MAY 2018 CHALLENGE

Options

Replies

• xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss You always have such sage advice! I love reading what your responses are, not just to me, but to all of us. We're lucky to have people around with such great knowledge and words of advice.
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Welcome @PeaceQT18 !
  • PeaceQT18
    PeaceQT18 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am still having a hard time understanding the whole "Macro's Thingy but I am gonna do this!!!
  • ivy_photos
    ivy_photos Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!

I know I'm super late posting this, but I had a very emotional week last week and fell straight off the wagon last Sunday. I'm back on track and figure I'd check in to keep accountable.

Starting weight: 197.5
    Goal weight: 170 by July 1

May 6: 197.5 (day before I started Keto)
    May 13: 192
    May 20: 190
    May 27
    May 30

Have a great weekend y'all!
  • PeaceQT18
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    PeaceQT18 wrote: »
    I am still having a hard time understanding the whole "Macro's Thingy but I am gonna do this!!!

@PeaceQT18

Carbs are a hard limit. 20-50 grams, depending on your program.

Protein is a MINIMUM range. Usually around 1 gram of protein based on your lean body mass in pounds (the part that isn't body fat percentage, so if your body fat is 30%, your LBM is 70%. If your weight was 200 pounds (all random examples for calculations here - I guess this would make you really tall! LOL), that would mean that your LBM is 140 pounds, and you'd want to aim for 140 grams of protein (100 grams of protein is pretty safe a number for most women, if you don't have time to calculate). You should be able to safely go over this number, but you don't want to be under it by a good bit often.

Fats fill in for satiety, and once you stop losing stored body fat, for energy. Your entire deficit should come out of your fat calories, since we burn body fat to make up the deficit of what our body needs to function.

So continuing the wacky, random calculation above: (each gram of carb or protein is 4 calories, each fat gram is 9 calories)

Carbs - 20 grams = 80 calories
    Protein - 140 grams = 560 calories

2000 calories before deficit minus above:

2000 - 80 - 560 = 1360 calories

1360 calories from fat - is roughly 151 grams of fat - if you're maintaining.

If you're wanting to lose a pound a week - this is minus 500 daily calories...(500 calories times 7 days = 3500 calories per week, which is the number of calories per pound)

so that would be: 1360 - 500 = 860 total fat calories = 95-96 grams of fat.

(The remaining 54-55 grams of fat or 500 calories will come from burning your stored body fat, so your body will still be USING 2000 calories a day.)

Aiming for 2 pounds a week, that would be 1360 - 1000 calories = 360 fat calories = 40 grams of fat to eat

The 111 grams of fat/1000 calories deficit a day - will come from burning your own body fat.

Now, intentionally not eating when hungry will not help you. Intentionally eating when not hungry won't either. Aim for 1 pound a week loss until you get a handle on the whole process and what your metabolism actually looks like...

• PeaceQT18
    Options
    Ok so since I am at 181, and I am REALLY Aiming for 2 pounds a week, that would be...
    40 grams of fat, 20 grams of carbs and 40 grams of protein???

I’m so sorry but I’m really confused here. I heard all the grams should add up to 100???
  • eggfooyamyam
    eggfooyamyam Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    @PeaceQT18 Start with watching videos by Dr Berg - he explains everything in terms you can understand and absorb. His videos are on youtube - just search for "Keto Dr Berg" This is a good place to start. When I first started I watched about 1 hour of videos a day to learn the Keto process. Also, go to RULED ME website and start by using their beginners' guide. I just followed their program for the first 3 weeks.
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    PeaceQT18 wrote: »
    Ok so since I am at 181, and I am REALLY Aiming for 2 pounds a week, that would be...
    40 grams of fat, 20 grams of carbs and 40 grams of protein???

I’m so sorry but I’m really confused here. I heard all the grams should add up to 100???

The % is going to add up to 100, not the grams. For a 2lb a week loss, eat minimum 140g Protein, 20g carbs, and 40g fat. How active you are, and other factors may determine how much you lose.

• xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto for 3 months now and I still don't know how the %s work out :sweat_smile:
    I just plug in my info in the ruled.me macro calculator and follow it. ^_^
    Even reading through @KnitOrMiss post about the break down confuses me. I'm claiming ignorance is bliss on this one :sweat_smile:
  • rae1388
    rae1388 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto for 3 months now and I still don't know how the %s work out :sweat_smile:
    I just plug in my info in the ruled.me macro calculator and follow it. ^_^
    Even reading through @KnitOrMiss post about the break down confuses me. I'm claiming ignorance is bliss on this one :sweat_smile:

@xDaniDragonflyx I wish there was a "haha" button like there is a "like" button. I'm totally there with you. I have a way I'm doing it, I have no idea if it is right, but I'm seeing progress so for now I'm going to stick with what I've been doing.
  • d_dc_lady
    d_dc_lady Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    @PeaceQT18 Try using a macro calculator to figure out your goal macros. www.keto-calculator.ankerl.com is great!
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    since last measuring BF (May 6th) with calipper, i am down to 12,7% again by gaining slowly weight as it should be. it simply takes more time than i thought...

