Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Cauliflower pizza is way too much work! I draw the line at fake pizza!!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    When I did LCHF I made a fake pizza. The crust was mostly cheese (and maybe almond flour and coconut flour for texture?). Topped with tomato sauce... and cheese. There was a lot of cheese. I didn't make it again.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I like using chicken breast as a pizza crust. Butterfly it, add toppings, bake. I did a philly cheesesteak pizza that way once.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I like using chicken breast as a pizza crust. Butterfly it, add toppings, bake. I did a philly cheesesteak pizza that way once.

That sounds pretty good!!!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Mixture of wild rice and jasmine rice in the rice cooker for stuffed peppers... I'm leaning towards also adding ground chicken, onion, garlic, mushrooms and fresh thyme for the filling.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @Elise4270 It was! And probably a bit better for you than the RealGood ones. LOL

I just can't bring myself to eat cauliflower crust and I like cauliflower.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I need to hop in on this thread. May has been a slacker month all the way around. I have very little motivation to cook or grocery shop for healthy foods. I need some accountability!
  • Elise4270
    Well then, @lporter229 What's on today's menu? What changes do you need to make? Where can you do better?

All, What's your "do better" today?

----
    I headed out to Starbucks this morning. I had a stressful yesterday and wanted a pick me up.(work. Can't go into on social media. I'd hate to get into more trouble or piss someone else off :wink: ).

I was right. Starbucks is closed the next few weeks. It was gutted. Wow! Okay...

So breakfast was home coffee and a protein shake.

Lunch? Dunno. I have a stress headache and food is not appealing.

Dinner? Dunno.

Not really doing better today... Yet. :smiley:
  • fitoverfortymom
    The last two weeks have been super strong. I'm back within range, although still a few lbs higher than I'd like to be. My "do better" is putting together solid meal plans. I do pretty well, but I get into food ruts. Tracking macros has helped at least keep me interested in the process rather than just filling my calories with cheese and crackers and fruit (yum!!).
  • Purplebunnysarah
    My do better needs to be to eat satiating foods at dinner so I'm not scrounging snacks in the evening. We don't have much left in the house for snacking so my choices are generally good but even good choices add on calories!

Last night was okay though. I had a deficit for the day and my only evening snack was the sugar free slushie I picked up on the way back from my run.
  • lporter229
    @Elise4270- This morning I had an iced coffee with protein powder and a protein bar for breakfast (lazy, but not too terrible in calories and also filling). For lunch I am having an antipasto salad because we had a party this weekend where we do a Euro style breakfast and I have lots of left over meats, cheeses and olives. Not the worst choice, but pretty high in fat and for some reason this always feels like an indulgent meal to me. I am making homemade Thai curry and rice for dinner. This will be my "do better" today, because I am ignoring all of the left over food and actually going to cook. Snacks will be stuffed grape leaves and some fresh pineapple. If I can keep it at that and ignore all of the smores makings, potato chips and cheese curds in my house, I will come in under calorie goal, even though far exceeding my fat goal and also low on protein.

The thing is that I am usually pretty good, at least during the week, about planning my meals, hitting my macros and getting plenty of nutrients from fresh fruits and veggies. And I don't over do it on the junk food. Lately I have been lazy though and have been cooking out of convenience and eating all of the crap that finds its way into my house from people other than myself. My goal for today is mainly to get my attitude and motivation back on track. It's not that I am doing too terribly, I just kind of feel like I am off the track if that makes sense.
  • Elise4270
    I LOVE stuffed grape leaves!!! Best food ever!
  • lporter229
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I LOVE stuffed grape leaves!!! Best food ever!

Yes!!!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    I definitely know that feeling of doing ok but being off track...
    We had the kitchen in our hotel and I bought good things for breakfast and snacks... I did eat pretty good breakfasts all but Sunday and Monday and had 1/2 of a hotel waffle and PB that I bought for my pre-run snack. Often though our in room snacks became lunch which wasn't bad but there just wasn't enough to be satisfying. We ate an entire tray of veggies along with cheese and crackers in just a 3 days and the day the power went out in the entire area (Salem all the way to Vancouver, Wa) it was also dinner.

Now I just need to get to the grocery store and restock my fridge and freezer.

Also just threw out all my food plans for the week when my husband told my his brother and family will be here this afternoon. I didn't think they were coming until Friday. They are flying back to Dubai on Saturday and their daughter will stay with us for a few more days before flying to Belgium. I love them dearly but they are the pickiest eaters I have ever met and we usually just end up going out. Their daughter has decided to be vegan and is extremely picky about what veggies she will or won't eat (this since she was little). I am pretty sure she isn't getting enough of any nutrients and she is a runner so I am not at all clear how that will work...

On another note - I had some leftover quinoa and threw together a little salad with chopped carrots, celery, peppers, olives and gorgonzola cheese last night to go with our chicken. I did not expect my husband to even try it let alone eat it but it was all I could find in our empty fridge. I was amazed when he took some and admitted that he liked it!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    My stuffed peppers last night turned out okay. I feel like they were missing one element of flavour. I think the rice needed to be cooked in broth instead of water. Otherwise pretty good, and leftovers for the rest of the week.
  • fitoverfortymom
    I definitely felt off track for a while. Pretty much since December I've had a hard time getting my footing nutritionally. Getting the Mirena didn't help. A diet break (or two) didn't help. Intense race training didn't help. Taking a legit vacation and just enjoying it to the fullest DID help. I came back and have attacked my diet with a renewed energy.

I still haven't scheduled the Mirena removal. I'm kind of trying to conquer the cravings I feel like it incites and just not keeping the foods that lead me to binge in the house. So far it's working this month. I figure if I can get over the hump of a month without the Mirena-binges, I feel like I can stick with it.
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2018
    End of the day check in.

I had taco bueno beef tacos for lunch and soda then mint halo with pecans and unsweetened shredded coconut for dinner.

Sooo. Did not do better today. But calorie wise, I'm fine. DH went to Sam's so there's a fair chance I'll eat something he brings home and go over my over my calories. :smiley:

ETA how'd everyone else do this fine day?
  • shanaber
    Well - it is still early here and I have no idea what dinner will be. Waiting to hear from the in-laws and/or my husband on what we are doing... I had plans - maybe I should just do what I planned and hopefully not have to just 'save it' for another day.
    I have eaten pretty well today, I just need to get some protein in. My DH brought me a latte macchiato from Starbucks that I think I will add some protein powder to. I had him get an extra shot in it and I am pretty sure it is now my favorite drink!
    I gained about 4 lbs on the 2 combined trips and have already lost more than 2. I can still see the puffiness in my face so hopefully that will be gone by the end of the week and maybe I will be down a bit!

Where has @7lenny7 been? I miss his dinner ideas!
  • Elise4270
    I think @7lenny7 is on a road trip with the kiddos.
  • shanaber
    Ahh - that makes sense. Thanks @Elise4270! Good to know he hasn't abandoned us :)