2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    Jean - it still boggles my mind how far you have to travel for groceries. What a contrast to me juggling half a dozen or more food delivery services to learn their quirks/see which ones I like best/etc.

There are apparently even two different walmart delivery services that delivery to me. One is shelf goods; the other is fresh foods.

• mdubbs1
    I'm putting together a birthday gift for a friend whose health and finances are both iffy. I hope to meet her in the vet's parking lot next week (if she stays in the driver's seat and I put food in the front seat through the passenger window hopefully we'll be okay (I'd put in the back but that would make it harder for her to unload). She told me she wasn't worried about toilet paper because she still had two rolls. Not packages, rolls. So I'm taking her a couple packages. Plus amazon and walmart gift cards, some JC food I don't like, and a bunch of packets. She tells me she has enough food and litter. I keep asking. I have her address set up in Chewy so it's easy for me to send her that (she's got one of our permanent fosters). I can't do a lot but I'll do what I can.

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Maryanne, that is very kind of you to be so thoughtful to your friend. I’m sure she will be very appreciative of your very generous gift.

Jean, is the person in your county who tested positive sick? I’m curious about people who test positive but have no symptoms. I really wonder how many people there are who have had the virus but never knew it.
  • mdubbs1
    edited May 2020
    I so admire the folks who are feeding everyone! I saw a drive thru food pickup this morning (when I was out feeding the colonies and driving the long way home) and just had to look them up to see if I could figure out how to donate. It seems it's a Baptist church. No paypal link. You can give them your bank account info (seriously account number and routing info) but I think I'll pass. That's a shame though.

xzrcf4tzf5k1.png
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »

Jean, is the person in your county who tested positive sick? I’m curious about people who test positive but have no symptoms. I really wonder how many people there are who have had the virus but never knew it.

And if the cheeto has his way we'll never know. He's now apparently decided that getting more people tested (outside the white house of course) is not in his best re-election interests.

• mdubbs1
    Our new/second freezer is being delivered as I type. They were supposed to call 1/2 hour in advance - they didn't. They were supposed to be wearing masks - only one is. And they are blocking the street (because they were unannounced we didn't have time to move parked cars).
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    One of my friends needed service from her electric company. The fellow who showed up wasn’t wearing a mask. She asked if he had one and he said it was in the truck. At that point, he went back and got but unbelievable that she even had to ask.

I went to one of our local markets and they had pre-packed grocery bags on a table $10 each. You brought it to check out, paid and they gave it to the local food bank. I added two to my order. Like you, I’d been wondering how to donate and this made it so easy. They’ve also had stories on the news about how hard some families have it. One veteran waited hours in line for two days only to find the food ran out before he got to the front of the line. Many viewers contacted the station for his contact info. They donated money, gift cards and food to his family. With all the bad things happening, so many people are helping where they can. That was so nice of you to help your friend with food and gift cards.

Pam, I’m glad you were able to socialize with your friends. Other than people in the few stores we go to, we haven’t socialized since early March. I’ve been reading and binge watching movies to pass the time.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Maryanne, I was thinking about your comment about the church not having a way to donate directly to their food program. You mentioned that you can donate by providing your bank account number and routing info but you’re reluctant to do that, which is understandable. What I was wondering about though is if you sent a check, wouldn’t that info be on the check? Nowadays we mostly pay our bills electronically, using our bank’s bill paying service, but we used to write checks for everything and never gave a thought about how the recipient now had access to our banking info. Has something changed now that makes sending a physical check more of a risk? Clearly I have too much time on my hands if I’m sitting around thinking deep thoughts about banking, but there you go.
  • mdubbs1
    edited May 2020
    I guess I've gotten super cautious. I guess I was just surprised not to find a paypal link but to be asked for detailed bank information. Totally not in the mainstream. I need to dig into what other organizations are providing food in Maryland.
  • mdubbs1
    6qq3ls2l0dzy.png
  • mdubbs1
    edited May 2020
    I lost a pound last week. What's sort of weird is I'm wearing exactly the same size clothes I was wearing 44.5 pounds ago. Of course my pants are knit and have an elastic waist and I've always loved super oversize t-shirts. (All of which are exactly what I've lived in since I've worked at home.)

u5jax92najpm.png

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Maryanne--Congrats upon your weight loss. Keep up the good work with that and also with helping others while being a safe as possible.

