2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    PamS53 wrote: »
    My nephew really is an impressive young man. In addition to being extremely smart, he is a wonderful husband, father, son and friend. He is an only child and so is his wife, but neither exhibits any of the typical self-centeredness that you often see in only children. Im very proud of him, if you can’t tell, lol.

And it sounds like you have every right to be!!
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Your nephew’s dinner looked spectacular.Is he a chef? Plus he has a Bobby Flay vibe going. He looks like he should have a Food Network show.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    My nephew is an engineer, working for ExxonMobil. He’s an avid mountain biker, has done several triathlons, frequently competes in bike races, enjoys skiing and snowboarding, diving and almost any other sport. He’s also into performance cars and just sold a Dodge Viper for 6 figures. His wife joins him in most of his athletic endeavors. She is an RN, and was recently promoted to Director of Nurses for the neurological ICU at a large hospital in The Woodlands, Texas. They met in band when she was a junior and he a sophomore and have been together ever since except for one breakup that lasted about 2 months. The breakup ended when he crashed his motorcycle and rearranged his face, lol. That brought them back together. They have a 5 year old son and a 2 year old daughter and stay so busy it makes my head spin.

I’m going tonight to get a manicure and pedicure. I’ll wear my mask and I know the person providing my services will as well. I’m not worried about exposure under these circumstances. I also have a hair appointment, but the earliest time I could get is on 5/25. Of the two appointments, I’m happier waiting to get my hair done than my nails. I’m so ready to get them looking nice again.
  • Helene610
    I would definitely take a nail appointment before I’d take a hair appointment. My nails are a mess. They’re a short, stubby mess. I had beautiful nails before the shut down. I got the polish off and trimmed and filed the nails. But they are very weak now and break easily. Having the dry powder strengthens and protects them. I can hide my hair under a hat but my nails are front and center for all to see.

Your nephew and his wife sound like very accomplished people. How nice to have them in your family.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Pam--That meal looks absolutely devine and appetising.

Maryanne--Congrats upon the weight loss. Any loss is to be celebrated.

Helen--You will feel like a new person once you get your nails done.

I had the appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon yesterday. I'll be having the surgery as the tear is almost complete and will not heal on its own. In addition, the other muscles are becoming weak from trying to do too much work to compensate. I am also losing strength on that side. It will be a long haul of recovery, but I have nothing planned for the Summer that can't wait. Since holding something by the hand of that arm is limited to the weight of a cup of coffee, I think major decluttering will wait.

May 29 is the big date. Before that date, I will get my car serviced, naills done, and a fresh supply of groceries from the Walmart grocery pick up.
  • Helene610
    Sorry it’s come to surgery but better sooner than later. What’s the expected recovery time? Your preparations sound very well thought out. I can’t think of anything you missed. Do you have plenty of cat food? Do you have a surgery date yet?
  • Helene610
    I have the new Baldacci book on hold at the library. They are doing contactless pickup two days a week at my branch. I requested it in December and my name just came up. I can go Thursday or Saturday, park in the pickup spot and call the phone number on the sign. I give my library card number and staff will check it out and bring it out to the car. I didn’t think I’d be able to get it before I had to go home because the library was closed.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene - I've got a bunch of my favorite authors backing up on my kindle because I haven't been able to concentrate enough to read anything but fluff (which translates in the lasst 60 days or so to romantic comedy).
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - the slog of p/t won't be fun but getting your arm back will be great! (I'm practicing my pollyanna skills.)
  • Helene610
    Maryanne, congratulations on your we progress. I’ve gain a couple of pounds from stress snacking and not enough walking. I have to reboot my efforts.
  • PamS53
    That’s the second time this week I’ve typed a post and lost it before I could post it.

Jean, good luck on your preparations for surgery and the rehab to follow. I know you’re not looking forward to it, but I’m sure once the surgery and rehab are over, you’ll be glad you did it. You’ve been dealing with the pain and resultant limitations for so long, you’ve probably forgotten how it feels to be pain free and have full use of your arm. If possible, you might consider allowing your friends to set up a Meal Train to help you out for a few weeks. In addition to food, they can be used to assist with chores you might not be able to do for awhile, such as lawn mowing, moving trash cans, driving to pick up necessities such as prescriptions and food, etc. When my niece’s SIL’s husband committed suicide a few years ago, their friends set up a meal train that helped her with all of those things and more. She was at home with their newborn daughter so she really needed the help with lawn care, etc. as much or more than the food. As for the food, she set a large cooler with a good lid that latched on her front porch so that meals could be left without disturbing her since she wasn’t always up for a conversation when deliveries were made. Anyway, if any of your friends are willing, this might be helpful for you, at least for a few weeks until you have your arm back.

