2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    edited April 2020
    Why would they open restaurants before schools? Putting aside the big issue of priorities (which I think is a big issue to set aside). Among other things - How can waitresses go back to work if their kids can't go to school? And who would go to a restaurant? Not to mention that the liability to the restaurant owner would be huge (at the risk of sounding like a lawyer).
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - I'm glad you're surgery is scheduled!

• mdubbs1
    I'm supposed to be getting my first order today from Giant Foods (aka Peapod). Their web site is down so who knows? LONG delivery window - 6:30-1. And a rainy day. So all in all, should be interesting. Meanwhile I've got a work emergency (another one; mostly totally manufactured; and this one totally is).
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Texas is reopening slowly as well. The adjacent suburb to us jumped the gun last week, allowing restaurants with patios to open, as well as gyms and salons by appointment only. The rest of the state is allowing restaurants to reopen tomorrow at 25% capacity, as well as retail, movie theaters, and malls. However, many of the restaurants and movie theaters are saying they can’t make a profit at 25% capacity so many are opting to remain closed longer. I think it’s going to be a long time before life returns to any semblance of what is was before Covid 19.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Today's stats that show how we compare to the nation and our border states:

ks80u0yvl2pd.png
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    I was surprised by DeSantos’s lifting orders to close so soon. He cited the low number of hospitalization compared to capacity. Only a small number of ventilators are in use and the number of units sitting idle. He didn’t mention if they would send ventilators to states that still need them. Miami through Palm Beach still has higher numbers of patients and he said that’s because of the larger number of New Yorkers who visited there before we knew the dangers of Covid 19. The west coast of FL tends to get visitors from the mid west because of their proximity to I 75. Most east coast visitors take I 95 which runs from Maine to Miami. We’re part of the rare east coasters who visit this side of the state. It’s quieter and more nature oriented than the east coast. We don’t have clubs and nightlife here. That’s why the governor left those areas closed.

Sanibel and Captiva are opening the beaches back yet. I haven’t heard if they’ve lifted the rental market yet. It’s been closed 4 weeks to limit new people from coming here. During that time, you had to own a place or have a long term seasonal rental to stay on the islands. Because of that, we only had 7 cases here.
  • mdubbs1
    I heard one of the governors say they were looking for 3 days in a row of decreased cases.

I have logic problems with that:

Without testing we have NO idea how many cases we have.

If cases are legitimately decreasing it's because we're social distancing not in spite of social distancing. Take away the social distancing.....Duh

Somehow the cheeto has in his pea brain that everything will be back to normal and he'll win re-election if he just convinces the governors to re-open their states.

I heard one commentator throw up his hands and say he guesses folks are just going to have to learn the hard way. They'll do the re-opening, more people will get sick and die, they'll all have eggs on their faces, and have to do a 180.

Meanwhile just hope you don't need a hospital or urgent care any time in the near future.

I drove by an urgent care yesterday that I go by many times a week and the parking lot is always full and people are parked on the street and at wahlgreens. The parking lot only had a few cars. Maybe people are finally learning.

• Helene610
    People in my area have done a good job of social distancing. GFL is ramping up testing too. I’ll still be cautious about where we go. We’ll still mostly stay home and keep our distance. And we’ll wear. masks when we go out.
  • mdubbs1
    Heaven knows I'm already very tired of food deliveries. It's like a new part time job. But I don't want to rush anything just for that reason. LOL!
  • mdubbs1
    What I'm really worried about is the cheeto letting the post office fail because of his feud with Jeff Bezos.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I contacted the cardiologist to let him know about the upcoming rotator cuff surgery. He will have to communicate with the orthopaedic surgeon regarding the blood thinner, plus an updated EKG likely will be needed.

We won't be returning to "normal;" in our state, we often hear the phrase, the "new normal," meaning things will not be the same but will hint at it, and will require caution, safety measures, etc. translated that until a vaccine is found, we must continue safety measures.

I am wondering about the start of school. We normally begin the second week of August. Will things be under control enough that the social distancing of six feet will not be needed. I'm picturing classrooms with desks six feet apart. The elementary schools often used big tables with several students at a table. That wouldn't work if they have to keep a distance between them. Some classsrooms were full so how would there be room to expand the distance between students? Even in some high school classes, it would be an issue.
  • Helene610
    The school issue seems particularly daunting. On the one hand, they may end up with fewer students in a classroom which would be a good thing. Teachers have been saying class sizes are too big for years. Maybe they would take over cafeterias and gyms to make classrooms. Or they could add portable classrooms to existing schools. Maybe some parents would decide to homeschool if they don’t think their children could be safe at school. Whatever happens, it won’t look like the world we knew last January.
  • mdubbs1
    j4y8j55n8lab.png
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    j4y8j55n8lab.png

Eieio
  • mdubbs1
    Here a baa, there a baa!

(okay, I know that's the goat version but I couldn't find a sheep version)
  • mdubbs1
    The president has turned his coronavirus briefings into an odd variety show.

ow7hikaclna2.png
  • mdubbs1
    e0ril706qrz4.png
  • mdubbs1
    6ihrh1kyr9uy.png
  • mdubbs1
    tao4ghao2d0o.png
  • mdubbs1