TEAM: Gutbusters (January)

Options

Replies

• LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    grebber1 wrote: »
    I'm out this month. Be back in Feb.

Sad to see you go, @grebber1 I hope everything is ok!
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    @BonnieHosk85 I sent you a PM a couple days ago - did you get it? I'm not very good about noticing that I have messages myself, so I figured I'd double-check
  • amynew4u
    amynew4u Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    @LesIckaBod - double ear/sinus infection and bronchitis- hope you are better off than me! I clearly waited too long for meds! Rest and fluids will make calorie control manageable. Inside, stretching and strength work for a few days ...
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm also out this month I'm sorry. I will definetely be back in February and more dedicated. I'm just not focused. My son, his wife and baby have been sick with the flu in their European holiday. Was hard for them getting medical help in the country they were in. I've been stressed out worrying about them. Thankfully they are all good now. I'm also having other issues at this time. I'm just not confident that I can be motivated this month. Please keep me in from February onwards. I will be good then.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    January 2
    Exercised?: Yes. (2km in 50 mins - Very hilly - at wife's pace)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Wife and I walked around Cape Schank lighthouse. Plan was to do the 5km walk to Bushrangers Bay, but that will be another time.

Dinner with my parents.

January 3
    Exercised?: Yes. (8.5km in 64 mins - mostly flat)

Wife too sore from walking the hills at Cape Schank lighthouse the day before, so I took an evening walk around Rye/Blairgowrie.

Dinner out at a hamburger place that can do gourmet hamburgers with no bun. Really good gourmet hamburgers. Glad I had don the walking.

January 4
    Exercised?: Yes. (3km in 24 mins - hills)

Checked out from resort and headed home early. Hot day (42C - 108F), so wanted to get home and unpacked early before the worst of the heat.

Walked after cool change came through (at 5:30pm).

Lots of packing and unpacking. Glad to be home.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    amynew4u wrote: »
    @craigs3154
    I’m curious what your vast research says re: exercise whilst sick? Specifically related to chest congestion/bronchitis oriented illness. Thx!

@amynew4u. Thank you for asking.

#1. If you are ill, rest and recover. Stressing the system (especially the respiratory system) during chest congestion/bronchitis oriented illness is a VERY BAD idea.

#2. You can still continue to lose weight when ill by eating a calorie deficit even with NO EXERCISE OR ACTIVITY. Just make sure to get plenty of water and plenty of vitamins and mineras to assist the immune system fight illness.

#3. Once recovered sufficiently than moderate activity does not leave you coughing or out of breath, then resume exercises (slowly at first, then slowly build up intensity and duration).

Let me stress this. YOU DO NOT NEED TO EXERCISE TO LOSE WEIGHT.

Generally you burn MANY more calories per day just running the brain and keeping warm than exercise use in exercise. Eg. 8.5km walk (no running at all) in 64 mins used an estimated 650 calories - my daily calories used (if I do NOTHING, but lie in bed all day) is 1850 calories (almost 3 times the hours walk).

The most of us just need water and vitamins and minerals. We already have an adequate reserve of essential fats and proteins. We already have an adequate reserve of calories, either in the glycogen stores (liver) or in the fat reserves. Until you are your ideal weight (usually in the health BMI range - round 22-23), there is no NEED eat a calorie surplus even when ill. Also no need to push activity. Wait till the respiratory system is working well enough to cope first.
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    @LesIckaBod - double ear/sinus infection and bronchitis- hope you are better off than me! I clearly waited too long for meds! Rest and fluids will make calorie control manageable. Inside, stretching and strength work for a few days ...

@amynew4u - yikes! I've still got the cough. Sounds like you've got a good plan to see yourself back to health!
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    Colleen790 wrote: »
    I'm also out this month I'm sorry. I will definetely be back in February and more dedicated. I'm just not focused. My son, his wife and baby have been sick with the flu in their European holiday. Was hard for them getting medical help in the country they were in. I've been stressed out worrying about them. Thankfully they are all good now. I'm also having other issues at this time. I'm just not confident that I can be motivated this month. Please keep me in from February onwards. I will be good then.

@colleen790 Sending good thoughts to you and your family! Good luck and be well, see you in February!
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    Hi all!
    January week 1
    PW: 153
    CW: 151
    (I think I did this format right?)

Ps super excited to see a weight loss this week! I’ve got to say this is already hugely motivational. I went to the gym last night because I “didn’t want to let my team down”! Glad we are in this together. 💪🏼

@Runnerjess119 You did it perfectly - thank you, and good work on your Week 1 loss! Way to start the month off right!
  • LesIckaBod
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    @craigs3154
    I’m curious what your vast research says re: exercise whilst sick? Specifically related to chest congestion/bronchitis oriented illness. Thx!

@amynew4u. Thank you for asking.

#1. If you are ill, rest and recover. Stressing the system (especially the respiratory system) during chest congestion/bronchitis oriented illness is a VERY BAD idea.

#2. You can still continue to lose weight when ill by eating a calorie deficit even with NO EXERCISE OR ACTIVITY. Just make sure to get plenty of water and plenty of vitamins and mineras to assist the immune system fight illness.

#3. Once recovered sufficiently than moderate activity does not leave you coughing or out of breath, then resume exercises (slowly at first, then slowly build up intensity and duration).

Let me stress this. YOU DO NOT NEED TO EXERCISE TO LOSE WEIGHT.

Generally you burn MANY more calories per day just running the brain and keeping warm than exercise use in exercise. Eg. 8.5km walk (no running at all) in 64 mins used an estimated 650 calories - my daily calories used (if I do NOTHING, but lie in bed all day) is 1850 calories (almost 3 times the hours walk).

The most of us just need water and vitamins and minerals. We already have an adequate reserve of essential fats and proteins. We already have an adequate reserve of calories, either in the glycogen stores (liver) or in the fat reserves. Until you are your ideal weight (usually in the health BMI range - round 22-23), there is no NEED eat a calorie surplus even when ill. Also no need to push activity. Wait till the respiratory system is working well enough to cope first.

@craigo3154 Thanks for sharing this advice with @amynew4u and the rest of us! I've been off exercise since I got sick, and I've continued to lose. With low appetite, I've had to push myself to eat some more calorie dense items at some meals.

I have to admit, I worry a bit about what kind of weight I'm losing right now -- fat is good loss, muscle is not -- but I'm focused on getting healthy.
  • cjscoey
    cjscoey Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    cjscoey
    Jan week 1
    pw 173
    cw 175.2

I'm back and going in the wrong direction, hopefully better road ahead next week!
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @BonnieHosk85 I sent you a PM a couple days ago - did you get it? I'm not very good about noticing that I have messages myself, so I figured I'd double-check

@LesIckaBod, I didn't get your pm but pm'd you earlier. Thanks, Bonnie
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    January 4
    Exercise - yes (30 minutes treadmill)
    Tracked - yes
    Within calories - yes
  • tnknoxt
    tnknoxt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Tracked food
    Exercised
    Staying on track!!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Exercised-zumba, tracked-yes, calories-yes
  • zimborunner
    zimborunner Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    January 4
    Exercised:- Yes, 90+ trails again. Working on getting the treadmill fixed. I'm back at work on Tuesday, so won't be able to use trails until the weekend.
    Calories:- Yes
    Tracked:- Yes
This discussion has been closed.