2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    Me at the cardiologist last week:

ubi5y665s3x1.png
    TV news has been reporting on the critical need for blood donations. With companies closing, blood drives have been canceled. Elective surgeries are being postponed but they need an adequate blood supply for emergencies. The hospital system has donation centers and the staff being interviewed commented on how few people were walking in. We had to go to town for errands so I looked up the address and went in. I give blood a couple of times a year a blood drives. Other than the two techs, I was the only one there. I did the intake forms, she checked my temperature, BP and hemoglobin rate and I was all set to donate. I took the first recliner and started my donation. A man came in to donate and they left an empty recliner between us. He finished first and a woman arrived to donate. They finished with me before they started processing me. I hope the local news keeps mentioning the shortage so other healthy people will come in to donate.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Pam--If your friends are having difficulies getting their prescriptions filled, is it because they are trying to get a supply earlier than normal? I had to call Humana, tell them what I wanted refilled early so they could issue an override to permit the prescriptions to be filled.

Maryanne--Most of my human contact was with the people and students at work. No one in my family lives close and people don't visit much here. Telephone conversations are usually business as people like texting.

I went to town to deposit my work check in the bank and get some cash back. I noticed they were wearing gloves at the drive thru.
  • Helene610
    I had a slight tickle in my throat during the donation from drinking water. Probably went down the wrong way. I told the tech that I feel guilty if I’m out in public and I have a stray cough or sneeze. I can imagine people giving me the look like what is that sick person doing out in public. She knew I was healthy and it was just that single cough.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    edited March 2020
    That graphic I was trying to copy didn't copy! Nothing to see here....
  • mdubbs1
    I ate two cough drops at the cardiologist trying to make sure I don't cough.

DH (who ran a hospital lab for decades) tells me that they have to keep you awake to donate blood. I assume he knows what he's talking about and since there's no way they could keep me conscious I've never tried. When I have blood drawn for labwork they have to have somewhere I can lie down.

Yes, I'm a wuss!
  • mdubbs1
    People don't understand the proper use of rubber gloves. I keep hearing people say things like "I keep a (one) pair in the car to use at the store and gas pump and ...". That's totally worthless unless you disinfect them after each use (which I don't think is what they're saying).

• mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I had a slight tickle in my throat during the donation from drinking water. Probably went down the wrong way. I told the tech that I feel guilty if I’m out in public and I have a stray cough or sneeze. I can imagine people giving me the look like what is that sick person doing out in public. She knew I was healthy and it was just that single cough.

Yeah, it's a terrible time in history to have a chronic cough.
  • Helene610
    Did you see the article about the guy who bought up 17,000 bottles of hand sanitizers? He was reselling on Amazon for huge markups. Someone turned him in for price gouging and Amazon and EBay have banned him as a seller.the state of Tennessee is looking into charging him with price gouging. He ended up donating most of it to Tennessee organizations and a smaller amount in KY since he’d bought hand sanitizers in both place. He won’t profit from his selfishness but he still may be prosecuted. And he’s lost his livelihood since he’s banned from Amazon, etc.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Did you see the article about the guy who bought up 17,000 bottles of hand sanitizers? He was reselling on Amazon for huge markups. Someone turned him in for price gouging and Amazon and EBay have banned him as a seller.the state of Tennessee is looking into charging him with price gouging. He ended up donating most of it to Tennessee organizations and a smaller amount in KY since he’d bought hand sanitizers in both place. He won’t profit from his selfishness but he still may be prosecuted. And he’s lost his livelihood since he’s banned from Amazon, etc.

I saw that!

I also saw an article about distilleries that are making hand sanitizers and most giving it away.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/distilleries-using-high-proof-alcohol-make-hand-sanitizer-n1161371
  • mdubbs1
    I emailed my sister and best friend the codes to our outside key lockboxes. Neither is close enough to really care for the cats but both have the means to hire a pet sitter if all else fails (to be reimbursed by us or our estates). I'll make sure our neighbors and a couple other friends have their email addresses.

I need to think about who all needs to know what else!

I'm finding it hard (very hard) to concentrate on work.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Jean, my friends who are having issues getting meds refilled are having issues because the drugs aren’t available. In one case, the patient has several serious health conditions, including heart failure, failing kidneys requiring dialysis, and severe diabetes. There are others, but those three are the most serious. His meds literally keep him alive.
  • KonaKat
    Pam--That is an issue I didn't want to deal with and heard it was a possibility. Since I have had times, a couple of meds could not be completely filled with only a partial refill until the meds arrived, I decided to act and get them before refill time just in case.

The local paper said that the high school and middle school gyms might be considered as places to put cots and diagnosed people if this gets out of hand locally. The local medical center is a small bed facility with the closest hospital being over 50 miles away.
  • mdubbs1
    This is going to sound really weird but I almost wish I'd just get it and get it over with. I'd either die or recover. And certainly the early cases are getting better care than anyone's going to get later on.

• mdubbs1
    Cat Constantly Breaks Into Dentist Office, Becomes A Hit
    Dentist Cat is watching you. Judging you. Demanding pets and treats.

And if you don't offer those pets and treats... Well, let's just say we're glad you're not you.

Going to the dentist is no fun, unless you're into that sort of thing. Having a cat that's constantly trying to break in makes it more bearable.

tz4159l1kc66.png

• mdubbs1
    h0l4pp4vdc5r.png
  • KonaKat
    rn9ydn64bgkw.png
  • KonaKat
    nxak6naalfom.png
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    KonaKat wrote: »
    rn9ydn64bgkw.png

Love this one!
  • Helene610
    Ft Myers Beach and Naples are closing the beaches tomorrow. Huge numbers of people were sitting on the beach. Forget social distancing. Once the beaches are closed, people can walk on the beach but will not be allowed to stop or sit down. The news also said a patient with symptoms showed up at the Naples Hospital ER. He or she came into the waiting area and exposed 34 staff members. They are now in isolation. Some of the hospitals have set up isolation tents outside the ERs and that’s where people supposed to go for screening. I don’t know if Sanibel will close the beaches. We have miles of beaches so people can spread out. We stopped briefly and it looked like people were spacing themselves out.
  • KonaKat
    Just another day of this new world. Why I get up early before 6am is beyond me. It makes for a very long day when there is nothing to do. I'm actually considering making a 100 mile round trip just to load up on two days of meals from Wendy. Their apple pecan salads last two days.