Pam--The hospital didn't release the name of the employee but at the time of the routine testing apparently they were not sick. I have no idea what is transpiring with that peron now as the individual has not confessed on FB, etc.

Helene--Those prepackaged food donation bags are a great idea.

I am just doing odds and ends around the house to get ready for the surgery on the 29th.

This may be the first Memorial Day in which I have not decorated my parents' graves. It isn't that I don't want to, but flower arrangements are hard to find so far as I haven't gone into stores. I may check out the local florist to see what they would charge for a silk flower arrangement. I also am not happy about going to that cemetery when I don't feel the best. It is on the top of a hill with no cell service should help be needed.
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - that's sweet of you to do your parents' grave. I've never, in 20 years. been back to my mother's "grave". I was never sure why she even has one. She was cremated but my dad had the urn buried with a headstone. Since the wicked stepmother was buried with her first husband, I assume we're supposed to bury dad's ashes with mom's. I guess I'm weird but it strikes me as truly bizarre to bury an urn. Why not scatter her ashes somewhere she loved? I even know where that would be. And it isn't remotely where her urn is.

Anyway, I think I'm trying to get to this - there are plenty of ways you can honor your parents this memorial day if you can't get to the cemetery.
  • Helene610
    Jean, Memorial Day is just a date on the calendar. It’s more important that you stay safe. If you were to fall, you could do more damage to your shoulder or hurt other parts of your body. It might even affect your surgery date. You could put a pot of flowers on your deck or in the house with a photo of your parents. The advantage of doing that is you’d see it every day instead of just the day you went to the cemetery. So many things have to be done differently this year in the name of safety. It doesn’t have to be less meaningful though.
  • Helene610
    Maryanne, when things settle down, consider buying an outfit that fits. You have to be 2-3 sizes smaller with a 40 pound plus loss. If you wear the same baggy clothes, you won’t appreciate the difference. Think of it as your post quarantine reward for all your hard work.

When I saw my sister in November, she asked why my pants were so baggy. I wasn’t really aware they were but she was right. The same thing with my shirts. Take a photo of yourself wearing and old and then the new outfit. The photo is just for yourself so you can see the difference. I want to do the same thing myself. I also need new bras. I used to use the first set of hooks. Now I’m using the third hook so I must be down a size or two. I’ll bet that’s true for you too unless you’ve replaced yours recently.
  • mdubbs1
    My friend Bonnie's vet is at it again:

zd9geg9c0kci.png
  • Helene610
    Love it. What town? Not that I’ll be driving by, but inquiring minds want to know. When boredom kicks in, the bar for learning goes way down. LOL
  • mdubbs1
    edited May 2020
    Westminster, MD (it's north of Baltimore in Carroll County MD)

I thought I had posted more of their signs. Anyway, here are 30:

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-carroll-county-veterinary-clinic-signs/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

• mdubbs1
    Restaurant using stuffed pandas as seat fillers. Much cuter (and less creepy) than the blowup dollars I saw someone was using.

ti8d9ph81b97.png
  • Helene610
    I saw the dressed blow up dolls on the news. In one restaurant, they were dressing them in 1940s clothes. It actually looked interesting. More normal looking than crime scene tape on tables. My church will have Mass this weekend. There are lots of rules on using one entrance, wearing masks, bringing hand sanitizers, socially distancing in the pews. You might even have to reserve a seat to keep occupancy limits. I wouldn’t feel safe going yet so I’ll continue watching it online.