Sammy's OMAD Path

Options

Replies

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    What's special about Sonic's water? Sorry if that's a dumb question -- I didn't grow up with Sonic!

It isn't the water itself. Its the ice, they have the most wonderful semi-crushed ice.

And for an Ice eater like me, it in my daily routine.

Oh gracious, sweet lady, do you actually crave ice? I used to crave it, daily, for years! Please have your iron checked. Pica is a medical term used to describe cravings for non-foods like baking soda, nail polish, sand... and ice. Ice being especially associated with a severe iron deficiency. After I learned about it, I had my iron checked and I had severe anemia due to heavy menstrual cycles.

Agreed! This is true of many of the women in my family, myself included...it's a weird phenomenon but sure enough, I've been on iron for YEARS.
  • sammygold2015
    sammygold2015 Posts: 630 Member
    Options

Oh gracious, sweet lady, do you actually crave ice? I used to crave it, daily, for years! Please have your iron checked. Pica is a medical term used to describe cravings for non-foods like baking soda, nail polish, sand... and ice. Ice being especially associated with a severe iron deficiency. After I learned about it, I had my iron checked and I had severe anemia due to heavy menstrual cycles.

I have been an ice eater my entire life, and I was only anemic when I was pregnant with my oldest. I haven't been tested since I had my daughter so I guess it would hurt to have it looked at again.
  • gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    What's special about Sonic's water? Sorry if that's a dumb question -- I didn't grow up with Sonic!

It isn't the water itself. Its the ice, they have the most wonderful semi-crushed ice.

And for an Ice eater like me, it in my daily routine.

I also worked with a woman who loved to chew ice and was diagnosed with low iron and her doc told her that craving ice to chew was a symptom.
  • sammygold2015
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

I do wonder about totally eating by feel though. If that worked without any pre-deternined diet schedule, none of us would have gotten fat. For about the 1st 33-yrs of my life, that worked for me and I ate all I wanted, what I wanted, when I wanted and I didn't gain weight much (was about 160-lbs at age 25, 180 at ages 27-33 or so and then started gaining after that). I even force fed-myself to try to gain weight when I was lower than 160 (16-yr old at 145 at my same height as I'm at now). At age 33 I went back to grad school and stayed up late everynight doing homework and usually ate chips and salsa and ice-cream to keep me going. That was the beginning of my bad weight gain!

So you spent most of your life a good weight. I have always been obese, except for 3 years in high school when my aunt put me on the Atkins diet and monitored all my food.

For the past two years I have maintained within 20 lbs, just by trying to learn my intuition with food. It is really hard for me to manage. It is like once I taste food, I become a monster. I cant let food waste. I don't know when I will eat again, if I will eat again. But that has been my problem from the start.

With OMAD i can kind of hear that voice or reason. If I am full I am gonna take full advantage of it.
  • sammygold2015
    Options
    So a lovely dinner of 2 BBQ Chicken sliders, Broccoli steamed, and raw onions and radishes. Not pictured a large glass of chocolate milk.

gncp7yiddn4f.jpg
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I do wonder about totally eating by feel though. If that worked without any pre-deternined diet schedule, none of us would have gotten fat. For about the 1st 33-yrs of my life, that worked for me and I ate all I wanted, what I wanted, when I wanted and I didn't gain weight much (was about 160-lbs at age 25, 180 at ages 27-33 or so and then started gaining after that). I even force fed-myself to try to gain weight when I was lower than 160 (16-yr old at 145 at my same height as I'm at now). At age 33 I went back to grad school and stayed up late everynight doing homework and usually ate chips and salsa and ice-cream to keep me going. That was the beginning of my bad weight gain!

So you spent most of your life a good weight. I have always been obese, except for 3 years in high school when my aunt put me on the Atkins diet and monitored all my food.

For the past two years I have maintained within 20 lbs, just by trying to learn my intuition with food. It is really hard for me to manage. It is like once I taste food, I become a monster. I cant let food waste. I don't know when I will eat again, if I will eat again. But that has been my problem from the start.

With OMAD i can kind of hear that voice or reason. If I am full I am gonna take full advantage of it.

Not knowing when I'm going to eat isn't something I've experienced much (except for one short period in college). We always had a ton of food in the house when i grew up. I think part of going by feeling could be helped by having a lot on hand (via rite and quantity). I like my kids eating yogurt and if i buy it Infrequently, they will eat it as fast as they can. If i buy a lot and keep doing that, they get tired of pounding it and then self regulate and only eat maybe one a day (small pre - packaged container).

Then again having too much on hand might not be a good idea for some also. OMAD does give us structure (instead of just intuitive eating) and I think it is just what the Dr. ordered for most if not all of us! Good luck.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I have to say that until I got sidetracked by calorie counting--to make sure I was getting enough--I was loving going by intuition and I am now loving it again. The whole premise is that some days you will be hungrier than others when you aren't restricting and listening to and taking authority over that belly beast. lol

**I feel your pain when it comes to the high school years. I was the same height as I am now, 5'5", and I weighed 140 at the end of my 8th grade year. My doctor told my mom that I was "overweight". I lost 15 pounds before entering 9th grade and by the end of the year I was 150 and picked on by my step dad on daily basis, "Lard *kitten*", "Lazy *kitten*", "Fat *kitten*", and I was considered "fat" by classmates as well. I would kill to be that "fat" again. But, that's when the yo-yoing began, and the increase in gains grew worse after high school and I've always been on a diet. *Sigh* I feel so much freer now! I can actually see myself making goal and sticking with the intermittent fasting. It's so much easier because it's a lifestyle change and not a diet. Working my way down to being "fat" at 150 right now, that's one of my goals along the way, and then ultimately get to 135. :-)
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    So a lovely dinner of 2 BBQ Chicken sliders, Broccoli steamed, and raw onions and radishes. Not pictured a large glass of chocolate milk.