May 1st: 173.1
    May 6th: 174.4
    May 13th: 176.8
    May 20th: 177.0
    May 27th:175.9
    May 30th:
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Well blast it, we went away for a few days and I was wonderfully good for three of them and then last two was certainly off Keto and any form of diet but certainly not off alcohol and carbs, net result up 6 pounds in two days (I took my scales so I know it was the last two days!)

Now; I feel everyone has a talent and this is apparently mine! I know it's mainly water weight but nevertheless it's still not all gone and we've been back 4 days so I'm a little fed up with this and with me.

So I've been thinking about this and the reality of me being able to loose any weight during June and July as these months are very busy indeed for us with trips away and friends visiting as well. So I think realistically my plan is: to try to be about the same weight at the end of July as I am now.

This should be achievable and takes the pressure of me feeling I've failed when actually I'm 30 pounds lighter than September and within normal range for my height (top end of normal but no longer obese!) So my goal for end of July is to be no more than 154 which keeps me with the 30 pound loss since end September.

On that note, I'm just about to post the June Challenge!! So welcome to all the new. 'Challengers', welcome back to all the returning ones and keep on going to all the regulars!

SW 184. 24 Sept

May 1st - 154.4
    Sunday 05/06 153.8
    Sunday 05/13 153.8
    Sunday 05/20. 151.4.
    Sunday 05/27 153.8
    May 31st -
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Starting Weight: 312.8
    First day of Keto : May 4th

May 1: 286.4
    Sunday 5/6: 285.4 (-1.0)
    Sunday 5/13: 282.6 (-2.8)
    Sunday 5/20: 281.4 (-1.2)
    Sunday 5/27: 277.2 (-4.2!!!)
    Thursday 5/31:

Personal Goal (weight) by Jun 1: 275 *I may reach it, yay!!!*

I decided to begin IF (16:8) this past week and I am hooked! The only day I did not was yesterday and that was due to a family breakfast at 8:00am. I wasn't sure if it would be feasible for me to wait until around noon to eat since I go to the gym at 4:30am, however so far so good. I do keep some almonds on hand in case I am just starving, however those same almonds are still tucked away in my lunch tote.

I want to think everyone for being so supportive and inspiring to everyone. While I may not post very often, I do read posts. I joined some Keto groups on FB and while I love getting ideas and seeing peoples successes, people can be awful. I am glad this group is encouraging and can give advice with being the hard core "Keto police". Best of luck to everyone on getting closer to their goals this month and from here on out!
  • stormywxs288
    stormywxs288 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @NikkiJRM, @rae1388 and @KnitOrMiss, Thanks again for your support and advice. I value your opinions and I totally agree with your sensible informed approaches to keto. However, being relatively new to keto (4 months), I was really wanting to see how I would react to an extended fast. My carb-fest gave me an excuse to try it. Now extended fasting is out of my system and I’m ready to try the rolling pin therapy Nikki posted.

Warning this is not a recommendation or an endorsement for extended fasting. In my experiment of one I wanted to try an extended fast of 48 hours for a variety of reasons. I won’t bore you with my feeble-minded reasoning, but I will say this is the likely the first and last time I will try this experiment.

Despite gaining over 5 pounds from carb binging earlier this week, my 48-hour fasting resulted in net loss of 1.4 pounds this week. However, the fasting experiment does not end here. The real question is, can I resume my steady moderate keto habits and behaviors after such an extreme experiment?

To me the real magic of keto has been appetite control. Eating fat has enabled me to implement intermittent fasting for almost 4 months now. I’m now very comfortable with an 18/6 fasting/eating cycle. My 48-hour fast helped me recover from a carb binging weekend. But, I’m not sure it was worth risking the comfortable 18/6 routine that has worked so well for me the last four months.

Bottom line is I’m back on a keto track that has helped lose 47.6 pounds this year. I’m inching closer to my initial 2018 MFP goal of losing 50 pounds. Looks like June will be my month. Bring it!

4ItHOXb.jpg4ItHm8.png