Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    I ran my long run yesterday and didn't eat enough beforehand and afterwards nothing sounded good. I made a smoothie (yogurt, berries, peanut butter and protein powder) as my go to after long runs and it tasted so blah like nothing. I am not sure if it was me or the berries or what. I do usually add in banana and some kale neither of which we had. I really wasn't hungry the rest of the day and just wanted to rest. We were supposed to have dinner with the family from Dubai as they were flying out this morning... this time their late decision was that they had too much to pack to have dinner with us. It was too late for me to cook so we ended up having El Pollo chicken for dinner. I definitely didn't eat enough though and was so hungry in the middle of the night that it woke me up. I didn't get up and eat something, but maybe I would have slept better if I had.

Today in honor of Donut Day yesterday, my husband went to a favorite donut place (http://www.sidecardoughnuts.com) and brought me 2... they were still warm when he got them home :) I was good and only ate half of each and still have the rest for whenever. I guess if were really good I wouldn't have eaten any but there are limits to my control :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Long run today which means maintenance and exercise calorie from the week eating. That also means take away BBQ brisket sandwich with mac n cheese and fried okra.

Tomorrow is meal prep day. Looking forward to a week of wedge salads (except Monday when I am meeting a friend for lunch).
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Lol, salad again for me today but I splurged on half a watermelon last night. So good! Stayed in cal goal too :smile:
  • fitoverfortymom
    @Teerai I love watermelon! It's on the meal plan this week (and last) every day!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I've asked dh for another watermelon for the last week. Yes, I'm leaving it up to him to go to the store.. I've gotten addicted to it with fruit seasoning and fresh mozzarella. Even though all that watermelon makes me poo a lot.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @Elise4270 - have you tried Tajin on fruit? mmm - spicy but so so good!
  • Elise4270
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - have you tried Tajin on fruit? mmm - spicy but so so good!

Yes! It's the same thing as the Mexican fruit seasoning. (I see my last post left out "Mexican"...blame auto correct) I use it on the watermelon and fresh mozzarella. It's good on anything really! Sometimes I have to wrangle it from dd's room.

I finally got another watermelon today and more cheese. DH is putting roast and veggies in the IP. I over ate so much yesterday, the roast doesn't sound appetizing. I accused him of being food obsessed as the second church was over, "what's for lunch?". Haha!

And I wanna nap.

I think he's going to walk or bike today. I may take the opportunity and take some pain killers and nap since tomorrow is Monday (yuck).

My food prep today need to be to clean out the fridge. After said nap.

Did everyone beast on this weekend? Bend it to your iron will that is to do better?
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    No food prep for me today as lunch will be provided all week (due to my audit). The good news is I'm the one picking the menu each day. Tomorrow is sandwiches and a veggie tray. Although I will probably also bring in Timbits and coffee.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Last night wasn't stellar for me. Coming up on TOM so we'll see who will win the carb cravings: me vs. Mirena. I didn't win last night, but I'm determined to not let it happen again (consumed about 2500 calories over goal yesterday and I run only a very slight deficit).

I think I need some real tactics for when that feeling comes. It's such a weird feeling, too, an even stronger craving than pregnancy cravings and very specific to carbohydrates. I might try taking a walk. It's warmer now so it's easy to get out. Or even go downstairs and do a yoga video.

Any other tactics that work? Distraction does tend to work for me. And hydration.

Otherwise, I'm meal prepped for the week and have good dinners planned. I have an out-to-lunch with a friend today at a burger place, but I also have a trail run planned for tonight which will give me a little extra wiggle room. Otherwise, it's "chopped wedge salad" week. I love wedge salads, but they are tricky to eat, so I turn them into a chopped salad. It's tons of great volume.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Hi everyone, I recently joined back in on the monthly running thread, but saw this one and it definitely sounds like what I need right now! I'm really hoping to lose these last 5-8 lbs before my marathon in October, but I've been having such a hard time the last two weeks staying on track with my eating. Especially because I am starting to ramp up the mileage, I seem to just eat and eat and eat! Anyways, hopefully commiserating with the rest of you will help! although so far all this thread has done is make me hungry for lunch ;)
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2018
    @fitoverfortymom My go to lately is watermelon. You can get absolutely stuffed and consume minimal calories. If my entry finding is correct, it's less than 200 calories for 4 cups. In addition to hydrating and supplementing your iron intake, it tastes great.

