Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    I will check in some more tomorrow but just wanted to mention @RunsOnEspresso that yo might check out GoldsGymSocal on instagram. They have Les Mills virtual classes for free. I couldn't find a schedule but for sure they have recorded ones and live ones, if you just want to try them out before you decide to pay.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Well im such an idiot.

I went into the local shoe fitting place today as I wanted some advice, was curious if my gait had changed, if it would be worth looking at different shoes. He decided to do a gait analysis, I took 2 running steps and twinges the calf. It's been great, pain free for a week. 7 days. And 2 barefoot running steps and it's really sore. What a joke!

So I'm going back to physiotherapist tomorrow. And wearing compression all the time. So so incredibly frustrated.

And ate my weight in chocolate to compensate. 1 step forward, 2 steps back atm
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    I will check in some more tomorrow but just wanted to mention @RunsOnEspresso that yo might check out GoldsGymSocal on instagram. They have Les Mills virtual classes for free. I couldn't find a schedule but for sure they have recorded ones and live ones, if you just want to try them out before you decide to pay.

I already signed up for the free trial at les mills. I was browsing last night & they have SO many options! Dance classes! Core work. I have until 8/5 to decide. I picked the annual price so it's like 9.99/month. I always hoose the annual over monthly if it's a deal. Lol
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,355 Member
    edited July 2020
    @ddmom0811 Thanks. Glad to hear that the condo purchase is moving in the right direction. I'm sure your Ella time was much needed. Fourteen hours is a long day. Good luck with all of the scheduling changes.

@bearly63 Thanks. That challenge sounds really tough, but you can do it!!!

@RunsOnEspresso Love your new family member! I hope you really enjoy it.

@Avidkeo So sorry that your calf is hurting again. Hope the physiotherapist can give you some answers.

• RunsOnEspresso
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Well im such an idiot.

I went into the local shoe fitting place today as I wanted some advice, was curious if my gait had changed, if it would be worth looking at different shoes. He decided to do a gait analysis, I took 2 running steps and twinges the calf. It's been great, pain free for a week. 7 days. And 2 barefoot running steps and it's really sore. What a joke!

So I'm going back to physiotherapist tomorrow. And wearing compression all the time. So so incredibly frustrated.

And ate my weight in chocolate to compensate. 1 step forward, 2 steps back atm

Don't feel like an idiot. Most of us would do the exact same thing. What about seeing a sports doctor of some type? Make sure it's not something more? I know sometimes it's actually a hip issue or another part of the body that manifests elsewhere because of compensation.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    @RunsOnEspresso She is pretty! Can't wait till she is drowning in sweat!

@Avidkeo Oh man that is frustrating. I am dealing with my stupid hip pain....did I mention denial is a river in Egypt? I should go get another MRI...to make sure I am not doing more damage but I don't want to know and I don't want the doc to tell me the answer is to just "give it time". That is a BS answer. But I am thinking maybe I just need some good PT....assuming the stress fracture is healed and its just "edema" or muscular imbalance or tight hip flexors. Thought I'd wait until DD is in med school then she can help me B)

I will check back later after my stretch and short ride....going easy today, nothing tomorrow.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    So I thought Id hop on the bike and do a 10-15 minute test ride before work. I did 2.5 minutes and was like I'm dead 🤣

Oh how humbling a new workout can be (or something you haven't done in YEARS)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @RunsOnEspresso Definitely set a slower speed and work up! I hate that DH could ride (outside) further and faster and I am always huffing and puffing to maintain 12-15MPH. (er use too, ya know). Now I target (er, will when cleared) 4-6MPH no resistance for 20-30 minutes. Just like running, start slow. You'll get there in no time.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @RunsOnEspresso Definitely set a slower speed and work up! I hate that DH could ride (outside) further and faster and I am always huffing and puffing to maintain 12-15MPH. (er use too, ya know). Now I target (er, will when cleared) 4-6MPH no resistance for 20-30 minutes. Just like running, start slow. You'll get there in no time.

Oh, I was going slow and had only slight resistance hahahaha
  • shanaber
    I am way behind on responding to posts so going to catch up just a little....

@quilteryoyo - I am really glad you decided to do what you needed to do for you and it is nothing to feel guilty about. Honoring your husband with your own little memorial is such an amazingly loving thing to do!

@RunsOnEspresso - your lunch showed me how much more fruit and veggies I need in my life! Other than salads and an occasional piece of fruit I definitely don't get enough or enough variety.
    Love the bike! I took a cycling class with my DD a couple of years ago when I was visiting her. It was a very humbling experience! I thought it would be easy since I was in such good shape - Ha! Nope! Also the seat made my butt SO sore!
    You all are making me want to get a bike though. Honestly if I hadn't signed up for the new gym back in January before this all started I would have gotten one too and just committed to doing workouts from home from now on. I just can't imagine going to the gym before the end of the year even if they were open which they aren't (again).

@elise4270 - Great news that DD wants to go dress shopping! Getting out will be good for both of you as long as you can manage with the leg. I think swimming would feel great cause you could move it a bit without the weight and pressure on it? I am looking forward to being able to go in our pool soon. It keeps calling to me 😁
    I hope you get good news from the doctor at your next visit and you don't have to make major changes indoor program. I would also think that the university would have to at least try to accommodate what you need.

