feeding her. But soon she’ll be on to me and just hide. I’m not dumb, I know she’ll come if I just shake the food bowl... and take it outside. She is just impossible. Dh wants to take her to the vet to have a small sebaceous cyst cut off, I will be too embarrassed to take her. 40 pounds of diet cat food later and she still is the same weight... (I really won’t be embarrassed. The vet knows we have mr sickly underweight).

@ddmom0811 now @shanaber has a good idea, we can stop by for a visit/run/meal on our way to Cuba, dh wants to go... everywhere. I said maybe the keys, unsure about navigating Cuba. I’m all bout exploring my end of the couch daily, in my little nest.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    @elise4270 I believe there are still limitations to going to Cuba. It's easier than before but I believe you have to have a reason not just vacation. I remember only because I'd love to photograph there but I'd have to go in an organized educational photography tour. I could be wrong. It's been a while.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Happy Monday.....awww...BS....I hate Mondays B)

@quilteryoyo Love the idea of a new name!!! I can only imagine the smell of muffins and granola cooking....Yum!

@RunsOnEspresso The running coach sounds like a cool idea. I know I would push myself more and run better with a coach. Just the few Peloton running classes I have tried were great that way.

@ddmom0811 Wow...a block system might make sense, once they determine in class classes are safe. The condo sounds exciting....love the beach. Do you worry about hurricanes....buy flood insurance?

@Elise4270 Pot pie sounds good. Dried hot peppers....sound hot! Challah bread sounds incredible. Agree with you on the saving vs enjoying life. There is a balance. We have friends that save every last penny and rarely take vacations. I just feel like you need to enjoy life since tomorrow is not a given....I'd rather give up other things. I like to give my kids memories of good times instead of stuff they don't really need. They may not get a huge inheritance but they did have some fun trips.

@shanaber I am right there with you re time. My DH and I were chatting on friday and he said he just keeps thinking things will return to normal next week...or next month or in the fall. But I told him to think a year out - maybe next August if we are even lucky. We both agreed that we had to stop hoping and waiting and had to do something to fill our brains and time....maybe learn Portuguese or Spanish together, learn the piano, take an online class, etc. We both threaten that we will bail from the USA if things don't turn around...so Portugal or Costa Rica. It might be an empty threat but we want to be ready....And DD wants to get some art supplies and take a class. She needs something to feed her soul that isn't academic/med school. I am spending more time exercising and on social media...which is bad(mainly private FB groups and here) but want to learn something new. I love photoshop but I stink....need to get better.

Food:
    eggs/toast....strawberries. Some version of fish for dinner. Going to go dry this week (shocking) because I have a long ride on Saturday and need to be ready and hydrated and I could use a break....so easy to drink every night but it does mess with my sleep.

Exercise:
    Ran/ did core work today....will do some cycling and stretching this week.
  • Elise4270
    @elise4270 I believe there are still limitations to going to Cuba. It's easier than before but I believe you have to have a reason not just vacation. I remember only because I'd love to photograph there but I'd have to go in an organized educational photography tour. I could be wrong. It's been a while.

That's good to know... I just wont tell him and we'll do a girls trip! (still wanna go back to Hawaii though, so beautiful and was nice to take in the spirit of the island). I think Maui wants me to come stay with him.

@bearly63 Monday's whats that? LOL! PJ's all week here! DD is sole beneficiary for DH and I. She'd be fine for a good while, maybe life if she's smart. So, Ima pay the bills and splurge a bit on meals and little things- I mean, she just got a newer car. The peace of mind that the car isn't (likely) to poopoo on her, and shes in a safer vehicle means way more than saving the money. So, ya... I am going to relax a bit in the here and now. Sorry Dave Ramsey- life changes when you lose it.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Morning all.

My exercise bike has been here a few days and I've used it twice now. I can see how it would be useful to keep fitness up!

Now I feel a bit of a loss. I have this bike for 12 weeks, so will cost me around $200. I have 4 weeks to decide if I will buy it or just rent it for the 12 weeks.

I mentally budgeted around 600 to buy a bike, and this will cost me that if I decide to buy it.

But I've seen a nicer model for 600 else where (can't rent it). So if I see out the contract and buy the nicer one, I'll end up spending 800.

I do see this as a long term training option for cross training once I get back to running. I'm giving myself 4 weeks to see if I actually use it regularly. It's a pretty basic bike, and the seat is hard! I should go abd actually look at this other one in person, see what it's actually like.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    @elise4270, sorry if I've missed it, has that package arrived yet?