2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Just another day of this new world. Why I get up early before 6am is beyond me. It makes for a very long day when there is nothing to do. I'm actually considering making a 100 mile round trip just to load up on two days of meals from Wendy. Their apple pecan salads last two days.

Wow, your nearest Wendy's is 50 miles? We're so spoiled! I can drive to two in minutes. (Not that I have even once in 2020).
  • mdubbs1
    DH commented on my weight loss (17 1/2 pounds since 1/1). Is this an imposter? LOL! Plus the cardiologist is happy.

I guess I need to keep going although if I pause to think I gotta admit I sometimes ask myself why.

Then I remind myself that if my heart issues are under control I have some chance of surviving the virus.

All bets are off this weekend, though. You only turn 70 once (and who knows if I'll see 71). I have, however, resisted the strong pull of my thoughts that want me to extend it. That's what always happens. I have also been very careful in what I purchased to stick to the 2-day limit.

• mdubbs1
    I've had emails from my dentist who is closing their office except for emergencies (at the suggestion of the Maryland dental association) and my cats' cardiologist who is doing the same thing as my vet - not letting parents in the office.
  • mdubbs1
    Although we are one of the bluest states in the nation (for which I am constantly grateful) we have a Republican governor. Go figure. I didn't vote for him but I will say that he has stepped up to the plate already during this crisis. And he's openly criticizing the cheeto for which I give him credit.
  • mdubbs1
    edited March 2020
    From the Post:

"So Mitch McConnell thinks his prospective Democratic opponent should stop running mean ads against him during the coronavirus crisis.

The poor dear."
  • mdubbs1
    Also from the Post: suggestion Trump could escape by announcing he's not seeking a second term in order to devote all his attention to the crisis. Leaving after the election, before inauguration, so that Pence could pardon him.

We can only hope.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Maryanne--We have a Gino's Italian restaurant here and that is it so if we want something different we have to go to the city an hour or more away depending upon location in city. You have done a great job with your weight loss.

Australia has closed its borders, so unless things improve this will be another trip we had planed and paid for that will not take place. Because of my niece's health issues, she wanted to go back one more time. We had the travel insurance that would pay if we couldn't go because of medical reasons. As I understand it if the we don't go, the only way it will pay is if we have contracted the virus. This is one expensive year!
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Given the circumstances, perhaps you could reschedule the trip in the fall without too bad a penalty. After all, you can’t visit a country that has shut its borders. So far, I’m staying positive that things will eventually get better. America has gotten through tough times before and we can do it through this situation too. I’ve read about or heard on TV about the many kindnesses people are extending to others through these times. Another good thing is we’re posting more frequently to encourage each other in this and in our weight loss journeys.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Given the circumstances, perhaps you could reschedule the trip in the fall without too bad a penalty. After all, you can’t visit a country that has shut its borders. So far, I’m staying positive that things will eventually get better. America has gotten through tough times before and we can do it through this situation too. I’ve read about or heard on TV about the many kindnesses people are extending to others through these times. Another good thing is we’re posting more frequently to encourage each other in this and in our weight loss journeys.

Definitely that's good! I am SO thankful I have some online folks to talk to. My friends here are, for the most part, making light of it. That may be just a defense mechanism.
  • mdubbs1
    Of course if I survive and our cats or the colony cats don't, I may wish I hadn't survived.
  • KonaKat
    Helene--My ticket was a frequent flier ticket so I can pay to have the miles put back into my account. I paid several hundred to upgrade to the more spacious Economy Plus. That is non-refundable as is the hotel. Time will tell as we can't do anything until the week before the flight if Australia becomes open.

I had a hair appointment scheduled for tomorrow as it is too long and out of control. I could't get one earlier. The governor just closed all nail and hair salons and barbershops effective at Midnight. I'm losing motivation to do anything.
  • Helene610
    Jean, I’m sorry your appointment was canceled. The only upside is that nobody will see it while you’re staying at home. I had my nails done and haircut about 2 weeks ago. So I probably have 2-3 weeks before I start to need a refresher. I stopped coloring my hair about 10 years ago so I won’t have roots showing. I have a salt and pepper look that I like. I’m strictly a wash a go woman.
  • KonaKat
    to1cnq6adgg6.png
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - the black cats rule!!
  • mdubbs1
    DH just did the census online. It asked almost no questions. I've seen the census information on ancestry.com for prior decades and it had a LOT more information. I wonder what the thought process was in asking so little. Oh, well, they can't legally release this year's info for 50 years and we'll be long gone.
  • mdubbs1
    Photographer caught photo of the cheeto's black sharpie changed speech - from corona virus to Chinese virus -

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-coronavirus-chinese-virus-photograph-racism_n_5e73eaa4c5b6f5b7c54130a5
  • KonaKat
    Morning! 3,000 steps in since 5am.

y95oiagnd1ax.png
  • KonaKat
    urc5ubj7brhp.png
  • Helene610
    I’ve lost count of what day home is. Not that we don’t have plenty of things to do. DH is working in the master bath. I’ve mentioned that we had to get new plumbing, shower heads and tile. DH is replacng the light in the shower, replacing the vent fan and then patching the ceiling. The custom shower door is in. The company called yesterday to see if we wanted it installed that day. DH told them Monday or Tuesday since he has a couple of days work to finish up. Right now, he has the shower floor covered in paper which needs to be removed before the door installation. I could star working on our taxes. I organized some of the paperwork but we need to fill out the accountant’s paperwork. She lives in NC so we’ve done our taxes by mail, phone and email for years. Nobody will have to break social distancing to get them done.

Jean, that thing you posted on how social distancing improves
  • Helene610
    I hit return too soon. I was starting to say that it’s eye opening to see the difference the degree of social distancing makes.

Maryanne, I’m not at all surprised about the black sharpie. Nothing he does shocks me these days.
    I’m watching the news. The kindnesses of people are amazing. The local schools are packing breakfast and lunch packages so no children go hungry during the emergency. They also are giving Chrome-books to any student who doesn’t have a laptop at home. They are doing WiFi hotspots for those without internet access. Things like that will get us through this.