2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    dfau5hxnsve0.png
  • mdubbs1
    i7f5atcjqsrr.png
  • mdubbs1
    u2rwcy0ufdra.png
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I’ve been to NYC 3 times now and I thoroughly enjoyed every trip. I wanted to see Hamilton as well, but the last 2 times I was there, ticket prices were still way out of my comfort zone. It will be interesting to see what the city is like when (if?) we ever come out of this. My niece lives across the river in New Jersey with her husband. Since Broadway went dark mid-March, she and her husband have both been out of work. Rumor has it that shows won’t start up again until January, so they are getting a long break. Fortunately they have savings and the unemployment is covering most of their salaries, but they would both rather be working.

I will be automatically eligible to vote by mail because I’m over 65. Currently there is a lawsuit pending that seems headed to the US Supreme Court to extend that privilege to all citizens. I’m hoping it gets fast tracked so that a decision is made before November 3rd.

I would love it if Twitter would ban him. I think we’d see his head explode if it ever happened. Texas has been a red state for several years now, but I think there’s a real chance it could go blue this year. I’m crossing my fingers and toes and hoping it happens.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »

I would love it if Twitter would ban him. I think we’d see his head explode if it ever happened. Texas has been a red state for several years now, but I think there’s a real chance it could go blue this year. I’m crossing my fingers and toes and hoping it happens.

From your lips to...

We came fairly close to getting out Cruz (an effort to which I contributed) but didn't quite make it.

"Cruz defeated O'Rourke by a margin of 50.9 to 48.3 percent; the race was the closest U.S. Senate race in Texas since 1978."
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I wish Twitter could ban Trump for the sum total of his false information tweets. It would hurt him more than them. He’s so addicted to Twitter that he can’t stop posting even though he’s upset with them. You should see his latest FL political ads. One starts out comparing him to a bull in a china shop. That’s supposed to demonstrate he’s not afraid to go toe to toe with China. It continues that he may not be Mr Nice Guy but he gets things done. He includes what he sees as his accomplishments against Covid.

If twitter would ban him that would be epic!!! I might then open a twitter account. Who knows? LOL! His supporters are so delusional. Or at least they're so rascist and generally bigoted might be a better way to put it. Certainly not "Christian" at all so I continue to be bemused by the "southern evangelical" supporters. In fact, the 180 degree opposite of Christian. I was reading a piece today on how his use of "thugs" is code for the N Word (citing examples that go back awhile). DH's baby brother is a cheeto supporter. I thought it was just small business "no regulation" talking but apparently he's also rascist and homophobic and a bunch of other nasty stuff. But they go to church every week. And people wonder why I'm not a fan of organized religion. BTW DH's late mother would be appalled.

In what state do you two vote? Our (Republican of all things) governor has already mandated vote by mail and it started with the June 2 primary.
    We vote in MA. From time to time we say maybe we should look into becoming FL residents. There are tax benefits but we’d have to live hear 6 months of the year. We’ve been staying 5 months in recent years but this year will be here 6 months. The thought of all the things we’d have to change like drivers licenses keeps us from making a decision. My sister switched 2 years ago.
  • mdubbs1
    edited May 2020
    My (now retired) boss became a legal resident of Florida. He also owns home here in Baltimore and in Maine. I'm sure he met the legal requirements but he sure spent a lot of time in Maryland and Maine.

After hearing another scary story about meat packing plants (and boy, has this pandemic shone a light on that industry), I did a Whole Foods meat order. For your amusement here's the amazon photo of the lone bag of meat having been dropped at our front door (the "beware of dog" sign is DH's feeble attempt at scaring burglars and the other two signs are me essentially saying "do not block the door you morons" but more politely).

fw6meyuv2dnr.png
  • mdubbs1
    sxco70qdclyr.png
  • mdubbs1
    rez6dfc8udfh.png
  • Helene610
    I don’t know how carefully FL checks that you were in the state 6 months. Plus the number of part time residents must be in the millions. One of the benefits is a homestead exemption that lowers your property tax. And I’m sure they don’t want to give that break to someone who’s not really a resident. Maybe they spot check. I cut out a news article that explains what you have to change to be a resident. It’s also possible that we could each be a resident of a different. I moved to MA ahead of DH. He was still working in CT and we saw each other weekend. We did that successfully for 3 years. So I guess we’ll think about our options for 2021.
  • mdubbs1
    I wish you guys could see the HUMONGOUS potato I'm baking DH for dinner. One of the downsides of food delivery services - you have no control over size. LOL!
  • Helene610
    I’ve never tried home delivery. I do take out at our favorite deli a couple of times a week. I do grocery shopping as needed at one of the island markets. Many of the seasonal residents left early so things are pretty quiet here. The market required masks of anyone entering the store more than a month ago. They have hand sanitizers dispensers at the entrance and wipes to use on your cart. The aisles have been one way for weeks. I rarely see more than one other shopper in my aisle and I give them space to finish their shopping in that aisle. I used to pay cash for groceries but I’ve switched to credit for everything since I saw a piece on how many germs are on money. The stores are well stocked. The only thing I haven’t seen is hand sanitizers. I did get a bottle at Aldi’s when we were off island for a medical appointment.
  • mdubbs1
    I've tried home delivery now from 8 sources:

Giant
    Weis (regional chain)
    ShopRite (regional chain)
    Amazon Fresh
    Whole Foods
    Walmart grocery (ended up cancelling that; hated it)
    Walmart.com - turns out to be a great source of things not available elsewhere like toilet paper
    Aldi's

I've settled on Giant and Weis for weekly groceries, whole foods and shop rite for occasional orders of things only they have, and walmart.com for some staples.

They are all different in how they work.

Only Weis lets you make special requests.

Giant and Weis both let you change your order up until shortly before it's delivered.

ShopRite is annoying as heck but they have things no one else has.

I feel sort of fancy getting orders from Whole Foods as there is no store that near to us so it's not somewhere I ever went.
  • mdubbs1
    ae34stw9ld85.png
  • mdubbs1
    23uyhwusker7.png
  • Helene610
    I have a Whole Foods back home and one down here as well. Each one is about 20 miles from the house so I don’t go often. They’re produce section is outstanding. They used to have a dedicated gluten free bakery that shipped frozen baked goods to individual stores. Now that gf foods are more regularly available, they don’t seem to be bake as much of their own product. We used to buy almond and cranberry scones from them. They were pricy but delicious.
  • PamS53
    Whole Foods originated in Austin, TX, so they are more common here. Before Amazon bought them, they were known for focusing on wellness and products that promoted that. They do have excellent produce as well as vitamins and supplements, etc. I’ve heard that there have been a lot of changes since Amazon bought them, but since I don’t shop there regularly I’m not sure what exactly has changed.
  • Helene610
    I don’t go there often enough to see anything different. I’m surprised they started in Austin. I would have guessed CA.
  • PamS53
    Austin, Texas is where the University of Texas is located, which is the largest public university in Texas. Austin is known for being quite liberal and somewhat “crunchy”. In fact, one of the slogans associated with the city is “Keep Austin weird.” There is a lot of tech industry based there, including Dell computers, among others. It’s definitely a very unique city, and much of the uniqueness and diversity is driven by being a university town, with a student enrollment of over 50,000 at UT alone. Austin is also the state capitol, with all the craziness that politics imparts.