@ddmom0811 - Exciting about the condo purchase moving forward. Hope it all works out for you!
    CA now has more cases than NY and our hospitals (in some cities not all) are getting overwhelmed too. My county is now the 2nd highest in cases, hospitalizations and deaths. Only LA County has more. It is because we have so many people who refuse to follow the rules; wear a mask and social distance. There was video of a couple of young guys who went to Huntington Beach after seeing so many people w/o masks. They took a huge box of masks and tried handing them out to people and you would not believe the response and backlash they received.

@bearly63 - that challenge sounds brutal no matter how you do it! Good luck with it!
    I have decided I want to come live at your house and pay rent if you will cook for me 😋 your meals always sound so good and mine so boring!
    I don't know about a major stress fracture like yours but I do know my foot continued to ache for quite a while after it was 'completely healed'. Maybe you could send your doctor a question without actually going in to just ask if it is normal?

@Avidkeo - is there any chance you could have torn something in your calf? So frustrating! Maybe a visit to the sports doctor would be in order just to make sure nothing else is going on.

@rheddmobile - how is your knee doing?

I am doing a bit better. Still feeling overwhelmed by the virus news and all the other news... Yesterday after a short walk with Hobbes we got in the car and drove to a winery we like to pick up our win club. They have outdoor tasting now and we were the only ones there anyways. It was so nice to just get out and away for a bit. Today our housekeeper is coming so we are going to take scenic drive up the coast through Palos Verde.
    I have been trying to add a bit more speed to my walks. Running the down portion of my little overpass hill and yesterday just walking fast, well as much as Hobbes would allow since he also wanted to sniff everything.
    Food has not been great but not terrible. I just don't find much I want to eat during the day and then I don't eat at all or just a protein bar and some popcorn. Dinner has been salads and leftovers - pizza or spaghetti. Tonight will likely be Panera.

Today was not going to be a walk day but it is so cool and cloudy out (only 67F) I want to enjoy it!
  • quilteryoyo
    @shanaber Glad you are doing some better and that you had an enjoyable trip to the winery.
  • Elise4270
    @RunsOnEspresso Haha! well... You'll get stronger!

@bearly63 You know ignoring the problem isn't going to help... I mean, IF you think about it, an MRI could show that you are on track and it would make waiting it out a bit easier. But if it shows that it's not healing, or worsening... you really do need to know. From what I know, it'd be a hip replacement to remedy it. And IF it is already not healing... ooooffff.... Maybe a bone simulator? Of course, I respect that it's you decision and I understand how frustrating it is to be thwarted by health issues/and our own mortality. Just, try to look ahead 4-6 months. Would it be worth it if impatience got the best of you? I am sure I am headed for a hip replacement, they are just trying to put it off because of my age, I'd have to have it again in 15-20 years- and I appreciate that. Maybe a nutritionist er, is it a dietician that knows more? PT sound like a good plan. That psoas and IT band gets rather angry with hip issues. And if you need a second opinion don't hesitate, because honestly waiting and waiting for it to get better or worse doesn't seem to be proper management. Just my 2 *insert cents sign that no longer exists* ohh i got it... $0.02 meh.

School
    I emailed an instructor asking for advice. She did recommend I go ahead and let the dean know... done... I really can't imagine it'd cost me my spot, but then who knows.

Food
    nothing but coffee and its 1300! haha... Sure i'll find something shortly.
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2020
    duplicate post

*something went wrong...* yup
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Since you all liked my lunch the other day, here is today's.

pn874jgx02s4.jpg
  • Elise4270
    @RunsOnEspresso Yummers!!! I ate tostadas with cheese and jalapenos... paper plate...

school
    yay. The dean emailed me back and they will work with me, she moved my clinical lab day to give me more time to heal up... I still don't know when that is, might be the saturday lab... poo, but thats ok. It is with some people I know at least.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    I did 10 minutes on the bike after weight lifting. Reduced resistance to nada then brought it up to a good spot for me. I think I need to raise the handlebars. I just put it together at the lowest spot. Seat and pedals seem good but handles feel low.

10 minutes was 2.3 miles per the little display.
  • quilteryoyo
    @RunsOnEspresso Glad you are enjoying your bike. 2.3 miles in 10 minutes seems pretty fast to me. No wonder you were tired!
  • shanaber
    @Elise4270 - so glad the school is willing to work with you! I didn't think they would give up on you, there is a reason you were accepted into the program and I am sure they want to retain you!
    @RunsOnEspresso - your lunches are so colorful! Yum!! Love cherries! Also great job getting the bike adjusted and getting in 10 minutes... pretty soon you will be able to do the multi hour challenges that @bearly63 is doing!

I got a bit over 5 miles in walking today and got my pace into the 14min mile for parts of it. I did try to run just a little but it made the PM area hurt. I also discovered later that I need to be careful what sports bra I wear. I have been wearing ones I can easily get over my head and they are ones I would wear for training but not for running. The thin strap on this one hit right at the edge of the PM and made it so sore. Hopefully my regular running bras will be better. I also had a bit where I got pretty light headed and looking later saw my HR was really low - like below the lower threshold on the PM which is a bit disconcerting.

Our housekeeper came today and I haven't been able to get into the kitchen so I haven't had much to eat. I protein bar when I first got up and a fig newton I had in my desk after my walk. The house is absolutely spotless though and I am loving what she is doing. She brought her daughter and sister and they are quite a team. I love hearing them talking and laughing together even though I can't understand their Spanish - it is just too fast for me. I am thinking maybe I should hire her daughter to teach me Spanish!
  • quilteryoyo
    @shanaber yeah for the over 5 mile walk. I hadn't even thought about the bra being an issue, but I can see how it would be. Hope your sports bras work better. Sounds like you have excellent housekeepers who know how to enjoy their work.