Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    @Elise4270 same here, mine is consistently in the 55-60 range -_- which I guess is still very healthy/low by normal standards...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I ate a bunch of plums off my tree at lunch. Now I'm plum full.

@shanaber I replied that I've found BCAA's before bed to significantly encourage recovery, but my post seems to have gone to the ether. So far I'm managing without a total rest day. My workouts are not long, just hotter than hell. :smiley:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I've found no difference when I've taken BCAAs so I stopped.

Re: RHR mine used to be 55-58 but lately been around 63ish. My Vo2 is always at 33 and physically I am 13 years older than I actually am. I am apparently very out of shape.
  • Elise4270

Aww, that sucks. I like them. They seem to make a big difference in the quality of my workouts and recovery. I thought about adding some creatine while I'm at it. But i hate the tummy farts and bloat that comes with it.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Aww, that sucks. I like them. They seem to make a big difference in the quality of my workouts and recovery. I thought about adding some creatine while I'm at it. But i hate the tummy farts and bloat that comes with it.

I use creatine hci in a microdose. I don't have any of that. The hci is supposed to be better about that than the other one.

I use con crete. Right now I have blue raspberry because it was the cheapest flavor on amazon. I love the taste.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Elise when I said my resting heart rate is high- I mean like 80+ even when I was in half marathon shape, which now that I am writing this, that may contribute to the freak outs when my blood pressure is at the floor... hmmm
    Re: bcaa - I am not consistent enough at paying attention to say with certainty that they help or not... but I travel enough that I’m always dealing with “different” water... and so I’m never really used to how local water tastes. So, I essentially view it as expensive koolaid- worst case scenario it makes water taste better, and thus I drink more, and is probably better for me than koolaid.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Not my best week, but not my worst week. Carb cravings are back, but I'm managing them--which has meant being slightly at or above maintenance most of the week. I mean, who really wants to lose the last 10lbs anyway?

One week to my next HM.
  • Elise4270
    @RunsOnEspresso i looked for our creatine. DH said it was old so he threw it out. *Sigh* He never cleans or throws stuff out. I'll have a look at the con crete.

Foods.

I'm off to an okay start. Americano and egg bites for breakfast. Fridays I'd planned on skipping lunch but think it'd be better to least have a salad.

Dinner. Watermelon? LOL!

Today's my first rest day in 5 days. I may be stir crazy this evening. Or perhaps I'll do some cleaning, water the trees and fight the mosquito.
  • Elise4270
    I have to say that in the last month that I've cut non-food foods/ processed foods out of my diet my weight has plateaued, or ever so slightly is trending downwards. Garmin says my lean body mass is trending up and my BF is trending down.

In addition, my appetite is mine to control. I dont have the runaway hungries, but that could change with more and more running.

I have a dexa scan the 20th of july. I doubt my BF is less than my last vist (32.2%) about a year ago when i was 5 pounds lighter. But i think I'm on to something, finally. Only took me 40+ years to learn how I should eat.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @Elise4270 - only took me 60+ years and I am still working on figuring it out! I did decide today that I am making an appointment with the nutritionist again - will be calling on Monday! If I say it here then I have to get it done - right?
    I didn't eat much this morning before my run because I was worried about the antibiotics upsetting things which is kind of dumb because they say to take with food to prevent stomach upset... Oh well it ended up being fine other than need a bathroom break around mile 4 and then around mile 5 the rungrys started in. When I got home though they disappeared and I really didn't feel like I could eat much of anything. I did manage a string cheese mostly because Hobbes started following me around waiting for his treat even though he only ran the 1st 1.5 miles of it (yes I did share it with him - who could resist that face?). I made myself some protein chocolate milk and counted that for breakfast after my shower.
    We are heading to Costco to get it out of the way for the weekend. My plan is to make those dang stuffed peppers tonight in the IP! I already had to throw away 2 cucumbers because we just didn't eat them fast enough.
  • Elise4270
    Weekly Food plans?

Me? We bought 3 roasts, tiny taters, carrots, onions, and asparagus. I still have some watermelon, klamata and these different green olives, fresh mozzarella, pecans, green bananas for 1 maybe 2 more days and plums off the tree which pair amazingly with sliced mild sweet yellow onion.

Now i just need to be sure i pack a lunch (or come home) and not hemhaw over what I'm eating and just buy a diet coke and fried cheese sticks everyday. Although, i really do like fried cheese sticks and coke. :blush:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    oh dear.

I seem to have entirely lost motivation for running, but found motivation for eating. This is not good.

Although, I have a marathon to run on Saturday, so overeating this week may not be such an awful thing. The not-bothered-about-running thing could be a bit of an issue though.......

I need to check in here more. This morning, given that I rarely eat breakfast until 10.30ish, I have had three chocolate digestives, before my usual bowl of granola, yoghurt, kefir and fruit.

I feel sick.

The wine, gin and cognac last night didn't help either. Who DOES that on a Sunday knowing they have work the next day?

need to pull myself together.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    I seriously need to start logging food/water. Who wants to be my friend and yell at me? Lol
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2018
    I seriously need to start logging food/water. Who wants to be my friend and yell at me? Lol

YOU'RE NOT LOGGIN? WHATS THE MATTER WITH YOU SOLDIER! DID YOUR MAMA RAISE YOU TO BE AN UNHEALTHY, LAZY, CRYBABY, DUM DUM!

HAHA!
    Love ya!

ETA if you don't have to log, I can have fried cheeseand a coke for lunch... maybe even a tostada :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    @girlinahat mmm chocolate. Hope you feel better soon. Send the chocolate to me, I'll help you not eat it!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    I figure I'm back to around 80% today. Food this weekend was not good. I had ice cream for several meals. But I think I also got my head into a better space, and that's really what I need. I think I'm prone to situational depression and/or anxiety and until I bootstrap out of it (via self-care) I self-medicate with food.

Today's food won't be fantastic as my boss is taking me out to lunch (I haven't seen her in at least 2 years and it might actually be 4 years - I can't remember the last time she visited). But I'll aim for a light supper. And maybe I'll run tonight if I'm still feeling okay.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Survived father's day under maintenance (with exercise calories, of course), so I see that as a win! Race coming up Saturday, which means more carbs in the diet (HAPPY).

Next week I go to Santa Monica with hubby and I've already pre-logged 2000 calories of In N Out burger for lunch one day. So yeah, that's gonna be a thing.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    I really must be feeling better. My resting HR is back down in the mid-60s as opposed to the mid 70s like it was over the weekend.
  • Elise4270
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I really must be feeling better. My resting HR is back down in the mid-60s as opposed to the mid 70s like it was over the weekend.

Sounds like a bit of stress got ya. I know those audits, no matter how good they go are always stressful.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Elise4270 wrote: »

YOU'RE NOT LOGGIN? WHATS THE MATTER WITH YOU SOLDIER! DID YOUR MAMA RAISE YOU TO BE AN UNHEALTHY, LAZY, CRYBABY, DUM DUM!

HAHA!
    Love ya!

ETA if you don't have to log, I can have fried cheeseand a coke for lunch... maybe even a tostada :smiley:

Lol thanks!

I haven't been too unhealthy. I just don't know if I'm fueling well. And I sometimes I log everything but dinner. Which doesn't help fogure out if I'm eating enough. Hah