My Starting Weight:
    275.5 lbs (01/11/2019)
    My goal:
    160-170 lbs
    Current Weight:
    190.4 lbs
    Total Loss:
    85.1 lbs

I've ended my deficit break this week - and think that it did do me a world of good. Though I only stayed there for just over 2 weeks I learned a lot:

1 - that my low energy levels were a direct result of deficit eating. Two weeks of eating at maintenance had my energy levels through the roof :-) my grandson pulled his Lego bin out from under the couch and called out "You vacuumed, Nan!" lol. He is only 4.

2 - it is terrifying to try to find "maintenance," harder to stick to 1800 calories than 1300!!!! and really hard to eat just a little of the addictive, calorie-dense foods that I have been mostly avoiding. It was a relief to get back to deficit eating on Tuesday.

Now that I have hit my first goal of 190 (what I weighed when I quit smoking just over 4 years ago), I'm trying to work out a new plan to slowly lose the last 20-30 pounds and transition into a rest-of-my-life way of eating and moving. I'm having a really hard time setting a calorie goal because it seems that I run considerably under the MFP suggested amounts. I bought a kitchen scale and a Fitbit to make sure I was accurate with my measurements and activity...and I was. Big relief!!! Most days since April I've been eating in the 1100-1300 range, but that had to end. It is so nice to add some extra food. In the past few weeks I've discovered that around 1900-2100 calories a day felt good and seemed to keep my weight pretty stable. I ended my no deficit period 5 pounds heavier than I started, but that was mostly water weight from a couple of high carb days and a celebratory "last night of no deficit" pizza / apple pie party with my kids. It has almost all fallen off in 3 days.

But I swear at this point in my weight loss journey all the numbers - calories / steps / heart rate / pounds - they all tend to feel like a game because they sometimes make no sense at all!

So I'm treating my new approach as a game too. I'll try different things until I find one that works. And I'll try not to worry too much about whether my approach is logical or not based on the past months.

From now to maybe a week before Christmas (when I plan another deficit break) I'm setting my MFP calorie goal to 1000. I know 1000 sounds extreme - but I'm going to start eating back my average daily +800 exercise calories for the first time. That adds up to much more than I've been eating for the past six months. And it feels more fair!

I'm not sure if I will lose at this level. Maybe not. I hope so. I'm going to find out.

The best part about this new plan - and the fancypants new Fitbit -is that they are encouraging me to do a bit more exercise. There are many things I held off trying until I was lighter - so that I didn't injure my iffy ligaments/tendons (had lots of those problems in the past bunch of years). I think it is time to introduce something other than brisk walking to my daily activities and tonight I actually wanted to. Energy from all the extra calories? or maybe just so I can play the "look - I ate under my allotted calories" game? Either way, I win.

Wish me luck in my new numbers game.

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,611 Member
    #bmeadows380
    reading your last few posts sounded so much like how I had/have been feeling. #NovusDies game guided me to a deficit break - which has brought me so much energy and peace of mind.

I was simply done. And the scale stopped making sense.

I'm not sure if I will find my weightloss groove again - but my life has certainly improved dramatically after giving myself a few weeks off - and the weightloss groove had hit the point where it felt like there was nothing to lose.

I hope you find your way to a good space soon. You spread so much good energy and support!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited November 2020
    Good progress this week, I think though that part of it was from coming from the week before.

SW: 177.8 kg - 392 lb (May 2020)
    GW: 69 kg - 153 lb

LW: 135.7 kg - 299.2 lb
    CW: 133.7 kg - 294.8 lb
    Variance: -1.6 kg / -3.5 lb / -1.18% TBW

OL: 41.1 kg - 97.2 lb

Weight remaining for:
    Obese class II: 24.0 kg - 53.0 lb
    Obese class I: 38.0 kg - 83.7 lb
    Overweight: 51.9 kg - 114.4 lb
    Normal: 65.9 kg - 145.2 lb

But I swear at this point in my weight loss journey all the numbers - calories / steps / heart rate / pounds - they all tend to feel like a game because they sometimes make no sense at all!

So I'm treating my new approach as a game too. I'll try different things until I find one that works. And I'll try not to worry too much about whether my approach is logical or not based on the past months.

That is a very good idea! I have found about myself that by monitoring my eating and exercise experiments I can understand what the effect of my actions is on my body. So, I can experiment freely, knowing that even a failure to produce results via a certain method is not discouraging but...part of the game.

