• LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Stimpy56 wrote: »
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    Stimpy56 wrote: »
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    0esl3scr48jz.png

Are you responsible for preparing food for other people in your home? Do you hold the line that whatever the cook makes, the rest of the family eats, or do you find yourself making different meals for different people?

What tips or strategies do you have for dealing with different food wants and needs in the household?

My wife cooks mostly and we are both watching what we eat. I just make sure I portion out my meal, as portion control has always been my downfall. We make enough for dinner, so we can have some to take for lunch the next day. This helps us not to eat out as much. Sometimes we don't have enough left overs to take for lunch, so we try to keep a couple cans of soup to take for lunch.

@stimpy56 When you track your food, how specific are you able to get? Do you know all the ingredients and proportions when you're not the cook, or do you just approximate?

@LesIckaBod - It all depends on the meal my wife cooks. MFP has a great for database for general meals (ie Meatloaf, Spaghetti with meat Sauce, etc.) I just use a MFP database entry and adjust for the quantity (4oz, or 1 cup) that I consume. Sometime she follows a recipe that has the serving size and calories listed. Other time she tells me the main ingredients that she used and how mush she used.

In general, I try to get as close as possible with the MFP food database food items as I can and how much I consume. I do not have a scale and do not weight my food, as I feel it is too time consuming, But tha's me and what I do. I hope that answers your question.

@stimpy56 Thanks :) I was just curious what people do, especially when you don't know the specifics. I guess it's like eating at a restaurant, right?
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    12sarah2015 Pw 137. 3
    Cw 138
  • Stimpy56
    Stimpy56 Posts: 593 Member
    Options

@stimpy56 Thanks :) I was just curious what people do, especially when you don't know the specifics. I guess it's like eating at a restaurant, right? [/quote]

@LesIckaBod - Yes, To me it's like tracking a meal at a restaurant. I breakdown the individual meal components as best I can and match them to an item in the MFP food database. I try to keep things simple, b/c if it gets too complicated, I won't do it.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? yes, 20 minutes recumbent bike
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes, cannot log 104 calories that I had to search the database for, but will add them later when MFP is fixed, still under
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • Runnerjess119
    Runnerjess119 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

How do we respond to a specific person’s message? I wanted to reply to the person who was hungry with her calories at 1150? I think 1200 is supposed to be the lowest number of calories a woman should consume (but maybe this is outdated?) so I always try not to dip below that! Also, as far as staying full, I add fat to each meal (almond butter, avocado, or olive oil). I find starting each day with a smoothie of protein powder, almond milk, almond butter, and spinach has also totally changed how hungry I am during the day!

I’ve been really good with exercising each day, to the point where my body feels pretty consistently sore! I’m going to do some light yoga tonight.

Tomorrow is my trivia night, and I always order fries with ranch dressing, which I know kills my calories. I’m going to try not to do it...for this team! Haha. Do you guys have pointers for not eating when out with friends?
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @Runnerjess119, to pull attention, put the person's user name with @ in front of it.

To quote someone's text, go to the paragraph symbol in the bar above your new message. Click on "quote" and then copy the person's text that you are responding to and put it in the middle of quote brackets.
    How do we respond to a specific person’s message? I wanted to reply to the person who was hungry with her calories at 1150?

You can preview your response and make any edits before hitting post. Hope this helps!
  • beachb2027
    beachb2027 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Username: beachb2027
    Week: January Week 2
    PW: 328.0 lbs
    CW: 328.0 lbs
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Username: craigo3154
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: (63.1kg) 139.1
    Todays Weight: (62.6kg) 138.0

Weigh in on correct day this week. Still hovering round the same weight, which is good for maintenance.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    January 8
    Exercised?: Yes. (3km in 24 mins - hills)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Work at client site today. Early walk before heading out the door. Glad I did as I had evening meeting before dinner and then would have run out of daylight.

Work from home tomorrow.
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Responding to a few of today's threads:

1) Tips for ?not eating" when out with friend: Eat :-) Seriously, I would always eat if out. But, I'd look for options like a salad with steak, chicken or shrimp. Or maybe a meat with a healthy side.

2) Who cooks? I don't usually eat early. Start day with a snack -- either fruit or dry Cheerios which are now my go-to after a morning workout. I make my lunches since I eat at work. Usually a salad with a protein. My husband usually cooks dinner. He's been better about trying to pick healthier meals. I take his most common recipes and put them into the recipe feature in my food diary so this way I know I'm getting an accurate count (or at least as close to possible). I am the weekend breakfast cook, so since I've been back counting calories pancakes, waffles and the like are getting skipped.

