MAY 2018 CHALLENGE

Options

Replies

• cbishop7777
    cbishop7777 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Well, it doesn't look like I'm going to get to the 50s this month, but the weight I gained last week is gone as I knew it would be. No significant loss this month, which is disappointing for sure, but based on the posts here this week, I'm not the only one. That is very comforting. Thank you all for being so supportive and positive! Let's do June!

May 1st - 161
    May 6th - 160
    May 13th - 160.5
    May 20th - 163
    May 27th - 160.5
    May 31st

Goal weight 140
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto for 3 months now and I still don't know how the %s work out :sweat_smile:
    I just plug in my info in the ruled.me macro calculator and follow it. ^_^
    Even reading through @KnitOrMiss post about the break down confuses me. I'm claiming ignorance is bliss on this one :sweat_smile:

For what it's worth, I don't follow percentages, but only grams because your percentages could be perfectly spaced, but the calories be through the roof! I need a higher calorie deficit to lose any weight at all.
    I follow a set chart of macro GRAMS and if I stay in those grams, the calories always add up where I want them to. (I follow the chart on the "Ketogenic Dieters" Facebook page or the mindyourmacros.co calculator.
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    katrados wrote: »
    Hello Keto friends! I have reached my weight goal!

May 1st - 143.3
    May 6th - 140.6
    May 13th - 140.2
    May 20th - 140.2
    May 27th - 136.6
    May 30th

I am going to stick on this healthy diet for a while though. Afraid the water weight might come back and if I loose a few pounds more that will be also good

Congratulations!!
    Best of luck on your maintenance :)
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    Thanks @chinatowninchina for your advice! I appreciate your frankness and your encouragement!
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Some day I hope to be able to eat intuitively like you.

Let's be real, I'm not even kidding myself thinking I've got it figured out. I stop logging when I'm just sick of creating recipes and weighing every little thing but it doesn't mean I've sworn off logging or think I don't need it. Logging my food is THE tool that helped me the most. I treat my keto journey like many things in life and I experiment and try to see what works, but I know logging and the accountability of being social with other Keto-ers are my two best weapons against weight gain.

Something I've come to terms with recently is that I'm addicted to eating. Not just food, or carbs, but the actual act of eating. I feel, like any addiction, it's not something I'm just going to get over. So, I'm continuing knowing that I will always be a food addict, and that I will always have to work at staying healthy.

BTW, I haven't weighed myself in DAYS! I've been removing brush and logs and got bitten by something that cause some nasty swelling of my legs and lymph nodes. Pure misery, so I'm not going to torture myself with "scale lies". :D

• stormywxs288
    stormywxs288 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

NikkiJRM wrote: " I treat my keto journey like many things in life and I experiment and try to see what works, but I know logging and the accountability of being social with other Keto-ers are my two best weapons against weight gain.

Something I've come to terms with recently is that I'm addicted to eating."
    I concur! My weight management is a complex cocktail of things that keep food addiction from ruling my life. It seems when I take my eye off any one ingredient it affects my outcome. And of course, life always gets in the way. But like you, I lean on MFP tools like logging and this thread to right my course.
  • cbishop7777
    cbishop7777 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @NikkiJRM I totally agree the logging of food is key. When I slacked off on that a few years ago I started gaining again and got very discouraged so just gave up. But that was before I knew anything about keto. Now that I know what actually works for me with keto, it's still an important aspect to keep me on track. I may be able to get by without logging once I hit my goal and start maintaining, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I have to say what I'm a bit of OCD about the days I've logged in on MFP so I sometimes just put stuff down to keep it going! I neither weigh nor measure foods but by this stage I feel that I know what's what and my key to weight gain and going off the wagon is if I avoid my scales, that means I'm in denial and I'll be gaining weight. As long as I'm weighing myself every day even when I'm away and on holiday even if I'm gaining a bit I know if I'm still weighing myself I'm ok really because I'll go back to it when I get home. If I chuck the scales it means my mind has said WTH, I don't care and that way madness lies, for me anyhow! I think it comes down to knowing yourself and we're all different!! I really wish I was one of those people who gained 6 pounds in a couple of days and it came off again in a couple of days, me I gain 6 pounds in a couple of days and it takes a week of hard work to get back to where I was but at least I get back. How I gained was putting on 6pounds taking off three putting on 6 etc and then before you know it you are 50 pounds heavier!!
  • d_dc_lady
    d_dc_lady Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    May 1st: 159.6
    May 6th: 158.2 (-1.4)
    May 13th: 158.6 (+0.4)
    May 20th: 157.6 (-1.0)
    May 27th: -
    May 31th: 158.2 (+.6)

Doing a bit of the keto two-step or cha-cha, what is it that @River_Goddess calls it? I am struggling not to feel embarrassed or ashamed that the scale is up/down/not moving (same for measurements) and trying to remind myself that weight and weight loss are not reflective of my worth or an indicator of morality. It's simply a way to gauge one aspect of health and wellness.

When I reflect on the past two months I've been following Keto, while I've only lost about 8.5 lbs, I exercise much more, don't graze throughout the day, save money on not eating out, and enjoy the healthy meals I prepare. I'm heading into June with realistic expectations and a positive attitude.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    For me, having better hunger suppression with a keto/LCHF way of eating does not always transfer to not eating too many calories. :/

I still enter my intake on a food tracker be it MFP or another that I might be playing around with. I'm not as precise as I might have been during weight loss in 2013-2014 or during MTKD (2016) but generally speaking, I still track. Certainly I am mentally calculating even if I don't "put it on paper".

I will always need to be aware of my intake. In part, because I like variety, choose to eat a variety, live in a world full of food and eating cues and sometimes respond to those cues AND I think I just happen to like tracking.

Over the years I have read of various methods that, in the end, result long term calorie compliance. Some people limit food choices or delete food groups. Some people eat the same thing repeatedly. Some people do extended fasting when the body scale tends to move upward. Some people use meal timing (intermittent fasting).

If any of the 4 apply to me it would be eating the same things over and over. Unless I have dinner leftovers for breakfast or lunch, I have about 6 or 8 things (maybe more, haven't counted) I eat repeatedly for breakfast/lunch and vary my dinner...a lot.
  • shizzlebeef
    shizzlebeef Posts: 26 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    SW 256.5 1/06/2018

5/06/2018 216
    5/13/2018 210
    5/20/2018 211
    5/31/2018 212

My fat loss has seemed to slow down. I'm not gonna lie, I've consumed more alcohol this month (parties and stuff) compared to April. And I'm going to Japan in 2 weeks. I hope to hit 205 by then cause I know I'm gonna be having some carbs, however I plan to do IF and gym (Anytime Fitness ftw!) so maybe I can maintain my weight.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    good luck and enjoy Japan!
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    SW - 209.8 (SW for keto 206.8)

May 1 - 193
    May 6 - 196.4 (+3.4...thanks, vacation!)
    May 13 - 191.4 (-5)
    May 20 - 188.4 (-3)
    May 27 - 189.5 (+1.1)
    May 31 - 188.8

Just 4.2 down for the month, but considering the month included 4 days at Disney and several other days of eating whatever was convenient, I’m pretty happy!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,685 Member
    Options
    ovwv7qbcyc7v.jpg

Just joined and saw this. Wow! What an inspiration you are!!
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    March 20 (began keto)
    Starting weight: 221

May 1: 208.4
    Sunday 5/6: 206.0 (-2.4)
    Sunday 5/13: 205 6 (- .4)
    Sunday 5/20: 203.6 (-2.0)
    Sunday 5/27: 203.8 (+0.2)
    Thursday 5/31: 204.2 (+0.4)

Didnt make my personal goal (weight) by Jun 1: 199
  • stormywxs288
    stormywxs288 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @PaulaKro: Thanks for the kind words. Like you I’ve struggled with weight most of my adult life. Keto has been the first lifestyle change I’ve attempted that I’ve been able to sustain. It has only been 5 months for me for me, so I won’t call it a permanent change yet. However, I’m optimistic. Keto seems to be a good fit for me. I don’t feel deprived, I love eating fat and I feel better than I have in years.

Also, this group and real people like you have given me support, advice and encouragement I can’t find in other sources. I hope you join us in June.