gncp7yiddn4f.jpg

Gorgeous meal!!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I was really referring to this group, the here and now. We've made the commitment to eat well and to limit our meal frequency, but yet sometimes wonder how much should we eat at our one meal. A certain number of calories? One plate? etc. Some feel guilty about reaching that full feeling based on past history. I know I did at first. Some feel like they might be starving themselves if they are full after 600 cal based on things that have been written. I've decided that I want to be confident, to be able to go into any circumstance and know that I'm going to not eat more than that point where I feel full. This is something I've had to learn and over the past year I've gotten good at what I call "pushing away" as soon as I reach a certain point of satiety, regardless of whether or not there is more on my plate. Often my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I prepare too much food but I absolutely will not finish it if I've reached that first feeling of fullness. For others this might be natural but for me this is new behavior.

When I was young of course I was taught to "clean your plate young man". Most of my adult life I ate for pleasure, I gorged. Fullness was an annoyance, something to ignore until the point where you could no longer ignore it. So basically I was too frequently over-eating, the wrong foods. The recipe for steady weight gain.
  • barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Reading you all folks,
    I guess there is a difference once you are Omad-adapted between stuffing yourself obsessive-compulsively and eating to your NATURAL satiety. I imagine this is the point those who are eating more intuitively in this thread are actually doing, which is different from prior addictive behaviours. This is the beauty of OMAD which allows us to manage those cravings UNTIL they naturally disappear because they were FALSE, induced by advertising, consumerism, family programing and fear of starvation brain wash
  • gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    jvcinv wrote: »
    I hear ya. I was really referring to this group, the here and now. We've made the commitment to eat well and to limit our meal frequency, but yet sometimes wonder how much should we eat at our one meal. A certain number of calories? One plate? etc. Some feel guilty about reaching that full feeling based on past history. I know I did at first. Some feel like they might be starving themselves if they are full after 600 cal based on things that have been written. I've decided that I want to be confident, to be able to go into any circumstance and know that I'm going to not eat more than that point where I feel full. This is something I've had to learn and over the past year I've gotten good at what I call "pushing away" as soon as I reach a certain point of satiety, regardless of whether or not there is more on my plate. Often my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I prepare too much food but I absolutely will not finish it if I've reached that first feeling of fullness. For others this might be natural but for me this is new behavior.

When I was young of course I was taught to "clean your plate young man". Most of my adult life I ate for pleasure, I gorged. Fullness was an annoyance, something to ignore until the point where you could no longer ignore it. So basically I was too frequently over-eating, the wrong foods. The recipe for steady weight gain.

This is me right now. I am perpetually confused about how much I should be eating. Too much, too little? Some of these delicious meals don't really look like they would add up to many calories, and then there are posts about eating a lot of calories and still losing. I am not losing very steadily. I don't have a whole lot to lose, but I'm not seeing the weight come off. I'll keep trying!
  • sammygold2015
    Options
    jvcinv wrote: »

Isn't it crazy the things that stick.
  • sammygold2015
    Options
    picked on by my step dad on daily basis, "Lard *kitten*", "Lazy *kitten*", "Fat *kitten*",

I would have throat punched him. Just saying.
  • sammygold2015
    Options

Then again having too much on hand might not be a good idea for some also. OMAD does give us structure (instead of just intuitive eating) and I think it is just what the Dr. ordered for most if not all of us! Good luck.

I don't need a Dr. to say this works, (though I am a big fan of Dr. Berg) I just love it, and it works for me! It works for others that a faithful enough to the process.

Thanks for the luck!

• sammygold2015
    Options
    barbheart wrote: »
    This is the beauty of OMAD which allows us to manage those cravings UNTIL they naturally disappear because they were FALSE, induced by advertising, consumerism, family programing and fear of starvation brain wash

This. Just this.

Well put!

• mistymeadows2005
    Options

gncp7yiddn4f.jpg

CHOCOLATE MILKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK NOM NOM NOM
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    picked on by my step dad on daily basis, "Lard *kitten*", "Lazy *kitten*", "Fat *kitten*",

I would have throat punched him. Just saying.

Lol, I hated him. He was so cruel and emotionally abusive. I didn't shed a tear for that monster when he died.
  • sammygold2015
    Options

I got the inspiration from what do you drink thread. It was wonderful. I waited till I was done eating, and then gulped it down. I was so satisfied. It was beautiful, and I will probably add it to my routine.

• sammygold2015
    Options

Lol, I hated him. He was so cruel and emotionally abusive. I didn't shed a tear for that monster when he died.

Good. Monsters don't deserve sympathy.
  • mistymeadows2005
    Options

I got the inspiration from what do you drink thread. It was wonderful. I waited till I was done eating, and then gulped it down. I was so satisfied. It was beautiful, and I will probably add it to my routine.

YASSSSSSSSSSSSS I had some last weekend with a white choc macadamia nut cookie - it was heaven on earth <3 Something about milk that finishes a meal off perfectly!