3) My daily check-in for January 8th:
    Exercise-Yes—treadmill 30 min.
    Track food-Yes
    Stay in calorie limit- Yes
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

How do we respond to a specific person’s message? I wanted to reply to the person who was hungry with her calories at 1150? I think 1200 is supposed to be the lowest number of calories a woman should consume (but maybe this is outdated?) so I always try not to dip below that! Also, as far as staying full, I add fat to each meal (almond butter, avocado, or olive oil). I find starting each day with a smoothie of protein powder, almond milk, almond butter, and spinach has also totally changed how hungry I am during the day!

I’ve been really good with exercising each day, to the point where my body feels pretty consistently sore! I’m going to do some light yoga tonight.

Tomorrow is my trivia night, and I always order fries with ranch dressing, which I know kills my calories. I’m going to try not to do it...for this team! Haha. Do you guys have pointers for not eating when out with friends?

Yes you can do it-no fries and no dressing!
  • amynew4u
    amynew4u Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Username: amynew4u
    Week: January Week 2
    PW: 276.0 lbs
    CW: 276.0 lbs

I’m ok with this considering how ill I’ve been - still not fully recovered! I’m headed to Puerto Rico tomorrow to see HAMILTON with Lin-Manuel Miranda! Lots of walking, hiking and outdoor adventures planned. Signs of new lifestyle already ...
  • Stimpy56
    Stimpy56 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    January 8
    Exercise - yes (35 Elliptical and 25 Treadmill)
    Tracked - yes
    Within calories - yes
  • jaweeston
    jaweeston Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Amynew4u.... have a great time, glad your feeling better

January8
    Track-yes
    Calories-no (went over by 56)
    Exercise- yes
  • zimborunner
    zimborunner Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    January 8
    Exercise:- yes. 30 mins max trainer, 15 kettlebell
    Calories:- Yes. A little over basic, but well within if I add exercise
    Track:- yes
  • zimborunner
    zimborunner Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    @dommylifts I’ve always thought bare minimum was 1200 cals. Depending on height, age etc. Do you know your workout calories (Fitbit? ). Try adding say 1/3 of your workout cals and see what happens. You shouldn’t always be fatigued, try making a good homemade protein shake after workout to kick start your day?

@Runnerjess119 Before going out try eating an apple or carrots, something to fill you a little. I always read the menu online first and know what I’m going to order. And order first, so you can’t change your mind.😂

QOTW. I cook everything... my husband has mastered perfectly soft boiled eggs on Sundays ...and that’s his legacy it seems😊 what I cook is what we eat, if you don’t like it, you go without. My sons (when home) will sometimes sort themselves out if DH and I are eating say curry. I went to boarding school at 5 YO, so learned fast that you ate what was on the table and ate it all. It has taken me a long time not to feel guilty leaving food on the plate😏
  • Robandy12345
    Robandy12345 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Exercise yes, volleyball 12000 steps
    Document cal yes
    Under calories
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    Hi All!

@runnerjess119 There's been a lot of good suggestions here about what to do when eating out. If I am going to a friend's house/ potluck, I try to eat beforehand and just drink flavored seltzer water. If you're able to walk around and mingle with other people, it's easier to stay away from the food.

Eating out is trickier, because you're basically at the restaurant for the purpose of food (and yes, trivia, but still the establishment is designed for eating). I'd suggest pre-tracking your usual meal at the restaurant, and then work with the remaining calories you have left for the day to ensure that you get high protein, good quality food for the rest of your meals.

And also remember: your body is looking at a calorie deficit over time longer than 24 hours. If you go over your calories one day, make your deficit a little bigger for the next few days until you catch up. No biggie, right?

• LesIckaBod
    Options
    Happy Wednesday, Gutbusters! Today I'm looking for weights from:

@12sarah2015 - Gotcha already
    @caitlynns727
    @inshapeCK
    @kkmark
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    QOTW: I came from a family where you ate what was prepared too, but my husband didn't. Sometimes he orders food if the prepared meal is not to his taste, and we differ on how foods should be cooked (I'm ok with roast chicken, he prefers everything grilled - I don't really use the grill, but I do most of the cooking). It's a struggle. :/
This discussion has been closed.