I've cut my carbs back and don't seem to have as bad Tom cravings. But I'm also flirting with menopause and I'm not sure how much is normal changes. I read that reducing your carbs the week before might help too. I'm not regular enough for this tactic, could be a 20 day cycle a month long or 120 day cycle 5 days long :tired_face:
  • fitoverfortymom
    Welcome @ariceroni . What marathon are you running in October?
  • fitoverfortymom
    @Elise4270 Watermelon is a great idea! It's in my weekly rotation right now any way. I'll just stock up. We actually have a lot of clementine oranges at the moment. Maybe I'll monch those (also trying to be a little thrifty and this way I wouldn't have to stop at the store and buy anything extra).

My tactic for the next time the "carb wave" comes: Glass of water, movement distraction (walk, yoga, laundry, etc.), then clementine. That way, food isn't my first go-to (because I'm not actually hungry when this happens, it's almost always about 20 minutes after dinner).
  • Elise4270
    Okay, what's the plan today/this week?

Me?
    No breakfast. Only coffee. I have an orthodontist appointment and do not want food in my braces.

Lunch- orthodontist appointment :wink:

Dinner- probably leftover roast that dh wanted brussel sprouts in :weary: ruined the whole thing. But, I shall (likely) eat it. Or the leftover caccatorie. Or the halo I have hidden in the deep freeze. Or watermelon and cheese... Mmm!
  • Elise4270
    I didn't get around to trying @lporter229 's tzatziki dish this weekend. Maybe this week I will. I still want dolmas. I bet I can make them. Maybe send dh to the big city store next time he's thata way. Although, I will be in Dallas Wednesday. Might pop in and have lunch :yum:

@ariceroni What are some of your favorite foods? Go to snacks?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @fitoverfortymom I would add try not to keep those foods you crave in the house? My time of month is sweets. If they aren't in the house I just wander in the kitchen, look, and walk back out. Repeat about 40 times but I am way too lazy to go buy some at that point.
  • fitoverfortymom
    I'm doing the Skinny Taste shwarma bowl tonight. Pretty excited about that!

My friend had to cancel lunch, so I was able to grab an easy-to-calculate bowl from a 'healthy' place near me. Kind of works out since I didn't want to have to worry about fitting in restaurant food after last night. This will make sure today is 100% on track.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I'm doing the Skinny Taste shwarma bowl tonight. Pretty excited about that!

My friend had to cancel lunch, so I was able to grab an easy-to-calculate bowl from a 'healthy' place near me. Kind of works out since I didn't want to have to worry about fitting in restaurant food after last night. This will make sure today is 100% on track.

I love skinny taste recipes!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I ate the leftovers from the shwarma bowl for breakfast today, minus the chicken because we ate it all. But the quinoa with the tzatziki and salty olives was a nice change from my usual protein bar.

This weekend was a mixed bag for me. On Saturday I had a lara bar before my run then I made omelets for me and the hubs when I got home. We worked in the yard for hours and hours Saturday afternoon and I plain forgot to eat. By the time we went out for dinner around 9PM, I was starving, but almost too tired to eat. Our waiter forgot our tuna appetizer, I had shrimp and grits for dinner, but I didn't really have the energy to eat them all. So I was under on calories on Saturday. But boy did I make up for it on Sunday. I pretty much munched on everything all day. i kind of lost track of what I ate, so I didn't even log it.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Thanks @fitoverfortymom - I'm doing the chicago marathon for the second year! Just started *official* training last week and I'm already getting the runger attacks...

Plan for the day is wheat cereal and a fruit smoothie for breakfast, a TLT (like BLT but with tempeh "bacon") and kimchi for lunch, and a taco salad bowl for dinner. Snacks are some strawberries and steamed sweet potato with a few mini marshmallows on top. I've already made it through breakfast, lunch, and my snacks ok, but those are the easy part since I'm at work all day. My biggest struggle is staying on track for dinner and in the evenings. For a while I was really good about not eating anything past 7pm, which helped cut down a TON on my random snack/chip attacks but I kinda fell off that wagon. I think my mini goal for today will be to not eat anything else after dinner!

Thanks for the questions @Elise4270 ! Favorite meals right now are definitely TLT sandwiches (see above), tofu poke bowls, and chickpea curry. Though I recently overdid it with the curry so I'm taking a little break from that recipe haha. I got a bunch of turnips this week in my CSA box, so I'm planning to make an Ethiopian turnip and chickpea stew. Which in hindsight may be a little similar to the curry recipe I'm currently taking a break from, hmm...
    As far as snacks go, I usually try to stick with fruits/veggies for my snacks. This week I have strawberries (they were on super sale) and sweet potatoes (another thing I got a lot of in my CSA box). I also always have dates on hand for when I am craving something super sweet haha. Though if I'm being honest I should probably include chips and french fries in that list too. It doesn't help that my boyfriend is obsessed with fries (he eats them 4-5x a week) and the place two blocks away makes the greasiest, yummiest fries ever :sweat: