Options

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,819 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Official weigh day: Saturday

Height: 5'1" / Age: 56

Start Weight (17th March 2021): 211.2 lbs - BMI 40.0 (obese cat 3)
    Last week: 171.6 - BMI 32.5 (obese cat 1)
    This week: 170.7 - BMI 32.3 (obese cat 1)

40.5 lbs lost, 46.2 lbs to go (46.7% towards goal)

I didn't expect a loss this week, after 3 meals out, so that was pleasing!

This week I've raised my calorie budget by 20% on the days where I cycle +20kms - which is essentially 5/7 days. So two days a week I'll be trying to stick around 1,500 calories and the other 5 days I'll try to stick around 1,800. I'll monitor how I feel for a couple of weeks, and how it impacts my weight loss, and then decide if further tweaking is required. As a person who's become obsessive during previous weight loss episodes, and constantly nibbled away at my calorie budget to restrict myself to fewer and fewer calories while at the same time doing more and more exercise, this is unknown territory! I'm interested (if a tad apprehensive) to see what happens when I do the opposite...

5drb2rk75vvg.png
  • Bella_Figura
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @Dante_80, I LOVE your spreadsheet! Makes my own look dull and uninspired!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    Bella, the smaller deficits will hopefully allow your brain hamsters a better outcome which will allow you to keep going till you get to where you want to stay :wink:

Dante how are you managing to snag such a good quantity of Omega 3's?
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Dante how are you managing to snag such a good quantity of Omega 3's?

4 things.

1. Moller's Cod Liver Oil /10mg every day (when waking up).
    2. Chia Seeds /7gr every day (with my breakfast).
    3. Walnuts /7gr every day (with my breakfast).
    4. In the Med diet here, we tend to eat fish 2-3 times each week. Sardines, Sea Bream and Anchovies are real close to my heart, pretty inexpensive, and yummy to boot! They are also pretty rich in Omega 3's, which doesn't really hurt either!

Believe it or not, it's Omega 6's that are giving me trouble, since I only tend to get them in quantity from walnuts and olive oil (not very rich sources).
    @Dante_80, I LOVE your spreadsheet! Makes my own look dull and uninspired!

Thanks for the kind words. That page was a printout from Cron-O-meter, a program like MFP that I use. It has a smaller database with far less recipes, but it pretty useful when you want to track specific micronutrients in your nutrition.

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I think I want to maybe try a sardine….how do you eat it?…I will pass on the other foods….I do like fish but the fish are the less good fat ones….I like haddock, grouper and cod….oh and flounder….
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I think I want to maybe try a sardine….how do you eat it?…I will pass on the other foods….I do like fish but the fish are the less good fat ones….I like haddock, grouper and cod….oh and flounder….

Canned Connie, canned because otherwise the sardine would be too much trouble :smile: Especially the larger ones we tend to get. Sea Bream would be interesting. I can't say I've seen it often at the store.... just a couple of times maybe? But at least you would be getting some meat...

Now really small sized sardines or anchovies or smelts or similar would be a different ball game. Though with frying out of the loop it would be interesting how they would be prepared.

@Dante_80 I haven't really looked at it much but I always "thought" that we get more than enough Omega 6 and it is the Omega 3's that are the perennial problem. i.e. aiming for a 4:1 ratio or lower vs a "western diet" at >15:1

You're doing better than a 3:1 which is actually fantastic; but you're also at sub 60g total fats, which relatively speaking is quite low and is, perhaps, reflective of your total amount of calories eaten.

When you get to maintenance there is a high likelihood that you will be eating closer to 80-100g of fats a day and an increase in omega 3's would be difficult--are you going to increase the frequency of your fish eating? So your ratio is likely to deteriorate with the natural addition of more Omega 6's as you consume foods that may not be fully prepared to your specifications :wink:

I only have access to 7 days because I am not on Cronometer Gold... but my setup is showing pathetic results (and of course explains my weight trajectory this past week :blush: )

So on a 7 day average intake of just over 3k a day (about 150 Cal above maintenance), 107.5g was fats. And in spite of this relatively generous intake of lipids, my sad omega 6: omega 3 ratio is right in line with the western diet's 15:1 range, coming in at 13.3:1 (0.7g omega 3 vs 9.3g omega 6). And terrible compared to your beautiful 2ish to 1!

Mind you, the likelihood that I am just plain missing information about the exact lipid composition is extremely high as only 63% of my total fat intake is even classified in the much broader saturated/mono and poly-unsaturated categories... which leaves almost 40g of lipids a day unclassified as to what they were. Are the chances high they would be 40g of Omega 3? I would think that such a miracle would have been advertised... so my ratio is... terrible!

Time to go hunt for some fishies!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Ok canned but HOW do you eat them?…on a cracker maybe?….do they smell?…are there bones in them?…I am NOT crunching bones in my teeth!….
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Ok canned but HOW do you eat them?…on a cracker maybe?….do they smell?…are there bones in them?…I am NOT crunching bones in my teeth!….

i dont think they have bones or they are so small you dont notice them. i dont know. i dont eat them. i think most people eat them on crackers?
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I will let Dante help you on how to eat the truly small (I believe here they're called Portuguese) sardines which are in fact eaten whole and there's no crunching due today the canning process

But they're definitely not a Connie thing.

Connie your best bet would be to buy herring fillets. They are meat only and you could maybe start with the kippered/smoked version. Brunswick brand. Not quite sardines but same ecosystem and tasty. you can even serve them warm or with cheese or on a salad
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I will let Dante help you on how to eat the truly small (I believe here they're called Portuguese) sardines which are in fact eaten whole and there's no crunching!

But they're definitely not a Connie thing.

Connie your best bet would be to buy herring fillets. They are meat only and you could maybe start with the kippered/smoked version. Brunswick brand. Not quite sardines but same ecosystem and tasty. you can even serve them warm or with cheese or on a salad

I have seen pickled herring and I KNOW I won’t eat that….it looks like garbage!….do sardines taste like canned salmon?….I like that once every ten years lol….
  • Bella_Figura
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Fried herring are a local delicacy in my neck of the woods - fried over oak chips - the taste is out of this world! Served in a soft white roll with crispy romaine lettuce and a squeeze of lemon. Lovely!

I like sardines too - especially the kind canned in good quality olive oil. Delicious added to pasta with garlicky oil, lemon zest and capers; lovely lightly grilled on toast; or coat with a tempura batter and fry lightly.

As for anchovies - I add them to dozens of savoury dishes to add some umami...plus they’re delicious stirred into pasta or added to pizza. Or try stuffing courgette blossoms with anchovies and mozzarella then dipping in a tempura batter and deep frying. Not exactly low calorie, but divine!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I have seen pickled herring and I KNOW I won’t eat that….it looks like garbage!….do sardines taste like canned salmon?….I like that once every ten years lol….

NO NO NO!!!!! I would NEVER suggest pickled herrings to you Connie. They're GROSS even to me :wink:

CANNED SMOKED herrings are a totally different beast and you're talking a whole boneless fillet. Beautiful and delicate to eat with just a bit of lemon. The mustard sauce version buries the fact it is a fish if you want to minimize the fish taste. Taking the kippered version and putting a tiny amount of old cheddar and pushing through a toaster oven is surprising... but I digress and I believe I should go buy some soon!!! :smiley:
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2021
    Options
    See what you guys made me do!?!?!

I didn't have any herrings around and didn't want to take the "hit" of a full can of sockey, so... lunch:
    0k1j1ievaa2z.png

Would have been smarter with some lemon instead, or just some yellow mustard (use the USDA entry, not the zero cal french's entries). But I sort of scooped the first 27g of the dijon in the bowl and was too lazy to adjust!!!

Bella, I might have to visit your parts of England?!?!?!
  • Bella_Figura
    edited August 2021
    Options

Bella, I might have to visit your parts of England?!?!?!

You’d better hop a plane quickly then - the annual herring festival is tomorrow!

https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/traditional-food-yarmouth-herring-hemsby-lifeboat-service-8239694

What an exciting place I live 🤣
  • PAV8888
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Looks quite nice? I hear you have nice beaches? I would like to visit, though I fear the water may be a bit on the colder side for me! And the dudes look like they would know how to cook a herring!!!
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Parts of the Norfolk coastline are designated areas of outstanding natural beauty, so mustn't complain. There are many worse places to live. ALthough I'm not on the coast any more - I moved 30 miles inland a year ago this week. Still miss the sights and sounds of the sea...
  • Dante_80
    edited August 2021
    Options
    1. So...sea bream (τσιπούρα) is pretty easy to find here. It is also pretty cheap (5-6€ per kg for whole, cleaned fish). You simply cook it on the grill with a little salt and lemon (it doesn't even need any oil). Needs less than 20 minutes. And sweet potato chips go pretty well with it too.

S1dpUgsl.jpg

2. Sardine, mackerel or anchovy (fillets or whole) canned in olive oil or tomato sauce is very nutritious. And gives you a quick fix if you don't have the time to cook. Here in Greece we have a couple of local brands specializing in this, like FLOKOS and TRATA.

jKpg2gVm.jpg

M7KsddXm.png

zEDuYsdm.jpg

YcKNQLSm.jpg

3. Having said that, getting the fish themselves from the market and cooking them is vastly superior (and not much more expensive). They are extremely easy to deal too. My favorite (and a dish that is easy even for me to make) is "anchovy plaki". Here is the recipe I've been following for a while now (it's in Greek though, so use google translate!).

Baked-anchovies-image-720x540.jpg

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.kopiaste.info/2012/02/filetarismenos-gavros-plaki-sto-fourno/

(If you don't want to fillet the fish yourself, you can ask the seller at the fish market to to it for you..it is really trivial tho)

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    What a great post @Dante_80. I don't eat fish - but I've learned about eating them now (more than I'd probably pick up in the rest of my veggie eating life!). That last dish is just crazy looking...lol...I imagine it is delicious.

• Dante_80
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Congrats, you ABSOLUTE legend! Those hamsters really had no chance, none I tell you! >:)