I thoroughly enjoyed my mani/pedi last night. The salon owner had taken all the precautions recommended and I felt safe in the environment. I tipped both of the technicians who worked on me generously in cash since they were unable to work for several weeks.
  • KonaKat
    The surgery is May 29 and post-surgery check up is June 8. I am looking at 6 months of PT and a year for full recovery. I have a lawn person who I haven't seen because of the virus. He is reliable and does work without supervision. I leave his payment in an envelope in a secure place on the deck so no social distancing violations are done. As to meals, I have a supply of shelf stable Nutrisystem ready to go as well as some frozen entrees. People here are very cautious about the virus and still are remaining with family with only essential business being conducted with people outside of the home.

Believe it or not, we still have no residents of our county diagnosed with the virus. There may be some but hiding out without being tested. Out of 55 counties, we are one of the three still not having verified cases. People here are very reluctant to venture out but do so only when it is personally necessary. When I go to the city, I go for the designated purpose and return without having any fun. It is life inside the house, watching TV and walking outside of house for a few minutes for fresh air. The town is a ghost town when I have to go to the drug store.
  • Helene610
    That surprising that there are no cases in your county. I wonder if it’s because few people have been tested. We now have one drive up testing site that anyone can go to for a test. The first couple days there were long lines. On the news today, they said there were no longer lines and they were encouraging people to come get tested. I don’t know if you need to be a FL resident.
  • PamS53
    I’m a little confused about the value of testing if one is not exhibiting any symptoms. I know it’s possible to have a mild case of the virus and not exhibit any symptoms, but I’d think those aren’t that common. I think here you can still only get tested if you are exhibiting some symptoms, primarily a fever of 100.4 or higher. I’m more interested in antibody testing. When that becomes more reliable and available I might go for that. I did have a day last month where I ran a fever, had a headache, and moderate body aches. It only lasted a day and I think my fever never went above 100.2, but I’d be interested to know if that’s what I had. The fact that it only lasted for 1 day makes me question it, but I have no other explanation for the symptoms.
  • mdubbs1
    I thought the value of testing was knowing who the non symptomatic carriers are who are still transmitting the disease, without which we can't really do complete contact tracing?

I agree antibody testing may be important, once we know whether or not the tests work, whether having antibodies protects against re-infection, and for how long.

Maryland is partially re-opening Friday but I won't be changing anything I'm doing.

I just hate how the government has squandered the two months of sacrifice everyone has made.
  • KonaKat
    These are the requirements for testing in our state:

Since early March, two groups have been and remain prioritized for COVID-19 testing through OLS. These groupings prioritize the likelihood of finding disease (testing those who are most likely to have been exposed), support care for those most at risk, and support proper infection control in the healthcare setting. Individuals prioritized for testing by OLS include the following:

1) Seriously ill individuals hospitalized or otherwise at high risk of complications: This includes seriously ill individuals with symptoms of COVID-19 who are hospitalized, near hospitalization or otherwise at highest risk of poor health outcomes (e.g., those who are elderly or have serious underlying chronic diseases, nursing home residents, etc.) AND who do not have another identified cause for their illness (e.g., flu, other respiratory viruses). No history of potential exposure is needed for these patients.
    OR
    2) Individuals at medium to high risk of having been infected: This includes any individual with symptoms of lower respiratory illness (fever, cough, shortness of breath) AND a history of likely exposure to COVID-19 within 14 days of symptom onset (e.g., close contact with an individual confirmed to have COVID-19 or recent travel history from or living in areas with widespread community transmission) AND do not have another identified cause for their illness (e.g., flu, or other respiratory viruses).

These are slight modifications of CDC Guidelines, focusing on those most ill in criteria one above, given that supplies are limited, and some products remain on backorder in West Virginia and nationally. They are subject to change. For current testing criteria, visit coronavirus.wv.gov.
  • KonaKat
    This is a summary as of May 13:

eks0yf80nfhy.png
  • KonaKat
    edited May 2020

1od9l920a06z.png

The first chart which has the cumulative percent positive test results is one of the major figures that the State is watching as it loosens things up.

• KonaKat
    The statistics show that WV has a higher percentage of population tested than the national average. For example, the national average is 2.910% being tested but WV is 3.750%. Maryland is 2.786%.

If we look at percentage of positive test results, the nation if 14.11% but WV is 2.10% and Maryland is 20.09%. WV is surrounded by states having higher percentages. We are primarily rural and people have been encouraged since early March to stay put and not travel, plus there was a 14 day quarantine on anyone wanting to come into the state unless already employed there but lived out of state.
  • mdubbs1
    vghm4swsga1k.png