2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    I'll tell one on myself. When I emptied out the full to overflowing freezer to split everything between 2 freezers, I found a whole bunch of.....something. Dated 3/1. Looked like either chicken or pork. More like chicken breast but I couldn't figure out why I would have ordered that much chicken breast. DH likes dark meat so we usually have thighs. I found my omaha steaks order and sure enough, it's a whole bunch of individually packaged chicken breast fillets. Panic buying at its finest I guess. I may have been thinking I could use them as protein servings if I couldn't get what I usually use (I usually buy a rotisserie chicken every week.) I bet they're truly tasteless though.
  • mdubbs1
    jf0mahqnahaa.png
  • mdubbs1
    The cheeto endangering people and making money - again -

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/july-4-trump-mall-hotel_n_5eca1626c5b601360207e973
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Maryanne, you can add flavor to those chicken breasts with seasonings. I like them because they cook quickly. Seasonings and marinades make a huge difference!
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Maryanne, you can add flavor to those chicken breasts with seasonings. I like them because they cook quickly. Seasonings and marinades make a huge difference!

Anything you can tell me without doing a lot of homework?

I know I can google!
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    If you have nothing else in the house, you can marinate in Italian salad dressing. Put some in a ziplock baggie, add the chicken, seal it and shake it to distribute the flavor. Put it in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. You can also leave it in the refrigerated bag for several hours if you want. Bake or grill the chicken as you normally would cook it. You can buy bottled marinades in the salad dressing aisle but I know you’re limiting shopping trips.
  • PamS53
    Helene’s suggestion of Italian dressing is good. I also like to season mine with lemon pepper and salt if I don’t have time to marinate it. Barbecue sauce is always a good choice as well. Any marinade should contain a little bit of oil as well as an acid, such as lemon juice or vinegar (I love balsamic vinegars for marinades), and whatever seasonings you like. The oil is needed to make the seasonings stick to the chicken, but it doesn’t take much. Another simple idea is to put the chicken breasts in a zip lock bag and pour in some teriyaki sauce. Usually it’s best to marinate chicken for 2-4 hours before cooking. Marinating too long can cause the texture of the meat to become very mushy, especially if the marinade contains a strong acid as it breaks down the fibers in the meat.
  • mdubbs1
    Thanks, ladies! I discovered I've got a lot of these so I can try different things!!!
  • Helene610
    Let us know how they come out. I’d like to know which marinades worked best for you.
  • PamS53
    Maryanne, I haven’t tried the marinade in this blog post, but according to the author, it’s the best marinade in existence! If you try it, let us know what you think.

https://www.withablast.net/best-marinade-in-existence/
  • mdubbs1
    edited May 2020
    From the Washington Post:

Can we stop pretending Trump is fit to be president?

At various times over the past three and a half years, many of us have asked what would happen if President Trump truly went over the edge or if his behavior became so frightening that his unfitness for the most powerful position on Earth could no longer be denied.

But the human capacity for denial is apparently almost infinite. Let’s review what our president has been up to in the past few days:

With the death toll from covid-19 about to top 100,000, Trump has offered almost nothing in the way of tributes to the dead, sympathy for their families, or acknowledgement of our national mourning. By all accounts he is barely bothering to manage his administration’s response to the pandemic, preferring to focus on cheerleading for an economic recovery he says is on its way, even as he feeds conspiracy theories about the death toll being inflated. This weekend, he went golfing.

In a Twitter spasm on Saturday and Sunday, Trump retweeted mockery of former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams’s weight and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-Calif.) looks, along with a tweet calling Hillary Clinton a “skank.”

Eager to start a new culture war flare-up, he urged churches to open and gather parishioners in a room to breathe the same air, threatening that he would “override” governors whose shutdown orders still forbade such gatherings. The president has no such power.

He all but accused talk show host Joe Scarborough of murdering a young woman who died in 2001 in the then-congressman’s district office, bringing untold torture to her family from the conspiracy theorists who will respond to his accusation.

He has repeatedly insisted that the upcoming election is being “rigged” because states run by both Republicans and Democrats are making it easier to vote by mail, seeking to delegitimize a vote that has yet to occur, despite the substantial evidence that mail voting advantages neither party.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/25/can-we-stop-pretending-trump-is-fit-be-president/
  • mdubbs1
    From the NY Times:

There is not only blood on Trump’s hands, he is drenched in it like the penultimate scene from the movie “Carrie.”
  • mdubbs1
    t62y4stg29ml.png
  • mdubbs1
    I lost a pound last week. The pounds are getting harder. I keep giving myself little speeches to stick with it.

sksu1pkxu7bi.png
  • PamS53
    Maryanne, you really are doing great! Even though the last pounds are the hardest to lose, you’ll get there. And your BMI is almost in the normal range, too!
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Maryanne, you really are doing great! Even though the last pounds are the hardest to lose, you’ll get there. And your BMI is almost in the normal range, too!

DH actually noticed I was losing weight. LOL! He asked how I picked the goal. It's exactly where I squeak into "normal".

Sometimes I watch the folks on My 600-LB life eating huge mounds of fast food, bemoaning "why can't I lose weight" and telling Dr. Now "I'm following the program" and think, boy, they are either lying through their teeth or completely clueless. He doesn't go with crutches like liquid diet or prepared diet foods. I can see the reasoning behind that. But in that case one thing I don't get is why he doesn't have them keep a food journal and count calories. They'd either have to log honestly or KNOW they were lying when they didn't write down certain thing and handed over an incomplete journal.
  • Helene610
    They probably would lie in the journal. Somehow, they convince themselves that they are following Dr Now’s program exactly. Many of them probably need counseling to get at the root of what motivates their destructive behavior. There was a book out years ago called, “It’s not what your eating, It’s what eating you.
  • mdubbs1
    edited May 2020
    June 2 is apparently a big day for book releases in the genre I read:

new that day--- Eve Duncan (Iris Jackson), Ali Reynolds (J.A. Jance), Harriet Blue (James Patterson) and Lucy Kincaid (Allison Brennan)!

• mdubbs1
    edited May 2020
    Helene610 wrote: »
    They probably would lie in the journal. Somehow, they convince themselves that they are following Dr Now’s program exactly. Many of them probably need counseling to get at the root of what motivates their destructive behavior. There was a book out years ago called, “It’s not what your eating, It’s what eating you.

Of course they'd lie but they'd have to lie on paper. I don't know - just seems to me like it would force them to stop and think. It's very, very noticeable that there's never a mention of counting calories on that show. He does send them to "psychotherapy" as he calls it but some of the therapists are a joke on the bulletin boards (see e.g. "Lola"). There have been a couple that seemed credible - especially one who had had weight loss surgery herself.
  • PamS53
    After a disturbing dream last night, I’m a little apprehensive about my hair appointment today for a cut and highlights. In my dream my stylist tried to shave one side of my head, whereupon I pulled out an AR-15 and ended up barricaded in a room with a SWAT team outside! First of all, I really can’t imagine my stylist trying such an extreme style on me. Second, I have never fired a gun in my life and can’t imagine that I ever would. And last, I don’t carry a big enough purse to hide a rifle that large, lol! I rarely remember any of my dreams, but I guess this one was so bizarre my subconscious wanted me to remember it.