2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Love the memes!

I am not sure right now that I will be having the surgery as I have yet to discuss it with the orthopaedic surgeon. All I know is that this week the pain has greatly diminished. I have done housework using that arm with little side effects. Yes, there are some positions I get it in that it might complain but not to the point it was in early March. I slept on that shoulder and arm last night with no problems.

Do I want to trade the current inconvenience which I know how to manage to a full year of major inconvenience, not driving for six weeks, PT for months, plus add to it that I am in a high risk category for the surgery not doing what it should or create additional complications. When you live by yourself, this is a major step, and at my age of a recent 78, I don't want to live with a possible full year of healing including the different PT stages. I had this in the other arm years ago with no surgery. It took cortisone shots in shoulder, PT and natural healing. It worked well so I really hope this is a good option now.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    Jean - that's a tough choice! Sounds like you've laid out the options pretty well! Have you talked to them about the cortisone/PT? Of course I have no idea how PT is working these days but they might be able to show you what to do at home.
  • mdubbs1
    sf6ywqkebrka.png
  • mdubbs1
    zbnjr5ienhl4.png
  • KonaKat
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    Jean - that's a tough choice! Sounds like you've laid out the options pretty well! Have you talked to them about the cortisone/PT? Of course I have no idea how PT is working these days but they might be able to show you what to do at home.

Maryanne--I have yet to see the orthopedic surgeon. I see him on May 12 for the first time. People have great opinions of him, but perhaps this odd time is causing them to operate differently now that elective procedures are available. Perhaps they were trying to lock in a surgery time just in case it was needed.
  • mdubbs1
    KonaKat wrote: »
    mdubbs1 wrote: »

Maryanne--I have yet to see the orthopedic surgeon. I see him on May 12 for the first time. People have great opinions of him, but perhaps this odd time is causing them to operate differently now that elective procedures are available. Perhaps they were trying to lock in a surgery time just in case it was needed.

There are some unsung heroes around. And not just now. When I broke my wrist, it turned out the week I saw the orthopaedic surgeon (on a Wednesday), unbeknownst to me he was about to take off on a multi week vacation. One of his employees saw my appointment and reserved me a surgery slot on Friday. I don't even know which one and never had the chance to thank her but I owe her.
  • mdubbs1
    I had a mini meltdown this morning. I have a favorite cat at the colonies. DH won't agree to us adopting him (I keep asking). The other feeder called me to tell me she hadn't seen him for two days. Added to work stress (I have NO idea how I'm going to get all the work done in May that I'm supposed to do), two evenings of fighting with the stupid new DVR (a great example of how the world is dumbing everything down), and dealing with food deliveries. Plus I'm worried about the post office and how we'll do fund raising with no post office. And when I'll be able to catch up on doctor appointments. And see my dad and friends. And basically I had a brief meltdown. I recovered and went to feed and Big Guy was there. YEAH! Thank heavens for small favors.
  • mdubbs1
    qky1vwocxac7.png
  • mdubbs1
    k07q03r881fo.png
  • mdubbs1
    rcxqfbt3soxl.png
  • KonaKat
    edited May 2020
    Maryanne--The lady in the orthopaedic's office was looking out for you. We all have those melt downs at times. I am glad that Big Guy was there; one less stressor!

A model has been developed to estimate when each state can start easing its social distancing. Just another thing to take with a grain of salt, but it predicts West Virginia will reach that point first. How is this determined?

So one team of disease modelers — from the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation or IHME — has come up with a different standard. They are asking the question: What is the maximum number of new infections that states could handle with their current testing and contact tracing capacity?
    IHME's answer: 1 new infection per million people in a given state.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/25/844088634/when-is-it-safe-to-ease-social-distancing-heres-what-one-model-says-for-each-sta?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR1FKp1fbP29-F6VtmjJ0hgTNJhppiDt9OuslY2YSTUP71_AKTsSbpuB7M8
  • mdubbs1
    There were idiots protesting in MD yesterday. Do these people not watch the news? How can you watch the interviews with ER and ICU doctors and nurses and think this is no big deal? They asked a bunch of them last evening whether businesses should be reopening and I think many of them had to think a minute to translate what they wanted to say into something that wouldn't be bleeped.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Texas began easing restrictions Friday and I think it was too soon. Especially since the number of confirmed cases has continued to rise daily over the past week in my county and in Dallas county, as have the numbers of hospitalizations and deaths. Our hospitals are not overwhelmed, yet, but why risk it? I don’t plan to take advantage of the eased restrictions until I see a downward trend in the numbers. No in-person shopping in retail stores or dining out for me. I disagree with the continued ban on reopening hair salons and nail salons however. If it’s safe enough to go to the dentist, I think it’s safe enough to get my hair done. I can no logic in allowing one but not the other.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    FL eases some restrictions tomorrow in a phased approach. We’ll continue to be cautious for a while. I think there will be a new surge of cases because some states moved to fast.
  • mdubbs1
    Dentists aren't open here except for emergencies. Same with vets.

I can't see myself going to the hairdresser for a long time to come even if they said we could. Just not worth the risk.
  • mdubbs1
    uesvda7vam9s.png
  • mdubbs1
    ob16t2jngdem.png
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    zdkdnqahc8t5.jpeg
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - too funny!
  • mdubbs1
    I've been looking at freezers online for a couple months now but every time I do I slap myself up side the head and say to myself "it would be overkill" and "DH would never consider it".

Well, guess who decided we need another freezer. I think the tipping point was realizing we have no room for anything he grows in his garden.

Apparently freezers started selling out in January (some people actually started stocking up before I did - hmmmm). He thinks he bought one on Home Depot. "Think" being the operative word. The web site took the order but after charging his card displayed an "unavailable" message. So he's trying to get customer service.

Meanwhile he actually started de-cluttering a corner of the basement where he figures it would have to go. In the process he found ---- a huge package of toilet paper, a huge package of paper towels, several packages of kleenex - and an entire case of face masks. He figures he found his stash from the last scare.

I've now got visions of someone coming in and cleaning out our house and finding all this stockpile I've created and any earlier stockpiles he may have created. Strange vision. LOL!