And the game is to have as much fun along the way as possible!
  • lauriekallis
    Dante_80 wrote: »

That is a very good idea! I have found about myself that by monitoring my eating and exercise experiments I can understand what the effect of my actions is on my body. So, I can experiment freely, knowing that even a failure to produce results via a certain method is not discouraging but...part of the game.

And the game is to have as much fun along the way as possible!

YES!

And, WOW, congratulations, you are almost at the 100lbs lost mark. That will be a lot of extra fun.

• lauriekallis
    Finally!.......you should have seen me doing cartwheels around our yard naked lol

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

• lauriekallis
    emmyjaykay wrote: »
    I was surprised with hitting that 70lb loss! This feels totally bonkers. Bodies are pretty cool!

Congratuations!!!!!! to you also.

This is a very positive space to visit today.

• _inHisGrace
    _inHisGrace Posts: 183 Member
    Age 69
    Height 5’9” ( but I am shrinking I think )
    S.W......350.0
    C.W......250.0

Finally!.......you should have seen me doing cartwheels around our yard naked lol

Whoooohoooo
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    @conniewilkins56 Congratulations!!! That's a great milestone!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited November 2020
    Didn't manage to get much/any exercise this week due to the quarantine here in Greece, but some progress nonetheless. I'll take it!

LW: 133.7 kg - 294.8 lb
    CW: 132.8 kg - 292.8 lb
    Variance: -0.9 kg / -2.0 lb / -0.67% TBW

OL: 45.0 kg - 99.2 lb

Weight remaining for:
    Obese class II: 21.5 kg - 47.4 lb
    Obese class I: 35.5 kg - 78.2 lb
    Overweight: 49.4 kg - 108.9 lb
    Normal: 63.4 kg - 139.7 lb
  • _inHisGrace
    Height: 5’1
    SW: 307.8 lbs
    CW: 281.2 lbs
    GW: 125

• cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Congratulations Dante_80! That is amazing progress. We use kg here in Spain too, it's always interesting to be switching back and forth between the two. The nice thing is that ONEderland corresponds approximately to being at 90 kg, which is kind of a nice, round figure. I like that you post the "weight remaining for:..." part, I'll steal that and add it to my Excel!
  • _inHisGrace
    Dante_80 wrote: »
    Passed the 100lb OL milestone, although I can't view it as such really (since we don't use pounds here). Good progress this week too though, so I'll take it!!

LW: 132.8 kg - 292.8 lb
    CW: 131.1 kg - 290.8 lb
    Variance: -0.9 kg / -2.0 lb / -0.68% TBW

OL: 45.9 kg - 101.2 lb

Weight remaining for:
    Obese class II: 20.6 kg - 45.4 lb
    Obese class I: 34.6 kg - 76.2 lb
    Overweight: 48.5 kg - 106.9 lb
    Normal: 62.5 kg - 137.7 lb

Way to go! I’m proud of you!!
  • _inHisGrace
    CW: 276.6lbs
    GW: 105

Changed my goal weight to be in line with the guideline for my height.

I was so happy to see I’ve lost 31 lbs since August 24 but now my calorie allotment is 1290 per day.

I’ve been eating at about 1200 per day for the past few weeks anyway but now that it is written there on MFP I feel something rebellious and childish bubbling to the surface and I’m resenting that low of daily cals. I’m going to have to work through my emotions on this.

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    CW: 276.6lbs
    GW: 105

Changed my goal weight to be in line with the guideline for my height.

I was so happy to see I’ve lost 31 lbs since August 24 but now my calorie allotment is 1290 per day.

I’ve been eating at about 1200 per day for the past few weeks anyway but now that it is written there on MFP I feel something rebellious and childish bubbling to the surface and I’m resenting that low of daily cals. I’m going to have to work through my emotions on this.

Are you at 1.5 a week loss or 2 lbs?....I change mine back and forth...you could eat back some exercise calories, too....I eat about 25% of my exercise calories back...I tried not eating any of the extra ones but I was getting hungry and not feeling satisfied....if I burn 400 calories according to MFP I eat back at least 100 calories...I will have an apple or string cheese or an extra ounce of meat...so if your calories for the day are 1290, an extra 100 calories earned from exercise would help you out!
  • _inHisGrace
    I’m s